• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Sons & Daughters Top Ten - the storylines

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The top ten male characters whose physical appearances made it so much easier to feel emotionally invested in all the drama

Shallow but true.

Michael Benson (6) - the first character to make its second appearance in our Top Ten.

Gosh. Who'd have thought it would be MB, MD.

It's kind of a shame he didn't die or even fake die, because we know he's not going to be making his third appearance for a while yet.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Although the death of his kid brother haunted him.

This is true. If off-screen, historical deaths of unseen characters qualify, then the Benson brothers are most certainly back in the running.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This list of deaths in the series might be helpful for this round. Especially for those of us with the memory of a goldfish.

Although it's not comprehensive enough to cover baby Benson.

Most death-finitely. Even off-screen, historical fake deaths apply.

Great stuff. Another off-screen fake death has sprung to mind, and that could well make it into my list.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Even off-screen, historical fake deaths apply
Well, in that case...

1. Baby Scott Thompson's historical off-screen faked death is my favourite in the category High Drama because it created so much depth and significance for future storylines.
Of course, Terry Hansen could have been Fiona's son anyway, soaps do that all the time - but this was such a rich set-up, even before Terry arrived on the scene.

2. I think Jeff O'Brien died the plot-twistiest death because they could no longer prove (let alone find his confession letter, so abysmally soliloquid by Jeff himself) that Patricia hadn't killed Luke Carlyle.
I honestly didn't care about Jeff, but considering that Patricia had tried to seal David's fate by burning Martin Healy's suicide letter, it also had a sense of karmatic payback.

3. Leigh Palmer's suicide. This was a nice shocker because I had completely forgotten about it. And that this should happen at the time I was in the process of forgiving the little she-devil. It was slightly diminished by her previous presumed death but maybe that was partially the reason why it caught me off guard.

4. Ginny Doyle's fatal car accident. Glen's death had more purpose, plot-wise, and that's why Ginny's death seemed so accidental and fatal and therefore more raw.

5. Karen Fox died the bitchiest death. "That's where you belong! In the mud!"

6. Luke Carlyle , for that well-staged, horrific discovery.

7. Richard Crampton. It was a good and satisfying death scene and his body is still in that old mine shaft but only Leigh knows that and she's dead now.

8. Mike O'Brien's death on top of everything else, because Heather was always meant to suffer and she suffered so beautifully.

9. Sharon Watson's drowning, because I hoped it would happen and thankfully Sons & Daughters never shied away from brutal topics.

10. James Hamilton died the most hilarious and unceremonious off-screen death in a Ferris wheel ride.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
And I thought you thought:

I wasn't then. But I am now.

And that makes her the first of three Sharons to be killed off in the Aussie hit show!

Oh Willie - your S&D knowledge is most definitely hardcore. You could put together a trivia quiz that would probably stump us all (well me, certainly).

Who were the other two?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
#2: Bob "Mitch" Mitchell's Sharon had died off-screeny in a car accident (I think???)
#3: Kevin's Sharon (Holland) was killed off-screeny in a blast in the Aussie embassy (Saudi Arabia, or some place like that)

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
#2: Bob "Mitch" Mitchell's Sharon had died off-screeny in a car accident (I think???)
#3: Kevin's Sharon (Holland) was killed off-screeny in a blast in the Aussie embassy (Saudi Arabia, or some place like that)

Ohhhhh. Of course!!

If only I'd recently watched the entire series I'd be able to remember all this stuff.

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Karen Fox Hamilton, the funniest death on the show, albeit perhaps unintentionally. That loop one of you posted on here was hilarious. It was the legs going over, almost looking like she was doing the fingers as she flipped over the bridge. It also reminded me of Billy Goats Gruff with the troll meeting his end over the bridge. I was in fits of laughter

2. Sam Selmar - his death at the start of the series kicked off John meeting Angela. Without him there would be not many sons and daughters.

3. Glen Young - the end of the love story for Susan. A bit reminiscent of Bobby’s death scene with Pam but not as good. They should’ve been happy together but soapland had other plans

4. Sharon Watson - rarely do 80s soaps kill off kids. And the brutal and haunting scene afterwards with Martin and Peter by the pool gave the show one of its best acted, too real and raw, almost too unsoap like scene

5. Isabella - Charlie was distraught. The second dog to be bumped off after Titus. Kids, dogs, this soap had no qualms about who dies

6. Dee Morrell - very soapy. Far more appropriate in soapdom. The way Beryl gave her what for and all the fab drama that followed with her very mod will reading

7. Susan Palmer Hamilton - was it two fake deaths (could be a record, rivalling Stephanie Harper) before her actual demise? It was a fitting end for Wayne and Susan and the series. Beryl would be devastated and Gordon would feel so guilty to Beryl for his son killing her daughter. But fortunately we are spared that scene. I’m happy having Beryl and Gordon’s blissful scene, where serially kidnapped Robert calls him dad, imbedded in my mind as a content last moment. At least, albeit it non-bodily, Glen and Susan reunited in the end

8. Baby Scott Thompson - great drama with Jill seeing the grave be bulldozed, the effect on Fiona and then the bulldozer effect on both of them from Terry/Scott being still alive

9. Margaret Dunne - sad for David and Patricia. Margaret was an interesting character to watch and Ilona a good actress

10. Ginny Doyle - continuing the Dallas style death, with her eyes open like Katherine Wentworth

Honourable mention to Ruby Hawkins - Eerie seeing Beryl’s double and opposite meet her fate like this.

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
1. Luke Carlyle
This was the era when I was first watching the series. I still find it thrilling, especially with the chain reaction of Patricia facing a murder charge and the threat of assassination from Luke’s furious father. As Willie said, there was also that horrific discovery which Leila Hayes sold incredibly well.

2. Dee Morrell
As VF3 said, the video will was a true classic. Dee’s death changed a number of lives. And not all for the better.

3. Jeff O’Brien
One of the series grimmer deaths, what with Jeff’s parents being so close but so far away. As well as being a moment in itself, it also made for an exciting twist to the already exciting storyline that had come from the last big death.

4. Sharon Watson
Because it affected the person who was viewed responsible so profoundly, leading to some of the rawest scenes in the entire run of the series.

5. Susan Palmer’s Fake Suicide
The visual of her walking into the ocean, eyes glazed, on a wintry-looking day continues to resonate. We got some great character responses to her death. And even better responses to her resurrection.

6. Scott Thompson
The memory of Baby Scott gave some incredibly powerful moments to early S&D. Fiona’s discovery that his grave had been destroyed is one of Pat McDonald’s finest moments.

7. Roger Carlyle
Kind of S&D’s Who Shot Bobby?, due to the familiar-but-inferior echoes of a similar event earlier in the series. A Carlyle gets into an altercation with a Patricia and is then mysteriously killed. The reveal of the killer wasn’t the most exciting, but Charlie preparing to pretend to be shocked when she and Caroline discover the body, and her reaction on discovering the body has mysteriously vanished gave a welcome injection of fun. Plus the sight of Roger, dead in the darkness, with his pale blue eyes staring was genuinely creepy.

8. Ruby Hawkins
Craig’s discovery of her body after she’s been hammered to death gives me the creeps every time. There’s something very Jack The Ripper about it all, right down to Ruby being a lady of the night.

9. Leigh Palmer
Another grim ending. But after so much chaos, it felt clean and fitting.

10. Jim O’Brien
I hated that Jim had to die. But this was another scene that was so much more than it needed to be, thanks to Leila’s touching performance.

Special mentions to:

• Titus the dog (whose death was moving)
  • Todd Fisher (whose preparation for death was equally moving)
  • Karen Fox (for that tumble from the bridge)
  • Barney Adams (because he was effectively killed by an exploding wheelchair. An exploding wheelchair!)

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sorry for the delay; death completely slipped my mind.

Off the top of my head:

1. Scott Thompson - he's dead! he's alive! he's a rapist!
2. Patricia - nobody on-screen was bothered for more than twenty minutes, but I like that we knew she was still alive before she'd even 'died' - if that makes sense.
3. Martin Healy - David kneeling over the body and putting his fingerprints all over the murder weapon, Cole Gioberti-style, is one of my earliest S&D memories.
4. Luke Carlyle - there was just so much going on at this point and it was all so exciting; I'm still not sure who actually killed him.
5. Jeff O'Brien - tragic but also kind of hilarious. Jeff was such a pathetic klutz.
6. Titus the Dog - not Titus!
7. Todd Fisher - not Todd!
8. Karen's son - really enjoyably grim; they were just killing anyone by this point.
9. Andy Green's mother - oh, if only he'd drowned in the pool and she'd joined a cult
10. Brian - just for dying so many times and finally staying dead.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I like that we knew she was still alive before she'd even 'died' - if that makes sense.

This has reminded me:

I've probably mentioned that when I first read the novels, all around the same time in the latter part of the Eighties, some stories were ancient history while others were still to play out on UK screens (certainly in my region). I remember reading on the back page blurb of one of the novels that Patricia had died and thought I'd stumbled on a massive spoiler. Only to later realise that it barely registered in the show itself.

Andy Green's mother - oh, if only he'd drowned in the pool and she'd joined a cult

Ha ha. Now that's an idea I can get on board with.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We have an unlucky winner! And two dogs!

1. Baby Scott Thompson (28)
1597184185745.png

2. Jeff O'Brien (23)

3. Luke Carlyle (22)

4. Karen Fox / Sharon Watson (16)

5. Dee Morrell (14)

6. Leigh Palmer (10)

7. Sam Selmar / Patricia (9)

8. Ginny Doyle / Glen Young / Martin Healy (8)

9. Isabella / Susan Hamilton's fake suicide (6)

10. Titus the dog (5)

:rip:

I hope Mel has another great idea for our Aussie Hit Show top ten.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I hope Mel has another great idea for our Aussie Hit Show top ten.

Oh goodness. Is it me again already?

Well, for the sake of having something - anything - shall we say The Couples. And if people hate it, we can blame it on the humidity and the ungodly hour and think of something else.