SoapLand - The Battle Of Transport Scenes - The Result

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Cars and sleighs, trains and planes, elevators and escalators, skateboards and skippy balls, U-boats and UFOs - as long as there's something going on.

But, this is NOT for the crashes and accidents, it's about the scene itself.

Was there something interesting going on, private affairs and dealings perhaps, stuff that couldn't happen inside the mansion?

upload_2020-5-26_23-41-21.png

Or something else?​

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Angela returns and immediately starts scheming. I wasn't a big fan of the final season of Falcon Crest but the return of Angela after being away for most of the season was electrifying and made everyone realise how much they missed her. Shortly after her return she is driven to a location and her car pulls up alongside a stationary car belonging to Michael Sharpe. Her car window rolls down and you think she is going to let him know of her intention to get Falcon Crest back from him but instead she is more interested in planning how they can work together to stop Richard from marrying Lauren. It is probably the most memorable scene of the entire season with the exception of her soliloquy at very end. FALCON CREST

2. Fallon leaves in a spaceship. Probably the most bonkers mode of transport in any soap when Fallon is whisked away in a spaceship. The scene was just so unexpected, so bizarre and so unique that it is arguably the most iconic scene in the entire run of the show. THE COLBYS

3. Field gets shot while fighting his hostage takers. On their honeymoon cruise, Field and Constance are taken hostage by a gang that forcibly board the ship and take control of it. Field get in an argument and is shot by the female member of the gang. FLAMINGO ROAD

4. Sid is accused of rape. Sid give a lift to a hitchhiker and the scene unfolds slowly with them chatting happily intercut with scenes from the school production going on at the same time with Diane performing in a school musical number singing a song from Sweet Charity while Karen is watching proudly in the audience. The car scene get more sinister with the girl making the rape accusation and Sid being cuffed by the cops while the cutaways to the school scene remain light-hearted. KNOTS LANDING

5. Miss Ellie and Wes Parmalee kiss. Wes takes Ellie on a romantic carriage ride which she enjoys so much that they end up snogging in it. Was it a realisation for her that Wes was really Jock? DALLAS

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
1. Dallas - Miss Ellie is kidnapped by Lady Jessica in the boot (trunk) of her car - also one of my favourite pieces of music from the series.

2. Dallas - Sue Ellen's dream, where JR's car is chasing her independent of the driver!!!

2. Dallas -JR drives Sue Ellen to Graison Research after they reconcile:

3. Dallas - Miss Ellie rides up to McKay's ranch in her Golf to threaten him - Go Ellie!!!

4. Dallas - Pam and Bobby in the iconic opening scene, Digger's Daughter

5. Dallas - Lucy is given her brand new porsche in a box

6. Dallas - JR takes the helicopter to try to kidnap John Ross, revealing Miss Ellie as a special surprise when visiting Sue Ellen

7. Dallas - Bobby puts tiny baby Christopher into his car to take him home to Southfork for the first time:

8. Dallas - Pam sees Mark Graison's fancy car in the parking lot

9. Dallas - Pam gives JR the look from hell when she spots him in Barnes Wentworth parking lot

10. Dallas - Pam, Afton, Cliff and Mark in same vehicle after a night on the town:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
For anyone wanting to get technical - or those who need inspiration - some details of the main Dallas cars are to be found in this thread.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1) "Spare me the chitchat!" - Angela meeting Michael Sharpe both in their limousines was humorous, combined with classic Mrs. Channing comments. Sharpe says: "Well if it isn't the incomparable Angela Channing I've heard nothing but good things." Angela replies: "Spare me the chitchat!" The purpose of their meeting was to discuss how they would stop Richard's wedding to Lauren. FALCON CREST

2) "Your folks are gonna throw me right off the ranch." - There may be trouble ahead, as signalled by the first scene from the Texas show. Yet it was classic, as Bobby and Pam are driving down the Dallas highway and it was bitterly cold, into the bargain. DALLAS

3) The Alien was here - There was no more DYNASTY spinoff after this scene. However what a way to bow out. Fallon goes for a ride in the UFO and the rest is history. THE COLBYS

4) Blake commences the Colorado show - Blake has the first scene, after the iconic opening credits of the pilot 'Oil'. He is initially in the library but then is driven off in his black limo, as he leaves the mansion on business. DYNASTY

5) Ellie is a new woman - Fresh from her honeymoon with Clayton the pair return from their flight, to be greeted by the family. Ellie is literally a new woman and then hears, "welcome home mama!" DALLAS

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
1. “Disturbed!”
Knots Landing

Featuring a gorgeous blue Mercedes SL

Greg makes a casual threat as Abby departs, then instantly regrets it when she reverses her Merc towards him at speed. It’s made more enjoyable in the aftermath by the sarcastic fluttering of her eyelashes and the “next time I won’t miss” smile.

2. Haircut 101
Knots Landing

Featuring a sinister black limousine with pop-up barber’s chair

In real time, months passed between Knots’s 100th episode and the 101st, which respectively marked the end of the Fifth Season and the beginning of the Sixth. In soap time, however, mere minutes passed, which makes it quite a feat for Mark St Claire to shear Abby’s enormous mane into a stylish shaggy bob.

And all in the cramped environ of his limousine’s back seat. Without so much as an “are you going on holiday this year?”

3. Soap Encounters Of The Absurd Kind
The Colbys

Featuring a gas guzzling alien craft with a cinnamon-fragranced Little Tree

You have to admit it’s memorable.

4. “Harry, go…”
Knots Landing

Featuring one of those woody hearses that were apparently rife in Eighties America

Chills

5. Ewing 4 is intercepted
Dallas

Featuring an iconic red Mercedes SL and a noisy helicopter

One of my earliest memories of watching Dallas, in the aftermath of JR’s shooting. And the first time I’d heard the expression “Oh Lord”.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Laura drives away from the Sumner ranch (and Knots Landing) forever, KL. She kept telling herself to keep it together, but I didn't manage to.

2. Harry Fisher pulls away with Val's son as she watches, KL. The cliffhanger that had everything...including a dowdy station-wagon that would have made Karen jealous.

3. The limo carrying Mark St. Claire and Abby pulls away from the Belmar Hotel, KL. Abby's terrified expression; Val in tears; Gary watching them pull away...more great cliffhanger imagery.

4. Val drives away from the cul-de-sac after leaving Gary behind, KL. Another cliffhanger on wheels; thankfully she later came to her senses and returned to the house and threw HIM out for sleeping with that hussy, Abby.

5. Yes, I have to throw Fallon's trip on the UFO into the mix, The Colbys. The aliens' main reason for abducting her? They wanted to know if she would get them Stephanie Beacham's autograph.

Wes takes Ellie on a romantic carriage ride which she enjoys so much that they end up snogging in it
Miss Ellie snogging. Oh, yes....:laughing:

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
5. Alexis Can't offer Krystle a ride.
I never thought I'd use the Reunion in one of these lists, but despite how insultingly bad it was, there was a faint glimmer of...something. Krystle, fresh from her years long comatose state, has arrived back at the mansion only to find none of her family there and everything up for auction. She leaves in a befuddled state only to bump into her old nemesis, Alexis. After Mrs. Colby fills her in on all the Carringtons troubles and woes, she gets in her limo to leave. However, the Grand English Lady can't help but smile through the window and purr, "I'd offer you a ride, but there isn't any room." Only Alexis could make a petty act of spitefulness seem to be completely out of her control, leaving Krystle to gaze at her like a doe in the forest. The scene hearkened back to season 2 when Dynasty was fun. Dynasty: The Reunion

4.Mack can't drive a car with a phone. If I recall correctly the producers of her show, Open Mic, wanted her to have a car with a phone. This is, of course, the 80's, and Mack says, "I'm the kind of guy who makes fun of guys who have phones in their cars!" Much as I love Knots Landing and Mack, sometimes he seemed to be trying a tad too hard to be a "regular guy." That's okay, he's awesome no matter what, and it's the "we're regular folks" sensibility of the show that made it unique among the super soaps. Knots Landing

