• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The Prime Time Soaps That Never Happened

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Additionally, the descripition of Aaron Spelling's Forbidden Island :
"Survivors of a plane crash are stranded on a tropical island, which seems to have mysterious supernatural powers"

It's confusing because IMDB lists it as "season" but only 1 episode. Either way, could it have been the first LOST?

I remember reading reports about this pilot around the same time that Charmed launched. It does sound quite Lost-ish.

There's an ABC series from 1969 called The New People that I've seen Lost being compared to before. Rod Serling was involved in it. I've seen promos for it on YouTube (running alongside promos for Harold Robbins The Survivors that premiered the same season).

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
That's it, that's the whole stupid story. The very idea that this would become an ongoing series fills me with horror, all the horror that this movie is painfully lacking.
Absolutely the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever seen.
But then again you love Frankie Colby.... So no accounting for taste Willie.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I remember reading reports about this pilot around the same time that Charmed launched. It does sound quite Lost-ish.

There's an ABC series from 1969 called The New People that I've seen Lost being compared to before. Rod Serling was involved in it. I've seen promos for it on YouTube (running alongside promos for Harold Robbins The Survivors that premiered the same season).
ABC does seem to be a network that redoes ideas for past shows, successful or not.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But then again you love Frankie Colby
"Love" is a big word, it's more about a different perception, but let's not do this discussion all over again:)
So no accounting for taste Willie
Absolutely. And my comments only reflect my personal thoughts on the movie, not the people who like it.
Maybe I should watch it again, maybe I just dreamt it. Surely it's not humanly possible to produce such godawful dreck? No...no...it can't be!

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So no accounting for taste

I am perplexed when people like awful, dreadful things, but I accept it because there is such a bizarre process through which we end up with our preferences. Like, the current absolute piece of s$it that puzzles me is a show (I won't name) that I am not sure is the worst I have ever seen (it may be), but the way its followers treat it if as if each episode is the equivalent of Veda texts, Confucius, Aristotle, Kant, Nietzsche, and Sartre all at once (and as coherent as such a mix would imply) is what amazes me. Then again, I am sure that many of my colleagues would freak out if they ever found out how much typing and thinking I have done on a decades-dead soap opera.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Like, the current absolute piece of s$it that puzzles me is a show (I won't name) that I am not sure is the worst I have ever seen (it may be), but the way its followers treat it if as if each episode is the equivalent of Veda texts, Confucius, Aristotle, Kant, Nietzsche, and Sartre all at once (and as coherent as such a mix would imply) is what amazes me.

I know Games of Thrones isn't a very good show, but there's no need to be so harsh on it.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Oh Game of Thrones is a FABULOUS soap opera! On a par with the finest of Knots Landing. :)

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But is it GoT, or something else?

No it is not--I have yet to see a forum where its fans discuss it the way I mentioned makes my skin crawl, i.e. as deep meaningful philosophy and ultra-meta narrative. Maybe there are and I am lucky to have not stumbled upon them. GoT is very obviously a fantasy show: it is part escapist adventure, part political intrigue, but overall I don't see its fans take it as more than that. It is a hell of a story, but the discussion about it is as a story. I think even @tommie knew I was not describing that.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
No it is not--I have yet to see a forum where its fans discuss it the way I mentioned makes my skin crawl, i.e. as deep meaningful philosophy and ultra-meta narrative. Maybe there are and I am lucky to have not stumbled upon them. GoT is very obviously a fantasy show: it is part escapist adventure, part political intrigue, but overall I don't see its fans take it as more than that. It is a hell of a story, but the discussion about it is as a story. I think even @tommie knew I was not describing that.
Oh tell us what it is?

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Surely you can't be talking about Breaking Bad??? (gasp!)

EDIT: Oh wait, you said current....ok....forget I said anything.

Last edited:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Last edited:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do you hate it and other people love it, or do you hate it because other people love it?

When I started watching it, it looked like plot garbage posing as high concept TV. But one of the two creators had written some films I really liked alongside some utter gimmicky nonsense that people went gaga over. The other creator I didn't know (though I think she has written a TV show you liked). And then reading weekly analysis both in print reviews and online forums, I thought "I should give it another week, I must be missing something." What I found out I was missing, was a propensity for self-delusion. So if I hate anything, is that I didn't trust my instinct right away and suffered through a season of it. Now I want someone to erase it from my memory.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So if I hate anything, is that I didn't trust my instinct right away
Yes, I know the feeling. Sometimes you desperately want to like something, but it's difficult to outsmart yourself.
I used to watch all the mini-series shown on television but for "reasons unknown" (or so I thought!) I never watched Shogun and War & Remembrance.

I blamed it on my ignorance and a few years ago I decided to rectify my misjudgment.
Foolish, foolish me - and I'll never get those many hours back. Or my money, for that matter.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I know the feeling. Sometimes you desperately want to like something, but it's difficult to outsmart yourself.
I used to watch all the mini-series shown on television but for "reasons unknown" (or so I thought!) I never watched Shogun and War & Remembrance.

I blamed it on my ignorance and a few years ago I decided to rectify my misjudgment.
Foolish, foolish me - and I'll never get those many hours back. Or my money, for that matter.

War and Remembrance I did not like as much as Winds of War. But I enjoyed both very much as books. To be honest, though I have a memory of Shogun as good in my head, I saw it when I was a kid, so I really have no idea if I would like it as an adult. I used to idolize the original Star Trek series as a kid, and when I watched it as an adult I was alternating between crying from laughing at its ridiculousness and crying for my former ridiculous taste.