Artist Top Ten The Flying Lizards

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Great that we are doing Roxette this week and that it's a top 15. Now I just need some time to think over which songs to put in it. :think:
They do have a lot of great power ballads but also great pop/rock songs. So I need to find a good balance for my list. Also each song brings with it different memories.

So I will be back with my list a bit later. :ribbon:

Reactions: Ome

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I remember owning the Joyride album on cassette tape when I was about 9. It's still my fondest Roxette memory and the songs on that album are closest to my heart. Therefore, many songs from the album will feature on my list. But with Marie's death, I must put this one first:

1. Listen to Your Heart
2. The Look
3. Joyride
4. Perfect Day
5. Soul Deep
6. The Big L.
7. Sleeping in My Car
8. Knockin' on Every Door
9. Opportunity Nox
10. Spending My Time
11. Church of Your Heart
12. Queen of Rain
13. Fading Like a Flower
14. How Do You Do!
15. Almost Unreal

16. Vulnerable
17. Dangerous
18. This One
19. The Centre of the Heart
20. Hotblooded
21. Why Dontcha?
22. Chances
23. Stars
24. From a Distance
25. Turn of the Tide
26. Dressed for Success
27. It Just Happens
28. Speak to Me
29. It Must Have Been Love
30. Touched By the Hand of God
31. Run To You
32. I Remember You
33. Excuse Me, Sir, Do You Want Me To Check On Your Wife
34. Crash! Boom! Bang!
35. Surrender
36. So Far Away
37. Shadow of a Doubt
38. Things Will Never Be the Same
39. (Do You Get) Excited?
40. Silver Blue
41. June Afternoon
42. Anyone
43. Watercolours in the Rain
44. Salvation
45. Make My Head Go Pop
46. Real Sugar
47. Milk and Toast and Honey
48. She's Got Nothing On (But the Radio)
49. Wish I Could Fly
50. Little Miss Sorrow

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
1. The Look
2. How Do You Do!
3. Crash! Boom! Bang!
4. Dressed for Success
5. Fading Like a Flower
6. The Big L
7. Wish I Could Fly
8. Joyride
9. Church of Your Heart
10. Sleeping in My Car
11. Milk and Toast and Honey
12. Dance Away
13. It Must Have Ben Love (Christmas for the Broken Hearted)
14. Listen to Your Heart
15. Run to You

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I keep listening to Roxette's greatest hits album from their 30th Anniversary over and over so it would be tempting to just put those songs on the list. But I will try to add some more unusual songs too. So I think this would be my list:

1. Listen to Your Heart
It's a beautiful power ballad that let Marie's voice shine. Also this song and the next song on my list are forever associated with my childhood. When I was in 3rd grade the Look Sharp album was pretty new and most of the girls in my class loved Roxette. But a lot of them misspelled it as "Roxete" or "Roxett" in my friendship book from that year. :D
I'd be honest, although I loved Roxette they were not my favorite group at the time!
That honor belonged to "Herreys", a Swedish boy band that I have liked since I was 4 years old. Although I still love their music as well today Roxette has been my favorite group since I became an adult. I guess nostalgia plays a part here, but also great music.

2. The Look
I remember listening to this song at the after care that I went to when the school day was out. One of my friends had the Look Sharp album on cassette tape so we loved to listen to it. Another fond memory of the song, albeit lots later was walking out from the only Roxette concert I ever got a chance to go to in 2015 and singing along on this song together with some Spanish fans that we've began talking to. It was such a fun moment. I was literally on cloud nine after finally watching them in concert.

3. Dressed for Success
This song always makes me feel happy. It has a bit of rebellous streak in it. I remember as a kid we used to think Marie was a bit of a tom boy with her short hair. We thought she was cool. We were also fascinated by that Per had longer hair than she did and a lot of people that were older than us seemed to think they were a couple. Maybe because ABBA had been two married couples and they remembered when they had been around as a group. But we kids thought it was refreshing with a guy and a girl working together in a band without being an item. We liked that they were friends.

4. She's Got Nothing On (But the Radio)
I love this song too. It's sassy and has attitude. It is also their great comeback song. I remember being at a conference in Salzburg and one evening I went out with a group of friends for dinner. This song came on the radio at the restaurant and I was so happy. I told everyone it was Roxette's new single and that they were back after Marie's illness. That was a moment when I felt proud to be Swedish.

5. Sleeping In My Car
I remember listening to this when I was in Junior High. The song seemed exciting and fresh at the time.

6. Love Is All (Shine Your Light)
I watched and videotaped Roxette's concert from South Africa when they were touring with the "Crash Boom Bang" album. This song has always stood out to me. I just love it.

7. Crush on You
This song and also the next one on my list comes from the "Have a Nice Day" album. I got that on CD back in 2000 and had my uncle tape it over to a cassette tape for me so I could listen to it in my walkman. The first time I heard this album in full was when I was leaving home for the first time. I was going to Wales to work as a summer au pair and it was my first time on an airplane. I was exciting and also a bit scary. Having Roxette's music along for the ride made me feel safe. Like I brought a piece of my childhood with me as I was going out into the world. :ribbon:

8. Salvation

I remember first hearing this song on the radio when I was in High School. It was during art class and one of my classmates made the remark that Roxette still sounded the same as they had always done and it was great how they never changed.

9. It Must Have Been Love
I love Pretty Woman. Julia Roberts has been one of my favorite actresses since the 1990s. The song just goes so well together with the movie. I also have a great memory of listening to this song, the Travelling album version, while visiting with friends in Italy in 2015.

10. Come Back Before You Leave
This song was from the first Roxette CD I ever owned. "The Tourism" album. I got it for Christmas one year together with Madonna's "Like a Prayer" album. Since I didn't have my own CD player until I was in my late teens or early twenties I used to tape over all CD's I got to cassette tapes. I didn't buy that many CDs or Cassette tapes when I was growing up. I used to tape over stuff instead. Probably because it was expensive to buy an album with my allowance. When I was in my late teens and 20s I began collecting some artists from my childhood until I had most of their albums. Roxette was one of them. Anyway I love the synth intro of the song.

11. Milk and Toast and Honey
I remember listening to this album at a friend's house. She had just seen Roxette in concert in Karlstad I think. I thought it was so cool and told her how I had been wanting to watch them in concert too since I was a child and they played in Brunnsparken in the late 1980s. So I said I would definitely try to see them now. But a year later Marie got ill and I didn't get my chance to see them until 14 years later.

12. Fading Like a Flower
This song is just beautiful.

13. Neverending Love
Because it's the first Roxette song I ever heard. I remember the moon from their music video. I watched it at some Swedish chart show that one of my friends wanted us to watch. I was not in school yet. But the kids in first grade apparently liked this song and this cool new band that my friend introduced me to.

14. It Just Happens
I think this might be Roxette's final music video and final hit song.
I love listening to this song. It makes me feel hopeful.

15. Joyride!
Roxette is so popular in South America. I remember being at a Karaoke bar in Aguas Caliente in Peru and my sister and I are singing this song when there's a power black out and suddenly it just goes quiet and dark.

And I realize now that most of my songs are from their greatest hits after all. :innocent::spinning:

Oh well here's some honorable mentionings to other songs that I love that I can't fit into my top 15:

Spending My Time
I Call Your Name
What's She Like
Hocus Pocus
Here Comes The Weekend
Do You Get Excited?
The Big L
So Far Away
Queen of Rain
Never Is A Long Time
It's Possible
Anyone
You Don't Understand Me
I Wish I could Fly
Speak to Me
How Do You Do!
Cinnamon Street
Bringing Me Down To My Knees
Voices
Paint
(I Could Never) Give You Up
Watercolors in the Rain
I was So Lucky
Vulnerable
Stars
Run To You
Lies
Dangerous
Lover Lover Lover
Touched By The Hand of God
Why Doncha
April Clouds

:byebye:

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
1. Fading Like A Flower
2. Spending My Time
3. Almost Unreal
4. It Must Have Been Love
5. Joyride
6. The Look
7. Dangerous
8. Run To You
9. Dressed For Success
10. How Do You Do
11. Queen Of Rain
12. Vulnerable
13. I Could Never Give Up
14. Never Ending Love
15. Stars

I just love Roxette, honestly like ABBA they just don't have bad songs.

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
Reaction score
Medals
1. The Look
2. The Centre of the Heart
3. Wish I Could Fly
4. Almost Unreal
5. Sleeping In My Car
6. Run to You
7. Cooper
8. Joyride
9. Listen to Your Heart
10. It Must Have Been Love
11. The Sweet Hello, The Sad Goodbye
12. So Far Away
13. The Rain
14. Dressed for Success
15. View From a Hill

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I just love Roxette, honestly like ABBA they just don't have bad songs.
Oh I absolutely agree with you. :ribbon:

Interesting remixed fanvideo or whatever it is. I am not sure if I am that fond of the party remix though. Maybe it's because I got Frida's album when it first came out in 1996 so I am so used to hearing this version:

Anyway I heard that Frida asked Agnetha first to do the duet and when she said no she asked Marie. Considering that Frida and Marie did this duet it's a bit strange that Frida hasn't said anything about Marie's death. I mean like a public statement or something. :(
ABBA has a twitter account but when the other celebrities commented on Marie's death, ABBA's PR team just went on with the usual quizzes and stuff. :(

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
Reaction score
1. The Look
2. It Must Have Been Love
3. She's Got Nothing On (But The Radio)
4. Joyride
5. Goodbye to You
6. Listen to Your Heart
7. Real Sugar
8. Crash! Boom! Bang!
9. Wish I Could Fly
10.Spending My Time
11.Dressed For Success
12.Run To You
13.The Rain
14.Fading Like A Flower
15.Milk and Toast and Honey

Rest in Peace Marie you gave the world joy and pleasure through your music. :love7:

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
With 10 studio albums and 53 singles
8 voted on 46 songs
Here’s the look

1. The Look – 90
2. Joyride = 73
3. It Must Have Been Love / Listen to Your Heart = 57
4. Dressed for Success = 52
5. Fading Like a Flower = 49
6. Sleeping in my Car = 46
7. Wish I Could Fly = 44
8. Almost Real = 41
9. Spending My Time = 40
10. How Do You Do! = 33
11. She's Got Nothing On (But the Radio) = 32
12. Crash! Boom! Bang! = 27
13. The Big L. = 25
14. Run to You = 23
15. The Centre of the heart = 20
16. Stars = 17
17. Dangerous = 15
18. Excuse Me, Sir, Do You Want Me To Check On Your Wife = 14
19. Do You Wanna Go The Whole Way = 13
20. Perfect Day / Church of Your Heart = 12
21. Soul Deep / Milk and Toast and Honey / Goodbye to You = 11
22. Queen of Rain / The Sweet Hello, The Sad Goodbye / Love is All = 10
23. Crush on You / Cooper / Real Sugar = 9
24. Jefferson / Knockin’ On Every Door / Salvation = 8
25. Vulnerable / Opportunity Nox = 7
26. Come Back Before You Leave / The Rain = 6
27. Neverending Love = 5
28. Dance Away / So Far Away = 4
29. Un Dia Sin Ti / I Could Never Give Up = 3
30. Chances / It Just Happens = 2
31. View From a Hill = 1

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
Up Next

Russell Watson

RW.jpg

Russell Watson (born 24 November 1966) is an English tenor who has released singles and albums of both operatic-style and pop songs, had been singing since he was a child, and became known after performing at a working men's club. He came to attention in 1999 when he sang "God Save the Queen" at the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final at Wembley Stadium, "Barcelona" at the last match of the Premiership season between Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford and a full set of songs at the 1999 UEFA Champions League Final in Barcelona between Manchester United and Bayern Munich.

RT.jpg

Some critics have said that Watson's untrained tenor voice is not up to operatic standards; Rupert Christiansen, music critic of The Daily Telegraph has, for instance, called him a "karaoke crooner". Watson has responded that it "doesn't bother me. Seven years ago classical crossover didn't exist – putting Italian lyrics to pop songs in a big ballsy way. Now every bugger's doing it. I've transcended all that bickering and bitching." Watson's career ambition is "longevity, that's the most important thing. I want to be a musical force for a good long while." On 5 June 2008 Watson released his autobiography Finding My Voice.

aa.jpg

Totals
On the weekend of
28th & 28th December

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
Reaction score
Medals
I took my Mum to see Russell Watson live for her birthday a few years ago and he was wonderful. I think it was one of his first concerts after recovering from his illness and his daughters were in the audience. He came out into the audience to sing at times and also stayed behind chatting to fans after the show, he was very friendly and charming, :D

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
Reaction score
took my Mum to see Russell Watson live for her birthday a few years ago and he was wonderful. I think it was one of his first concerts after recovering from his illness and his daughters were in the audience
This sounds awesome and your Mum is a very lucky woman to have a daughter as great to her as you are.........she raised you right. :12:

:bbbb:

I have never heard of Russell Watson either so this should be interesting. I missed out on Texas because every time I saw the name I got confused and thought it was the State for some odd reason in the music room. :shy:

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
One of my favourite singers.

As he's unknown to a few posters, I've added links to videos of the songs. Enjoy.

1. Smile
My favourite version of this song.

2. Baby It’s Cold Outside (with Denise Van Outen)
This one oozes Unresolved Sexual Tension.

3. Bohemian Rhapsody
Nobody can top Queen, so Russell wisely takes it in a different direction.

4. Someone Like You (with Faye Tozer)
Two of my favourite things come together. In the bitter aftermath of the Steps split, this made my year.

5. Nimrod
Proving he could read the phone book and still do it for me. Love that accent.

6. You Raise Me Up
A very nice version.

7. You Are So Beautiful
Filled with yearning.

8. Unforgettable
Smooth as silk.

9. I Have Nothing
'90s Whitney Houston in the style of '60s Tom Jones. Well, why not?

10. Can’t Help Falling In Love
Another velvety smooth rendition.

And a few more favourites:

That’s Life

The Prayer (with Lulu)

Bridge Over Troubled Water

Amazing Grace (with Jocelyn Brown)

When I Fall In Love

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
Reaction score
Medals
Most of my top-ten are based on the songs he sang at the concert I saw.

1. Volare
2. Nella Fantasia
3. Miserere
4. Amore e Musica
5. I Believe
6. The Prayer (with Lulu)
7. Barcelona (with Shaun Ryder)
8. Gladiator
9. Ave Maria
10.Nessun dorma

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
1. Bohemian Rhapsody - no, he´s no Freddie Mercury, but the song is awesome. The addition of RPO is a very nice touch.
2. Where My Heart Will Take Me (Theme from Enterprise)
3. Time To Say Goodbye (with Hayley Westenra)
4. Have I Told You Lately
5. Che Gelida Manina (From La Bohème)
6. Born Free
7. Race To the End
8. One More Time
9. Me and Mrs. Jones
10. Bridge Over Troubled Water

I was so disappointed when I heard his version of Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough. He sings it like he's 100% focused on his voice instead of thinking of the feeling in it. I got nothing from this version, something that I have gotten from all other versions of this song. And to make matters worse, his voice doesn't even sound very good in this song.