The showdown, 30 years later.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
When Jacqueline upped sticks from the Valley in 1951 because Jason was drinking heavily accompanied with an anamosity between her and sister-in-law grape loving business woman Angela Gioberti Channing, a showdown was inevitable at some point. We got it circa 30 years later when Jack-wil-en as Angela called her; returned to the wine country to visit her son Chase and family, who are settling into the old Gioberti castle and working Jason's 50 acres of vines. Here is the ultimate showdown, from episode 12:

Jacqueline Perrault is going back home to France, after visiting the wine producing Tuscany Valley for the first time since 1951. Chase, Maggie, Cole and Vicki are with her at the airport, to say cheerio, (a scene from season 1, 1981 - '82):

.........The boarding time to Charles de Gaulle is announced, over the load speaker.

Jacqueline to Chase: "Darling if there is anything I can do. If I could help."

Chase: "That would mean you would have to come back to Falcon Crest and Angela would still be here."

Jacqueline: "Ah but so would you and Maggie. My family."

Mother and son hug.

Jacqueline: "Oh darling!"

Chase: "Bye!"

She blows him a kiss and makes her way to the departure gate.

Maggie: "Jacqueline."

Jacqueline: "Maggie."

They hug and Jacqueline says, "Au revoir!" She blows her final kiss, until the family see her again next season.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
The scenes between Angela and Jacqueline were few but every one was explosive and you always felt that everything they said had an undertone that said something different to what was actually being said..

It's a shame that Jacqueline wasn't a more regular recurring character, just coming in to the series periodically to lob a few grenades into the storyline before disappearing .

Jock Og

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
The scenes between Angela and Jacqueline were few but every one was explosive and you always felt that everything they said had an undertone that said something different to what was actually being said..

It's a shame that Jacqueline wasn't a more regular recurring character, just coming in to the series periodically to lob a few grenades into the storyline before disappearing .
Jacqueline ended up like Jock from DALLAS. Chase's mother provided mystery and a foundation for various plots beyond the grave e.g. Maggie's article; Dr. Ranson showing up, Cartel twists / turns and the shocker of who Richard really was.

Chase and his stepfather Alexander Nicolau are talking about Jacqueline's past and her evil cartel colleague Johann Riebmann, (a scene from season 4, 1984-'85):

Alexander: "I was one of many men, who passed through your mother's life. I was the only one who really loved her. Jacqueline kept her affairs to herself."

Chase: "Surely during ten years of marriage you must have known she was involved with the banking business, for instance."

Alexander: "Yes! In Geneva I believe."

Chase: "The Standard Credit Bank of Switzerland."

Alexander: "Your mother was a fascinating woman; beautiful, intelligent and totally unprincipled. Certain areas of her life would not bear close scrutiny. There were certain dealings that were legitimate no doubt but the Swiss bank was merely a cover. A means of laundering and distributing Cartel profits, which were considerable."

Chase: "How does Johann Riebmann fit into all this?"

Alexander: "He wanted to control all of those profits and was willing to do anything to gain it, anything at all. Even Jacqueline was terrified of him."

The plot thickens!

Arlene Halloran

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
Medals
Wow! The scene outside Chase's mansion must be the number one, between the two warring grandmothers. We learned a lot, in a short space of time.

Gioberti84

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
Medals
Having a real life rivalry between those old Hollywood Golden Oldies added to the friction bubbles, a lot. I think Earl Hamner made the correct decision. The question - whose would burst first.