The Masked Singer

Englishboy

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, I was way off with my guesses!

Ne Yo is the only one of this year's celebrities who I have not heard of.

Regarding Joss Stone, the Blackpool clue was a bit of a red herring.

Apparently, there is a beach in South Devon where Joss was raised called Blackpool sands.

Whatever, I have thoroughly enjoyed this year's series. Roll on the Masked Dancer later on in the year.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What I really like about this series is the quality of the singers they have on it. It's not the usual reality TV stars or former Hollyoaks actors that are behind the mask but some really high calibre and famous singers like Ne-Yo, Sophie Ellis-Bexter and Morten Harket and well known celebrities like Graham Hoddle, Lenny Henry and John Thompson.

The overnight ratings for the show were also good: 8.6 million viewers average and a peak 10.6 million.

Marika

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
In Germany, season 4 is currently in full swing. So far we've had 3 shows.

These contestants have been eliminated:

Das Schwein (The Pig) -> sports reporter Katrin Müller-Hohenstein

Das Einhorn (The Unicorn) -> former Olympic swimmer Franziska van Almsick

Das Quokka (The Quokka) -> actor Henning Baum

These are still in the running:

Der Stier (The Bull) -> most probably singer Guildo Horn (represented Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest 1998)

Die Schildkröte (The Turtle) -> most probably singer Thomas Anders (one half of 80s pop act Modern Talking)

Der Monstronaut (The Monstronaut) -> rumored to be either Thore Schölermann or Daniel Poschmann (both tv hosts)

Der Leopard (The Leopard) -> most probably singer Cassandra Steen

Das Küken (The Chick) -> most probably tv host Judith Rakers

Der Flamingo (The Flamingo) -> has an androgynous voice ... rumored to be singer Ross Antony

Der Dinosaurer (The Dinosaur) -> most probably singer Sasha

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
In Germany, season 4 is currently in full swing. So far we've had 3 shows.

These contestants have been eliminated:

Das Schwein (The Pig) -> sports reporter Katrin Müller-Hohenstein

Das Einhorn (The Unicorn) -> former Olympic swimmer Franziska van Almsick

Das Quokka (The Quokka) -> actor Henning Baum

These are still in the running:

Der Stier (The Bull) -> most probably singer Guildo Horn (represented Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest 1998)

Die Schildkröte (The Turtle) -> most probably singer Thomas Anders (one half of 80s pop act Modern Talking)

Der Monstronaut (The Monstronaut) -> rumored to be either Thore Schölermann or Daniel Poschmann (both tv hosts)

Der Leopard (The Leopard) -> most probably singer Cassandra Steen

Das Küken (The Chick) -> most probably tv host Judith Rakers

Der Flamingo (The Flamingo) -> has an androgynous voice ... rumored to be singer Ross Antony

Der Dinosaurer (The Dinosaur) -> most probably singer Sasha
It's interesting that so many songs were performed in English rather than German.

Marika

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 4 of the Masked Singer Germany was won by singer Sasha, posing as the Dinosaur.

I've not heard of Sasha as I don't think she has broken in to the UK market yet. How big a star is she? What amazes me about the UK version of The Masked Singer is that they have some really high profile celebrities taking part.

Marika

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I've not heard of Sasha as I don't think she has broken in to the UK market yet. How big a star is she? What amazes me about the UK version of The Masked Singer is that they have some really high profile celebrities taking part.
Haha, Sasha is a guy :D Usually spelled "Sascha", it's a short form of Alexander. He's been in the music business since 1997 and has released 7 successful studio albums.
A few years ago, he switched from singing in English to German.

This was probably his biggest hit from 1998:

Cassandra Steen, who came 2nd this season, has also been making music since the early 2000s, both as a solo artist and as the frontwoman of "Glashaus".

Thomas Anders, who finished 4th, was one half of 80s pop duo "Modern Talking" who were huge in most parts of Europe (except for the UK, it seems).

Ross Antony (who was born in England) has been in the spotlight since the early 2000s when he was part of the pop group "Bro'Sis". Now he's a well known schlager singer and tv host. Thore Schölermann was once a soap actor, and because of his popular gay storyline he gained an international fanbase. He's now a tv host, presenting "The Voice of Germany" and other shows. Judith Rakers hosts the most watched news on TV, and Olympic swimmer Franziska van Almsick was a media sensation in the 90s.

I think this latest season had the most high-quality celebrities to date.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haha, Sasha is a guy :D
Oops, that was embarrassing for me, lol. He's a good singer, it's a shame he's not more widely known in the UK.

The Mask Singer continues to fascinate me. It's a show I shouldn't really like because it's so crazy but I always find myself compelled to watch it.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Masked Singer is a guilty pleasure of mine as well. It’s not something I would normally watch but for some reason when I start watching it I can’t stop. I find it very fascinating.

Emelee

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Swedish version premiered last week.

The 6 first performances: