Sons & Daughters Top Ten - the storylines

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I deserve a good cyber-slap for this, but I'm gonna sit this round out as I just can't remember who slapped who and when. I should have done a special thread on it.

Well done, everyone else!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's perfectly alright, James. Because I know you're working very hard on a detailed and 100% accurate timeline of Gordon's The Company/Hamilton Industries (and when it was Fiona's or Karen's or Caroline's company and how did and did not go bankrupt and so forth and etcetra).

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Gee, I had almost forgotten about this top ten (of all top tens!)

Thank you, Barbara!

1. Beryl bitch-slaps Katie (29)
2. Patricia bitch-slaps Margaret bitch-slaps Patricia (22)​
3. Beryl bitch-slaps Angela (19)​
4. Rob bitch-slaps Patricia / Liz bitch-slaps Karen (13)​
5. Dee bich-slaps Charlie (12)​
6. Patricia bitch-slaps Jill (10)​
7. Barbara bitch-slaps Liz (9)​
8. Barbara bitch-slaps Wayne (8)​
9. David bitch-slaps Patricia / Fiona bitch-slaps Patricia / Patricia bitch-slaps Angela (6)​
10. Mike slaps Jeff (5) (to keep him awake?)​

Not surprisingly, Beryl Palm Her (©Mel O'Drama) is the undisputed queen of the Aussie bitch-slappery.
Honourable mention for Patricia who performs 3 bitch-slaps in our top ten - and how I would have loved to see #9 in one and the same episode!

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Best end of season cliffhangers?? You could rank them just one to six or you could give them marks like

1. Patricia tells David they aren’t his children, this was so thrilling. No one was nearly dead and it completely gave the whole show a new twist. Brilliant. Original and well acted
2. Three chilling shots are fired at Woombai
3. The End and it goes back to the start with twins being born at Fiona’s and that touching montage. Such a beautiful way to end the show. Everything was tied up. And, have I mentioned?, Jill lived happily ever after in Queensland with John and Angela. Or maybe she’d married Terry by now?
6. Whine has a shark fin chasing him.
8. Patricia goes into surgery with that very creepy dr. I never realised on original airing this was the end of year cliffhanger. I thought it was Jill, Barbara and Fiona after the blown up wheelchair and who died? That I would’ve enjoyed far more
10. I can barely remember who had the last freeze frame. It was a zzzzz cliffhanger after a zzzzz year Fiona found out she had cancer from Irene or James and Alison we’re going down. Like the show :-(

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. I think the time has come to knock Mr. Sheppard right out of the running - and to hell with the consequences! - very exciting Dutch season finale cliffhanger

2. Andy's intervention. Patricia demands to know what's going on there. She tells Stephen, "I'd like an explanation - now." - my devastating youtube season finale cliffhanger

3. Shooting at Woombai - season two finale

4. David is still working in the grounds at the country house, banging down his shovel on the ground. He suddenly pauses as a 'plane flies overhead, and he looks up and stares at it, wiping sweat from his upper lip as he does so. Patricia sits in the aircraft, looking worried and upset - the End Of An Era season finale cliffhanger

5. Picture in Rio, firs image of the new Patricia - Dutch Belgian season finale cliffhanger.

6. Black freeze frame! Feels like the end of the world - season 3 (?) finale cliffhanger

7. Wayne kills his wife! Susan and Bill Todd are together in heaven now - season six series finale cliffhanger

8. Animals in distress. The shark is bitten by a snake, the snake is being chased by a shark and the tick is bleeding to death - season 5 cliffhanger finale. I mean season 5 finale cliffhanger.

9. They're not your children! Beautiful first boxset season finale.
1603228734079.png
Hurrah!

10. Season 4 was so wicked & wild they couldn't cliffhanger it properly. Wayne marries Mary. Hm, hm? I don't remember this at all.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Quite a tough one, this. All the season finales were highly entertaining, and I especially enjoyed the Fourth and Fifth season finales as fun standalone episodes so was quite tempted to have them at the top. But as it is I've gone with....

1. Episode 352
Season Two

Fiona surprises Terry with tickets for a flight in ten minutes’ time. Nobody remembers John's birthday except his twin sister. Margaret drives badly and Patricia tells her not to get carried away. Jill is supported by someone who knows what having a grandchild means to Fiona. Patricia says “Helen Green” to Barbara who flares her nostrils. Beryl bakes a cake and shots are fired after Joe Parker rudely helps himself to a piece of it.

2. Episode 528
Season Three

Jill goes to a nightclub with Alan Brandon and is worn out the following day so Alan turns his attentions to Katie O’Brien. Karen drinks too much and rings Wayne who is mean to her. Fiona is on the verge of responding to boyfriend Barney’s proposal. Irene tells David he can’t see what’s under his nose and David agrees. Mitch says Amanda is still interested, so Wayne kills him with a punch to the stomach. Dr Ritter is in a mysterious accident and Ross helpfully covers for him at the hospital.

