16. We Could Send Letters [AC] / Do I Love You [AC] / A Cool Place [LS] = 2
17. Release [AC] / Ready or Not [LS] = 1

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
Up next

Martina McBride vs Tina Arena

MvT.jpg

As always, if you ten of the best for each artist I will include it in the final tally.

Martina McBride

MB1.jpg

Martina Mariea McBride (née Schiff, born July 29, 1966) is an American country music singer-songwriter and record producer. She is known for her soprano singing range and her country pop material.

McBride signed to RCA Records in 1991, and made her debut the following year as a neo-traditionalist country singer with the single, "The Time Has Come". Over time, she developed a pop-styled crossover sound, similar to Shania Twain and Faith Hill, and had a string of major hit singles on the Billboard country chart and occasionally on the adult contemporary chart. Five of these singles went to No. 1 on the country chart between 1995 and 2001, and one peaked at No. 1 on the adult contemporary chart in 2003. She is called the "Celine Dion of Country Music" after she was recognized for her soprano singing range.

Tina Arena

TA1.jpg

Filippina Lydia "Tina" Arena AM (born 1 November 1967) is an Australian singer-songwriter, musician, musical theatre actress and record producer. She is one of Australia's highest selling artists and has sold over 10 million records worldwide. Arena is an artist with the vocal range of a soprano and is multilingual: she sings live and records in English, Italian, French and Spanish.

In March 2019, the Government of Australia appointed Arena as a board member of the Australia Council for the Arts for a three-year term. The Australia Council for the Arts, informally known as the Australia Council, is the principal arts council or arts funding body of the federal government of Australia

Totals Thursday

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Martina Mariea McBride (née Schiff, born July 29, 1966)
Filippina Lydia "Tina" Arena AM (born 1 November 1967)
Although Tina's been in the business a lot longer than Martina, I always think of her being much younger. It's strange to think there's only a year and a bit in it.

It's equally strange to think of two favourite artists getting a versus together. The hardest part for me will be getting it down to just ten songs each.

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
It's equally strange to think of two favourite artists getting a versus together. The hardest part for me will be getting it down to just ten songs each.

I've had a Toyah vs Hazel O'Connor on my (word) list for quite some time and while I don't think it will create much of a vote off on here, I'm back & forth in my mind to do it just for my own curiosities.

My favourite female singers are very limited and these two are up there very high. It's not so much about their voices but the emotions I get from their songs and of course how old I was when I first became obsessed, sexually attracted to them. :fp:

Banana Hammock

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
TINA

1 Strong As Steel
2 Chains
3 Soul Mate # 9
4 Now I Can Dance
5 Sorrento Moon (I Remember)
6 Heaven Help My Heart
7 Whistle Down The Wind
8 Wasn't It Good
9 I Want To Know What Love Is
10 Burn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MARTINA

1 My Baby Loves Me
2 Independence Day
3 When You Are Old
4 Happy Girl
5 Life #9
6 I Love You
7 Strangers
8 Safe in The Arms of Love
9 Concrete Angel
10 There You Are

Jason73

Admin
Reaction score
Medals
Tina

1. Only Lonely
2. Magic
3. Sorrento Moon (the version with Dannii Minogue)
4. Not Still In Love With You
5. The Things We Do for Love (the slow version rather than the pop version--I wish it was available over here.)
6. Love Falls
7. Do You Know Where You're Going To
8. Overload
9. Until
10. Everybody Hurts

Martina

1. Just Around the Corner
2. It Ain't Pretty
3. Wrong Baby Wrong Baby Wrong
4. Safe in the Arms of Love
5. I Just Call You Mine
6. What Becomes of the Brokenhearted
7. There You Are
8. Whatever You Say
9. Anyway
10. Anything's Better Than Feeling the Blues

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Darn it, I had to break my suite last round. I worked about 200% last week. Stupid work getting in the way of what's really important in life.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Tina
  1. Je M’appelle Bagdad
  2. S’il Faut Prier
  3. Still Running
  4. S’il M’est Donné
  5. Until
  6. Quand Tout Recommence
  7. I Hope I Never
  8. Reset All
  9. Aimer Jusqu'à L'impossible
  10. L’un Pour L’autre

Bonus tracks:

Symphony Of Life/Symphonie de l’âme
Sixteen Years
I Only Want To Be With You
Je Dis Call Me
Tu Pourras Dire

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Martina

1. Where Would You Be
  2. When You Are Old
  3. Anyway
  4. ’Til I Can Make It On My Own
  5. All The Things We’ve Never Done
  6. Whatever You Say
  7. Little Bit Of Rain
  8. Reckless
  9. A Great Disguise
  10. That's The Thing About Love

Bonus tracks:

Lies
I Don’t Want To See You Again
Bring It On Home To Me [with Gavin DeGraw]
Summer Of Love
A Broken Wing

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I've had a Toyah vs Hazel O'Connor on my (word) list for quite some time and while I don't think it will create much of a vote off on here, I'm back & forth in my mind to do it just for my own curiosities.
Oh, I think they'll go down well. The Eighties is always well appreciated here (although I'm sure these two have recorded many songs outside of that decade).

My favourite female singers are very limited and these two are up there very high.
Oh, don't I know it. ;)

It's not so much about their voices but the emotions I get from their songs
Absolutely.

and of course how old I was when I first became obsessed, sexually attracted to them. :fp:

Payton Cross

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
Reaction score
Medals
Martina McBride

01. A Broken Wing
02. Wrong Baby Wrong Baby Wrong.
03. Independence Day
04. What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted
05. Concrete Angel
06. Wrong Again
07. For The Love Of A Woman
08. Happy Girl
09. In The Basement
10. Heart Trouble

I love Martina's music a lot, i still need to buy some more cd from her.

Tina Arena

01. Chains
02. Tant que tu es là
03. Woman's Work
04. Flashback
05. I Want To Spend My Lifetime Loving You (with Marc Anthony)
06. L'ombre de ma voix
07. Overload
08. N'oublie pas
09. Wouldn't Be Love If It Didn't
10. Quand tout Recommence

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
1. Just Around the corner [MM]
2. It Ain’t Pretty [MM]
3. Safe in the Arms of Love [MM]
4. Chains [TA]
5. Love's Funny That Way [TA]
6. Reckless [MM]
7. Bring it on Home to Me [MM]
8. Whistle Down the Wind [TA]
9. Anyway [MM]
10. Whatever You Say [MM]

Ome

Admin
Reaction score

Hi Karin, thanks for your vote, however, this is a versus battle where you list ten favourite songs (or less) of those artists in the battle. Like every battle that we do in here, if any member has ten songs from each artist then I kindly ask them to list both top tens as I will include them in the final tally if they don't then it' becomes one list of votes. So, unless you direct me otherwise, I will be adding your votes like this...

1. Wild Angels [MM] = 10 points
2. Valentine (with Jim Brickman) [MM] = 9 points
3. Safe in the arms of love [MM] = 8 points
4. I want to spend my lifetime loving you (with Marc Anthony) [TA] = 7 points
5. If I didn't love you [TA] = 6 points

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Hi Karin, thanks for your vote, however, this is a versus battle where you list ten favourite songs (or less) of those artists in the battle. Like every battle that we do in here, if any member has ten songs from each artist then I kindly ask them to list both top tens as I will include them in the final tally if they don't then it' becomes one list of votes. So, unless you direct me otherwise, I will be adding your votes like this...

1. Wild Angels [MM] = 10 points
2. Valentine (with Jim Brickman) [MM] = 9 points
3. Safe in the arms of love [MM] = 8 points
4. I want to spend my lifetime loving you (with Marc Anthony) [TA] = 7 points
5. If I didn't love you [TA] = 6 points

Thanks for clarifying that Ome.

Well if that's the case I would rather distribute them like this:

1. I want to spend my lifetime loving you
2. Valentine
3. Wild Angels
4. If I didn't love you
5. Safe in the arms of love

Also I know I switched places of Valentine and Wild Angels but after giving it some thought I realized I liked the Valentine song more even though the first song I associate with Martina McBride is Wild Angels. I hope that makes sense. :)

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I can do a Martina top 10 without listening through her musical catalogue.

1. My Baby Loves Me
2. Independence Day
3. I Love You
4. Wrong Again
5. In My Daughter's Eyes
6. When God-fearing Women Get the Blues
7. Safe In the Arms of Love
8. Valentine
9. Wild Angel
10. Love's the Only House

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
With 25 albums [13MM] [12TA] and 96 singles [51MM] [45TA]
6 voted on 72 songs
w.jpg

Here’s where it all ended up

1. Safe in the Arms of Love [MM] = 28
2. Independence Day [MM] / Chains [TA] = 26
3. My Baby Loves Me [MM] / Just Around the Corner [MM] = 20
4. It Ain’t Pretty [MM] = 18
5. When You Are Old [MM] / Wrong Baby Wrong Baby Wrong [MM] = 17
6. I Want To Spend My Lifetime Loving You [TA] = 16
7. Sorrento Moon [TA] = 14
8. I Love You [MM] = 13
9. What Becomes of the Brokenhearted [MM] / Anyway [MM] / Wrong Again [MM] / Valentine [MM] = 12
10. Happy Girl [MM] / Where Would You Be [MM] / A Broken Wing [MM] / Wild Angels [MM] / Strong as Steel [TA] / Only Lonely [TA] / Je M’appelle Bagdad [TA] = 10
11. Whatever You Say [MM] / Magic [TA] / S’il Faut Prier [TA] / Tant que tu es là [TA] = 9
12. Concrete Angel [MM] / Reckless [MM] / Soul Mate #9 [TA] Until [TA] / Still Running [TA] / Woman’s Work [TA] = 8
13. ’Til I Can Make It On My Own [MM] / Now I Can Dance [TA] / Whistle Down the Wind [TA] / Not Still In Love With You [TA] / Overload [TA] / S’il M’est Donné [TA] / Flashback [TA] / If I didn't love you [TA] = 7
14. Life #9 [MM] / I Just Call You Mine [MM] / All The Things We’ve Never Done [MM] / In My Daughter's Eyes [MM] / Love's Funny That Way [TA] / The Things We Do for Love [TA] / Quand Tout Recommence [TA] = 6
15. There You Are [MM] / When God-fearing Women Get the Blues [MM] / Heaven Help My Heart [TA] / Love Falls [TA] / L'ombre de ma voix [TA] = 5
16. Strangers [MM] / Little Bit of Rain [MM] / For The Love of a Woman [MM] / Bring it Home to Me [MM] / Do You Know Where You're Going To [TA] / I Hope I Never [TA] = 4
17. Wasn’t it Good [TA] / Reset All [TA] = 3
18. A Great Disguise [MM] / In the Basement [MM] / Wouldn't Be Love If It Didn't [TA] / I Want to Know What Love Is [TA] / Aimer Jusqu'à L'impossible [TA] = 2
19. Anything's Better Than Feeling the Blues [MM] / That's The Thing About Love [MM] / Heart Trouble [MM] / Love's the Only House [MM] / Burn [TA] / Everybody Hurts [TA] / L’un Pour L’autre [TA] = 1

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
Up Next

Cher vs Celine Dion

CvCD.jpg

As always, if you ten of the best for each artist I will include it in the final tally.

Cher

Commonly referred to by the media as the Goddess of Pop, she has been described as embodying female autonomy in a male-dominated industry.

Cher revived her musical career by recording the rock-inflected albums Cher (1987), Heart of Stone (1989), and Love Hurts (1991), all of which yielded successful singles such as "I Found Someone", "If I Could Turn Back Time", and "Love and Understanding".

Cher reached a new commercial peak in 1998 with the dance-pop album Believe, whose title track became the biggest-selling single of all time by a female artist in the UK. It features the pioneering use of Auto-Tune, also known as the "Cher effect".

Having sold 100 million records to date, Cher is one of the world's best-selling music artists. Her achievements include a Grammy Award, an Emmy Award, an Academy Award, three Golden Globe Awards, a Cannes Film Festival Award, and awards from the Kennedy Center Honors and the Council of Fashion Designers of America. She is the only artist to date to have a number-one single on a Billboard chart in six consecutive decades, from the 1960s to the 2010s.

Celine Dion

Born into a large family from Charlemagne, Quebec, she emerged as a teen star in her homeland with a series of French-language albums during the 1980s. She first gained international recognition by winning both the 1982 Yamaha World Popular Song Festival and the 1988 Eurovision Song Contest, where she represented Switzerland. After learning to speak English, she signed on to Epic Records in the United States. In 1990, Dion released her debut English-language album, Unison, establishing herself as a viable pop artist in North America and other English-speaking areas of the world.

During the 1990s, she achieved worldwide fame after releasing several best-selling English albums

Her recordings are mainly in French and English, although she also sings in Spanish, Italian, German, Latin, Japanese, and Mandarin Chinese. While her releases have often received mixed critical reception, she is regarded as one of pop music's most influential voices. She has won five Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year and Record of the Year. Billboard named her the "Queen of Adult Contemporary" for having the most number ones on the radio format for a female artist. She is the second best-selling female artist in the US during the Nielsen SoundScan era. In 2003, she was honoured by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) for selling over 50 million albums in Europe. She remains the best-selling Canadian artist and one of the best-selling artists of all time with record sales of 200 million copies worldwide.

Totals Tuesday

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Cher vs Celine is some kind of homophobic hate crime. It's Sophie's Choice to the millionth degree!