The Prime Time Soaps That Never Happened

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
At first I thought, I don't mind this, it's like a version of Dirty Sexy Money that takes itself seriously. However the more I watched the more dull it became. It's not soapy enough, there isn't enough intrigue or mystery and there isn't anyone with any bite to begin with. All soaps usually get a super bitch, but that doesn't always have to be there from the pilot. However, they do need someone with bite, someone to watch out for. The cast is honestly pretty dreary. The matriarch is basically a non-entity. Not enough happened for this to be a pilot, it just seems like some mid season filler episode.
For it being about he mega rich of New York society, it's also kind of unglamorous. I know that the early 2000s were different from the glam of the 1980s soaps but this just looks boring and dull, everyone looks so.. average. It's not a "style" show, it doesn't feel aspirational. Weirdly Desperate Housewives with it's tales of American suburbia's intrigues seems wildly more glamorous, soapy and aspirational and yet it's about a load of soccer moms in a cul-de-sac in Everywhere America.

Even The OC which came around the same time is wildly more glam and soapy than this.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
At first I thought, I don't mind this, it's like a version of Dirty Sexy Money that takes itself seriously. However the more I watched the more dull it became. It's not soapy enough, there isn't enough intrigue or mystery and there isn't anyone with any bite to begin with. All soaps usually get a super bitch, but that doesn't always have to be there from the pilot. However, they do need someone with bite, someone to watch out for. The cast is honestly pretty dreary. The matriarch is basically a non-entity. Not enough happened for this to be a pilot, it just seems like some mid season filler episode.
I think it would be pretty interesting to see the second version of this pilot - none of the cast carried over to the second version of the pilot, so clearly they didn't see potential in the first pilot's cast. It makes you wonder what other elements ABC asked them to "amp up" in the second take of the pilot.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actually, the second version is seemingly available here. I might watch both back to back later tonight to compare:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
For it being about he mega rich of New York society, it's also kind of unglamorous. I know that the early 2000s were different from the glam of the 1980s soaps but this just looks boring and dull, everyone looks so.. average. It's not a "style" show, it doesn't feel aspirational. Weirdly Desperate Housewives with it's tales of American suburbia's intrigues seems wildly more glamorous, soapy and aspirational and yet it's about a load of soccer moms in a cul-de-sac in Everywhere America.

Even The OC which came around the same time is wildly more glam and soapy than this.

Oh it can´t be so bad. In the 2 minutes I´ve watched there is a song from "Glee" (or wasn´t it from "Glee"?), "Smallville´s" Lois Lane and those pieces of work in real life that are Mr. Langella (before his "cancellation") and Ms. Tippi Hedren (before she got someone to listen to her "Hitch was a beech" stories...). What can go wrong with them?

:spinning::spinning::spinning::coffeelaugh:

Last edited: