Awards
doc.jpg

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This must be the second trailer. :)

I hope it's not all "new". I'd like to see reactions from some old characters to the change as well.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And another. We're getting close now.

"I'm the Doctor. When people need help I never refuse." :)

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'll definitely watch. But first I'll check out some of the previous docs.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm an intermittent Doctor Who viewer but I made a special point to watch Jodie Whittaker's first outing as The Doctor. It's early days but I kind of liked her in the role but I thought the episode was a little bit boring.

I got a sense that her version of Doctor Who might be a bit more Matt Smith than Peter Capaldi in that it will be a bit more of a CBeebies-friendly version of the show which I think will be a mistake so I hope I'm wrong.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It's early days but I kind of liked her in the role but I thought the episode was a little bit boring.
I've been looking forward to this since the announcement came out. I loved Capaldi's Doctor but wasn't that thrilled with Moffat's direction, so getting Chibnall in gave me hope.

Sadly I wasn't impressed with the first two episodes and I think you hit the nail when you compared it with a CBeebies turn.

Having just watched the third episode I was thoroughly pleased with it, there wasn't much in the 'sci-fi' angle, but what I loved was the history it tapped into. I'd like to see a few more episodes that dip into history as this one did.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Having just watched the third episode I was thoroughly pleased with it, there wasn't much in the 'sci-fi' angle, but what I loved was the history it tapped into. I'd like to see a few more episodes that dip into history as this one did.

I really liked this episode although they did lay on the pro-civil rights message a bit heavier than was necessary (I think that was for the benefit of the CBeebies viewers) but that is a minor criticism in what was an otherwise outstanding episode. It was a bit more Quantum Leap than traditional Doctor Who but I think it was better for it. It reminded me a bit of my favourite Matt Smith episode: Vincent and The Doctor which also told an historical story. I liked this episode so much that I would go so far as to say Rosa was up there with some of the best episodes produced since the series was revived in 2005.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
what I loved was the history it tapped into.
It's not my country's history but those stories of the civil rights movement never fail to pack an emotional punch.
It was a bit more Quantum Leap than traditional Doctor Who
Right. As soon as I saw Krasko I thought "Evil Leaper!" :D

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's not my country's history but those stories of the civil rights movement never fail to pack an emotional punch.

You make an interesting point which made me think that in the UK we often look to the US for examples of black people struggling to get civil right but UK stories on the same subject are rarely remembered, let alone celebrated. Its like we don't want to admit there was a civil rights problem in the UK.

It would have been fantastic had this Doctor Who episode followed the story of Paul Stephenson who lead the Bristol bus boycott in the early 1960s. His role in black British civil rights was every bit as important as was Rosa Parks' in the USA and could be have made a great episode.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
we often look to the US for examples of black people struggling to get civil right but UK stories on the same subject are rarely remembered,
You're absolutely right. I had to look up Paul Stephenson and I have no recollection of ever learning about this.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
While it's been great watching Jodie at the helm of this series, I'm frustrated with the lack of time spent in the TARDIS and then I'm finding it a little too CBBC and the lack of original monsters are taking its toll on me. It's not that I want to see Cybermen, Daleks and Sontarans all the time, it would be great to see some of the earlier monsters from Eccelston & Tennant era.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
While it's been great watching Jodie at the helm of this series, I'm frustrated with the lack of time spent in the TARDIS and then I'm finding it a little too CBBC and the lack of original monsters are taking its toll on me. It's not that I want to see Cybermen, Daleks and Sontarans all the time, it would be great to see some of the earlier monsters from Eccelston & Tennant era.
I agree. As you know, I'm a new Doctor Who fan but I do think it was a mistake to make it so much a fresh start. The first female incarnation is a big enough change in itself, plus an entirely new line-up of companions. It would have been nice to have seen them interacting with something familiar from the past as well.