• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

World Cup Tournament The World Cup of Dallas

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My nerves are wrecked. I need a diazepam.

Time for a reality check to calm your nerves. :) J.R. won the real contest when the people in charge of Dallas paid Larry Hagman the most out of everyone acting in Dallas starting relatively early in the show's run because they realized J.R. was the most valuable character in the show and they knew the show couldn't have succeeded at the level it did without J.R. and the way Larry Hagman played J.R.

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
J.R. won the real contest when the people in charge of Dallas paid Larry Hagman the most out of everyone acting in Dallas starting relatively early in the show's run because they realized J.R. was the most valuable character in the show
We should start a new thread based on the idea of, "Who would like to share a table with when playing Poker?" Number 1 on my list would be J.R. Ewing.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1) JR: Sue Ellen was for quite a time the long suffering oil baron’s wife and hubby dearest was a proper b**t**d. He even drove her to drink. However for the majority of people the late great Larry Hagman’s character was the focal point. The Stetson, the one-liners and the laugh were all part of the package.

2) Afton: A magnificent secondary character who will probably be the also ran owing to the youngest Ewing brother, in this contest. As much as Bobby was integral to DALLAS Cliff’s lover was angelic with her voice, she gave birth to Pamela Rebecca, who in years to come would be pivotal in the NEW DALLAS and most importantly Afton was very easy on the eye.

Jock walks into the den at SF and goes over to the drink cabinet, “what are you doing home so early JR?” he asks, (a scene from season 3, DVD-4, 1980 – ‘81):

JR reading a book responds, “Well there is not much for me to do, around the office. I offered Bobby my help but he refused so I just came home.”

Jock taps his oldest son on the shoulder and says, “Hey I got an idea. Why don’t you and I go into Braddock and hit a few of the bars? We haven’t been drinking together, in a long time. Ah. Come on!”

JR says, “Are you buying?”

Jock laughs and replies “who else?”

JR quickly responds, “That’s a good idea dad. I better take my car. I’ll have to drive, when I drink you under the table.”

Jock laughs “now if you would like to make a little wager on that we will get to it.”

JR offers his bet “$5000 be alright?”

Jock heads out of the den “Chicken feed boy. Chicken feed.”

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jock walks into the den at SF and goes over to the drink cabinet, “what are you doing home so early JR?” he asks, (a scene from season 3, DVD-4, 1980 – ‘81):

JR reading a book responds, “Well there is not much for me to do, around the office. I offered Bobby my help but he refused so I just came home.”

Jock taps his oldest son on the shoulder and says, “Hey I got an idea. Why don’t you and I go into Braddock and hit a few of the bars? We haven’t been drinking together, in a long time. Ah. Come on!”

JR says, “Are you buying?”

Jock laughs and replies “who else?”

JR quickly responds, “That’s a good idea dad. I better take my car. I’ll have to drive, when I drink you under the table.”

Jock laughs “now if you would like to make a little wager on that we will get to it.”

JR offers his bet “$5000 be alright?”

Jock heads out of the den “Chicken feed boy. Chicken feed.”

That's a nice piece if Dallas dialogue showing the great affection that JR and Jock had for each other (even though they seemed to be encouraging drunk driving).

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The vote for one of the matches couldn't be closer. It's not too late to vote and your vote could be decisive. The poll closes at midnight today.

Who wins JR vs Sue Ellen and Bobby vs Afton? You decide.

Last edited:

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Come on Sue Ellen. You can finally beat him. Cheering poms poms for you Sue Ellen!!! Your turn to get one up on your infamously naughty husband ;-) lol

Last edited:
LV

Reaction score
Time for a reality check to calm your nerves. :) J.R. won the real contest when the people in charge of Dallas paid Larry Hagman the most out of everyone acting in Dallas starting relatively early in the show's run because they realized J.R. was the most valuable character in the show and they knew the show couldn't have succeeded at the level it did without J.R. and the way Larry Hagman played J.R.
Of course, the people in charge of Dallas had one very important thing in common with J.R. and Larry Hagman: they were all men. A fact which may also explain why both Larry and Patrick were allowed to direct numerous episodes while Linda, on the other hand, was fired for daring to ask to direct just one episode.

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That would be another fun dynamic of this competition/fun game, if JR gets booted out in this round. The likeliness of a woman, Sue Ellen, Pam or Miss Ellie, winning this contest would significantly increase if JR is beaten by his ex wife at this point. The women would rock (other than in the dream season where the ladies really did rock) in this otherwise male dominanted chauvinist. Oops I mean show ;-) funny

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The poll has now closed and the votes have now been counted and verified. Thanks @SueEllenRules! for slipping your vote in 7 minutes before the deadline.

The results to matches 3 and 4 are as follows:

Match 3
J. R. Ewing - 7
Sue Ellen Ewing - 8

Match 4
Bobby Ewing - 11
Afton Cooper 4

The following characters therefore won their matches and go through to the quarter finals:

Thanks to everyone who voted in this round. Details of the next 2 matches will be posted later today.

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs

You were saying @Kenny Coyote ???

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: GO ON MY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I've just wet myself and am screaming out loud!)

And as I simply cannot stand Afton, thrilled for Bobby!!!!

GO ON SUE ELLEN!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOW!

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: GO ON MY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as I simply cannot stand Afton, thrilled for Bobby!!!!

GO ON SUE ELLEN!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOW!

J.R. going out this early is a shock result for many and I'm a little bit disappointed at the result. However, Sue Ellen always had a large following on this forum so it's not entirely surprising. But who will she be up against in the quarter finals?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
J.R. going out this early is a shock result for many and I'm a little bit disappointed at the result. However, Sue Ellen always had a large following on this forum so it's not entirely surprising. But who will she be up against in the quarter finals?

I was bracing myself. Absolutely thrilled and not disappointed at all. She always had a mean right hook! :) Oooo who knows! Bring it on, all very exciting!!!! :elvis:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was bracing myself. Absolutely thrilled and not disappointed at all.

@Sarah, I knew you wouldn't be disappointed.

I like Sue Ellen so I'm not as disappointed as I was when Arsenal was knocked out of the FA Cup recently.

The following 12 characters still remain in the competition... for now.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Have to admit it is kinda odd seeing a cross through JR's face - but I DON'T CAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE hahahahaha:D

K

Karin Schill

The poll has now closed and the votes have now been counted and verified. Thanks @SueEllenRules! for slipping your vote in 7 minutes before the deadline.

The results to matches 3 and 4 are as follows:

Match 3
J. R. Ewing - 6
Sue Ellen Ewing - 8

Match 4
Bobby Ewing - 10
Afton Cooper 4

The following characters therefore won their matches and go through to the quarter finals:

Thanks to everyone who voted in this round. Details of the next 2 matches will be posted later today.

@Angela Channing would you mind re-counting the JR and Sue Ellen votes?
The reason I am asking is because I counted them last night to see how close it was and got that it was a tie before @SueEllenRules! cast the final vote.
So I am thinking it should be JR 7 votes. Sue Ellen 8 votes.

It's a bit surprising to see JR be crossed out of the game this early on. Especially considering that he won the Dallas top ten "favorite character vote" just a couple of months ago. But maybe a lot of posters did like I did and refrained from voting because we couldn't chose between JR & Sue Ellen...

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
J.R. going out this early is a shock result for many

Yes. But it also significantly raises the stakes for the entire game. This is like Janet Leigh checking out of Psycho in the first act. Or Drew Barrymore in Scream. And two-thirds of the Game Of Thrones cast.

Anyone - no matter how popular or important - can face the axe. So we can't take anything for granted.

Things just got really exciting!!