The Muppet Show - Disney adds warning over negative stereotypes

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i agree it is nice to have us have an actual conversation and not be going after each other that doesn't always happen on sites well on them or off so it is nice when it does indeed happen.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm blessed (or cursed) with the ability to compartmentalise and I agree that the time a work was created can be key and that the art is separate from the artist. I also think there's a certain amount of virtue signalling going on. When the accusations against Michael Jackson resurfaced that last time, at least one radio station here made a big deal of banning him from their lineup, but when things cooled down they quietly started playing him again.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I found this article very interesting. Apparently, PC starting going mad as far back as the fifties. And if it hadn't been for all that woke virtue signalling back in 1973, the Oompa Loompas in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory would still be black pygmies from deepest Africa.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i wonder why he was Pepe Lew Pew was not in it? not that a really care that much but i am curious, my mom said it was prolly because a skunk going after a cat people would have a problem with. though she was joking i can sadly see people think that these days, to add a joke of my own perhaps he stunk too bad?

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I found this article very interesting. Apparently, PC starting going mad as far back as the fifties. And if it hadn't been for all that woke virtue signalling back in 1973, the Oompa Loompas in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory would still be black pygmies from deepest Africa.

But it's not "mad" to provide context to racist stereotypes in literature or to change it to be more acceptable to a modern audience. I had no idea that the Oompa Loompas were originally black pygmy slaves taken from their homes in Africa to work in the Wonka factory but it just goes to show how a minor change can make a classic book less offensive today.

Pepe Le Pew was a sexual predator so is he really someone that we want to take our children to the cinema to watch in 2021?

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But it's not "mad" to provide context to racist stereotypes in literature
Agreed. I was sort of invoking the knee-jerk reaction of "It's PC gone mad!" to suggest that if PC had, indeed, gone mad, it first went mad before most of us were ever born and we're arguably better off as a result. But I didn't say it very clearly!

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
really? you are thinking that? Pepe Le Pew is one of my favorite characters i never considered a sexual predator my own parents well my mom mostly cause my dad worked during the day when i was a kid she worked nites. she grew up with him as well they both did and neither of them have ever considered him a sexual predator at all and if they had any kind of issues than my ass would not be watching it. Animaniacs one of the best cartoons ever freaking made in the 90's had tons and tons of sex jokes that went over the head of kids. and i've never heard any parent at all saying to their kids you can't watch it,

but any parent who lets their kid watch and they think that about Pepe lew pew should tell their kids this is now how you act towards someone to get their attention. all that i thought and ever thought was that it was a skunk who tried to get with another skunk even though she was a cat. nothing ever sexual has ever crossed my mind no matter what age i watch him at, kinda like in Dumbo you had the racist birds and i never saw them as that either and i never thought about it either and it wasn't until i watched it on you tube or saw an article online that it even mentioned it at all.

there's a lot of cartoons from back than that mean something else than they were meant to. look at any looney toons character weather it was a male or female character they go nuts and go after them do you think they are sexual predators too? i don't it's not how you act in real life but let's fact it both men and women can act stupid when they see someone they are attracted to and that's all they were trying to say to make fun of that.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
yep he does, sometimes people way overthink things i know i've done it plenty of times in my life it's just i never met anyone in my life or heard from anyone else who said that they think he's a predator that's all i'm saying

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
really? you are thinking that? Pepe Le Pew is one of my favorite characters i never considered a sexual predator my own parents well my mom mostly cause my dad worked during the day when i was a kid she worked nites. she grew up with him as well they both did and neither of them have ever considered him a sexual predator at all and if they had any kind of issues than my ass would not be watching it. Animaniacs one of the best cartoons ever freaking made in the 90's had tons and tons of sex jokes that went over the head of kids. and i've never heard any parent at all saying to their kids you can't watch it,

but any parent who lets their kid watch and they think that about Pepe lew pew should tell their kids this is now how you act towards someone to get their attention. all that i thought and ever thought was that it was a skunk who tried to get with another skunk even though she was a cat. nothing ever sexual has ever crossed my mind no matter what age i watch him at, kinda like in Dumbo you had the racist birds and i never saw them as that either and i never thought about it either and it wasn't until i watched it on you tube or saw an article online that it even mentioned it at all.

there's a lot of cartoons from back than that mean something else than they were meant to. look at any looney toons character weather it was a male or female character they go nuts and go after them do you think they are sexual predators too? i don't it's not how you act in real life but let's fact it both men and women can act stupid when they see someone they are attracted to and that's all they were trying to say to make fun of that.
Yes, I do agree with the criticism of the character. Pepe Le Pew would regularly force himself on female cats that he didn't previously know. He would jump on them, grab them, forcibly kiss them, resist their attempts to get away, ignore their pleas to be left alone and never accept that no means no. This behaviour might have been an acceptable source of humour 50 years ago but it is out of place today.

I think removing the character from the new film is unnecessary but a change in his behaviour would be appropriate.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree. Taking the character out of the film would be a little drastic as it’s an important character but his actions towards women would have to be changed. Some of the things he did were offensive even by standards back then.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i don't think we even needed space jam 2 at all i mean the 1st one is such a hated film and it was a big flop back than it kinda baffles me why they even made a sequel to a film that is has so much hate towards it. i mean it's on lists of being one of the worst films ever made

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Warners had a whole bunch of cartoons that were basically the same plot, the best known probably being the coyote chasing the road runner, but Sylvester chasing Tweety and Pepe chasing the cats were variations on the same theme.
I think removing the character from the new film is unnecessary but a change in his behaviour would be appropriate.
I believe it was intended that the woman he hit on was going to shut him down and his behaviour called out as unacceptable. The actress who played the part is reportedly disappointed the scene is being cut.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
so if i read that right in each episode he was being called out as being wrong on the way he acted? i haven't seen a pepe lew pew episode in years so i don't remember

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
so if i read that right in each episode he was being called out as being wrong on the way he acted? i haven't seen a pepe lew pew episode in years so i don't remember
No, I was referring to the scene that was planned for the new movie - or at least the reports I've read about it.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
oh okay i was thinking about the old cartoons when i was reading that so it was cut out cause in the scene he was called out on it? did i read that right? if that's the case than why cut it at all? you'd have someone call him out on his actions than why cut it at all?