Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
What if one of said friends ISN'T TAKING precautions @Alexis and has been on holiday back and forth and not quarantining? I love my friend but I cannot get through to him. He says he refuses to live his life that way and has never locked down, even when we were supposed to. He even went on holiday with someone who has COPD, which is a chronic condition. He is lucky to still have both his parents and his grandmother. I feel stupid saying 'oh I'm not going' but I am scared because I know he hasn't been careful.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
What if one of said friends ISN'T TAKING precautions @Alexis and has been on holiday back and forth and not quarantining? I love my friend but I cannot get through to him. He says he refuses to live his life that way and has never locked down, even when we were supposed to. He even went on holiday with someone who has COPD, which is a chronic condition. He is lucky to still have both his parents and his grandmother. I feel stupid saying 'oh I'm not going' but I am scared because I know he hasn't been careful.
I mean.... Honestly. I just wouldn't have contact with someone like that. I know it's your friend but you have to put your own health first. I am so sick of hearing people say stupid things like, it's just a virus, like the cold or flu. I've heard all kind of weird idiotic things about it being a conspiracy and all kinds of utter nonsense. Your friend could feel fine but infect other friends or relatives. My advice is be picky about who you see and spend time with.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I do agree with this, I guess I just needed some validation on it. He really doesn't seem to understand the implications to OTHER people, not just himself. Case in point is bringing a whole load of people from different areas together for dinner. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being stupid about it. Thanks @Alexis

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We (in Northern Ieland are now having restrictions imposed on postcodes. It's madness.
There was some talk of that happening here. I live quite close to a postcode boundary and a hard border would have meant I couldn't go to my usual supermarket on the other side. Fortunately they simply imposed the 5km limit instead.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Florida imposed this multi-stage "re-opening" scheme early in the lockdown, and all but three counties (all to my south) are mostly back to regular business because the case numbers are down (below 5% of those tested). Individual businesses have some self-imposed restrictions (like a restaurant choosing to continue takeout-only even if the county says you can re-open the dining room), but the Dirty Little Secret is that a lot of that isn't directly because of Covid, but because they aren't currently able to re-staff to pre-Covid levels. Some have lost a lot of money and can't afford to hire more people. Others say they list jobs and people simply aren't applying for whatever reason (my guess--they aren't offering enough money). So where I am is much more "recognizable" than even a month ago, but not really back to normal. Masks are still the Ultimate Fashion Accessory, though I think people are getting lax on the social distancing aspect. I'm beginning to think that many people will just wear masks when out in public from now on, Covid or not, since everyone has been so thoroughly spooked by this.

Publix supermarkets (which blanket the state) elected to remove the directional arrows from the floors of the aisles two weeks ago, and people took it as a sign from heaven that things were getting better. Leave it to Publix to show us the light at the end of the tunnel.

The county has offered parents three options for schooling--in-person, at-home, and a hybrid system. A friend who works at one of our high schools said about two-thirds chose in-person instruction, and after a month or so the kids are kind of accustomed to all the precautions. Meanwhile, the next county south hasn't even started school yet because their officials can't agree on...well, anything. But the three counties to the south are always going to be a few steps behind the rest of us.

Last edited:

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The big problem is that the powers that be, whether governments, Councils etc etc have a delicately balanced situation where they say that safety is the most important criteria in all this but, on the other hand, society starts to disintegrate when businesses close, the economy becomes stagnant and people no longer have jobs to go to. People like Donald Trump and Boris Johnson do not do a very convincing job of hiding the fact that they far more concerned about the economy than the lives of the people in their respective countries. A disgusting and invidious situation that shows no sign of changing.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We are having a constant war of words between our Prime Minister who wants to open up the country, and the state Premiers who are each concerned about the keeping their respective borders secure. The PM of course has rightly closed our international borders but sees no hypocrisy in attempting to argue against the states applying the same principle until there is some equivalence in case numbers.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
People like Donald Trump and Boris Johnson do not do a very convincing job of hiding the fact that they far more concerned about the economy than the lives of the people in their respective countries.

Probably why Trump insists not just on holding rallies all the time, but letting those at those rallies not wear masks and not socially distance-- he seems to want the curve to stay sky-high and never come down.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Governor DeSantis just ruled that all the forced closures of businesses in the state of Florida have been lifted. In other words, the state cannot prohibit any business in the state from operating. It will be up to the individual business owners to re-open with the necessary strategies of social distancing, masks, disinfecting, etc., and of course they can stay closed down if they like--there just won't be some faraway bureaucrats telling them they CAN'T open no matter how many precautions they take. It's a step in the right direction toward getting back to normal, thank goodness.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
With the case number continuing to fall, there has been some loosening of restrictions in Melbourne (the regional areas are already under fewer restrictions than the city), mainly for business and trades people.

The 5km travel rule still applies but the controversial nighttime curfew has been lifted, although in my view it was always more symbolic than anything else, given that everything is closed anyway.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
With the case number continuing to fall, there has been some loosening of restrictions in Melbourne (the regional areas are already under fewer restrictions than the city), mainly for business and trades people.

The 5km travel rule still applies but the controversial nighttime curfew has been lifted, although in my view it was always more symbolic than anything else, given that everything is closed anyway.

And at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville, you still have to wear a mask, but the directional arrows have been removed; you can go any way you want now.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Very few people were following the directional arrows on the floor at the two WalMarts near me anyway, so when they pulled up the floor decals I doubt anyone noticed. The local HomeGoods store placed similar arrows on their floors, but the layout of the store (lots of short aisles with intersecting open areas) made the place a maze with arrows pointing at each other in many places. I expect they will go away soon enough.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Very few people were following the directional arrows on the floor at the two WalMarts near me anyway, so when they pulled up the floor decals I doubt anyone noticed.

I tried to follow the arrows at the Wal-Mart in my area, but the concept smacked of Chicago stockyards to me.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Trump now has it.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The good thing is, Biden and his wife do not (thankfully).

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Today I received a pamphlet from an anti-Corona campaign! "Let's go back to normal" and all that stuff.
There's something so very unsettling about these movements.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
:scream:If one more local person asks one of our politicians why the cases in NI are rising so rapidly I swear I'm going to lose it @Alexis. Likewise if I hear 'oh we can't enforce this...'. GROW A PAIR.

It's more than obvious to me why. In one breath they are saying lock down, and in the next they are saying 'if you are getting on a flight', not policing ANYONE returning to see if they are quarantining and basically not enforcing anything. Absolutely unbelievable. People are going to Dublin to fly on holiday because Ireland isn't yet on the quarantine returning list and then coming to the North, bringing infection with them. They think they are being clever and avoiding the quarantine by skipping over the border. :pray:

Last edited: