• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Titans

K

Karin Schill

Thank you. I'll read that later once I've finished watching the show as I don't want to spoil it.

I am watching episode 9 right now and Victoria as Gwen just had the best line. I have to quote it here as it made me laugh out loud. It's funnier now than 17 years ago. :laughs:

So this is what she said:

"Right then and there I decided that I no longer play the victim, the jilted wife, the subject of whispers and gossip. I determined that if my husband couldn't see my value then damn it the rest of the world would. I rebuilt this hotel the same way that I rebuilt Gwen Williams brick by brick and not you or Donald Trump or some French tramp named Margo deprie is ever going to take that away from me. Not Ever!"

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you. I'll read that later once I've finished watching the show as I don't want to spoil it.

I am watching episode 9 right now and Victoria as Gwen just had the best line. I have to quote it here as it made me laugh out loud. It's funnier now than 17 years ago. :laughs:

So this is what she said:

"Right then and there I decided that I no longer play the victim, the jilted wife, the subject of whispers and gossip. I determined that if my husband couldn't see my value then damn it the rest of the world would. I rebuilt this hotel the same way that I rebuilt Gwen Williams brick by brick and not you or Donald Trump or some French tramp named Margo deprie is ever going to take that away from me. Not Ever!"

The Donald seems to have been on the writer's minds quite a bit. He's alluded to here as well and I remember some of the reviews comparing the family to the Trump's.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hmm, they preferred Jaclyn Smith over Victoria...Why not have them both playing sisters? (I´d have killed for seeing that!!)

Victoria had just come off a guest stint on NBC's Providence and they were impressed by what they saw, so they wanted her on Titans.

A fan site (possibly Ultimate Dallas) started a rumour that Joan Collins was going to reprise her role of Alexis on the show. The rumour was picked up and reported in a number of media outlets but there was no truth to it. Another casting rumour was Donna Mills as Richard and Jack's sister. I'm not sure if this was a fan rumour or something that was actually discussed but it never came to fruition.

K

Karin Schill

Interesting pilot clip it gave a bit more backstory on Gwen and Richard and how long they had been divorced.
Also a totally different Samantha.

You know I don't have a clue who Jaclyn Smith is so if they had cast her instead of Victoria I wouldn't be watching this now as I'm only watching it to see VP. :)

I watched episode 11 last night as ten was without sound. So two more to go!

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Interesting pilot clip it gave a bit more backstory on Gwen and Richard and how long they had been divorced.

You know I don't have a clue who Jaclyn Smith is so if they had cast her instead of Victoria I wouldn't be watching this now as I'm only watching it to see VP. :)

I watched episode 11 last night as ten was without sound. So two more to go!

Yeah, poor Priscilla Garita was ditched when first choice Lourdes Benedicto became available again. I liked Priscilla on Sunset Beach but Titans was already overloaded with soap stars so the relatively unknown (to me) Lourdes was a welcome addition.

In the original synopsis for Titans, both Samantha and her mother Delia (I think) would appear onscreen, with her mother being the Williams' maid. Also the Williams family were originally called the Davis family and Peter was called Mason. Just a few random bits of trivia for you.

Just to pre-warn you, I think there's sound with no picture for a few minutes in the final episode but everything returns to normal for the final cliffhanger!

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

:eck::eck::eck::eck::eck::eck::eck: :byee:

Karin, we must talk about this, seriously. We REALLY must talk about this...

SHE is Jaclyn Smith!!!! :danc::spinning::danc:

K

Karin Schill

I don't recognize her. But I did check out her IMDB profile and it seems like she's most famous for Charlie's Angels. But well since I've only seen one episode of that show, because Patrick guest starred in it, I'm not surprised I don't recognize Jaclyn Smith!

MarkSinacori

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was right after 90210 ended on FOX! It should have gotten a full season! Hated how it got cancelled after 11 episodes and the last 2 are awful that aired over seas!

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was right after 90210 ended on FOX! It should have gotten a full season! Hated how it got cancelled after 11 episodes and the last 2 are awful that aired over seas!

It probably should've aired on FOX to begin with. It certainly felt like more of a "FOX" show. As it happened, Titans premiered in the same season as The $treet, which was FOX's attempt to fill the Melrose / 90210 soap gap in the schedule. It was created by Darren Star and Jennie Garth even popped up in it. It failed miserably too and was pulled off the air even faster than Titans.

K

Karin Schill

Okay so I've finished watching this show. :)
Or well I've seen everything except episode 5 and 10 that was soundless.

Over all I really enjoyed watching this show and it's a shame it didn't run longer. I think if they had done it slightly differently, (not killed off a certain character and broadcast it on a smaller network like FOX,) it could have had a real chance even if the format is somewhat dated and more in style with a show you'd watch in the 90's than in the new millenium.

It was great to watch VP act again. :)
Watching this makes me sad she gave up her acting career after the show flopped. I think they focused too much on the Chandler-Heather plot and sidelined Gwen. It was a mistake.

Also I liked the second theme music better. The one they originally had gave a very trashy impression.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Okay so I've finished watching this show. :)
Or well I've seen everything except episode 5 and 10 that was soundless.

Over all I really enjoyed watching this show and it's a shame it didn't run longer. I think if they had done it slightly differently, (not killed off a certain character and broadcast it on a smaller network like FOX,) it could have had a real chance even if the format is somewhat dated and more in style with a show you'd watch in the 90's than in the new millenium.

It was great to watch VP act again. :)
Watching this makes me sad she gave up her acting career after the show flopped. I think they focused too much on the Chandler-Heather plot and sidelined Gwen. It was a mistake.

Also I liked the second theme music better. The one they originally had gave a very trashy impression.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Karin. I must agree that the show was quite dated for a show of it's time. When you think that a year later, FOX would bring us the criminally short lived Pasadena, which was truly a soap for the 00's. It was so slick, well cast and well written, when you compare the two, Titans looks like a poor daytime soap.

I do agree too that episode five was the turning point when the show went the wrong way. Had it kept on the original track, there was so much drama to be mined but by removing that arc, everyone was kind of adrift. Similar to how Empire messed up their main plotline by removing the original premise by the end of season one.

I have to say, I really like the original theme by Sneaker Pimps. Probably because it'd been doing the rounds on UK radio for a number of years before Titans used it. It felt edgy whereas the second theme didn't mean a great deal to me.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But most likely it was since Tommie's seen it...

To my knowledge - it wasn't broadcast in Sweden, which is weird since all other Aaron Spelling soaps were! Even the weird Seventh Heaven/Soap hybrid Summerland. However, I was personally so desperate that I bought some VHS tapes of it and watched crappy RealPlay (remember that program?) of it. I do recall that a channel here had it bought in but in the end they didn't broadcast it - ouch!

Well, at least Pasadena was broadcast on Sundays after Prisoner Cell Block H reruns!

K

Karin Schill

Thanks for explaining that Tommie. Ouch too bad it wasn't broadcast here. :(
It would totally explain why I didn't watch it. Even if my interest in Dallas was at a low during this time period (I was well into my Buffy phase then) I did think it was a bit odd that I would completely have ignored a TV-show with Victoria Principal, as I have seen several of her movies that were broadcast here.

Thank again Carrie Fairchild for sharing this show with us. It gave me a chance to watch it. :)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
TITANS: Titanic Flop Or Genuine Tribute To The 80s Soaps?

Actually I had planned to start with THE YELLOW ROSE today, but last night when I smoked my last cigarette before I went to bed, I decided to take a peek at Titans, after all I had a few minutes to kill.
Before I knew it I had finished the first episode.

upload_2017-6-9_23-50-46.png

My first impression was that they were trying very hard to make it look like a glamour soap, which gave me the funny idea that this was a story about a group of actors playing soap characters.
There's also no sense of "time", it could be 1988 or 1995 or 2000.

The mansion, very lovely:
upload_2017-6-10_0-13-49.png

I'm wary of using descriptions like cliché and corny, because there'll always be peculiar characters on shows about dysfunctional families.
It would be very boring without the evil sons, drunken wives and whatnot.
TITANS has them too, but it's different from what I've seen before.

All family members (including the ex-wife) are on the board of the family company, which is very convenient because they're either in the house or in the office.
upload_2017-6-10_0-30-44.png

Somehow this reminds me of Harper Worldwide from PAPER DOLLS.
The company's most important part is the production of jet planes, and since the show started with scenes from the navy, I even thought this was going to be an updated EMERALD POINT N.A.S.

Navy pilot Chandler Williams has a romantic romance with Heather Lane in Hawaii, but apparently he's more serious about it than she is.
When he returns home without her, his father introduces him to his new stepmother-to-be: Heather Lane! (surprise #1).
Heather chooses Chandler as the man to walk her to the altar, and then she tells him she's pregnant - with his child! (surprise #2).
upload_2017-6-10_0-56-25.png

Heather may be the show's gold digger, but she does sign the prenuptial agreement, it is her future husband who tears up the document.
It doesn't take long before we find out that she still desires her ex-lover Chandler, now her stepson. (surprise #3).

Chandler appears to be the goody two shoes son who will do anything to protect his father's happiness, even if that means he has to accept his ex-lover as his stepmother.
His stepbrother (Chandler is adopted) is the business man, very pragmatic and not too concerned about family sentiments. The Company First guy.
He's the one who's doing the insults and has the wine thrown in his face, but he doesn't take it too seriously. Sort of an Adam Carrington-lite.
I know he's not popular on these forums, but I actually like John Barrowman in this role. Come to think of it, I even liked him more on CPW.
So, the bitchfest is not between stepmother and stepdaughter, but stepmother and stepson. Shades of Karen Walker & Jack McFarland.

