TNT Dallas For Beginners

James from London

Telly Talk Superstar
Reaction score
Medals
I didn't realise you hadn't watched this yet, Willie - how exciting! (I loved the whole thing, as I think I may have already mentioned.)

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I think the best season was definitely season one. Probably because it still had JR.
Season two and three had some good stuff but also some really awful stuff. I won't say anything more for now as I want you to be able to discover the show and make up your own mind about what you like and what you don't like. :)

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Oh - like Bette Davis said - it's This'n'That. Never ever start to analyse it and you'll enjoy it more than anyone ever.

However, once you start picking it apart it falls completely.

JR Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
Watch it for Larry but don't expect much of it to make sense if you want continuity from the original series.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
What a perfect first episode. The cast, the storylines...it just works. And that almost seems impossible after everything that happened on first DALLAS.
How do you sequel something like that? But they did it, and it's interesting that they've started with an "ending": Bobby is dying and he wants to sell Southfork.
It's a strange mix of poignancy and decay.

upload_2017-8-3_2-47-10.png

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
I had planned to watch S1 two weeks ago, but I've made a little detour and watched the last 2 seasons of THE 4400 on Netflix (only the first two seasons were shown on Dutch TV and I wanted to finish what I had already started).

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
Watched episode 2 last night. I must say the music is gorgeous and everything looks like you would expect modern Texas to look like (even if it wasn't filmed in Texas).

Ah, there it is, that peculiar SF sign in the kitchen.
upload_2017-8-4_21-33-28.png

Maybe it's sort of a game: how many SF signs can you spot inside and outside the house, the Dallas equivalent of the hidden Mickey Mouses in the Disney movies.

And the CBB looks much bigger and opulent than the one featured on the classic series.
Oh wait, that was the Oil Baron's Ball wasn't it?
upload_2017-8-4_21-42-19.png

Glitz, big cars and Stetsons. Just like Europe, America has different versions of grandeur.

Apparently, Ann and JR have never really met or talked before.
"It's no secret that I didn't approve of the first Mrs. Bobby Ewing" - I like these kind of references, as long as it's done moderately.
The history is in the characters but I wouldn't want to see an ongoing trip down memory lane.
That's why I'm perfectly fine with the other original Dallas characters only making a brief appearance rather than becoming part of this story.
It's good to know they haved moved on and live their lives away from Southfork.

upload_2017-8-4_21-54-4.png

JR is going to talk to Sue Ellen but he doesn't want her to see him with his rollator.
"Take this damn thing!"
That instantly reminded me of a scene from Peyton Place, when Martin Peyton (who usually never showed his vulnerability) expressed his frustration by dismissing his wheelchair as a "motorized baby buggy!".
Yes, there's something about elderly people that young people don't have.
Their charm is often a little more endearing, their wit is often wittier, and their evil intent usually appears to be more menacing.

So, Marta Del Sol double-crosses JR, but is she going to triple-cross John Ross?

JR wants to finish the deal himself, only to find out that the real Marta is a different person.
upload_2017-8-4_23-2-40.png

Oh my!

James from London

Telly Talk Superstar
Reaction score
Medals
(even if it wasn't filmed in Texas).
It was!

And the CBB looks much bigger and opulent than the one featured on the classic series.
Oh wait, that was the Oil Baron's Ball wasn't it?
View attachment 4889
Glitz, big cars and Stetsons. Just like Europe, America has different versions of grandeur.
Yeah, there's something MTV Cribs about it.

The history is in the characters but I wouldn't want to see an ongoing trip down memory lane.
Yes, exactly! The history is implied rather than overt.

JR is going to talk to Sue Ellen but he doesn't want her to see him with his rollator.
"Take this damn thing!"
That instantly reminded me of a scene from Peyton Place, when Martin Peyton (who usually never showed his vulnerability) expressed his frustration by dismissing his wheelchair as a "motorized baby buggy!"
JR showed similar signs of frustration when he was in a wheelchair and on crutches after he was shot in the original series.

Yes, there's something about elderly people that young people don't have.
Their charm is often a little more endearing, their wit is often wittier, and their evil intent usually appears to be more menacing.
Yes, and their frailties and vulnerablities, both physical and emotional, seem clearer as well. Watching New DALLAS, Bobby, JR and Sue Ellen all felt much more real, and more moving, to me than they ever did before.

Last edited:

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
My favorite part of that episode was the JR/SE scene. Pure magic to see JR/SE share a scene again after so many years apart! :kiss:

Rove

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
What a perfect first episode. The cast, the storylines...it just works. And that almost seems impossible after everything that happened on first DALLAS.
How do you sequel something like that? But they did it, and it's interesting that they've started with an "ending": Bobby is dying and he wants to sell Southfork.
It's a strange mix of poignancy and decay.
Damn Willie. It makes me nearly want to go and purchase the horrid series. I should mention I was watching by other means (when first aired) ;) as I had no faith in any of the commercial networks here in Oz picking it up, which one did.
The one thing I was really looking forward to seeing was Southfork and Dallas in glorious HD, just not enough of it.