The mystery of wrestling (a different kind of sports-topic)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Disclaimer: I'm not posting this thread for shock value or to entice distasteful or disrespectful comments.

I guess people can have a "special interest" or fetish for practically anything, and that also includes sports and the people involved with it.
In most cases it's a personal interpretation and therefore only apply to a select few (which could still be hundreds or thousands or millions of people, but the fact that it's impossible to make an estimate kind of supports that very assumption).

But I think it's different when you watch wrestling.
Now, I'm absolutely certain that there's nothing "going on" here but that's not what this topic is about.
Many youtube comments are indeed of the gay content, but even without that it seems virtually impossible to NOT to notice what it looks like.
The straight man won't see it that way, and he certainly won't feel it, but does it really take that much imagination that it could be perceived as male eroticism by (many) other people?

I probably wouldn't have bothered to post this thread if this kind of wrestling was a, say, traditional Swedish sport, but I'd assume that the straight and more conservative Americans would move heaven and earth to shield their unsuspecting audiences from visuals and activities that could result in feelings or interpretations that have nothing to do with the sport itself.
How is it possible that they're so obvlious when it comes to watching this particular sport? Mostly performed by college guys, on top of everything.
Even the hunky swimmer in the tiniest trunks doesn't automatically look in-your-face erotic, but it takes a lot of effort to think absolutely nothing of the suggestive rubbing-bumping-grabbing movements by guys in extremely revealing outfits.

This is not a complaint or rant, they can do whatever they want, I'm only saying that it puzzles me. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Interesting thread! I will admit to watching a lot of wrestling growing up, not really the collegiate version but more of, well, you know, “the fake stuff.” Considering I was such a fan of the “sport” from an early age I guess I never looked at it that way before. I do remember people asking me why I watched it when all it was was a bunch of men prancing around in their underwear. But I guess I saw it differently. I didn’t really see it as men grabbing, grinding, rubbing up against one another, etc or however you want to describe it. To me it was just two guys trying to get the better of one another in a one on one contact “sport.” But I do see ur point as to how it can be construed that way, especially by someone seeing it for the first time.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for the reply @DallasFanForever :jum: I was afraid no one was taking me seriously.

I didn’t really see it as men grabbing, grinding, rubbing up against one another, etc or however you want to describe it. To me it was just two guys trying to get the better of one another in a one on one contact “sport.”
Yeah, I guess it's different if you're very into the sports aspect of it, and maybe it does look different if you're watching it live, I mean being in that room instead of watching the video that captures every curve, irregularity and other body details. I'm sure I don't need to be more specific here.

Let me put it this way: I don't have a problem watching these videos, not at all, but I'd feel a little uncomfortable to watch it with someone else. Because I know that the other person is seeing what I'm seeing.
This coming from a more liberal European point of view, I think that's saying a lot.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Let me put it this way: I don't have a problem watching these videos, not at all, but I'd feel a little uncomfortable to watch it with someone else
When I think about it now, I don’t think it ever felt uncomfortable for me to watch to be honest. I remember watching it with my friends and family and I guess I never really thought about it like that. Again, maybe it’s because I was watching from such a young age but yes I can see how watching that video with someone else could make you feel uncomfortable. Let me put it this way; it would definitely make me more uncomfortable now than it did back then. I guess now we’re obviously more aware of these things than we were back then.