Gone are the days that long-lost/long-forgotten family members return from the death or plot their ways back into the family.
Ex-wife Gwen Williams gets her abandoned nephew delivered at her doorstep by UPS.
"He's yours now. Bye!"
upload_2017-6-10_1-30-52.png

Move over Michael Fairgate.

Chandler is falling in love with the maid's daughter (she grew up with the Williams brothers and sisters) and Heather doesn't like that at all.
She tries to seduce him, is he going to kiss her back? He really really really shouldn't....
upload_2017-6-10_1-36-3.png

...but he does it anyway. I thought that was a bit corny.

Based on these first 3 episodes, I think it looks nice, but sometimes painfully lighthearted for a 2000 soap.
However, if this was supposed to be a satire, then it would have been one of the best things I've ever seen.
Because (imo), a good satire is a) never too funny, and b) as close to the original thing as possible.

Either way, I want to know what's going to happen next, so they must be doing something right.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There's also no sense of "time", it could be 1988 or 1995 or 2000.
They sort of fixed that by using The Corrs' song "Breathless" in episode four's opening sequence. Suddenly it seems so old.

I still haven't figured out what Heather Lane is all about. For a scheming gold digger she's behaving pretty reckless and cocky - and she makes it very easy for everyone to dislike her.
She has no idea how she's going to handle the pregnancy, and she'd love to revive the romance with her lover from Hawaii, Chandler.

Her biggest enemy Peter is still trying to court Samantha (who's in love with Chandler) and tells her that he has changed.
It's funny that so many soap characters think that, just because they "have changed", everything and everyone else will change too. As if those magic words would open Aladdin's cave where all the treasure is hidden.

Chandler decides that he can't live with the lies anymore and tells Heather that she has to tell Richard, or else he will.
She decides to outfox Chandler and asks Richard if he's ready to start a family with her. He says "not yet!", which only complicates the situation because now she can't pull the surprise-pregnancy-stunt anymore. And that's what she should have done before she asked him, instead of telling Chandler that he's the father.

Episode 5 has no sound, but I decided not to skip it. This was my first Silent Soap experience, and after 20 minutes or so I almost got used to it. I even forgot to take off my headphones, silly me.
A few intertitles would have been nice though.
upload_2017-6-10_22-45-25.png

Somehow, Peter stumbles upon a surveillance tape from the Hawaiian hotel where Chandler and Hearther stayed during their romance.
upload_2017-6-10_22-48-15.png

He confronts her with the tape and forces her to sign something but I don't know what it was. But it wasn't relevant in the next episode..??
Anyway, because of this evidence, combined with the inconvenient pregnancy, it looks like Heather Lane's game is over. If there was a game to begin with.
But then...
upload_2017-6-10_22-54-6.png

...a very convenient soap tragedy strikes, as the person who should definitely not know what's going on around him dies.

The first half of the sixth episode is all about the funeral and memories etc and I found it surprisingly touching, considering that I haven't seen many episodes and I haven't decided yet whether I should care for these characters or not.
But perhaps that's the magic of soap: once you're in, you're in.
The Williams brothers both make a little speech at their father's funeral. Chandler's speech was too pompous for my taste.
I don't like to say negative things about the actors but, apart from being incredibly handsome, Casper van Dien doesn't have screen presence.
I'm sure he loves to act, but it's just not there, no matter how hard I look for it.
Peter's emotional speech was far more effective since he appeared rather untouched about his father's death in the scenes before the funeral.
upload_2017-6-10_23-14-13.png

Peter learns that Richard's will was updated 6 months before the wedding. He tells Heather that, if she tries to contest the will, the tape will prove that she's a fraud.
But...that surveillance tape dates from a period before the wedding, she was still a single woman back then.
:think:
Anyway, he sends her packing, with a cheque for one million dollars. But just when she's about to leave the house - "Lucille, could you open the door for me?"/"Do it yourself, madam!" - another lawyer shows up with a newly updated version of the will.
Gosh, I actually cheered for Heather Lane!

So, she does inherit an equal share in the company AND she can stay in the house.
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
The interesting part is that these characters, who have a reason to dislike eachother, now hate eachother for the wrong reasons.
Gwen wrongfully blames Heather for Richard's death - and she's going to destroy! her, and then Heather tells Gwen that she's pregnant with Richard's child!
I like it when things get a little messy, because that makes it less predictable.
At this point, nobody seems to be sure of his/her position in this family war.

K

Karin Schill

Thanks for the review. I skipped episode five due to the no sound!

Personally I think they made a mistake in killing off Richard as it ruined/changed the family dynamics but that's just me.

I'll look forward to hear what you think of the rest...

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
At this point, nobody seems to be sure of his/her position in this family war.
But with Uncle Jack at the helm, everyone's forced to accept the situation as it is and focus on the business, life goes on etc.
Jack is being approached by a rich man who's interested in buying Williams Global Enterprises.
upload_2017-6-11_11-1-38.png

I didn't think they would do this unless there was some significance to it, so I assumed this was one of those not-taking-no-for-an-answer-offers - in other words, the introduction of TITANS' version of The Cartel/Group/Organization.
Jack thinks it's a good idea, Gwen disagrees and says that they should vote (smart thinking!) and the rest of the family is in favour of not selling the company. And that's that.

The only person who can stop all the stepmother drama is Chandler, but he keeps lying when he tells his mother that the baby is definitely Richard's.
The logical explanation would be that, if Heather loses her position in the family, she'd be forced to leave - with his baby.
But they're not hinting at that, or anything else for that matter.
upload_2017-6-11_11-25-23.png

Chandler finds one of Richard's old aviation projects and thinks it has potential. But he also thinks "it's never going to work!" and storms out of the room.
Heather starts to lobby for this project at WGE and this becomes a doing-you-a-favour plotline.
However she pretends that she's doing it to honour the memory of her late husband, and Uncle Jack agrees that it is important to carry on the legacy eventhough he had planned to sell that legacy just 20 minutes ago.

Unlike most other soaps, the board meetings are not about what company or oil field should be aquired in order to strengthen the company.
The titans have to decide which division gets the capital injection for development, marketing etc.
And since they all represent a different division, it's not very difficult to create disagreement.
upload_2017-6-11_11-59-33.png

Or a boardroom brawl!:dance: (although I think this had something to do with Heather).

The Williams sisters run the trendy PULSE nightclub, and one of the sisters (Jenny) is an alcoholic who's dating an employee (who happens to be an ex-alcoholic) but the employee (David) is also interested in the other sister (Laurie).
Laurie also has feelings for David, but she's always been very concerned for her sister's well-being, since Jenny is emotionally unstable and struggling with alcohol.
Therefore she has to sacrifice her own happiness.
This is a familiar storyline, but it's not nearly as bad as it could have been. Both actresses (Josie Davis and Elizabeth Bogush) handle the dramatic scenes very well, and at this point (episode 10) I'm tempted to say that this is the best-written part of TITANS, albeit not the most interesting. It's such a juxtaposition.
Uncle Jack thinks it's time that Jenny visits a clinic in order to deal with her alcohol & drugs addiction.
upload_2017-6-11_12-24-53.png
:D

There's also a dramatic staircase moment.
upload_2017-6-11_12-36-41.png

Long story short, Heather has a miscarriage.

There's a catfight too.
upload_2017-6-11_12-32-10.png

And also a drunken person who tumbles over, hits her head and falls into the swimming pool.
upload_2017-6-11_12-35-7.png

So, it does look like they're paying homage to the 80s prime time soaps, and that particular aspect has improved from episode 6 onwards.
It's also getting a bit juicier when Chandler calls Heather "a whore!, a sick, perverted whore!"

At the same time, it's the schizophrenic tone that absolutely kills this show.
These 4 episodes had more mood swings and character transplants than 14 seasons of Valene Ewing.

Sometimes we see Heather feeling miserable and crying, 2 minutes later she's the bitchy vixen again.
Same with Peter, in just a few sequences he transforms from good to evil, and then from evil to campy frenemy and then back to sincere (but I think he's a psychopath now?).
There are no consequences to what they say or do, there's no sense of motive or aspiration - it's absolutely insane.

I'm not saying that these characters have to be predictable or that I have to like them, but at least I have to understand them.
THE COLBYS is a good example of how to challenge the characters (and to some extent, the actors too, I suppose) and it was the frustration that made it such a gripping soap.
But TITANS is frustrating for all the wrong reasons, and because of this incoherent and incomprehensible tone I find it impossible to care for any of these characters or plotlines.
Well, except for the sisters but that's just a sub-plot.

I've had a few moments of fun, but right now I'm not sure if I'll continue with the last 4 episodes.

I'm very grateful for all the uploads since I've never had a chance to see this show on TV.:hat:

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've had a few moments of fun, but right now I'm not sure if I'll continue with the last 4 episodes.
You should watch them. Ironically, the last two episodes – which were not even broadcast in the US because NBC cancelled the show after episode 11 – were the best.

If the show had continued, they should have ditched half of the main cast (Heather, Chandler, Ethan, Scott) while establishing some rivals for Gwen and Jack and exploring more of the glamorous world of Beverly Hills. With 80% of the scenes taking place at the Williams mansion or at their family business, the show felt very claustrophobic.