• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Male and Female Characters - The Result

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Last day to vote.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Men:
1. Gary Ewing- The most complex of the Ewing brothers, Ted Shackleford played him as not a weak man, but as a man who struggled with, and eventually triumphed, over, weaknesses. TS gave several emmy worthy performances and more than a few plots would have seemed empty without him. Knots Landing

2.J.R Ewing- Duplicitous, cruel, vengeful...and a sense of humor! You could tell Larry Hagman was having a great time playing the "man we love to hate," and he was so talented, a great time was had by one and all. Well, except Seth Stone, Kristin, Julie, Nicholas Pearce, because they died, and Peter and Sue Ellen, and...Ok, just JR and the viewers had a great time. JR was one of kind. There never will be another. Dallas.

3. Bobby Ewing- Yes, he could get on my nerves at times, but he made up for it tenfold because he was a good guy at heart who stood up to anyone and (usually) saved the day. He also had a streak of grey so that his "good guy" persona didn't become too syrupy. Plus, he came to the rescue of Sue Ellen and Valene(see women list). That counts a lot in my book. Dallas

4. Greg Sumner- What can I say that other posters haven't already said? He wasn't really a good guy, but when he was in villain mode, he surprised us with a flicker of humanity and warmth. William Devane, imho, played him as a tragic character. He was a man who sold his soul and mourned it every day of his life, painfully aware he didn't have it in him to get it back. The closest a character on all the soaps ever came to being "Shakespearean." Knots Landing

5. Mack Mackenzie. Alright, knock it off! Who's doing all that yelling? Oh, it's you, Mack. If you pipe down for a minute I'll explain why you're on this list. In barely half a season on the show you became the alpha male among some pretty formidable alpha females. I mean, you held your own with Karen, Abby, Paige, Anne, Diana, and you still managed to rescue/advise Valene multiple times without going into a psychotic fugue yourself. Sid may have been a saint, but I'm petitioning the pope to at least have you beatified. I loved how you connected with all the characters and kept the storylines grounded. Cul-de-sac might mean "dead end," but you added a spark of life that kept it going for ten more years. Knots Landing

Women
1. Abby Cunningham Ewing Summer. Malicious, deceitful, vengeful, and basically a murderess. So why did I find myself all but rooting for her? The blue-eyed she devil of Seaview Circle stole Gary, Lotus Point, almost stole baby Meg, and it's only to the great credit of the other actors that she didn't steal every scene she was in and not just a lot of them
The most fascinating thing about her was her smarts. It was always great fun watching her create trouble AND get herself out of trouble. She was even smart enough to steal the number one spot on this list, knocking out a certain Grand English Lady in hats and furs. Eye shadow and intelligence beats caviar and burnt champagne. Knots Landing

2. Claudia Blaisedale. You know there's something to a lady when she can be interesting amongst the likes of Alexis Krystle and Fallon at their best. Sensitive, compassionate, tragic, and often as crazy as a hoot owl, Claudia was so wonderfully complex in season 1 and 2, I'm putting her on this list. It must be Pamela Bellwood's acting talent that allowed Claudia not to be completely eclipsed by her three costars, and at times, even more fascinating. Poor Claudia. You endured two stays in a mental institution, two Carrington husbands, Alexis and Mother Blaisedale as mother in laws, and Lindsay. If only you didn't play with matches. Dynasty

3. Valene Ewing Gibson Waleska Ewing. You caught my eye when you were the scrappy blonde standing up to JR as best you could on Dallas. Then in California you were cheated on, threatened, had your babies kidnapped, YOU were kidnapped, and the list goes on and on. Yet you never gave up and you never became bitter. I see you as the other side of Greg Sumner. He lost faith in the world and gave up his principles. You probably endured ten times the drama and disappointment he did, yet you held on to your core values. Sure, Greg was the disillusioned politician and grieving widower. You had to look in a mirror and call yourself flat chested on an 80's prime time soap! You've truly been through it all, Val. Stop by for coffee anytime. Knots Landing
4. Sue Ellen Linda Grey once said SE was the most fascinating woman on television at the time. Outside of Knots Landing, she was right. You battled JR and the bottle, you could be snooty, cold, even a bitch, but Ms.Grey imbued you with such humanity it was easy to see why so many men fell head over heels(and in one case, a balcony) for you. JR would never have been as intriguing if you weren't around.
Dallas.
5. Karen Mackenzie. If you were a real person and lived next door to me, we'd probably get into a lot of heated discussions, but I'd still want to be your friend. Michelle Lee definitely took in more than a few calories chewing the scenery, but she was also a great actress who made Karen human and likeable. It truly wouldn't have been Knots Landing without her. Knots Landing

Last edited:

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The results are in and we have our King and Queen of Soapland.

The Ewing brothers have manged to take the top 3 places, with JR coming out on top.

1. JR Ewing (58 points)

ea5c7ff032f2b89bd466d0d994cf9ee7.jpg

2. Bobby Ewing (37 points)

3. Gary Ewing (29 points)

4. Richard Channing (26 points)

5. Greg Sumner (24 points)

And we have two Mrs. Ewings taking the top places, followed by a couple of Mrs. Colbys, with Pam coming out on top.

1. Pam Ewing (41 points)

8e7c88089d8b2ba82b802ab7bf035e0e.jpg

2. Sue Ellen Ewing (32 points)

3. Alexis Colby (29 points)

4. Sable Colby (27 points)

5. Miss Ellie (23 points)

Last edited: