Sons & Daughters Top Ten - The Couples

Willie Oleson

SoapLand Battles Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
Also funny to see that there has to be "Tuscany Valley" printed on everything, as if they can't remember where they live.

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats Brett! You deserve that number one spot. Yes Mel, the depth in his eyes belied his young years. Well put. And easy on the eye indeed.

Great new category choice Willie! :)

Good nominations James. Gave me some good ideas thank you.

1. Terry Hansen’s mother

2. Terry’s father (he briefly appeared as Angelo’s boxing coach in a much lack lustre role in RTE)

3. Pamela Hudson, like so much more could’ve been done here with all the effort they went to get Rowena back. And what either of them saw in Nick is beyond me?

4. Rob and Angela’s neighbour (I thought she was a man in a dress and wig at first glance, that would’ve been a story)

5/6. Bunty and Thel, so barely seen and often mentioned they were almost mythical. And hoot to boot

7. Irene Fisher

8. Muriel, Lyn Palmer’s mum. We saw Victor a bit but anyone whose name us Muriel definitely deserves more air time. How did she put up with being married to him?

9. Miss Collins from the modelling agency, she could’ve seduced David and Kevin

10. Alan Pascoe

Honourable mention to Susan Palmer #1 but having said that, not sure what else they could’ve done with her?

Oh the top 10 idea Mel of characters most likely to cause a huge sigh of relief when they left sounds great! A lot of the new 1985 characters would be scrambling for that title for me!

Last edited:

Victoriafan3

Reaction score
I also wish Tony Parker’s mum, Alice, had stayed around longer. There was one scene where one could just imagine her and Stephen Morrell together, which would’ve been nice. She was good in her part

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
1. Enid Hansen
2. Warren Hansen

The Hansens were just perfect. They oozed homely love and humility. It’s a crime that they were practically retconned out of the series by the time their son was in court. I’d like to have seen them build a relationship with Jill and their granddaughter.

3. Lisa Cook

Despite only having a brief stint early on, Lisa was name-checked more than once quite late in the series. Which shows there was a place for her. I like the idea of her being a recurring character who is more worldly and exotic with each visit until people barely recognise her (towards series’ end Debra Lawrance would be briefly replaced by Vanessa Downing). She’d have good reason to travel between Melbourne and Sydney. And she’d have great international connections that could open doors for characters at convenient times (maybe she could appear in Rio to help David and Fiona).

4. Bill Sanders

Mainly because I liked the Sanders Air Charter set, and with characters travelling between states who better to have. In my Sons and Daughters he would appear much earlier and would steer clear of Debbie. He would be the go-to person for practically every interstate journey. “I’ll call Bill”, spoken in grave tones, would become a shorthand catchphrase to herald an exciting interstate crossover for that character.

5. Helen Green

While the beginning of her story would play out identically, it would actually be Andy that is killed on the Hamiltons’ property, leaving the devastated Helen in need of support and briefly moving in. This gives scope for drama and a satisfying arc as Barbara comes to terms with - and eventually bonds with - the woman who had a fling with both her brother and her "late" husband. When Rosie marries, Helen would become the Hamilton's infrequently-seen housekeeper. Unlike Rosie, she’d be inept and lazy (taking advantage of Barbara and Gordon's guilt over Andy's death on their property), and there would be scenes of Gordon blowing dust off the handset in order to use the phone, or Barbara rolling her eyes as a variation on the same dish is served for dinner most nights. Later, Helen would discover that Roland is alive and having liaisons with Barbara. She and Wayne plot to keep them apart (like Andy, her motive would be revenge for Roland walking out on her). After Barbara chooses Gordon over Roland, Barbara curtly dismisses Helen. But Roland is still guilty for walking out on her and Gordon is guilty over letting her go, so they quietly get her a job at their company as an incompetent-but-friendly receptionist.

The main benefit of the whole run, of course, is the fact that Andy’s stint on the series would be mercifully brief.

6. Welsh Alice
I like the idea of her popping up in random places with the implication that she has somehow known whichever character in some capacity for years. Her envious comments about characters’ wealth, sex lives and dramas would yield a few minor catchphrases, all spoken in her unmistakeable Welsh lilt. Her classic “’Ooo’s payin' you-uh fares these days?” would be joined by “You must be jokin’!” (immediately after some outrageous plot twist); “Don’t be chopsy, now.” (always interjected at the height of a furious argument) and “A Hamilton now, is it?” (usually uttered as she peeks over someone’s shoulder at their passport. This would be a comment on a characters’ third or fourth marriage, and “Hamilton” would be used interchangeably with whichever the new name is).

7. Alan Pascoe

For the reasons already given.

8. Thel
9. Bunty

Again, for the very promising reasons outlined earlier in the round. I gave Thel top billing to root for the underdog.

10. Victor Hardy

Like Lisa Cook, his name was still on people’s lips long after he left. There was still plenty of untapped potential.

Special mentions to:
  • Craig McLachlan’s chest
  • Nikos Dimitriou
  • Stuart Kingsford
  • Mick Ryan
  • Leanne Watson
  • Beryl’s teacups
  • Sarah Hunt (she never made my Top Ten after all)

Willie Oleson

Reaction score
Medals
and there would be scenes of Gordon blowing dust off the handset in order to use the phone
Haha, I can see it.
Welsh Alice
I still have no idea who she is!
While the beginning of her story would play out identically, it would actually be Andy that is killed on the Hamiltons’ property
A tiny adjustment I could live with.
Special mentions to:
I had considered Hal Mason's assistant Di Miller and Leigh's ex-boyfriend Richard Crampton (who reminded me of Simon Armstrong anyway) and I had hoped they would keep Jill's cat and do the whole alphabet.

Willie Oleson

Reaction score
Medals
In keeping with the theme of this top ten I'm going to post the result without the usual pomp and ceremony.

1. Enid Hansen (29)

2. Warren Hansen (26)

3. Alan Pascoe (22)

4. Rob & Angela's neighbour with the chain-smokers voice (15)

5. Bunty (14)

6. Thel (13)

7. Pamela Hudson (11)

8. Simon Armstrong (10)

9. Dr. Micheal Benson (9)

10. Lisa Cook (8)

Honourable mention to James' honourable mention because in his desperation to get his list in first he forgot his #4 choice (!!). The honourable mention became his #10 choice by default, as it were.
Still…

Normally speaking, all eyes would be on Mel since he hasn't given us a theme yet - however, I feel that he has (albeit inadvertently) already predicted our next top ten.

We Breathed A Sigh Of Relief When They Left Characters

I like the passive-aggressive sound of it. It's better than hate and loathe, don't you think?

Victoriafan3

Reaction score
Thank you Willie. Some excellent and deserved results there. This next category duly reflects my least favourite S&D year, which no doubt will be another category. And yes, well worded title Willie. Anyway with doubt or hesitation...

1. Jess Campbell, I don’t know what it was about her, I couldn’t stand her and could barely watch her 1985

2. Donna Jackson, perhaps the single most pointless and boring character ever in the show 1985

3. Spider, words fail me but similar to #1 1985

4. Doris Hudson so creepy, just ick to watch 1985

5. Dr Mike Newman, See #4 for comments 1985 (and the worst part of 1984)

6. Roger Carlisle creepy 1985

7. Rod Campbell whatever did Beryl see in him?! I wished his moustache would carry him away 1985

8. Leigh Palmer she was so nasty to my rock Beryl, even though they tried to redeem her towards the end of her stint I could not get over what she did with Robert. Not easy to watch 1985

9. Darren Brooks the only non 1985 character, was was eerie in 1983

10. Brett Keegan cure for insomnia zzz 1985

Honourable mention to Andy Green. I was looking forward to him Leaving for 4 years. Apologies to those who like him. That cult story was the pits and one of the very few stories that will have me reach for the fast forward button

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Reaction score
Medals
1. Debbie Halliday
Such a lovely name, but she also had this amazing ability to drag down every scene she appeared in and I just found her utterly draining to watch - although her voice was arguably the worst part of it.

2. Janice Reid
She did have her good moments, but Janice was also the genesis of the janicefied era, or at least The Mansion storylines. I could take her for what she was (like Charlie Bartlett) except that Janice had an enormous influence on the other characters, most notably Fiona, and it proved to be quite the struggle for me.

3. Bjorn Nilsson
From the moment he appeared on screen I wished him a bon voyage to Never Returnland. Alas, the Love Boat had to do without him for a while (and breathed a sigh of relief, no doubt).

4. Brett Keegan
The Walking Brett - lifeless, useless, butterless and everything else that ends with "less". I gratefully inhaled the thin air he had vanished into.

5. Michelle White
She was such a wet rag and not fun to watch at all.

6. Helena Matsoukis
Q: What's worse than Andy Green? A: Andy Green's love life. A Greek tragedy, indeed (mostly for me).

7. Angel Jones
*sighs*...o, o, o, they never get it right with these kind of characters.

8. Frank Porter
The creepy neighbour who was too boring to be creepy. What an idiot.

9. Stevie "C'Mon Dad, C'Mon" Ryan
Yeah, really sad what happened to him, but think of the alternative outcome. Just think.

10. Kerry "Mitch" Mitchell
I'm sure she'd do great in a shadow puppet soap.

But it's not like I hated them.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Normally speaking, all eyes would be on Mel since he hasn't given us a theme yet - however, I feel that he has (albeit inadvertently) already predicted our next top ten.
Oh my. Another lesson to be careful what I wish for.

Willie Oleson

Reaction score
Medals
Yes. But looking back at how it came about I feel I've partially (and most unintentionally) manipulated you into making that comment. Although my response preceding that very comment may have been triggered by what someone else had posted - in a most impulsive fashion, of course.
Soooo, if nobody objects I think you should choose the next one too :D

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
1. Robin Elliott

Scott McGregor looked distractingly like Scott Tracy. It’s just a shame he didn’t have his range. The juxtaposition of bitchy one liners delivered with ineffectual blandness in a flat monotone just didn't work for me. At all. I couldn't wait for this Thunderbird to Go!

2. Lynn Palmer

While Lynn and her perma-giggle were not as full-on irritating as some of the names here, the fact that she simply refused to go away for the longest time means her departure was welcomed with open arms. And a nervous chortle.

3. Andy Green

Like Lynn, longevity goes against Andy. Had he simply had a twenty episode stint and then gone he would barely have registered. But he was still around some five hundred and fifty episodes later. The era where he returned with his new "nasty" personality and had a series of smug freeze-frames is a particular low for the series.

4. Donna Jackson

Beginning her life as the impregnated-and-dumped girlfriend of an already bland tertiary character, Donna somehow managed to worm her way into the homes and lives of more important characters, where - as I remember it - she spent months doing little other than waddling round or sitting with her feet up being homely while phoning in her third of love triangles with other tertiary characters. It felt endless.

5. Debbie Halliday

She was basically Lynn with less hair, wasn't she? I remember the change in tone from her first episode where Craig went from a character with potential to be interesting to one who'd lost his mind with obsession on first sight of Debbie because... reasons. It wasn't Shannon Kenny's fault (well, not completely). Sadly, Debbie just seemed to encapsulate every reason why Sons and Daughters shouldn't attempt to do cutesy, lovey-dovey Neighbours stuff.

6. Christine Matthews

With most in this list, I've tried to separate the writing out. If the character is supposed to be annoying, it doesn't count. With Christine I'm not so sure. She was certainly an antagonist. I just didn't find her enjoyable to watch, and (with all respect), I couldn't begin to understand why John and Paul would work themselves up into such a lather over this rather miserable creature.

7. Denise Turner

8. Shelley Barton

Two characters who liked nothing more than a good full-bodied whine. And they certainly overindulged.

9. Brett Keegan

He'd be higher up in the list if I could remember anything about him.

10. Alan Brandon

We've already talked about Richard Morgan being miscast for the role. How he looked like a boy wearing his Dad's suit. How Amanda and Jill inexplicably lost their senses at the sight of him. And then there's his distracting lip smacking habit. It's all so awkward.

I gratefully inhaled the thin air he had vanished into.
You don't know how much I wish I'd said that.

But looking back at how it came about I feel I've partially (and most unintentionally) manipulated you into making that comment. Although my response preceding that very comment may have been triggered by what someone else had posted - in a most impulsive fashion, of course.
Hmmmm. This all sounds a bit Margaret Dunne. Now I don't know what to believe.

Willie Oleson

Reaction score
Medals
Doris Hudson
Dr Mike Newman
Roger Carlisle
Leigh Palmer
Some very surprising choices here. It felt I was doing a series of sepia freeze frame moments.
I had to look up Darren Brooks and Donna Jackson!

Christine Matthews
I think there was something experimental about Christine, she may as well have arrived in a spaceship.
She was so unsuitable for the Good Years that it almost became a fascinating thing.

This all sounds a bit Margaret Dunne
*flashbacks to the moment when I edited out the "how very Margaret of me" in my previous post before clicking on the Post Reply button*

Victoriafan3

Reaction score
Willie the fact that you had to look Donna Jackson up perhaps says it all. She was in it for a year! A whole agonising and forgettable year ;-) And you do realise I said Doris Hudson and not Pamela Hudson? Lol. I could barely watch her. Your and Mel’s choice both brought out a chuckle from me. Thank you. Poor Janice. I thought she was hilarious.

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I think there was something experimental about Christine, she may as well have arrived in a spaceship.
She was so unsuitable for the Good Years that it almost became a fascinating thing.
That's a good way of looking at it. She sounds almost like a pioneer.

This all sounds a bit Margaret Dunne. Now I don't know what to believe.
*flashbacks to the moment when I edited out the "how very Margaret of me" in my previous post before clicking on the Post Reply button*
Oh brilliant. What are the chances.

Your and Mel’s choice both brought out a chuckle from me.
It's proving a fun little round. I love that we each have seven or eight unique choices as well as the ones we have in common.

James from London

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
1. Lynn, by some distance. The cruellest thing S&D ever did was write her out ... only to bring her back. And then she stayed and stayed and stayed, and wailed and wailed and wailed, even more than she had before. Even now, I can't believe she's gone for good. I keep expecting her to come giggling nervously around the next corner.

2. Brian and his mangled accent (even if his back-from-the-dead return was a series highlight).

3. Brian's grandfather or whatever he was. Again, the accent was exhausting to try and keep track of.

4. Philipe. In a way, he was so crap I quite liked him, but him leaving brought us one step nearer to the end of that depressing cafe kitchen set and the end of Lynn (or so it seemed).

5. Jeff O'Brien. Another brilliantly rubbish character, but I remember feeling quite relieved, and oddly proud, that he'd manage to burn himself to death.

6. Robin's ex-prisoner wife who ran him over

7. Tony's whiny girlfriend, the one who stowed away in the back of the van when he left Woombai and then just spent the rest of her time moaning.

8. Susan Mk 1. The boringest original character.

After that, it gets difficult as I'm only halfway through the series. I look forward to being relieved when Andy disappears, and I don't think I'll be crying my heart out when Amanda goes, but it hasn't happened yet. So that only leaves ...

9. Margaret Dunne. When she first arrived and was all weak and dowdy, I really liked her, but once she hooked up with David and made up with Patricia, she turned into a bit of a drag. I didn't hate her, but when she finally died it was kind of exciting.