• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The second Poirot remake is coming

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just makes me want to go watch my parents' copy of the 1978 version.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
French & Saunders and Russell Brand. Is it a comedy?

David Suchet has ruined the idea of anyone else playing Poirot for me, but it looks too slick and American anyway. And that soundtrack was the final nail in the coffin.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The original was starry fun, but awful slow.

I thought John Malkovich gave great Poirot in The ABC Murders a couple of years ago. (But I must admit I've never seen the Suchet version.)

that soundtrack was the final nail in the coffin.

I assumed they just whacked that on there for the trailer. At least I hope so!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
but it looks too slick and American anyway
"slick" is no longer an exclusively American thing, but yeah, it has that typical photoshopped look and it seems that it will be non-stop high-octane entertainment with lots of mood-enhancing poses and slow-motion.
A lot of the acting is replaced with imagery in these type of movies, presumably because it's easier to digest than dialogue.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
(But I must admit I've never seen the Suchet version.)

Would that be Suchet's version of ABC, or Suchet's Poirot in general?

I assumed they just whacked that on there for the trailer. At least I hope so!

I suspect you're right. Wikipedia mentions Patrick Doyle as doing the score, which is a selling point for me.

A lot of the acting is replaced with imagery in these type of movies, presumably because it's easier to digest than dialogue.

I suppose the novel's descriptive text has to be "translated" into visuals, so it makes sense on that level. Though from what I remember, much of Christie's descriptive text - locations and character descriptions aside - is about how the characters feel or how they perceive other characters. Which can all be more effectively achieved through acting than imagery.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
it seems that it will be non-stop high-octane entertainment with lots of mood-enhancing poses and slow-motion.

Well, it's directed by Kenneth Branagh who, old luvvie that he is, is very much an actors' director so I'd be surprised if he skimps on that side of things. He also dirceted a version of Murder on the Orient Express a few years ago.

Would that be Suchet's version of ABC, or Suchet's Poirot in general?

In general, I'm afraid!

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
how broad your TV tastes are
I'm not sure they're that broad really! I tend to watch what I do watch quite obsessively while a whole bunch of other stuff passes me by. Growing up, I developed a semi-irrational aversion to anything too picturesquely period. I think it was because of the queasy-cosy Sunday evening All Creatures Great and Small/Heartbeat slot that I associate with the feeling of back-to-school dread in the pit of my stomach. That's probably why I've also avoided Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey. Yer 80s/90s Poirots and Marples vaguely fitted into that category -- although I've loved the BBC Agatha Christie adaptations written by Sarah Phelps in recent years.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's it comes any where close to being as good as Kenneth Branagh's version of Murder On The Orient Express it will be absolutely awful. That was the worse version of the story that I've seen so I don't have very high expectations for this film.