Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I wasn't complaining about JR so much as pointing out that he went bonkers after Sue Ellen left.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The result

To be continued.

The final votes were:

Ellie Ewing Farlow - 10
Bobby Ewing - 5

There were no 'secret' ballot votes. The winner of the 2018 World Cup of Dallas is therefore confirmed as follows:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Congratulations Miss Ellie, very pleased at the result and it is very well deserved.

I'd also like to thank you @Angela Channing for a fabulous contest and for working so hard to put it all together. It's been so much fun and I hope we can do something like it in the future!

:ping::ping::ping::ping::ping:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Do you need any for the day after?"

I thought that was just the sort of thing that Angela would have said in that wonderful deadpan delivery that Jane Wyman did so well.

I'd also like to thank you @Angela Channing for a fabulous contest and for working so hard to put it all together. It's been so much fun

It's been fun for me too. I've loved how some people took the game really seriously and some of the exchanges about the characters became quite heated at times. Dallas fans are still passionate about the show 40 years after it was originally broadcast.

I hope we can do something like it in the future!

Because the matches were randomly generated, we could run another World Cup of Dallas another year, (maybe with 32 characters next time?) and get a completely different outcome. However, I think I'll do one based around another soap first.

I really thought JR, Sue Ellen or Pamela would win the World Cup since they have the biggest fanbase, so overall I think this is a nice surprise.

I would have put money on Sue Ellen winning, even though I wanted JR to be victorious, because she generates so much discussion on the forum. There were quite a few surprises in the individual battles
Yes thank you very much indeed @Angela Channing. That’s taken so much of your time. Much appreciated. It’s been fun thanks to your amazing effort :)

It's been a pleasure because so many people participated in the votes it made it all worthwhile.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Momma / Miss Ellie and the only Miss Ellie is overcome with emotion with her win over youngest son Bobby - (but agrees he was annoying on TNT lol)

A small part but a mighty actress who breathed a life, heart and soul into the character she played and made you care

GO MOMMA!!

thanks to @Angela Channing for a great competition and still in shock that Larry / JR was voted out so early on

K

Karin Schill

Thank you @Angela Channing for arranging this game for us. It's been fun. :)
I look forward to see where the world cup ends up next and cross my fingers for Dynasty or Knots Landing... ;)

A small part but a mighty actress who breathed a life, heart and soul into the character she played and made you care

GO MOMMA!!

Hear, hear, except for one thing. I don't think she had a small part. She was a leading character on the show and was a part of the opening credits. I do think Dallas was an ensemble show and every single character that was in the opening credits contributed something unique to the show that made it into the success it was.

May I ask Karin how that came about?

Of course. I think I have explained that before but in case you have missed it or forgotten about it, I'll go into it again.
The reason I watched the final four seasons of Dallas first is because of my age and nationality. I am Swedish and in Sweden Dallas first came on TV in January 1981. At that time I was only 10 months old so naturally I didn't watch it. My parents did however so Dallas is the first TV theme song I ever learnt to recognize. I remember asking my parents to let me watch the show with them when I was a young child but I always got the same reply which was "no it's not a children's show".

In Sweden we don't dub the voices of foreign TV shows. Instead we have the original language and subtitles. So since my mother tongue is Swedish and I only began to learn English at the age of 10 (except for a few words earlier on) I couldn't understand the show unless someone read the subtitles to me. I learnt to read when I was 7. But it took me years before I could read fast enough to read the whole subtitle before it was changed.

Anyway I watched my first Dallas episode at a friend's house when I was about 9. It must have been season 8 (DVD) since my friend was waiting for Bobby and Pam to get back together again. However I didn't understand much of the show and wasn't hooked until 1 ½ years later when my mom was watching the season finale of Dallas at the breakfast table and I watched a little with her when I suddenly saw this beautiful woman drive into a truck and her car caught fire. That moment hooked me since I wanted to find out if she would survive. I wanted her to survive. So I asked my parents if I could watch the next episode with them later that night, at the time I was 11, so they said yes and I was so happy that I was finally allowed to watch the grown up show that my parents watched! :D

By the time I knew that Pam would survive I had gotten hooked on the show so I kept watching and within a year it was my favorite TV-series that I couldn't miss. I was glued to the TV set every Saturday night and I used to discuss the show with a friend at school on mondays.

As I child I was puzzled about why Pam left. I couldn't understand how she could abandoned her son and according to an old diary entry I thought that she had sent Lisa Alden to keep an eye on Christopher and Bobby for her!

Anyway I kept up with the show until the very end, which came in December, 1993 here in Sweden. Then on March 8th, 1994 another TV channel here in Sweden began broadcasting the show from the very beginning in reruns that went monday-friday with a break for summer until January 1996 when they had broadcast it all and the show went off the air. So that's why I watched the final four seasons of the show first! :)

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So that's why I watched the final four seasons of the show first!

What an interesting perspective you have on the later seasons. It really must puzzle you then why so many here on soapchat raise questions about the quality of those last seasons as opposed to the early years. Since my personal Dallas DVD Collection finishes at "Swan Song" I never had the desire to seek out the remaining seasons because I know how tragic Dallas becomes. But I'm going to investigate Amazon at the end of this month and see what they are offering in terms of Dallas being re-released. I hope Warner Bros. have their international customers in mind. Since Lorimar Dallas was never repeated on Australian Television I have never had the luxury of watching those last years since they first aired all those years ago. I'm hoping to complete my Lorimar Dallas, excluding the reunion movies, so I can watch the entire series again.

Thanks for the post :)

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Ooh...
View attachment 10393
I'm afraid I don't remember much of it:confuse:only a handful of characters.

I bought so many German magazines in the 1980s as they were so good for Dallas pics and photos/interviews and there was one that they used to compare to Dallas
I used to call it Black Forest gateau - but i think it was clinic , or am i dreaming it?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
but i think it was clinic , or am i dreaming it?
You're right, it was a klinik.
I've watched many episodes (maybe all of them) but it wasn't a continuing story like Dallas. It was more like HOTEL meets FLYING DOCTORS.

We even had a joke about the Schwarzwalder Kirsch torte, we called it Schwarzwald Klinik torte:lol:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
a mighty actress who breathed a life, heart and soul into the character
I've said it before but I believe it's worth repeating. When actors come from that era of learning your craft but importantly do theatre work it seems to have a positive effect when creating a character for television. It's hard to explain but there is depth in what we're watching.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've said it before but I believe it's worth repeating. When actors come from that era of learning your craft but importantly do theatre work it seems to have a positive effect when creating a character for television. It's hard to explain but there is depth in what we're watching.

You make a good point. The same could be said for Alexis Smith who was wonderful as Lady Jessica Montford, especially during her first stint on the show.

K

Karin Schill

I remember my parents used to watch that German klinik show, but I never watched it.

What an interesting perspective you have on the later seasons. It really must puzzle you then why so many here on soapchat raise questions about the quality of those last seasons as opposed to the early years. Since my personal Dallas DVD Collection finishes at "Swan Song" I never had the desire to seek out the remaining seasons because I know how tragic Dallas becomes. But I'm going to investigate Amazon at the end of this month and see what they are offering in terms of Dallas being re-released. I hope Warner Bros. have their international customers in mind. Since Lorimar Dallas was never repeated on Australian Television I have never had the luxury of watching those last years since they first aired all those years ago. I'm hoping to complete my Lorimar Dallas, excluding the reunion movies, so I can watch the entire series again.

Thanks for the post :)

You're welcome Rove. Well having watched the whole show twice through and the end four times I do understand why people say that the final years of the show is not the same as in the beginning. I love those years since I watched them first. However I must admit that the final season of Dallas doesn't really have the same standard as the void of Miss Ellie, Clayton and Lucy is really noticable. Also I hated how they killed off April on her honeymoon and then had Bobby spend the rest of the season mourning for her. :(

So the final season was not that good, I can agree on that. However once you've watched Dallas TNT without JR that final season starts to look better if you compare them! :eck:

Also I can totally recommend you to complete your Dallas DVD collection and watch season 9-14 (DVD) of the show again. I think you will realize that it's better than you remembered. ;)
However I would also suggest getting the first reunion movie "JR Returns" as it was really great. You know if the Julia character had been Pam (which I suspect she was in the first draft of the script!) that movie would have been a good ending to the show...

K

Karin Schill

Nope I'm dead serious. I mean have you watched season 14 (DVD) after watching Dallas TNT season three?
IMHO the original Dallas Season 14 was better! :D