• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The Masked Singer

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, I was way off with my guesses!

Ne Yo is the only one of this year's celebrities who I have not heard of.

Regarding Joss Stone, the Blackpool clue was a bit of a red herring.

Apparently, there is a beach in South Devon where Joss was raised called Blackpool sands.

Whatever, I have thoroughly enjoyed this year's series. Roll on the Masked Dancer later on in the year.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What I really like about this series is the quality of the singers they have on it. It's not the usual reality TV stars or former Hollyoaks actors that are behind the mask but some really high calibre and famous singers like Ne-Yo, Sophie Ellis-Bexter and Morten Harket and well known celebrities like Graham Hoddle, Lenny Henry and John Thompson.

The overnight ratings for the show were also good: 8.6 million viewers average and a peak 10.6 million.

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In Germany, season 4 is currently in full swing. So far we've had 3 shows.

These contestants have been eliminated:

Das Schwein (The Pig) -> sports reporter Katrin Müller-Hohenstein

Das Einhorn (The Unicorn) -> former Olympic swimmer Franziska van Almsick

Das Quokka (The Quokka) -> actor Henning Baum

These are still in the running:

Der Stier (The Bull) -> most probably singer Guildo Horn (represented Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest 1998)

Die Schildkröte (The Turtle) -> most probably singer Thomas Anders (one half of 80s pop act Modern Talking)

Der Monstronaut (The Monstronaut) -> rumored to be either Thore Schölermann or Daniel Poschmann (both tv hosts)

Der Leopard (The Leopard) -> most probably singer Cassandra Steen

Das Küken (The Chick) -> most probably tv host Judith Rakers

Der Flamingo (The Flamingo) -> has an androgynous voice ... rumored to be singer Ross Antony

Der Dinosaurer (The Dinosaur) -> most probably singer Sasha

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
In Germany, season 4 is currently in full swing. So far we've had 3 shows.

These contestants have been eliminated:

Das Schwein (The Pig) -> sports reporter Katrin Müller-Hohenstein

Das Einhorn (The Unicorn) -> former Olympic swimmer Franziska van Almsick

Das Quokka (The Quokka) -> actor Henning Baum

These are still in the running:

Der Stier (The Bull) -> most probably singer Guildo Horn (represented Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest 1998)

Die Schildkröte (The Turtle) -> most probably singer Thomas Anders (one half of 80s pop act Modern Talking)

Der Monstronaut (The Monstronaut) -> rumored to be either Thore Schölermann or Daniel Poschmann (both tv hosts)

Der Leopard (The Leopard) -> most probably singer Cassandra Steen

Das Küken (The Chick) -> most probably tv host Judith Rakers

Der Flamingo (The Flamingo) -> has an androgynous voice ... rumored to be singer Ross Antony

Der Dinosaurer (The Dinosaur) -> most probably singer Sasha
It's interesting that so many songs were performed in English rather than German.

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 4 of the Masked Singer Germany was won by singer Sasha, posing as the Dinosaur.

I've not heard of Sasha as I don't think she has broken in to the UK market yet. How big a star is she? What amazes me about the UK version of The Masked Singer is that they have some really high profile celebrities taking part.

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've not heard of Sasha as I don't think she has broken in to the UK market yet. How big a star is she? What amazes me about the UK version of The Masked Singer is that they have some really high profile celebrities taking part.
Haha, Sasha is a guy :D Usually spelled "Sascha", it's a short form of Alexander. He's been in the music business since 1997 and has released 7 successful studio albums.
A few years ago, he switched from singing in English to German.

This was probably his biggest hit from 1998:

Cassandra Steen, who came 2nd this season, has also been making music since the early 2000s, both as a solo artist and as the frontwoman of "Glashaus".

Thomas Anders, who finished 4th, was one half of 80s pop duo "Modern Talking" who were huge in most parts of Europe (except for the UK, it seems).

Ross Antony (who was born in England) has been in the spotlight since the early 2000s when he was part of the pop group "Bro'Sis". Now he's a well known schlager singer and tv host. Thore Schölermann was once a soap actor, and because of his popular gay storyline he gained an international fanbase. He's now a tv host, presenting "The Voice of Germany" and other shows. Judith Rakers hosts the most watched news on TV, and Olympic swimmer Franziska van Almsick was a media sensation in the 90s.

I think this latest season had the most high-quality celebrities to date.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haha, Sasha is a guy :D
Oops, that was embarrassing for me, lol. He's a good singer, it's a shame he's not more widely known in the UK.

The Mask Singer continues to fascinate me. It's a show I shouldn't really like because it's so crazy but I always find myself compelled to watch it.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Masked Singer is a guilty pleasure of mine as well. It’s not something I would normally watch but for some reason when I start watching it I can’t stop. I find it very fascinating.

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In Germany, season 5 of The Masked Singer started 2 weeks ago.

The 10 contestants are:

Die Chili (The Chili):
-> Unmasked in the 1st show as Jens Riewa, main presenter of Germany's most-watched news program "Tagesschau"

Der Hammerhai (The Hammerhead Shark):
-> Unmasked in the 2nd show as Pierre Littbarski, former professional soccer player and soccer coach who was part of the national team when Germany won the World Championship in 1990

Das Axolotl (The Axolotl):
-> This one has an awful voice o_O

Das Stinktier (The Skunk): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vok579CRtIM

Mülli Müller (Furry Thing in a Trashcan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnZMl5iZTjM

Der Mops (The Pug): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfU_hch0lKY
-> Most likely this is singer Carolin Niemczyk, one half of pop duo "Glasperlenspiel"

Der Teddy (The Teddy Bear): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY4GXzGU0Ao

Der Phönix (The Phoenix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMGosJN1TGs
-> Most likely this is someone sitting in a wheelchair

Die Heldin (The Heroine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwNjYp2WS6Q
-> Most likely this is Austrian singer Christina Stürmer

Die Raupe (The Caterpillar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ZaxDvl90I
-> Most likely this is singer Sandy Mölling, a member of Germany's most successful girl group "No Angels"

Last edited:

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Have the candidates also got worse in terms of singing in other countries? Definitely in Germany. The first few seasons were really good, but good voices are now the exception. TMS is still the most watched show of channel ProSieben, but it only has 55 percent of viewers who watched it in its heyday and those heydays are not so long ago.

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
TMS is still the most watched show of channel ProSieben, but it only has 55 percent of viewers who watched it in its heyday and those heydays are not so long ago.
That's not entirely true.

Season 1 had 3.15 million viewers on average.
Season 2 was the most-watched season with 4.15 million viewers on average, and that's probably because that season aired during the 1st Covid-Lockdown.
Seasons 3 and 4 averaged 3.3 millions, and the premiere of season 5 gained the same numbers.

The season 2 finale was the most-watched episode with 5.34 millions, but the second most-watched episode had 4.3 millions, so that finale was an outlier.

What's more important is the market share in adults aged 14-49, and according to these numbers, season 5 is still on par with the earlier seasons.

Last edited:

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Season 2 was the most-watched season with 4.15 million viewers on average, and that's probably because that season aired during the 1st Covid-Lockdown.
Seasons 3 and 4 averaged 3.3 millions, and the premiere of season 5 gained the same numbers.

The season 2 finale was the most-watched episode with 5.34 millions, but the second most-watched episode had 4.3 millions, so that finale was an outlier.

What's more important is the market share in adults aged 14-49, and according to these numbers, season 5 is still on par with the earlier seasons.
Market share for total viewers for first two shows of season 5 was 11,3% and 10,7%, while in Covid-Season (season 2) worst share was 12,0%, best was 19,1%. In Covid-Season (season) 2 market share in adults aged 14-49: worst share was 24,6%, best was 36,9%, this season so far: 24,1% twice. Last season (4) market shares in adults aged 14-49 for first two shows: 26,7% and 26,1%.

Season premieres in million viewers: S1: 2,19 S2: 3,32 S3: 3,33 S4: 3,55 S5: 2,97
Season premieres in market shares: S1: 9,4% S2: 12,0% S3: 12,5% S4: 12,3% S5: 11,3%
Season premieres in market shares in adults aged 14-49: S1: 20,7% S2: 25,3% S3: 25,9% S4: 26,7% S5:24,1%

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wikipedia has slightly different numbers than your list – probably because their numbers are Live+7 ratings, adding viewers who didn't watch the show live, but at a later point.

Still, I don't see a 45 % drop in viewership as you mentioned earlier, especially not in terms of market share. These are still very good numbers – there's hardly any other show that manages to reach a market share of 20 % among adults 14-49.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Wikipedia has slightly different numbers than your list – probably because their numbers are Live+7 ratings, adding viewers who didn't watch the show live, but at a later point.

Still, I don't see a 45 % drop in viewership as you mentioned earlier, especially not in terms of market share. These are still very good numbers – there's hardly any other show that manages to reach a market share of 20 % among adults 14-49.
Wikipedia lists seasons 1,2 & 4 premieres live ratings, while seasons 3 &5 are live+3, so if there are not all time shifted numbers available you can compare live ratings. By the way, Wikipedia links all ratings to the source.

The 45% drop is obtained by using the rule of three. Use heyday viewership and last show's viewership and you get the result. The drop is actually 47,72% but I rounded it down to 45%.

Like I said before The Masked Singer is still ProSieben's most watched show. It's great but not that uncommon to reach a market share of 20 % among adults 14-49. Here's an overview of shows with more than 20% market share among adults 14-49 within the last seven days:
10/29 RTL aktuell 20,5%
10/27 DFB-Pokal: Borussia Mönchengladbach – FC Bayern München: 26,7%
10/27 Tagesthemen: 22,4%
10/25 RTL aktuell: 20,6%
10/24 Tatort: 26,5%
10/24 Tagesschau: 24,5%
10/23 The Masked Singer: 24,1%
10/23 Tagesschau: 23,3%

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess you consider the show's heyday the season 2 finale, which had an abnormally high audience compared to the rest of the season – which I already mentioned earlier.

In these numbers you listed here
Season premieres in million viewers: S1: 2,19 S2: 3,32 S3: 3,33 S4: 3,55 S5: 2,97
Season premieres in market shares: S1: 9,4% S2: 12,0% S3: 12,5% S4: 12,3% S5: 11,3%
Season premieres in market shares in adults aged 14-49: S1: 20,7% S2: 25,3% S3: 25,9% S4: 26,7% S5:24,1%
I don't see any drop by 45 %.
In my book, 3.32 million (season 2 premiere) to 2.97 (season 5 premiere) million is a drop by 10 %.

Like I said before The Masked Singer is still ProSieben's most watched show. It's great but not that uncommon to reach a market share of 20 % among adults 14-49. Here's an overview of shows with more than 20% market share among adults 14-49 within the last seven days:
10/29 RTL aktuell 20,5%
10/27 DFB-Pokal: Borussia Mönchengladbach – FC Bayern München: 26,7%
10/27 Tagesthemen: 22,4%
10/25 RTL aktuell: 20,6%
10/24 Tatort: 26,5%
10/24 Tagesschau: 24,5%
10/23 The Masked Singer: 24,1%
10/23 Tagesschau: 23,3%

Yeah, and The Masked Singer is the only classic entertainment show among these. The rest are news, sports and a "cult" crime show.

But let's leave it at this, comparing and discussing too many numbers can get frustrating – I'm already looking forward to tonight's show :)

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I guess you consider the show's heyday the season 2 finale, which had an abnormally high audience compared to the rest of the season – which I already mentioned earlier.
Correct, I compared most viewers ever to current viewership, that's the drop I've mentioned. You're right, our discussion is going nowhere. You got your point of view, I got mine. By the way, I was asking if in other countries are less good singers compared to earlier seasons, I didn't intend to go into a ratings discussion. There are a few German ratings forums, so I guess Tellytalk users are not so curious about it.

Last edited: