Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
As I have done already with the other three major supersoaps, some "Dynasty"-themed videos are coming soon, starting with the Top Ten episodes. Anyway, since both Spelling soaps are included in my video "Top 39 most-watched supersoaps", I decided to open now this thread and post it here too.

This time I went for something a bit more ambitious and, instead of a Top Ten, I decided to do a Top 39. Why this number? Because it turns out to be the number of Season Finales that were aired by the American networks in the 80´s (1980-89) but didn´t end up being Series Finales. So the endings of "Dynasty", "Falcon Crest" and "Flamingo Road" are left out. On the contrary, I did include the fabulous Series Finale of "The Colbys" because it sort of continued on "Dynasty"...

Sorry for the low quality of some of the clips, but you know, better than anyone, how hard can be to get decent clips of "Falcon Crest" or "Dynasty". It´s a countdown list, from the one with a lower number of viewers to the one who topped the list (shhhh...). I used the Nielsen audience numbers for the respective weeks, not the overall ranking for the whole season nor the "share" info. I hope TPTB allow me to keep this video online, but so far it seems there´s hardly anything in it that deserves my beheading...

As usual, please express your opinions in this thread (though I will post the video in the other forums' thread for my Top Ten videos). Enjoy the images and think that some excellent cliffhangers were seen by not too many people (for the era, because now all of them surpass most of the cable shows...).

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks, Toni! The video looks like a lifetime of fabulous soap misery.

and think that some excellent cliffhangers were seen by not too many people
Dynasty's S1 cliffhanger at #25?? America had one of the best shows and they didn't even know it.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's interesting that the most talked about cliffhangers of each show ("Royal Wedding" for Dynasty and "A House Divided" for Dallas) are not their most popular. But such is the fickle nature of ratings. And I agree with @Willie Oleson that Dynasty's best cliffhanger (and my favourite of any soap) is the mystery wife walking in at the trial as the surprise witness. When she walked in, before Collins was even cast, the music and the others' reactions foretold that s@it was going to hit the fan. I do remember liking "The Cabin," though I wish the show had done a better job creating a mystery out of the culprit. Camille Marchetta, undoubtedly the creator of the cliffhanger as a device, knew that it's not about what happens (J.R. is shot) but about the journey there.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 4 had the weakest finale imo. There was zero suspense to watch Alexis in jail, and Fallon's accident (or something like that) was even more bizarre than the UFO.
Matthew's return was bollocks too but at least there was the surprise.

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
its´s interesting the cabin fire had better ratings than Moldavia and Pam´s car accident had better ratings then the seasons before
even though super soaps were on their way down ...

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hello les amis de la Dynastie (c´est chic, la Piggy says...)! :danc:

I am working on a Top 10 Episodes video for "Dynasty" and I was wondering if you would give me a hand so the final choice of eppis may be more representative of true fans' preferences. If you wanna join me in this, please say in this thread which episodes of the show are your favorites and why. I will list 10 (plus "honorable mentions") in my video, but any number of titles will be welcome here, and those that will get more votes, will be included in the Top 5. :clap:

If you don´t mind, I´d put in the "info bubbles" those comments that I find more fun, meaningful or witty. Bitchiness is welcome! Of course, your forum´s nicknames would be listed at the end (unless specified otherwise) in the most "dynastic" way and the best possible taste! No need to say that this has nothing to do with WC Die-nasty... :eek:

One last thing: Season Premieres and Finales are not eligible (they both will have their own Top 10 video together with the other major soaps), but the Pilot is. See below a complete list of the whole series and links to the synopses for each of the nine seasons:
https://sites.google.com/site/supersoapsdynasty/home/episodes-episodios

upload_2019-6-9_22-47-1.jpeg

"Miss Piggy who? I won´t accept that call after what happened at the yacht!"​

Last edited:

Luke Fuller

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am afraid that numbers related to episodes represent ratings, it means percentage of households. For example, Colorado Roulette episode (Dynasty, season 8) had rating 16.1 % or 14.3 milion of households. I am surprised that a cliffhanger of season 1 had such a good rating, because this episode did not appear in week TOP 20.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am afraid that numbers related to episodes represent ratings, it means percentage of households. For example, Colorado Roulette episode (Dynasty, season 8) had rating 16.1 % or 14.3 milion of households. I am surprised that a cliffhanger of season 1 had such a good rating, because this episode did not appear in week TOP 20.

Luke, my initial plan was to make the Top 39 list with the share numbers (=percentage of households watching) but I went for million viewers instead because the share thing is too confusing for many people starting with me. 16,1 was given in million and not in percentage, upon the Nielsen ratings. Besides, a show can have a big number of viewers one week, but not be in the top 20 because a lot of other shows surpassed it and made it place in, let´s say, number 32. The main thing in this is if you liked to see these cliffhangers put together or not, the rest is math and cold statistics. By the way, the Season 1 cliffhanger of "Dynasty" was placed in Number 25. I wouldn´t call that a good rating.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here´s this week´s first Top 10 video, now for the best Character Introductions in a Primetime Soap. "Return" scenes are discarded because they will have their own Top 10. Meaning that, Alexis´s is in, but not Abby´s in the last episode of KL. This is actually another Dynasty-fest, so I will have to go to the doctor´s for a check-up! Again, sorry for the poor quality of some clips and the expanded version of others. I didn’t really mean for Beacham´s breasts to look so...well, you will know what I mean when you watch it. Three Dynasty & Colbys stars (+plus another "honorably mentioned") are in this!

Enjoy this video and get ready for another one soon!

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
From now on this character will be played by...
No, seriously, TPTB are against me again and I re-posted the Top 10 Character Introductions video here:
https://dai.ly/x7bon6u

colbyco

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Donna Redd as Ellie was more intriging than Jessica on Dallas.
Francesca and Nicole Sauget were better introduced than Jordon Roberts on FC.
Cathy was the most exciting introducting on KL as far as I remember ...

outstanding were Adam, Dominique and Alexis on Dynasty

colbyco

LV

Reaction score
Awards
(...)
I am working on a Top 10 Episodes video for "Dynasty" and I was wondering if you would give me a hand so the final choice of eppis may be more representative of true fans' preferences. If you wanna join me in this, please say in this thread which episodes of the show are your favorites and why. I will list 10 (plus "honorable mentions") in my video, but any number of titles will be welcome here, and those that will get more votes, will be included in the Top 5. :clap:(....)

- "A love remembered" is outstanding! Dynasty´s big rivals back in love. The viewers glimpse what both had in common.
- 207 "the wedding" the most emotional episode of the show and Krystle´s good-bye which brought me tears
- a dead body, Krystle is missing and Alexis gets a "Touch of Sable". the battle of the bitches begin ...
- "the rig" explosion which sets Blake´s life in danger and changes Ben from evil brother to good uncle + a catfight we waited for years
- Alexis celebrates "the ball" at the mansion - but before the night is over Blake has his empire back
- while "the titans" celebrate their pipeline, Alexis is a nun and Krystle in trapped in the attic + the introduction of the Colbys
- the whole Carrington family is in "the trial". Who will win? Ben or Blake ?
- Alexis brings Ben to the "Masquerade" ball; Blake looks nearly as surprised as he was when Alexis entered the courtroom; Alexis learns of Caress' secret book. You feel something big is comming.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
- "A love remembered" is outstanding! Dynasty´s big rivals back in love. The viewers glimpse what both had in common.
- 207 "the wedding" the most emotional episode of the show and Krystle´s good-bye which brought me tears
- a dead body, Krystle is missing and Alexis gets a "Touch of Sable". the battle of the bitches begin ...
- "the rig" explosion which sets Blake´s life in danger and changes Ben from evil brother to good uncle + a catfight we waited for years
- Alexis celebrates "the ball" at the mansion - but before the night is over Blake has his empire back
- while "the titans" celebrate their pipeline, Alexis is a nun and Krystle in trapped in the attic + the introduction of the Colbys
- the whole Carrington family is in "the trial". Who will win? Ben or Blake ?
- Alexis brings Ben to the "Masquerade" ball; Blake looks nearly as surprised as he was when Alexis entered the courtroom; Alexis learns of Caress' secret book. You feel something big is comming.

Thanks a lot for your answer @colbyco! I will take all those titles into account, though some of them were in my list too! I hope to get more votes in this thread before 2019 ends... :cool1

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here is my newest video, now for the top ten most memorable Season Premieres of a Supersoap. I hope it is on enough time for you to watch it. As usual, I have included "Dallas", "Knots Landing", "Falcon Crest", and "Dynasty", because they were the ones that had the best Season Premieres. Remember that I already did one video for the most watched Season Finales (see above). This video will probably be uploaded to Dailymotion if YouTube banishes it for some kind of obscure reason. In this case I will re-post here the new URL. Thanks a lot for your interest and encouragement. More videos to come soon! Opinions are not only welcome but very much-needed!

In case the YouTube link disappears, here is the same video to watch from Dailymotion! Enjoy it!

PS: Still looking for collaboration to get a fair selection of "Dynasty"´s best episodes. If I don´t get it, I´ll make a video with the Top 10 shameful things "Dynasty" ever did. And it´s not a threat...

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, I got good news for you...I´m not sure if I should believe it, but my last Supersoaps video has been seen by 500 people (or 500 times by one freak of a fan!) without including my own views, in only 4 days! YouTube has given me this info and also hints that if, it´s not been forbidden yet, it probably won´t. Also quite incredible to me is the fact that this year I reached the number of over 600 subscribers. Actually, I don´t pay any attention nor do anything for the numbers, just for the pleasure of making it and sharing it, but this just was a bit of a shock... FYI, I pay nothing and get nothing from uploading my videos, as happens with my site, which I maintain just for my love for soaps.

So I´m going ahead with a few more videos. I can tell you a few clues: one if for the best "Falcon" quotes, as I already told you; another has to do with "Actors who started in Supersoaps"; another one with "Female Powerhouses" (the ones who went from rags to riches, so to say), and another one with "Huge mistakes that ruined the SS". Nothing we can´t read in these our forums, which as usual is a great inspiration, not only thematically, but also for all the friends who also make (really) good videos who have encouraged me over and over. Thanks a lot to you all.

After all these years, this family I love so much still makes me happy!!
And I also want to remind you that I´d love to see more suggestions to make the Top 10 "Dynasty" videos!! So far only one fan has given his choices and I´d really like to count on the votes of more of you! Come on, don´t be bitchy shy!!

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here is this week´s countdown video. Due to the subject ("huge mistakes that ruined the Supersoaps", go figure...!), it will take two parts to complete. You can watch Part One here, with the first (or last...) 5 mistakes. Including the "usual suspects": "Dallas", "Dynasty", "Falcon Crest", "Knots Landing", and "The Colbys". "Flamingo Road" will appear in Part Two... I hope you enjoy this video, as you can see at the end, I've included thanks to you all here on Soapchat because part of the info you can read about the shows, could be found and confirmed thanks to the threads and posts from here that Google directed me to.

Luke Fuller

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Luke, my initial plan was to make the Top 39 list with the share numbers (=percentage of households watching) but I went for million viewers instead because the share thing is too confusing for many people starting with me. 16,1 was given in million and not in percentage, upon the Nielsen ratings. Besides, a show can have a big number of viewers one week, but not be in the top 20 because a lot of other shows surpassed it and made it place in, let´s say, number 32. The main thing in this is if you liked to see these cliffhangers put together or not, the rest is math and cold statistics. By the way, the Season 1 cliffhanger of "Dynasty" was placed in Number 25. I wouldn´t call that a good rating.

Well, Nielsen ratings in Dynasty time really represented percentage of households, not number of viewers. Beside, the value of 1 percentage steadily rose every year. For example, Dynasty´s season 3 had rating 22,4 % and season 6 had rating 21,8 %, but what about number of households, season 6 could pride on higher audience (18,73 million versus 18,66 million). If we return to the originally posted video with cliffhangers, I would like to stress out some errors with order of Dynasty episodes. Cliffhanger of season 6 had rating 21,9 %, which represented 18,8 million of households. On the contrary, cliffhanger of season 2 had rating 22,7 %, which meant 18,5 million of households. Likewise, cliffhanger of season 7 had rating 17,6 %, but 15,4 million of households and cliffhanger of season 1 had rating 18,6 % (here, I must believe you, this number is new for me), which represented 14,9 million of households.

Season 1980/81 : 1 % of rating = 799 thousand of households
Season 1981/82: 1 % of rating = 815 thousand of households
Season 1982/83: 1 % of rating = 833 thousand of households
Season 1985/86: 1 % of rating = 859 thousand of households
Season 1986/87: 1 % of rating = 874 thousand of households

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here is this week´s video, the second and last part of the Top Ten "Huge Mistakes that Ruined the Supersoaps". This one is a bit longer and, as in the previous one, covers the four major soaps (both D´s, Falcon and Knots), and also "The Colbys" and "Flamingo Road" because...well, we are talking here of "huge mistakes"...if you know what I mean. Number One (the last part) includes a bit of TV history about why we are using a certain expression for a certain moment when quality begins to drop...

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Voilà my latest video and the first new one for September. This time it's for the 10 (+1) rags-to-riches women in the Supersoaps, i.e., those (mostly) young ladies who, despite their humble (or just poor) origins, got to have millions in their banks. As usual, it's a countdown video starting with number 11, plus three more as "honorable mentions". Enjoy them and "like" if you like...