• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The Long Road

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
The only place that Sue Ellen could think of that was far enough away from Dallas and in the same state as John Ross and where she was least likely to be bothered by anyone was Galveston Island. Getting there would allow her the time and space to think and she'd be by the water, which she loved.

It was close to 6pm and she was too exhausted to set off tonight. Instead, she went to her bedroom, fuelled by the adrenalin of seeing JR earlier, both at the office and briefly at Southfork and her conversation with Cally. Grabbing a large holdall, she began to pack.

Swimsuits, sunglasses, stylish night and daywear and of course, shoes, she managed to get a good week's worth of ensembles inside. Checking her purse, she made sure she had her drivers licence, credit cards and auto club card.

Sitting on the edge of her bed, she took out her cell and dialled.

“Dallas Autoclub, this is Jeannie, how may I be of service?”

“Hi I need to rent a car out of Dallas to leave first thing in the morning please”, Sue Ellen said.

“Yes m'am, what sort of car?”

Sue Ellen described what she would like and enquired whether the car could be delivered by 7am. Jeannie agreed and after taking all the details she needed, Sue Ellen thanked her and ended the call.

No way in hell was she driving anywhere with a Ewing licence plate. Not only was the car so disguishable, but it was also fitted with a tracking device. Sue Ellen wasn't stupid. She didn't expect anyone to be looking for her, especially JR, but she wasn't taking any chances either. She certainly didn't want any press intrusion and thought it was best to go in a car that just blended in. A suitably stylish one of course.

She decided that a long hot bath may ease how she was feeling. Trying hard to remind herself that her ex-husband was in fact, a bastard of the tallest order, she poured some lavender scented oil into the free-standing tub, followed by some healing bath salts.

As her long legs moved into the comforting water, she sighed and closed her eyes. Tomorrow was a new day, and she intended to start it far away from here. Far away from him.

“Why did you run off like that son?” JR asked John Ross who was submerging himself in a video game and not paying attention to his father. When John Ross continued to ignore him, JR snatched the controller out of his hands and said, “I'm talking to you John Ross!”

John Ross turned and stared at him. “So?”, the boy said.

“Don't you talk to me like that John Ross. What's gotten into you?”

“It's not me!” John Ross said, turning his head from JR.

JR had had enough of being on the wrong side of everyone's tongue today and forcibly lifted John Ross on to the bed, forcing the child to look at him.

“I asked you a question boy”, JR said firmly.

“Why's it always someone else's fault, huh Dad?” John Ross asked, tears in his eyes.

“You're not making any sense John Ross...”

JR was suddenly taken aback by how John Ross stared at him. Although his eyes were a different colour to hers, his stare looked remarkably like Sue Ellen when she was upset. It almost took his breath away.

“Momma's gone away. Because of you.”

“How do you know it's because of me?” JR asked.

“She told me.”

“What did she tell you?”

“I'm not telling you!” John Ross said, becoming more upset and visibly angry at his father. “And now because of you, my Momma's gone again and you're marrying some hick you don't even love! You're being a total jackass Dad!” the boy shouted.

“You're out of line John Ross”, JR said, standing up so his son was shadowed beneath him.

“I don't care!” John Ross shouted. “What you going to do? Hit me? Drive me away too? I hate this! Why did you have to keep hurting her huh? Why?”

JR didn't know what to say, or do, so he tried to calm John Ross by lifting him. This only resulted in John Ross kicking him in the legs, forcing JR to release him.

“I hate you! I'm not coming to your stupid wedding either!” John Ross said and ran fast out of the room before JR could catch him.

“John Ross come back here!” JR shouted after him as he ran down the stairs.

“John Ross!” Cally shouted, attempting to help. “Oh JR, what's wrong?” she cried.

“Things going well then?” Clayton mused as he opened the door to his and Miss Ellie's room.

“I gotta go after him...” JR said, practically pushing Cally out of the way.

“But JR! The rehearsal is gonna start soon!” Cally yelled after him.

Miss Ellie approached Cally in an attempt to reassure the girl with a soft smile. “Welcome to Southfork, Cally...!” she said.

Last edited:

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You go, Clayton! JR is such an ass. Not only is he treating Sue Ellen like dirt, he's marrying poor Cally KNOWING he doesn't care one bit about her. And what about his son? How can he not see how his actions are hurting that boy?

Great update!

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
He is an ass @CeeCee72 - what I'm attempting to do at this time, is show how he thinks all his actions are justified, including how he believes Sue Ellen won't go far. I hope that makes sense.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He is an ass @CeeCee72 - what I'm attempting to do at this time, is show how he thinks all his actions are justified, including how he believes Sue Ellen won't go far. I hope that makes sense.

Perfect sense, and perfect characterization. JR always manages to justify his actions in his own mind. He always thinks he can hurt whoever he wants and make up for it later. Big slick needs a big lesson and a big dose of reality.

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can see now the iron ain't gonna be enough so JR will also be getting two walking sticks smacked round his head and a wheelchair to the ankles.
I just wanna give our girl, and lil JRo especially, a big hug.
YOU f****d up JR and YOU need to work your arse off to fix it and Cally, you need to take a lesson from the former (but always true) Mrs JR Ewing and RUN.

K

Karin Schill

Great update Sarah. :)

I hope that JR won't actually go ahead and marry Cally. Even though I guess technically he is already married to her, so he might need to divorce her or?

Poor John Ross is really hurting from his parents divorce. I bet he wishes they'd get back together again.

Also I loved the way you wrote Phyllis and how she gave JR a piece of her mind. He deserve it for the way he treated Sue Ellen!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
(Just a short filler of an update...)

The dust from Sue Ellen's earlier visit still lingered in the air as Bobby arrived home. He was hell bent on speaking to JR before the rehearsal. He was fuming not only from his conversation with Phyllis, but also hearing how JR had treated Sue Ellen earlier in the day.

Turning his car into the main Southfork driveway, he was lost in thought and rehearsing what he was going to say to his brother. As he maneuvered the car into the road leading to the ranch, he gasped as John Ross seemed to appear from nowhere, paddling furiously as if trying to get away from Southfork as soon as he could.

Just as his nephew was about to collide with the vehicle, Bobby slammed on the brakes. Seeing John Ross fall from his bike, Bobby jumped out of the car, seeing the boy with his head down sobbing, sitting defeated on the ground.

"John Ross! Are you ok son?"

John Ross couldn't speak for sobbing.

"Are you hurt?" Bobby asked, trying to examine his legs for any blood.

John Ross shook his head. "N...no...."

"What is it? What's wrong?" Bobby asked, pulling John Ross gently to his feet, kneeling in front of him. His heart ached as the tears fell from John Ross' eyes.

"My Momma has gone away...cos of this stupid wedding!" the boy exclaimed. "Dad doesn't even love Cally! I don't know why he's doing this! I hate it!"

Bobby sighed and embraced the boy. "Look John Ross...I know this is real hard to understand...but you just need to be strong..."

"I am strong!" John Ross protested, "..but it doesn't mean I can't get angry when I see how stupid he's being!"

"Well your Daddy was never one to make a hell of a lot of sense..." Bobby said, trying to lighten the mood. "But the wedding will be over soon, and then you'll see your momma and everything will become like normal. I know it doesn't feel like that now...but it will".

"I hate him" John Ross said. "He won't even listen to me. It's like Cally is the most important thing in the world. How can he choose her over me and my Mom?"

Bobby didn't have the answers. All he could do was listen to John Ross and sympathise. He did know his brother and even he could admit to himself that JR's decisions weren't making any sense. But he knew from experience that trying to talk JR out of something or trying to reason with him, was pointless. And after today, he didn't want Sue Ellen going back to him.

"I think he's doing what he feels he has to do for now.." Bobby said, seeing Christopher running out of the house in the background, closely followed by JR. "Look, he's coming now...you gonna be that strong guy you told me about and put on your Ewing face?"

John Ross sniffed. "Yes sir".

"And..." Bobby whispered. "When the wedding is over, I promise we will go see your momma".

John Ross managed a soft smile.

"John Ross what happened?" Christopher asked. "Why is your bike under Dad's car?"

"John Ross are you alright?" JR asked, turning him protectively to face him.

"I just fell", John Ross said, hoping his Uncle Bobby would cover for him, which of course he did.

"Let me check...are you hurt?"

"I'm fine Dad", the boy reiterated firmly.

"I checked him, he's fine", Bobby said.

"You should watch your driving Bob!" JR said sternly.

Cally appeared out of the house and Bobby gestured at her to take the boys inside to get ready.

"And you should watch your temper", Bobby said back.

"What does that mean?"

"Oh I think you know. Firing my secretary and driving Sue Ellen out of town...all in one morning...I think you need to see someone about those anger issues JR..."

JR clenched his jaw, as he always did when he felt provoked.

"Now you listen here, Bobby..."

"No. YOU listen. For once. Just shut the hell up and listen."

JR quietened, always aware that Bobby could throw a hell of a punch.

"You don't get to treat Phyllis that way for starters. And you don't make those kind of decisions without me. Got it?"

JR rolled his eyes, but nodded.

"Secondly, I want you to know had I been there when you spoke to Sue Ellen like you did, I would have knocked you out".

"What are you Bob? Her knight in shining armour?" JR said, sarcasm seething out of his voice.

"Maybe...how you treat women in general is appalling, but how you have treated and continue to treat Sue Ellen is barbaric. She doesn't deserve any of it".

"Well what about her stopping my WestStar takeover?" JR asked.

"You're always blaming others, Sue Ellen in particular, for things that are your own fault", Bobby said. As he began to walk away, he looked at the sky before turning back to JR and saying,

"You know JR before today I was so unsure about a lot of things. I was confused... worried even...about why you were doing this. Why you're marrying Cally. She's a decent girl. I even wondered should I intervene and stop the wedding...."

"But?" JR asked, folding his arms defensively.

"But I want you to marry Cally."

JR looked confused and grunted as he asked, "You do?"

"Yes I do." Bobby took a threatening step towards him. "Because I know Cally doesn't have the will to stay with you once your antics start...but mainly because it will keep Sue Ellen away from you."

JR's expression changed completely from confusion to an arrogant anger.

"And you know what JR? I hope she has gone away. Far away. From you. And I hope for her sake, she never comes back", Bobby said vehemently before turning and walking into the house.

Last edited:

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Poor lil JRo. I am sending him a big cyber hug. Bobby is right JR doesn't deserve Sue Ellen and he SHOULD'VE knocked him on his arse.
I DO want her to come back though.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I feel so bad for John Ross.

And good for Bobby!

Great update!

K

Karin Schill

Great update Sarah.

Too bad how Bobby now wants Cally to marry JR. I mean Cally is such a mismatch for JR.

Poor John Ross is hurting so much. I hope he gets a chance to tell his dad what is bothering him.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Saturday 6:30 am....

Sue Ellen woke early and sat ready and waiting with her suitcase for the delivery of the vehicle that would take her out of Dallas for the immediate future.

In a little over 24 hours, JR would marry a girl young enough to be his daughter. She would become the next Mrs JR Ewing. Sue Ellen sighed. A little girl from Arkansas was due to marry the man she always thought in one way or another, she'd be with until she died. For the first time since she'd known him, she felt a complete disconnection from JR. She wasn't sure if it was reality, her mind, or her heart. Possibly all three.

At just a little before 7, she was startled from her thoughts by the chime of the doorbell. Lifting her carry case, she took one last look around and walked to open the door.

An impressionable young lady greeted her, before handing her a clipboard with a document to sign, verifying her identification and then giving her the keys. It was an impressive vehicle, Sue Ellen noted, a black convertible Mercedes SL Class, shiny and new like the start she was preparing for – or trying to.

A young man jumped out of the waiting vehicle to offer her help with her case. She thanked him, keeping the conversation to a minimum, wanting to escape as soon as possible.

Settling behind the wheel, she took a deep breath before programming the directions to her destination into the GPS. It was an estimated 6 hour journey, giving her plenty of time to be alone and to think. The further away from Dallas, and JR, that she managed to get, the better. She didn't want to be at home when the inevitable knock on the door came, from the eager press determined to find out how she felt about JR's marriage to his child bride.

How she felt. How did she feel? Numb. Exhausted. Angry. Lost.

Heartbroken.

Of all the women JR had ever been involved with, he hadn't left her for any of them. The mess that had therefore unfolded when he decided to pursue airhead Kimberley Cryder had taken the floor from under her. Deep down she knew she should have walked away, but, determined to prove her worth to JR once and for all, she had struck back in the only way she knew how – by exacting the worst kind of revenge on him and hitting him where she knew it would hurt the most. His company.

At the back of her mind, she knew it was the one thing that JR would never be able to forgive her for, but at the time she didn't care. Preventing him from taking West Star, not only stopped him in the oil business, but it also took away his power, his standing in the community and his pride. She may as well have literally emasculated him. It probably would have hurt him less.

She knew his threat in the boardroom that day when he told her he'd never forget it was true. She knew by the cold look in his eyes and the steely harsh tone of his voice. It had taken less than two hours for the word to spread over Dallas that she – his wife – had been the one to bring him down. His fellow oil men were in shock, the women secretly envious of her actions, the few friends he did have, aghast that a man like JR could be duped so easily, and by a woman too.

It hadn't been easy for her to hurt him. It had been the last thing she had ever wanted to do. But she had a breaking point too and she'd reached it. She'd had enough of him walking over her and expecting her to be right there in his bed when his dirty dealings were done. She had made a promise to herself – no more. It was over.

It didn't mean she hadn't cried herself to sleep on nights when the regret overwhelmed her, punishing herself for just not walking away with her dignity. Despite everything he'd ever done to her, despite her telling him on numerous occasions that she hated him,the opposite in fact was true. Despite her trying to convince herself that she didn't care what he did, who he was with, or who he ended up with, the opposite was true.

So now today instead of feeling vindicated and free, she was once again doing what she did every time JR hurt her. She was running. Before though, she'd always come back, always faced him, even if it was from across the hall. This time she couldn't. She couldn't face what was about to happen. She couldn't face the fact that the man she had loved and almost idolised since she was 20 years old, was about to marry someone else.

So she put the car in drive, and she left.

At the same time, JR was lying in bed, Cally sleeping beside him. For a couple due to marry there should have been warmth and tenderness. Instead, as they lay in the king size bed, JR stared to the ceiling, with a gap that could have fit another person into between them.

The wedding would take place tomorrow afternoon. JR wanted it to be over and done with, in the hope that he could then move on with his life and put this period of bitterness behind him. He had a lump in his throat, wasn't sure if it was nerves, anxiousness or sadness at the words John Ross had thrown at him.

I hate you!”.....

It was the first time his son had ever said those words to him. He knew John Ross was unhappy, but at this moment in time the only thing that mattered to him was getting Sue Ellen out of his mind. And his life. The only way he knew how to do that was to punish her. It was consuming him. He knew that in time John Ross would come to accept the new way of life and he hoped that maybe he too, would learn to love Cally in time.

As if sensing he was restless, Cally opened her eyes. “JR...?” she crooned, under the thick blanket of sleep.

JR rolled his eyes. It wasn't even 8am and her voice was already grating on him.

Cally rolled over and tried to bridge the distance between them with her arm. JR winced.

“What is it? You've been rollin' about like a tumbleweed in the desert all night..”

“Nothing. Just couldn't sleep”, JR bit back immediately.

“Is it the weddin? Are ya nervous?”

JR laughed sarcastically. “Hell I've done it a couple of times already you know!”

Cally felt like she'd been punched. “Well not to me...only to Sue Ellen...”

“I know that!” JR said, immediately sitting up, grabbing his robe and leaving the bed.

Cally stared at him, not believing his reaction. “What'd I say?” she asked, with wide eyed innocence.

“Sue Ellen, Sue Ellen, Sue Ellen!” JR barked. “That's all I hear!”

Cally was young, but she was also astute enough to know when something wasn't right. Instinctively she had noticed that Sue Ellen's name was like a trigger for JR, each and every time he heard it.

“Every time her name is mentioned, you're like a possum just let out of a cupboard!”, Cally shot back. “When you gonna let her go?”

“A possum trapped in a cupboard?” JR snapped, mocking her. “Why in the hell is everything like a possum, or a tumbleweed or a hillbilly whose pants caught fire? Why Cally?” JR shouted, ignoring the question she'd just put to him. “Is that how they talk in Arkansas?”

“What's wrong with that?” Cally asked, tears now brimming in her eyes.

“It's damn annoying, that's what!” JR said, exasperated.

Cally lay back down on her pillow, starting to sob. JR rolled his eyes and sighed. He approached her, sitting down on the side of the bed where she lay, placing his hand on her back.

“Now Cally...don't cry...” he said, the discomfort obvious in his voice. “I'm sure we'll get used to each others ways...”

Between sobs into the pillow, Cally said, “My mama and daddy were married for over 50 years...I can't argue with you for fifty years JR! I just can't!”

JR shut his eyes absorbing what the girl had just said. Not only was he unlikely to be around in 50 years, but nonetheless an image of sitting on a porch while Cally picked peaches from the trees and was pregnant with their 10th child flashed into his mind.

Not wanting to face it, JR mock laughed and said, “Now don't be silly Cally. Hell I won't even be here in 50 years, then you'll have peace!” Cally looked at him, not knowing how to respond as he said, “I'm gonna take a shower – then we'll have breakfast Southfork style!”

Cally lay in place as he left. She hadn't the nerve to tell him what Sue Ellen had said yesterday, or how she felt sure that her predecessor was anything but gone from their lives.

“Not a good way to start a union...” Cally said softly, into the pillow where Sue Ellen had slept.

The open road offered such a release as Sue Ellen put the car into cruise and left the city far behind her. Although sure of where she was headed, the temptation to go north, west and east nipped at her curiosity. She had to stay as focussed as possible, just incase John Ross asked her to turn back.

She was relieved to have chosen this time of the day. It was a Saturday and the traffic was yet to build. Although she was a little scared, she also felt strangely proud of herself for taking this step. There wasn't much to see in this part of Texas early on into the drive, just open fields and small businesses dotted along the freeway.

She suddenly felt the urge for coffee and a stretch of her long legs. Seeing the sign for 'Services' she pulled in. The sun was now fully up as she checked her location – Hutchins and Loves Travel Stop.

“Loves...” she thought. “How ironic...”

It seemed like a typical friendly Texas place. Locking the car and going inside the small diner, she was greeted by an older, slightly overweight waitress named Mandy.

Wondering whether to order or throw up on her, Sue Ellen once again rolled her eyes at the irony of the moment.

“Good morning m'am, I'm Mandy...what can I get for ya?”

Refusing to say her name out loud, Sue Ellen said with a slight smile, “Just black coffee please...”

“Sure! You wanna paper to go with that?”

Tempted to say yes but not wanting to read the society pages, which she would out of sheer curiosity, Sue Ellen politely declined. She sat back on the red leather seats and murmured, “...all I need now is for someone called Holly to walk through the door and I'll be in the Twilight Zone...”

Sue Ellen could hear Mandy annoyingly humming to herself and wondered was it something about the name. When she eventually brought the coffee, Mandy said,

“Here ya go hun...sorry about the wait...”

“Thank you...” Sue Ellen said, the smell of the coffee heightening her senses.

“Where ya headed?”

“Oh...far away...” Sue Ellen said.

Mandy studied her for a moment. “What did he do to you?”

Sue Ellen couldn't hide her shock and amazement. She let out a small laugh. “Too much to even go into”.

“I get it hun, I really do. Happened to me too. That's how I ended up here...”

“I'm sorry..” Sue Ellen said.

“Always wanted to get outta here and make something of myself ya know?” Mandy said wistfully.

“I'm sure you have done well...” Sue Ellen offered, not really in the mood to take on anyone else's problems.

“Well...whose gonna hire an overweight waitress for anything...with a name like Mannn-dy too?”

Sue Ellen laughed out loud. “Oh sorry, I'm not laughing at you...”, she said when she saw the look on Mandy's face. “It's just, I knew a Mandy once. And you know what? She really made it...lots of money, quite famous...”

“Really?” Mandy's eyes widened as she listened to Sue Ellen. “What does she do?”

Sue Ellen took a sip of her coffee before answering, “Well, it's a bit unorthadox...but..”

“Go on hun!” Mandy encouraged.

“She's a prostitute!”, Sue Ellen said.

“Oh my!! My my my my MY!, Mandy said as she walked away in disbelief.

Sue Ellen chuckled to herself as she sipped the long awaited coffee, pleased with her small, but much-needed victory.

John Ross waited until he was in the safety and privacy of his room to check his cell phone. He wanted desperately to see how far Sue Ellen had made it on her trip.

Clicking on the 'Track a Phone' app which Sue Ellen and he both had on their cells, he smiled when he saw the flashing circle, telling him she was on her journey and that she was safe.

“Wilmer...” he said to himself. “Hi Mama...”

He smiled as he sent her a text message. “I see you. Message me when you get this. Love you, John Ross x”

“JR where are ya goin?” Cally said, as she ran after JR through the patio doors.

JR sighed as he stopped in his tracks, “Just to the office Cally and then to pick up some last minute wedding things.”

“The office? Well...can I come witcha?”

“No Cally... I have work to do...”

Cally sighed, defeated again. “JR..”

JR waited to hear what she had to say before insisting she speak, “What is it Cally? I really have to go..”

“JR..do you wanna marry me?” she asked.

JR wasn't expecting that as he said, “What?”

“Do you wanna marry me? It's just...”

“It's just what?” he said, running quickly out of patience.

“You're always angry, always runnin'! I just thought maybe...you were runnin' to her...”, Cally said sadly.

“Running to who?”

“You know...”

“Cally would you spit it out please?”

“Sue Ellen”

JR was on the verge of losing his infamous-never-lost temper.

“Cally...it seems you are more hung up on Sue Ellen than I am...” JR said, his voice now low and threatening.

“What's that mean?” the girl asked.

“Well you keep talking about her...!”

“I just thought... well, I just thought maybe you still feel about her, the way she feels about you...”

“And what way is that?” JR asked.

Cally realised she'd almost said too much. “Well she loves you still don't she? I just thought maybe you felt the same about her...”

If JR felt something at that moment, he didn't show it. Instead he did what he was best at, avoiding any confrontation and skirted around Cally's insecurity.

“I'm marrying you Cally”, he said, with as much convincing as he could muster. “Put those silly thoughts out of your head”. He kissed her briefly on the cheek and said, “I gotta go. See you later.”

Cally swallowed hard as she watched him get into the car and quickly pull out of the driveway. The fact that he hadn't given her a definitive answer played heavily on her mind, but she chose to put it way back there, where she couldn't think about it anymore.

She was determined to make him love her, the way she loved him.

K

Karin Schill

Interesting update. I wonder what JR will do with the knowledge that Sue Ellen still loves him?

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lovely update.

JR and Sue Ellen have made SUCH a mess of their lives. I hope she can find some peace. And I hope he gets a swift kick in the arse!

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
JR's such an ass sometimes it might serve him right for Cally to leave and for him to be single and think about his behaviour for once.

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You're an idiot JR, and I DO wanna kick him in the arse.
Sue Ellen should've taken Cally with her Thelma and Louise style (the fun part minus, the rapist, crime and suicide obviously).
I feel really bad for her. She's annoying, but she' s also really sweet and deserves better.
Sending another BIG virtual hug for John Ross too.

Sue Ellen laughed out loud. “Oh sorry, I'm not laughing at you...”, she said when she saw the look on Mandy's face. “It's just, I knew a Mandy once. And you know what? She really made it...lots of money, quite famous...”

“Really?” Mandy's eyes widened as she listened to Sue Ellen. “What does she do?”

Sue Ellen took a sip of her coffee before answering, “Well, it's a bit unorthadox...but..”

“Go on hun!” Mandy encouraged.

“She's a prostitute!”, Sue Ellen said.

“Oh my!! My my my my MY!, Mandy said as she walked away in disbelief.

Sue Ellen chuckled to herself as she sipped the long awaited coffee, pleased with her small, but much-needed victory.

THAT'S MY GIRL That was too funny. But that waitress should go on the road trip too.

But what I want most is for our girl to get the peace and happiness she deserves.

And I trust with you that she will.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
It was late afternoon when Sue Ellen reached the Village by the Sea complex situated just outside the walls of Galveston. She had chosen the luxury area for its privacy and serenity, two factors that were immediately apparent as soon as she set foot outside of the car. The humidity still hung in the air and she breathed in the scent of the nearby jasmine flowers, one of her favourite scents.

A concierge immediatey came to to her to offer his assistance. Pointing her in the direction of the check in desk she thanked him, keeping all and any conversation to a minimum. She just wanted to get to her room as soon as possible.

The female clerk greeted her and asked for her details. Sue Ellen had registered under the name Brownlee, her mother's maiden name. She didn't expect anyone would be looking for her, but she didn't want to risk using the Ewing name, having come so far to get away from it.

"Do you have any special requests madam?" the pleasant clerk asked her.

"Just lots of privacy", Sue Ellen stated.

"Absolutely madam, it's what we are famous for", the clerk said with a smile.

"Should anyone ask for me, I'm not available" Sue Ellen instructed. "I have my cell with me and really the only person I am willing to talk to is my son".

"Yes m'am", the clerk nodded, curious but not prepared to ask any personal questions. "Our restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner from 6am through midnight. There is also a bar service on request to your room".

Relieved that the temptation of a mini bar was not an option, Sue Ellen smiled and said, "That's fine, thank you".

"Your suite is located in our Bay wing and Clark will help you with your luggage. I hope you have a wonderful stay with us Ms Brownlee".

"Thank you", Sue Ellen said and took a deep breath, relieved this part of her journey was over and she could now start to try to relax.

Women in Texas didn't usually tip, but in the absence of someone to do it for her, Sue Ellen handed Clark a generous tip from her purse. The young man smiled and thanked her, promising to be at her disposal at any time. As soon as he left, Sue Ellen closed the large wooden door to the suite and looked around her. It was beautiful. A huge private living space with designer furniture, in her favourite beach shades adorned the entrance to the suite. Going to the set of windows, she eagerly pulled back the large blue and white drapes to reveal a stunning view over Galveston bay. She smiled softly as she heard the chiming of the sails against the masts in the marina. The owner of one of the boats saw her and tipped his hat. She waved and felt almost immediately at home. The balcony was completely enclosed and private, which she was pleased about. She longed to sit in the sun and read, allowing both the rays and the pages to ease away her pain.

It was almost 5pm. Her journey had taken a little longer than she thought, owing to stops and the odd hiccup where she had almost turned back. Texas was huge. It could be lonely and the further she got from Dallas she understood the enormity of both and what she was doing. But how she was feeling kept her going.

Sitting on the plush couch and kicking off her boots, her thoughts once again turned to him. She wondered what he was doing now and if she had even entered his thoughts since she'd seen him earlier and left him in a cloud of dust on the driveway.

"Stop it Sue Ellen", she scolded herself, "Just stop it", she instructed as she lifted her purse, emptying the contents of it onto the couch, lifting her cell. Her heart leap when she saw she had a text and a smile crept over her face as she opened it. John Ross.

Reading his message and feeling warm that her son was keeping up his end of their 'bargain', she texted him back.

"Hi sweetheart!", she started, "Arrived safely at my apartment". She turned the phone to selfie mode and sent the boy a picture of her face, framed by the water in the background. "It's beautiful here. Are you doing ok?"

The boy must have had his phone in his hand as he texted back straight away. "Hi Momma! I'm ok, I'm glad you are safe. Love you xx"

Sue Ellen texted "Love you too xx" back to John Ross but sensed by the brevity of his message that he wasn't okay. She knew it was because of the wedding. But for once she was putting the sole responsibility of John Ross' pain on JR. It was up to him to see what he'd done and up to him to fix it. If he could be bothered. She needed this time for her, to adjust and to come back to reality and support John Ross when she was strong enough to do so.

With that, she walked towards the bedroom to shower and change for dinner. For the first time in a while, she had an appetite.

Later that evening, the Ewings were gathering for pre-dinner, pre-wedding cocktails. JR had deliberately spent the entire day at the office and arrived home just after 6pm. Thinking he would be able to slink upstairs for a relaxing shower, his luck was out as he ran straight into Bobby coming down the staircase.

JR knew by the look on Bobby's face that he wasn't about to engage in pleasantries.

"6 o'clock on a Saturday JR? Really?" Bobby asked with sarcasm, but quietly enough so the family couldn't hear.

"I had work to do Bob" JR shot back. "Finalising a few thing at the office before the wedding".

"Or finalising someone before the wedding..." Bobby said.

"Now that's enough Bobby. You..."

Their conversation was interrupted by Cally running out of the living room and embracing JR from behind by the waist.

"There you are!" she said with more excitement than JR was ready or prepared to cope with. "Y'all said you wouldn't be gone that long!"

JR patted her hands to try to release her steel-ironed grip on him. Bobby almost burst out laughing, enjoying the performance and the predictament that his older brother had gotten himself in to.

"Just gonna get changed for dinner Cally", JR winced.

"I'll come witcha!", Cally purred, causing Bobby to walk off in near hysterics.

"Now Cally it's bad luck the night before the wedding for the groom to...."

"It's only 6pm, we have plenty of time!" Cally cooed, leaving half the room under no illusion as to what she wanted to do to JR upstairs.

"Dinners at 7 sharp!" Bobby shouted laughing, as Miss Ellie playfully hit him in the stomach.

"Oh man I'm gonna hurl..." John Ross said into his hand as Christopher looked on quizzingly.

Upstairs, Cally attempted to help JR undress but he was resisting her at every turn.

"JR what's wrong?" the girl asked as she attempted to undo his tie.

"Nuthin...nuthin...Wedding nerves I guess", JR said, attempting a feeble smile.

"Well just you relax....relax and let me give you some of the good lovin'..." Cally said with a wink.

Just as Cally stood on her tiptoes to attempt to kiss him, there was a knock at the bedroom door.

"Dad?" John Ross called.

JR sighed with relief. "Yeah son?" he said, swinging open the door. Cally on the other hand sighed with disappointed frustration.

"Grandma sent me to get you. She said to hurry up and change because dinner is going to be earlier or something..."

"Thank you son", JR said to the boy before turning to Cally and saying, "Can't keep Mama waiting now can we? You go on with John Ross and I will be down in just a minute..."

Cally frowned but followed behind John Ross who didn't wait for her. John Ross smirked to himself. His little plan was working. He was determined to keep his father and Cally apart as much as possible.

Sue Ellen sat by the residents pool, observing the bounty of delicious seafood tapas that she had ordered. The sun was setting over Galveston and she could still smell the jasmine lingering in the air.

Although the resort didn't have many guests at that time, the occasional curious onlookers gazed in her direction. She would politely smile and then turn her attention back to the ocean.

Clark arrived with her cool non alcoholic cocktail, a combination of juices and berries. In the heat, it was a welcome relief to her thirst.

"Clark..?" Sue Ellen said quietly to the young man, "Who is that man over there at the bar area? He keeps staring at me..."

Discreetly, Clark turned his back to the bar and said, "That is James Kendrick the Third. He's a well known oil man.."

Sue Ellen nodded in acknowledgement. She thought she had recognised him. "Could you do me a favor please Clark?"

"Of course madam", Clark said, standing to attention.

"If Mr Kendrick attempts to come over here, could you please redirect him? I just want to be alone.."

"Without hesitation madam", Clark said, now taking on the role of Sue Ellen's protector.

As she ate, and predictably within a few moment, Mr Kendrick the Third did infact to make his way over to Sue Ellen. Similar to JR in stature, but much smaller, Clark wasted no time in approaching the man as soon as he realised he was getting too close. Kendrick seemed to 'huff' and turned on his heels to walk away. Sue Ellen winked at Clark, who seemed very pleased with himself.

Enjoying her food, and observing the night sky coupled with the sound of the sea, Sue Ellen felt herself relax from months and months of nervous tension. "If only...." she thought to herself.

Although she knew what lay ahead in just over 24 hours, she was doing a very good job of removing herself and her mind from the situation. It was as if she was now, a whole world away.

"I thought you said dinner was earlier John Ross?" JR asked, pulling John Ross gently to one side and whispering to him.

"I thought that's what Grandma said, Daddy", John Ross said.

JR raised his eyebrows at the boy, "Uh-huh". JR was secretly impressed at his son's acumen at displaying what JR believed to be the same sneaky traits that he had.

As if saved by the bell, Teresa entered and announced as usual, "Dinner is ready Mrs Farlow".

"Thank you Teresa", Miss Ellie said, encouraging John Ross and Christopher to enter the dining room first, and deliberately stalling behind with Bobby.

"Do you think he's alright?" Miss Ellie asked Bobby quietly.

"I don't know Mama, I give up. I've tried to talk some sense into him. I didn't get anywhere. It's as if he's hell bent on ruining his life and everyone else's around him".

Miss Ellie frowned. "I talked to Sue Ellen yesterday. She's distraught."

Bobby sighed. "I wish she'd just forget him Mama".

"I do too. But I know your brother. And something tells me he isn't as over Sue Ellen as he would like to make out...."

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I want to smack JR right upside his stupid head!

Great update!