3. Episode 174
Season One

Grouchy Doug returns. Lynn has her first modelling assignment. Pat buys John a BMW for his 21st and David whacks her. Beryl bakes a pav.

4. Episode 696
Season Four

Charlie rings Barbara who can’t talk as she’s off to watch Wayne marry his sister while Mavis plays the organ. Rod chooses Beryl over Doris, so Doris locks Beryl out of the house. Irene beats around the bush for quarter of an hour to put off giving Fiona bad news. Caroline is stuck in the cupboard under the stairs. James flies Alison to the wedding of her secret daughter and ex-stepson. James is tanked, but the plane isn’t.

5. Episode 868
Season Five

Caroline is put off marrying Doug when his wife pays a visit. Craig is kicked by Debbie’s kidnapped horse. Janice gets drunk and wakes up with a naked Henry Ramsay. Tick suffers a Fishing Related Injury. Alison discovers Wayne’s safe isn’t safe. The freeze frame is photobombed by a fish.

6. Episode 972
Season Six

Beryl reads Bambi and washes dishes while Gordon smiles and laughs. David puts on his best checked shirt to visit Alison’s motel room. Todd becomes Isabella’s daddy. Wayne finds a way to stop Susan leaving. Fiona’s nostalgia brings on a sepia montage.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ll skip this round as well cos I’ve not seen all the cliffhangers and, you know, spoilers ...

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
You make it all look so exciting!

And it is. It really is!!

Since you voted for only 6 season finales

But... there are only six. Or are there...? :think:

Since I don't want #972 to suffer, here are some headcanon Season Finale Cliffhangers to make it up to ten:

7. Episode 474
Mid Season Three

Barbara rides a moped. Jeff hobbles round on crutches. Katie peels carrots. And the Sons And Daughters channel closes down forever when I’m at my most invested.

8. Episode 69
Mid Season One

Beryl makes coffee. Kevin clears the gutters. Lynn whines. And - in a harbinger of worse to come (see Episode 474 above) - the Sons And Daughters channel is taken down for seven whole days of maintenance.

9. Episode 596
Mid Season Four

The one where a number of characters leave and the 1984 hairdos have their final outing (#597 would see haircuts, suntans and a revamped title sequence. Which is a very new season thing to do). Charlie and Isabella see a ghost. And Beryl offers her rhubarb pie to Mr Kingsford.

10. Episode 540
Early Season Four

So much excitement it was included on the Classic Cliffhangers DVD. A wormhole means all the characters lose three months. Bunty and Thel babysit baby Fee. David getting wood leads to a surprise in the garden for Beryl. Fiona likens Leigh to chocolate cake with marzipan icing.

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks Willie. I’m happy either way, big arcs like Terry and Jill could be one long story or broken up into segments. Just whatever suits all of you :)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There was a lot of stuff going on before Fee was born, including the big reveal that Terry was Fiona's son. And you could also see it as two overlapping story arcs: Terry vs. Jill and Terry vs. Fiona. But that's what made it so fascinating in the first place.

The Wayne/Susan/Glen love triangle from season 6 was much more defined in that regard.
Wayne's look-alike Gary Evans, the return of Roland Armstrong, David's modelling career

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
1. Season 2 - 27

Wonderful. Let's hear it for Corny's nostril-acting.

There's one more topic I'd like to do: the storylines.

Sounds great.

Along similar lines, at some point there was talk in the main thread of doing a Top Ten of S&D storylines and scenes that were seen in other shows, so that's a possibility for a future round.

I suppose we could divide the very overarching ones (e.g. Jill & Terry) into different stages, or should we count it as one big storyline?

I'm easy. It might be interesting to see different people's interpretation of what makes for a storyline.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I have no idea what that would be!

Tonight I'm feeling too lazy to trawl through a 50 page thread to find the conversation, but I seem to recall we were thinking of things like Beryl's baby being black marketed out to an unsuspecting mother who became attached, and how that had parallels with a certain Knots storyline. Or a character having plastic surgery and interacting with people who don't recognise her in order to right some wrongs, which was like Return To Eden. And there were a few key moments on A Place To Call Home that seemed like nods to S&D scenes (but I'm not sure I could include those, in case it spoilt James's watch of that series).

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thought this thread better kick off haha. As no one gave me better ideas it’s the all about Jill show ;-)

1. Jill and John’s cute romance to sweet proposal - sad breakup
2. Jill marrying Wayne and Brian showing up
3. Jill’s rape by Terry and him being Fiona’s son
4. Wayne hires Beth Newman to be Jill’s mother
5. Jill marrying Brian
6. Jill’s on off friendship with Patricia
7. Barbara and Gordon’s romance
8. Beryl and Gordon’s romance
9. Angela and Rob’s romancewedding
10. Patricia and David’s affair

Highly commended to Angela and John’s attraction to and love for each other as the early premise for the show - with Jill liking John but John likes Angela but Angela likes herself and her horse and to Heather and Mike’s grief over Jeff dying and baby Robert’s kidnapping

Last edited: