The Two Faces of Jesse Metcalfe

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So I recently stumbled upon a series on Netflix called Chesapeake Shores. To my surprise I'm really enjoying Jesse's acting in this. Granted the series is not on the same level of drama as Dallas so I'm beginning to believe the underlying issues with his portrayal of Christopher Ewing was both down to writing and directing.

Would you agree?​

K

Karin Schill

I agree that the director and writers play a part. Maybe that's why the episode Patrick directed felt more like Dallas than other episodes that season.

I really enjoyed Jesse on Desperate Housewives. I never had a problem with him as Chris either. But the writing and switching the younger couples around didn't do the show any favors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
so I'm beginning to believe the underlying issues with his portrayal of Christopher Ewing was both down to writing and directing
Both Christopher and John Ross were eager to win, but their motivations and issues were different.
John Ross' overconfidence and the idea that he could simply claim his birthright was a thorn in the side of Christopher who struggled with self-esteem issues for which he tried to compensate with being the righteous cousin.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always though he looked too much like a Ewing (given that he was adopted) but I never had any problem with his portrayal of the part.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always though he looked too much like a Ewing (given that he was adopted) but I never had any problem with his portrayal of the part.
You can say that again

But I always hoped that Christopher was really the son of.....

Untitled.jpg

Christine

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I agree, I blame the writers. I like Jesse in other roles. I thought he was really funny in his 'Two Broke Girls' episode. He was also rather good on Desperate Housewives.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What I hated about Metcalfe's portrayal of Christopher was that he always talked like he was asking a question. I think it's called high rising terminal, and it was annoying as hell.

I'm also not a fan of him as a person, since he constantly bashed the original show and claimed the new show was better in every way. I suppose that's why it lasted 3 years instead of 13.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Jesse was great as Christopher & with no disrespect to Josh Jenderson, Jesse's butt was also far nicer. ;) :)

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I couldn’t stand either of them. They were like pouting underwear models - all eye candy, no substance.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I couldn’t stand either of them. They were like pouting underwear models - all eye candy, no substance.
They were my thoughts upon hearing the casting announcements when TNT Dallas was commissioned. The underlying issues was how the series was written and more so directing. Josh Henderson (John Ross) had me in that infamous kitchen scene with Sue Ellen. It's how I envisioned John Ross. The constant pull between light and dark. His desire to live up to his father's expectations but then proclaiming, "I am not my father!" The opening episode of TNT Dallas showed promise with John Ross out in the fields actually getting his hands dirty - something JR never did - to enjoying his success with the boys at the bar.

Christopher was doing something I thought a 2012 Christopher would be doing, alternative energy. I believed this old (Oil) versus new (Methane Hydrates) approach to energy was a modern story, especially fracking which has caused concerns around the globe. Looking back I believe the writers were throwing everything into the series, too soon. Too many plots, too many characters that didn't belong; it confused and jarred many viewers.

I liked both Jesse and Josh but Jesse appears to have polarized Soapchaters more so. He didn't appear to illustrate layers like Josh could. Perhaps Jesse would have been better suited to playing Christopher more laid back, a little nerd like, instead of his constant battles with John Ross.

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Two faces? That’s a step up from the two emotional registers he appeared confined to on TNTDallas. Meagre acting chops.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really enjoyed Jesse on Desperate Housewives. I never had a problem with him as Chris either. But the writing and switching the younger couples around didn't do the show any favors.

He was good on Desperate Housewives, and on John Tucker Must Die. But I think he can do comedy more than drama; it also did not help that he was on a show with a lot of outstanding young talent (not just Josh Henderson but also Julie Gonzalo, Emma Bell, and Juan Pablo Di Pace for instance). And somehow when he and the stupefying dull Jordana Brewster were on the same scene, it was like a vortex sucking all life out of the screen.

Jabari Lamar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Well, remember, even though he wasn't a "Ewing" by birth, he still was John Ross' biological cousin, through Sue Ellen. So, realistically, there should have been some physical resemblance between those two.

And add me to the list of people who never had a problem with Metcalf as an actor, I just think his character wasn't written as well or as compelling as he could have been (and as John Ross often was).

Christopher was doing something I thought a 2012 Christopher would be doing, alternative energy. I believed this old (Oil) versus new (Methane Hydrates) approach to energy was a modern story, especially fracking which has caused concerns around the globe. Looking back I believe the writers were throwing everything into the series, too soon. Too many plots, too many characters that didn't belong; it confused and jarred many viewers.

Yes, I think the show's main premise should have been John Ross and Christopher running Ewing Oil (possibly renamed Ewing Energies now) together, with competing visions of how the company should move forward, remaining focused on oil or exploring alternative energy sources. Except I would switch their motivations around, with John Ross being the "good" one, who wants to develop clean energy (to make up for all the evil he saw his father do) with Christopher (in his obsession to prove that he's a "real Ewing") being the "bad" one, wanting to be the biggest and best oil-man ever (like his grandpa Jock).

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
even though he wasn't a "Ewing" by birth, he still was John Ross' biological cousin, through Sue Ellen. So, realistically, there should have been some physical resemblance between those two.
That's true enough but he also looked like he was cut from the same cloth as Bobby and JR and Jack.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
That's true enough but he also looked like he was cut from the same cloth as Bobby and JR and Jack.
Like Bobby and Jack, yeah (if you know what I mean...), but not like JR...​

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, remember, even though he wasn't a "Ewing" by birth, he still was John Ross' biological cousin, through Sue Ellen. So, realistically, there should have been some physical resemblance between those two.

And add me to the list of people who never had a problem with Metcalf as an actor, I just think his character wasn't written as well or as compelling as he could have been (and as John Ross often was).

Yes, I think the show's main premise should have been John Ross and Christopher running Ewing Oil (possibly renamed Ewing Energies now) together, with competing visions of how the company should move forward, remaining focused on oil or exploring alternative energy sources. Except I would switch their motivations around, with John Ross being the "good" one, who wants to develop clean energy (to make up for all the evil he saw his father do) with Christopher (in his obsession to prove that he's a "real Ewing") being the "bad" one, wanting to be the biggest and best oil-man ever (like his grandpa Jock).

I would have started by not wiping it more original stories and kept the movies with West Star merged into Ewing Industries (like Koch Industries with the Koch Brothers) and Ewing Oil a subsidiary (back story of how JR took it from Bobby and Sue Ellen but Bobby ended up with a share and the company private 42% each Ewing Brother, 16% the Harwood heir’s). JR as Chairman and retired day to day to a ship in gulf. Bobby running the ranch. Christoper working at Ewing Alternative Energy, another subsidiary. Sue Ellen running the Ewing-Farlow Foundation (explaining where all of Miss Ellie and Clayton’s money went). John Ross off wild catting with Elena.

Then they could have proceeded pretty much as they did. Carmen being Teresa’s sister, Harris being a Wendell running Wendell Trade and Transport, LLC and Judith Brown one of Jeremy’s wives (minus “momma likes”).

Then proceed with their story. John Ross arrives in Dallas to drill, his own man like Jock, Ewing-Ramos Oil and Gas. Start with Miss Ellie’s will reveals she never fully turned over Southfork to Bobby but instead left it under his control. She left it to Bobby to look after for John Ross as her eldest grandson. He received 1/2 on his 30th birthday. Show he inherited money from Clayton too. Show him return to drill on the land.

Get rid of no one knew about Becky being Pamela - that was stupid. Add Christopher really was JRs son to add to the drama. Talk about Charlie was Bobby’s daughter after all and mention so is Lucas, both being raised by Ray.

Add Cliff is mentally sick.

Add when JR dies John Ross gets his shares in Cyberbyte from Jock along with 21% of Ewing Industries. Don’t totally forget James (illigetimate) and Calley’s son with 21%

Much of what they had worked on just with some “respectful” fixes would have worked well.

John Ross with 21% of Ewing Industries, 1/2 the ranch, a friend in “Senator” Brown - Jock like character, a bit of Greg Sumner.

Pamela a marriage of business, each in love with the other from the start but never trusting the other - a Miss Ellie meets Angela Channing meets Abby Ewing Character.

Chris fighting to prove himself and control his patents on his own, a JR like character, his big brother having his back, wanting to live up to him, but falling short, a bit of Richard Channing.

Elena, weak and tossed away by John Ross, a Digger character, latching on to Chris, with a little Rebecca Wentworth tossed in.

Ellie Harwood, JR’s secret family with Holly (not to Holly’s likening), who inherits 16% of Ewing Indusrties from her mother and shows up at the start of season 4 adding 16% to John Ross and Cally’s son’s 42% - control.

These aren’t major changes at all really. Just enough to have made it work.

Jabari Lamar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't think he needed to be J.R.'s biological son. It just makes the entire adoption storyline from the original irrelevant. Plus, just from a character and writing standpoint I think him being adopted is a better motivation for him.