Titans

MarkSinacori

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This show was like Pacific Palisades in 1997, North Shore in 2004 and Cane in 2007. All were trying to be nighttime dramas that got cancelled. It was sad. But Titans was my favorite of the 4 that were cancelled after a single season.

Problem with this show was the promos. They revealed EVERY MAJOR EPISODE ENDER in them for the following episode!

The last 2 episodes were bad. Episode 11 could have wrapped the series up after Jenny survived the pool fall. However, the show was cancelled and the last 2 didn't air in the USA. They were mostly about someone stalking Heather on the phone. Made no sense!

I would have had a big finale with lots of suspense, not just Peter proposing to Samantha when his ex shows up and says they know of each other and Heather still being stalked. Not a good ending!

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Problem with this show was the promos. They revealed EVERY MAJOR EPISODE ENDER in them for the following episode!

Actually if you go back and watch old Melrose and 90210 promos they pretty much did this. I'm more surprised that people back then didn't get more pissed off about it.

I think there's a fair amount of promos available for both shows on http://vidiot.com

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This show was like Pacific Palisades in 1997, North Shore in 2004 and Cane in 2007. All were trying to be nighttime dramas that got cancelled. It was sad. But Titans was my favorite of the 4 that were cancelled after a single season.

I haven't seen Cane but I agree with you putting Titans alongside Pacific Palisades and North Shore. They were basically shows that didn't seem to know what they wanted to be and were a mess on arrival. They never felt like strong shows and their premises were always a bit wishy washy and changeable. Looking at other short-lived soaps like Savannah and Central Park West, they had their faults but at least they knew what they wanted to be, at least when they first started.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actually Cane is essentially DallasTNT. Cynthia Cidre just remade the show into Dallas. For better or - as most people seem to view it - worse.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actually Cane is essentially DallasTNT. Cynthia Cidre just remade the show into Dallas. For better or - as most people seem to view it - worse.

I'll pass on it so. I did have some interest in it because Polly Walker was in the cast but it was aired at 2am in the morning here so I never caught any episodes.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'll pass on it so. I did have some interest in it because Polly Walker was in the cast but it was aired at 2am in the morning here so I never caught any episodes.

Eh, to be fair I think Cane works better than TNTDallas because it's a blank slate. It has the crime/soap/drama element but doesn't try to fit in the whole Dallasverse.

NickLundy0911

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
K
Actually if you go back and watch old Melrose and 90210 promos they pretty much did this. I'm more surprised that people back then didn't get more pissed off about it.

I think there's a fair amount of promos available for both shows on http://vidiot.com
Kinda like how Empire does it now. I can easily predict the outcome of every episode of the show. Especially the second season.

MarkSinacori

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Cane was different than Dallas. I was at the CBS Fall Press tour in 2007 and they were comparing it to Dallas/Dynasty. I remember Cidre and Rita Moreno doing that when they talked about it. It was awesome and the promo they showed was good! I was hooked and had to watch it! Dallas became a lot like Cane. That was BAD!

Cane was cancelled because of the writers strike. It might have lasted!

K

Karin Schill

I remember watching Pacific Palisades when it first came on the air because it had some episodes with Joan Collins in them. :)
I remember I liked it and thought her character were a bit like Alexis but that's all.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember watching Pacific Palisades when it first came on the air because it had some episodes with Joan Collins in them. :)
I remember I liked it and thought her character were a bit like Alexis but that's all.

Pacific Palisades was probably the poorest of Aaron Spelling's 90's Californian soaps (yes, even worse than Models Inc). It wanted to be Knots Landing meets Melrose Place but it was just boring in my opinion. Which was a shame because you had the makings of a good show there. The neighborhood / community soap has been a successful template since the 60's (Peyton Place, Knots, Melrose, Desperate Housewives) and there were some good actors among the cast. They were sold short by the awful writing though.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Pacific Palisades pretty much flopped from the get-go, so Aaron got Joan to join and - I suspect - actually cut her scenes in early as Joan's character literally does nothing for a few episodes after she's introduced then she gets sort of a storyline. But I guess at least it has a proper ending (even if you can see that it was probably scripted as a series finale).

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It wasn't the best show I've ever seen, but I think I liked it - or at least I didn't dislike it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the story started with a nice and optimistic couple moving to PP, and then when they broke up she became a psycho bitch, similar to Alex and Peter on CPW?
It was a big character change but at least it only happened once. The reason I couldn't finish TITANS is because it happened constantly, and not in a clever/suspenseful sort of way - it just didn't make sense anymore.
But I still think TITANS had the potential to become a superfun soap.

I don't like the title of Pacific Palisades, it looks too much like a Californian daytime soap (Santa Barbara, Sunset Beach).
2000 Malibu Road wasn't great either, but the title looks more...clever?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actually, I'd argue that 2000 Malibu Road had LOADS of potential, but was cut short because CBS just didn't want it even after it was a surprise hit.

Poor Lisa Hartman.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It wasn't the best show I've ever seen, but I think I liked it - or at least I didn't dislike it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the story started with a nice and optimistic couple moving to PP, and then when they broke up she became a psycho bitch, similar to Alex and Peter on CPW?
It was a big character change but at least it only happened once. The reason I couldn't finish TITANS is because it happened constantly, and not in a clever/suspenseful sort of way - it just didn't make sense anymore.
But I still think TITANS had the potential to become a superfun soap.

I don't like the title of Pacific Palisades, it looks too much like a Californian daytime soap (Santa Barbara, Sunset Beach).
2000 Malibu Road wasn't great either, but the title looks more...clever?

It's been years since I watched it but the optimistic couple who moved to PP were the couple where Michelle Stafford was the wife (Nick & Joanna). I don't think they broke up during the course of the show. The couple that did break up were played by Greg Evigan and Finola Hughes (Robert & Kate). I think they were trying to position Kate as the scorned ex wife who would be a thorn in the new couple's side, so there was a bit of a personality change from when we first saw her on the show.

The title isn't great but is in keeping with the 90's practice of naming your soap after it's setting. To someone living in Europe, it sounded a bit odd though. I'd never heard of the word "palisade" before that show. I like 2000 Malibu Road as a title but it's quite a restrictive title isn't it? Like had it lasted seven seasons, would they all still be sharing the beach house? Or would it be like Flamingo Road, where only a handful of the characters live there and the rest of the action takes place elsewhere? On the subject of titles, I love Titans, even though one reviewer at the time suggested that it sounded like a brand name for condoms. It would've been a good title for the Dynasty spinoff too but they were clearly trying to hammer home the connection between the show's by going with the super obvious The Colbys.

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was she the interior designer?
No, Kate was a housewife. Her husband Robert owned a building business and started an affair with his co-worker Jessica Mitchell. Kate and Robert broke up and Kate lost their unborn child in a car accident. Later Kate started an affair with the villain Matt Dunning. He used Kate to take over Robert's business. In the series finale, Kate gave Robert and Jessica her blessing and left town.

Nick and Joanna moved to Pacific Palisades with Joanna's little sister Rachel. Nick worked at Robert's company. Rachel dated some guy named Michael from her school. She wanted to find her biological father and met a guy who posed as her father, but he was a psycho and kidnapped Rachel. Nick rescued her. Later it was revealed that Rachel was Joanna's daughter. Rachel couldn't cope with that and tried to ruin Joanna's life by seducing Nick. However, her schemes failed. In the end, Nick, Joanna and Rachel made up and left Pacific Palisades together.

The other main characters were Laura Sinclair, a scheming real estate agent, who was faced with the arrival of her mother Christina Hobson (Joan Collins), and Laura's best friend Beth, who worked as a secretary at Robert's company and fell in love with cosmetic surgeon Cory Robbins. Cory was threatened by a shady guy whom he owed a lot of money, and Beth was threatened by her ex-husband. In the end, Cory and Beth received their happy ending.

All in all, the show was enjoyable. However, it lacked a sense of community from the get-go and the cast didn't have much chemistry.

Regarding Cane: I liked that show, even though it had too many criminal elements for my taste. However, the cast had good chemistry and I liked that all three generations of the main family had storylines that actually made sense. If I remember correctly, it debuted the same year that Dirty Sexy Money started. Both shows suffered from the Writers' Strike. While Cane was cancelled after 13 episodes, DSM received a second season which however was completely different from the great first season. It eventually died a quick death as well.

Last edited:

Soaplover

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Maybe one has to adapt a telenovela nowadays to truly be successful as a primetime soap such as Ugly Betty...which had two families (the haves and have nots) plus a villianesss and a few gray characters to make things not so black and white.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe one has to adapt a telenovela nowadays to truly be successful as a primetime soap such as Ugly Betty...which had two families (the haves and have nots) plus a villianesss and a few gray characters to make things not so black and white.
This made me think of something else: many TV dramas that are not glamorous soaps often have a very rich and powerful character: Judging Amy, Once And Again, Sisters and I think the Gilmore Girls too?
It often makes the story just a little bit juicier.