The marvellously mirthful Miriam Margolyes

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Following on from this, I've moved on to Miriam's Big Fat Adventure which is proving predictably entertaining in covering another taboo subject.

A couple of interviews where she discusses the series:

(When asked what drew her to making the series):
Miriam Margolyes said:
Well, principally the money, I think. That was a big draw.... And I know about being fat because I've been fat all my life.

Miriam Margolyes said:
I think it's absolutely ridiculous to be seventy eight and fat... I was very stupid... But I'm battling on and I'm not hating myself. I hated myself for a long time, and now I rather love myself actually.

Miriam Margolyes said:
If you can try to be healthy, that is the great thing. Especially these days when... well, I don't know how long we're going to have a National Health Service, do I? Coming from the political spectrum that I come from.

Miriam Margolyes said:
I know what I look like, and I hate it.

Miriam Margolyes said:
[Food is] advertised all the time. I know I'm on ITV and that's how we all make our money, but it's wrong. People don't need to be persuaded to eat. We eat. We have to eat to stay alive. So why are we having advertisements pushing food at us? (*calls offstage*) And save the chicken kiev, please.

Miriam Margolyes said:
We should be kind, but everybody should be able to use the word "fat" and not die when they use it. It is a real word. It's what I am. Look at me... It's awful.

Miriam Margolyes said:
People are always laughing and making silly jokes... It's not kind... We wouldn't do it to blacks and Jews and cripples. We don't make fun of them. So don't make fun of fat people. Understand - we know we're fat, and it hurts.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Miriam briefly mentions the series I have lined up next at the end of this interview:

And there's a lot of other ground covered...

On Maggie Smith:
Miriam Margolyes said:
I think my Scottish accent is better than hers... But I know what she was trying for. Not that I'm rubbishing Maggie Smith because she's a great lady. I'm f'kin' scared of her actually... Don't tell her what I said for goodness' sake. [*when reminded she's just said it on telly*] Oh yeah. I forget that.

On Hallowe'en:
Miriam Margolyes said:
I can't stand the whole thing. I can't bear it.... American invention. I loathe it.

On other celebrations:
Miriam Margolyes said:
Christmas is fun. Food. And Doolally... Do- Dowa... Diwali. Diwali. Doolally's the other thing... That's not politically correct... I'll have my sari snapped.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
They also have:
  • Miriam's Dead Good Adventure (where she explores our relationship with death)
  • Miriam's Big Fat Adventure (where she investigates why obesity is on the rise)
  • Almost Australian (looking at what it means to be Australian)
Thanks, Mel, for mentioning these; I found them all on Sky and downloaded them. I hadn't seen these before; I thought the American Adventure was a one-off. We watched the Fat Adventure the other night, and it was every bit as wonderful, sad and insightful as her American Adventure. I don't know how she does it, but Miriam can say it as it is without being offensive.

I'm looking forward to doing the other two in the next week or so.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I hadn't seen these before; I thought the American Adventure was a one-off.

The most recent one - Almost Australian - is from just last year, so I'm hoping there may be plans for more of these series. There are so many possibilities and avenues to explore. I'd love to see her do a series on faiths, for example. That would be a really interesting adventure.

We watched the Fat Adventure the other night, and it was every bit as wonderful, sad and insightful as her American Adventure.

Wasn't it? I'm surprised by how touching I've found some of these. I was really expecting to laugh a lot, and I have. But I had no idea I'd end up so moved by some moments.

I don't know how she does it, but Miriam can say it as it is without being offensive.

I really admire that in her. And I'm a little envious, too.

I'm looking forward to doing the other two in the next week or so.

Great. You're in for a treat.

I've now watched three of the four series, and started the final one last night. It's sad to think I've already watched 80% of them as I could watch her all day long.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'd love to see her do a series on faiths, for example.
Ooh, that would be fascinating, and another that springs to mind would be something around plastic surgery. I know Miriam covered a little bit about operating on our bodies in the Fat Adventure, but there is another world out there with so many people choosing to change the way their body looks.

There are so many possibilities and avenues to explore.
Just look at the two options we picked up on. If we were in a pub taking on the world, I'm sure we would have enough to keep Miriam working for another 30 years.

I've now watched three of the four series,
I've skipped your post on what I haven't watched yet; I'll be checking in later with that one. You have a natural talent for highlighting so many bits and pieces from the shows you watch, so I'm looking forward to more of your thoughts later.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Ooh, that would be fascinating,

Yes. Without going into specifics, Miriam mentioned her relationship with her Jewish faith more than once in the Dead Good Adventure. At the very beginning of the series she mentioned one Jewish custom that I wasn't aware of, but as soon as I heard it it made sense to me. That's the kind of stuff I'd be interested in seeing. Finding out about the little things that are meaningful to people who follow certain faiths.

And I remember times when I've heard about things like bricks being thrown through mosque windows and find myself wondering how that really affects the people who visit them. I can almost visualise Miriam chatting to people to find out the human story behind the big picture.

another that springs to mind would be something around plastic surgery. I know Miriam covered a little bit about operating on our bodies in the Fat Adventure, but there is another world out there with so many people choosing to change the way their body looks.

Oh yes. That's a topic that could take so many angles, and I think it's something Miriam - who's very open about her body image issues - would really be able to get a grip on.

If we were in a pub taking on the world, I'm sure we would have enough to keep Miriam working for another 30 years.

Oh definitely. Now that you've mentioned plastic surgery, it's got me thinking about social media pressures, and I then thought it might be fun to see Eighty-something Miriam do a documentary about social media, or even the internet in general.

You have a natural talent for highlighting so many bits and pieces from the shows you watch, so I'm looking forward to more of your thoughts later.

Thanks. I've quickly run out of steam with the Miriam ones and found myself writing less and less as I watched. Not because there's nothing to say, but more because I ended up so absorbed in it. In many ways it's the kind of series you just have to watch. Not that it'll stop me commenting on the final series.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
With two out of three watched, I've been thoroughly enjoying Miriam Margolyes: Almost Australian.

Once again, Miriam feels very fearless in her exploration. From outback pubs to driving into the middle of nowhere to meeting remote indigenous Australian communities. And her bluntness gets to the heart of things in a very short space of time. Politically Correct she isn't. "Why are you that size?", she asks an obese man, despite their conversation having nothing to do with weight. And on meeting a group of transgender Aboriginals, she asks "Have you have your cocks sliced off?"

But it's her lack of filter that allows her to form meaningful connections very quickly. And in turn we go deep and blow away any preconceptions or assumptions. The rugged bloke running the outback watering hole banters away with Miriam but is hiding something. Miriam is later told (off camera) that his wife is seriously ill with cancer and he is facing the prospect of selling up and moving. The woman living as a free spirit in her winnebago is doing so because like many older people she could no longer afford to run a house. The happy farming family she meets are facing ruin due to the cruel drought that has been going on for several years, with the man of the house on the verge of suicide the previous year. The men openly talk about feelings, and the Aboriginal children recognise Miriam as Professor Sprout.

Miriam recognises the treatment of the indigenous population as a source of great shame to Australia and it is very eye-opening to see how far below the poverty line many live because they are not given opportunities. It really feels as though they have been pushed down and kept down. One woman described Australia Day as an annual day of mourning. It's shocking to see that this is happening in a First World country in the 2020s.

These connections of Miriam's can happen anywhere it seems. She pops into a shop for a Pyrex dish and ends up having a heart to heart with an employee who is a refugee from Afghanistan whose parents were killed when he was young (he doesn't even know his actual age or birthday) and is now facing the prospect of deportation. It's an unexpectedly touching moment:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I was expecting quirk and I certainly got it. I wasn't sure where it would be based, but it makes sense Miriam would travel to America where there's an abundance of alternative practices.
We finished this two-parter last night, and at first, I wasn't sure how it would span over two-hourly episodes, and here I feel like I want more.

Like you, I found it quirky, emotional and completely fascinating. From meeting various people in America who believe they will live to 500 years to meeting organisers promoting how they will live forever, don't forget to drop a cheque off by the door before you leave. I felt some of them were preying on vulnerable people into making them believe they could live for twice as long and even longer.

One of the promoters came across truly horrible, even saying she would be happy if a couple of them did die to get away from them.

The sex magic class! What was that all about? Apart from laughing at Miriam's reaction as she watched them, I was lost by how they interpreted an orgasm. It was pure nonsense, nothing else, well, unless I've got it all wrong about what an orgasm is. Not that I want to dig into that any more than what I watched.

The second part of Miriam's Dead Good Adventures continued the trend of moistening my eyes.
Wasn't it just? I was moved so much by the friendships she made, from the lovely Tracey leaving her two daughters behind to the young lad diagnosed with terminal. As well as the wonderful husband spending as much time as possible with his wife in the care home with Altzheimer's.

I can never make up my mind if it's better to know when you're going to die or not. Tracey's story was heartbreaking, but as she mentioned, she gets to say all her goodbyes and make plans.

I love how much detail her exploration is and how she finds stories across the globe and not just in one place. The idea of building your coffin shocked me, and then I thought it could be therapeutic to go through that process and to decide what would go in the coffin with you. I liked how one guy took photos and concert tickets with him. That said, I'm not sure where one would store that homemade coffin until one was to pass away.

Miriam's idea of using stones instead of flowers when visiting a grave made sense seeing how flowers die after a short time.

I had a big grin on my face when I watched Miriam in the sidecar. Nothing phases her.
1634627074127.png

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
We finished this two-parter last night, and at first, I wasn't sure how it would span over two-hourly episodes, and here I feel like I want more.

Yes indeed, I felt that way to some degree about all four series, but especially the two-parters.

The sex magic class! What was that all about? Apart from laughing at Miriam's reaction as she watched them, I was lost by how they interpreted an orgasm. It was pure nonsense, nothing else, well, unless I've got it all wrong about what an orgasm is. Not that I want to dig into that any more than what I watched.

I'd have reacted the same way as Miriam. In fact I don't think I'd even have stayed in the room.

It made sense to me on some level in the same way as something like reiki which uses the bodies' external energies. Or chanting. Or laughter therapy, which takes something that makes you feel good and uses it. But watching it take place, shooting the "orgasm" out of the top of the head seemed plain silly. I did wonder if this is genuinely how the class is run when the cameras aren't there, or if it's actually something quite dodgy.

I was moved so much by the friendships she made, from the lovely Tracey leaving her two daughters behind to the young lad diagnosed with terminal. As well as the wonderful husband spending as much time as possible with his wife in the care home with Altzheimer's.

Same here. It was beautiful to watch. I was so glad when she made her second visit to Tracey after being unsure if she'd ever see her again. And her return to visit the husband and wife in the care home is one of those images that will stay with me for a long time.

I can never make up my mind if it's better to know when you're going to die or not. Tracey's story was heartbreaking, but as she mentioned, she gets to say all her goodbyes and make plans.

From my experiences of bereavement to date, I feel not knowing is probably better for the person who dies but knowing is probably better for loved ones.

At some point soon, I'm hoping to start getting my "affairs being in order" (as they say on the telly) so at least I can feel a little prepared. Just in case.

I love how much detail her exploration is and how she finds stories across the globe and not just in one place.

Yes, and it makes sense for her to do that. She grew up in the UK, lived in America during the Seventies and is now also an official Australian citizen, so she has a good understanding of different cultures in the English-speaking world.

The idea of building your coffin shocked me, and then I thought it could be therapeutic to go through that process and to decide what would go in the coffin with you. I liked how one guy took photos and concert tickets with him. That said, I'm not sure where one would store that homemade coffin until one was to pass away.

Yes, like you, I thought it seemed a very therapeutic process. But I had similar practical concerns like the storage you mentioned. Like Miriam asked about what happens if she puts on weight and no longer fits. And I'd worry about my tastes changing and wanting a different design on it or something.

Miriam's idea of using stones instead of flowers when visiting a grave made sense seeing how flowers die after a short time.

To me, too. In fact that's the Jewish tradition I vaguely mentioned earlier on in the thread when I was trying not to give spoilers about this series.

I had a big grin on my face when I watched Miriam in the sidecar. Nothing phases her.

She's really fearless, and I adore her for it.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'd have reacted the same way as Miriam. In fact I don't think I'd even have stayed in the room.
I'm with you; I wouldn't want to be in the room either. It was bad enough watching it on the screen, and I think it was Miriam's facial expressions that carried me through.

From my experiences of bereavement to date, I feel not knowing is probably better for the person who dies but knowing is probably better for loved ones.
That makes sense, I get it, but I'm still undecided :lol:

she has a good understanding of different cultures in the English-speaking world.
She certainly does, and even though she can be blunt, it never comes across that way.

I'm not a fan of profanity, but in Miriam's case, I find it kind of endearing if that is possible. She's not afraid to use the F word when reacting to something that blows her away.

We only have the Australian series left and I'm already starting to feel like its' over and done.

Have you watched any of the Louis Theroux documentaries? We have only done the 'America's Most Hated Family', which I think is three episodes, and it was alarming. I also got a vibe from the way Louis conducts his interest in others that while he can be very blunt, it doesn't appear to upset whoever he is chatting with.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I think it was Miriam's facial expressions that carried me through.

Same here. She didn't even have to say anything as it was very clear what she was thinking.

but I'm still undecided :lol:

Definitely understandable. There are pros and cons to both (though it is death, so I suppose the "con" list is always going to be a bit longer).

I'm not a fan of profanity, but in Miriam's case, I find it kind of endearing if that is possible. She's not afraid to use the F word when reacting to something that blows her away.

I love that she doesn't change the way she speaks for anyone. Some love it and some hate it, but people often seem to find it unexpected or even shocking, which I enjoy.

We only have the Australian series left and I'm already starting to feel like its' over and done.

I know that feeling. At least Almost Australian is a three-parter.

Have you watched any of the Louis Theroux documentaries? We have only done the 'America's Most Hated Family', which I think is three episodes, and it was alarming.

I've seen some clips of America's Most Hated Family (partly because I couldn't believe anyone would want to talk to that mob) and found him an interesting interviewer. Looking at a list of his documentaries, I'm sure I'd enjoy watching them if they show up on the old iPlayer.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Miriam Margolyes: Almost Australian.
We finished this series last night, and just like her other shows, Miriam delivers, meets people from all walks of life, and she gains so much fascinating information along the way.

From outback pubs to driving into the middle of nowhere to meeting remote indigenous Australian communities.
Fearless is the word I would use too. We have travelled to many places and felt a little panicky if the car was to break down. That said, the roads Miriam travelled on were the most remote I've seen, and I kept thinking, what if she had a flat tyre? Who knows what wild animals would be lurking around. I don't know how they film these and what cameramen she has with her. Every ariel shot shows her solo on the roads. I say roads, some of them were like red sand which can't be healthy for the vehicle.

Politically Correct she isn't. "Why are you that size?", she asks an obese man, despite their conversation having nothing to do with weight. And on meeting a group of transgender Aboriginals, she asks "Have you have your cocks sliced off?"
These questions often shock me with how direct she is, but I love that she is genuine rather than taking the mickey, and I think the people she chats with see this because they always answer or laugh alongside her over the cheek. The questions are what most people would be thinking but would never dare to speak out loud.

The men openly talk about feelings
This surprised me because, at first, I thought they came across opposite to men revealing their inner emotions.

Miriam recognises the treatment of the indigenous population as a source of great shame to Australia and it is very eye-opening to see how far below the poverty line many live because they are not given opportunities.
This shocked me and had me thinking about the nickname Australia has as the Lucky Country.

These connections of Miriam's can happen anywhere it seems. She pops into a shop for a Pyrex dish and ends up having a heart to heart with an employee who is a refugee from Afghanistan whose parents were killed when he was young (he doesn't even know his actual age or birthday) and is now facing the prospect of deportation. It's an unexpectedly touching moment:
I felt a mixture of wonder and sadness, thankful that he had found life in Australia and yet upsetting that he did not know his identity when he was born.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
We finished this series last night

At the end of watching, I found myself really wanting to dive into another Miriam series. I do hope she does something similar soon.

We have travelled to many places and felt a little panicky if the car was to break down. That said, the roads Miriam travelled on were the most remote I've seen, and I kept thinking, what if she had a flat tyre? Who knows what wild animals would be lurking around.

Oh God, yes. There's so much to think about and it can be quite a harsh environment even if she did have someone with her. Australia looks so appealing in so many ways, but then I think about the wildlife - the snakes and spiders and sharks - and suddenly I'm not in a rush to move there. :D

I don't know how they film these and what cameramen she has with her. Every ariel shot shows her solo on the roads.

I wondered that as well. A lot of the footage was taken from the windscreen in front of her so I wondered if Miriam had some kind of Go Pro setup with different cameras - or one that she moved round - for the driving scenes. She must have had a crew - even a tiny one - for the outdoor scenes, but whether they travelled with her or separately I could only imagine. I can't imagine the BBC letting an eighty year old TV presenter face all that alone. But then I can't imagine anyone stopping Miriam if that's what she wanted to do.

Actually, I wondered about a number of the encounters: did she really just bump into these people, or was there some arrangement and it was done this way to look more spontaneous. I can be very cynical about TV trickery.

These questions often shock me with how direct she is, but I love that she is genuine rather than taking the mickey, and I think the people she chats with see this because they always answer or laugh alongside her over the cheek.

Definitely. And because she asks the questions, she gets the answers. The trans women, for example, corrected her for assuming being trans was about what sex organs one still has and explained it was an internal state. Not only did Miriam learn from the conversation, but probably many viewers who - as you said - might have thought something but would never have asked out loud.

I felt a mixture of wonder and sadness, thankful that he had found life in Australia and yet upsetting that he did not know his identity when he was born.

Same here. It was a really beautiful conversation and it made me think that there are many people in his position all over the world.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I do hope she does something similar soon.
Oh, me too and one about religion and another about plastic surgery would be fantastic. However, I will accept anything Miriam chooses because you can always guarantee whatever she discovers/explores will be gripping and informative.

suddenly I'm not in a rush to move there.
:haha:

Actually, I wondered about a number of the encounters: did she really just bump into these people, or was there some arrangement and it was done this way to look more spontaneous. I can be very cynical about TV trickery.
We had that very conversation last night when Miriam bumped into those two ladies from the Bash and how quickly Miriam jumped into their car to visit the rest of the Bash. Again, another fascinating find, and I agree with her regarding the old vehicles and loud exhausts; I laughed when she lost her temper with the Pie Man who she accused of farting his car in her face.

The trans women, for example, corrected her for assuming being trans was about what sex organs one still has and explained it was an internal state.
Yes, that was a great comment.

Having watched a couple of transgender people in the Big Brother house, I learned so much, including how it's not about the genitals like how women corrected Miriam. Though, if anyone is going to ask that question about cutting it off, Miriam is the one. :D

I love how matter of fact, she comes across, and if more people were strong enough to ask those questions, we might not have so many angry people. As they say, it's good to talk. You don't learn as much if you don't ask.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
one about religion and another about plastic surgery would be fantastic.

Now we've put it out into the universe I'm really hoping it happens. Stranger things have happened.

However, I will accept anything Miriam chooses because you can always guarantee whatever she discovers/explores will be gripping and informative.

Same here. I'm so drawn in by her thirst to discover new things and her interest in people and culture.

We had that very conversation last night when Miriam bumped into those two ladies from the Bash and how quickly Miriam jumped into their car to visit the rest of the Bash.

Yes. I'd say some of it was a little bit "organised", but I'll take it because you know that once introductions are over and Miriam begins interacting with them and asking questions it's all 100% spontaneous. And anything can happen.

I agree with her regarding the old vehicles and loud exhausts; I laughed when she lost her temper with the Pie Man who she accused of farting his car in her face.

That was a great moment.

I love seeing old cars, but the more everyday sort that you used to see on the streets all the time in the Seventies and Eighties. But I have no interest in the souped up kind with the huge exhausts and all the bling. With some people it seems to be about being the loudest, and that's when they deserve a good dressing down from Miriam.

I love how matter of fact, she comes across, and if more people were strong enough to ask those questions, we might not have so many angry people. As they say, it's good to talk. You don't learn as much if you don't ask.

You're absolutely right. I've been in situations before now where I've not asked certain questions out of politeness and someone else has gone ahead and asked. You can always feel the relief that someone has asked what everyone else wanted to. I'd love to be that bold person.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Miriam Margolyes is a guest on The Graham Norton Show next week which should be fun because the time when she was on with will.i.am was probably one of the best episodes ever of that show.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Miriam Margolyes is a guest on The Graham Norton Show next week which should be fun because the time when she was on with will.i.am was probably one of the best episodes ever of that show.

Oh yes - that was a classic. It'll be great to see her back on the sofa.

A huge part of the fun of her appearances are the reactions of the other guests, so I wonder who'll be seated alongside her.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
There was something in the papers yesterday about MM and Alan Cummings teaming up for a show touring Scotland

Like Brain Cox, Mr Cummings is a total hypocrite, lives in New York but tells us all to vote for independence

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I haven't watched the entire episode yet, but the clips look promising:
We viewed this last night, and as always, Miriam is a delight to watch. Oh, how I would have enjoyed a full hour with just her and Graham. The story you posted is hilarious; there was as always, a lot of laughs when Miriam spoke. As we know, she doesn't hold back in anything. The book wasn't something she would do until she learned of the money she would earn from doing it, and then the mention of Winona Ryder as a shoplifter... :lol:

Paul Rudd's clever photo manipulation was also amusing to watch.