World Cup Tournament The World Cup of 80s Prime Time Soap Characters

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals

Are JR and Abby correct? It's not too late to change the outcome of both matches. Vote for your favourite between Cliff Barnes and Melissa Agretti and between Jeff Colby and Valene Ewing. The poll closes at midnight on Sunday.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
Match 15): Melissa - While Cliff was very important to the gestation of the DALLAS show and then all through the 13 seasons (DVD 14 seasons) I'm voting for my favourite FALCON CREST character. Angela was the supremo and Melissa was forever her rival, even when the Agretti woman was married to Lance. In some ways it was bitter sweet when Melissa got the whole shoot and bang, as season 7 concluded. Nevertheless she deserved the victory. Emma and Maggie looked on in awe.

Match 16): Jeff - Krystle, Sable and Alexis need some male company on the DYNASTY and THE COLBYS side; so my vote goes to Jeff, for this reason. While he wouldn't exactly put you to sleep he wasn't the most charismatic character. Valene on the other hand showed more charisma and engaged better with whoever she had a scene with.

The Channings say farewell to Melissa, who has decided to move back to the Agretti mansion. The sun is shining brightly on the millions of grapes, surrounding the Falcon Crest mansion, (a scene from season 4, 1984 - '85):

Chao-Li is serving breakfast to his sidekick Angela. He wants to top up her tea: "Oh no thank you, Chao-Li!"

Chao-Li: "Is there anything else Mrs. Channing? Excuse me Mrs. Erikson."

Angela smiling: "Chao-Li I have been Angela Channing in the business world for a long time. I'm going back to it in my personal life."

The Chinese gent returns the smile and replies, "Yes Mrs. Channing!"

He then heads off to the kitchen.

Emma and Melissa join Angela, in the dining room.

Angela says to Melissa: "Well! I see you're still determined to go through with this."

Melissa: "Indeed. I'm all packed. Everything is in the car."

Emma then speaks directly to Melissa: "It'll be lonesome about here, without you!"

Angela: "You'll be missed at the family gatherings. It won't be the same without you, Melissa."

Melissa: "Oh I'll always be available for the family gatherings Angela; funerals, shootings, divorces and of course the reading of wills."

Emma looks over at Angela.

Angela: "We will keep you in mind."

Melissa: "I'll be at my father's house. The number hasn't changed."

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
Match 15 - Melissa: as integral as he was to Dallas, I always felt quite indifferent to Cliff. Melissa on the other hand was great fun to watch. She was beautiful, volatile and scandalous.

Match 16 - Valene: this is a tough one because I love both shows but Valene wins it because the Knots characters were written so much better than their Dynasty counterparts. Plus she the centre of one of the greatest soap seasons ever. I could (and will) rewatch season 6 of Knots, time and time again.

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals
The polls have now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. A record NINETEEN people voted in last week's matches and the results are as follows:

Match 15
Cliff Barnes - 11
Melissa Agretti - 8

Match 16
Jeff Colby - 4
Valene Ewing - 15

The winners of the last week's matches are therefore confirmed as:

Thanks to everyone who voted in last week's matches.

That concludes the matches in the first round. Details of the first 2 matches of the second round (The Round of 16) will be posted later today.

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals
Congratulations Valene and Cliff!:)

Also to sum up after round one :
The Colbys still has 1 player
Dynasty still has 2 players.
Falcon Crest still has 4 players.
Dallas still has 4 players.
And
Knots Landing still has 5 players.
Sadly there are no Flamingo Road characters left in the game. :(

Soaps with the most characters left in the competition could find themselves at a disadvantage though because they have an increased chance of being in a match with against another character from the same show, or two matches in a particular week featuring characters from the same soap and only one can be voted for.

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals
So we bid a fond farewell to Melissa Agretti and Jeff Colby as Cliff Barnes and Valene Ewing join the other 14 characters already in the next round. The players board has been updated accordingly:

The draw for Round Two has thrown up some fascinating matches including a real clash of the titans bout.

However, the first 2 matches will be an all female affair between 2 characters best known for being very different kinds of mother and 2 characters best known for being very different kinds of wife. Who am I talking about? Details of the first 2 round 2 matches will be posted shortly.

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals

Match 1: Angela Channing (Falcon Crest) vs Lilimae Clements (Knots Landing)
Match 2: Sable Colby (The Colbys) vs Sue Ellen Ewing (Dallas)

The poll is now open to pick your winner of either or both matches.

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
Gosh! We really are getting into the battles this round. I could easily vote for all 4 on any given day, but I will throw my votes for the two ladies I don't think will win. Plus, both characters I'm choosing should have been in their shows much longer than they were.

Match 1 = Lilimae Clements
Match 2 - Sable Colby

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals
Match 1 - As much as I loved Lilimae, I have to vote for the person I consider to be one of the most fascinating and brilliantly portrayed characters in Soapland. Wicked, ruthless, loyal and funny were just a few of the words you could use to describe her at different times. One word you could never use for her was boring. My vote goes to Angela Channing.

Match 2 - Two totally different characters but both compelling in their own way. Sue Ellen was part of some of my favourite scenes ever in Dallas (taking a drink from a wino on skid row, finding JR in bed with Holly and being called less interesting slut by JR, to name just three). Sable was the best thing in The Colbys but she just can't compete with Sue Ellen for drama and interest so my winner is Sue Ellen Ewing.

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
Knots still has 5 characters competing,
It's an interesting one. Dallas & Dynasty forums are the busiest we have and Knots may just edge it over the Falcon Crest forum with posts, but with FC there seem to be more members active than with Knots.

Yet Knots is doing really well.

So far...

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals
I will throw my votes for the two ladies I don't think will win.
That's a dangerous approach. I never would have guessed that Maggie Gioberti would beat Bobby Ewing or that anyone would beat Miss Ellie after she won the Dallas World Cup. Those we think will win sometimes have a habit of being defeated!