3. Sue Ellen gets clipped by a car. The previews from the week before made it seem as if Sue Elken gets hit by the car. However, she's fine, except, unbeknownst to her, she was pregnant and the accident caused a miscarriage. Of course, plotwise, this all served to further the JR- Sue Ellen- Peter Richards story, since the paternity was never determined. However, there's a line that stands out. She tells Peter she would have aborted the baby because she never wants to have another one. (In another episode she tells JR he'd never get another child from her.) Sue Ellen's resignation to never have another child seems to come from a sad place. She's in a love less marriage, caught up in another dysfunctional extramarital relationship, and it was at the beginning of this very season she confessed to Pam that she's staying with JR despite the Holly Harwood nightmare because if she's not Mrs.Ewing she doesn't add up to much in life. Sue Ellen could be bitchy, charming, exciting, and self-involved, but this incident conveys an inner core of unhappiness of which she doesn't want another child to be a part. Dallas

4. Bobby and Pam driving to Southfork for the very first time. This drive ushered in not just Dallas, but all the other prime time soaps hot on its trail. The scene was like a little bridge between the more down to earth, innocent(relatively) 70's to the splashy, the bigger the better, more materialistic 80's. It also gave us the best, imho, super couple. Patrick Duffy and Victoria Principal had chemistry to burn, and their love was as important to the show as JR. There are two other supercouples who came very close: Gary and Valene; JR and Sue Ellen(as twisted as it was), but Bobby and Pam were the first and they had something special. Dallas

1. Blake gives Krystle a set of car KEYS. Krystle is pregnant in the beginning of season 2(we all know how that went) sp Blake gives her a car. I think it was a Delorean, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it's the back story of the scene that's important. Apparently, when Blake is handing the keys to Krystle, a producer, writer, showrunner, somebody realized they weren't the kind of keys for that kind of car. I remember reading this story several times back in the day that this person made a big deal about how the keys had to be exactly the kind for a fancy car only the super rich would have. Even as a lad, I was thinking, who's going to notice or care about the keys? Yet, this person was crowing about his attention to detail. This gets my number one spot because it's symbolic of what Dynasty devolved into. Surface over substance. If only someone got that hyped up over the myriad plot holes and bad dialogue that was to come. I don't care if Blake handed Krystle a cork with a nail in it. I'm more disturbed by Fallon #2, Steven #2, Amanda #2, and Krystle #negative 2.
Dynasty

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Return to Eden. The very clever car chase where Jake has just discovered Stephanie’s disguise as Princess Teletha. Jake tried to catch up in his car. Jono the ‘bodygaurd’ Even politely waits at the red traffic light. Lots of fun and and a great ‘what’s going to happen next’ feeling?!

2. Pam and Bobby in his car in Dallas very first ever scene with Pam having the very first line

3. Pam spots Mark Graison’s car in the parking lot after he is supposed to be dead. Super freeze frame moment

4. Alexis can’t fit Krystle’s shoulder pads in the limo in the reunion. Yes reminiscent indeed if early days great Dynasty, if only the mini-series has continued as sharply as this scene...

5. Lucy’s car in a box. Very cute

Runner up Miss Ellie and Jock-or-not-Jock smooch in the carriage and highly commended to Fallon, making a wee jaunt to another world

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. John Ross going down in Ewing Global - DALLAS
upload_2020-5-28_18-29-16.png

He thought he had learned the oil business, but in a last twist he and Pamela are outfoxed by Bobby and Sue Ellen ("for peace in the family").
We've seen male protagonists cry before, but never because they lost a corporate battle. They'd usually vow revenge (as Pamela did in this scene) or get drunk or strangle an ex-wife.
Three seasons of plotting, scheming, whoring and blackmailing - and Momma and Uncle Bobby still hold the keys to the kingdom. You would cry too if it happened to you.

2. Transformation behind the wheels - FALCON CREST

Poor, poor Terry. She loved Michael Ranson so very much but a nasty plane crash prematurely put an end to their dream marriage. But then again, "poor" is only a relative description.
Terry is now a very wealthy widow, and as we watch her driving her car all serious and teary-eyed, she loosens her sexy hair and grins a victorious grin.
This could have happened somewhere else, but I think the driving sequence enhances the Hitchcockian vixen look of this scene.

3. Miss Fallon wants to take you for a ride - DYNASTY

I could mention what's going on in this scene or appreciate it for the unique Fallon & Matthew scene. But what I like the most is the idea of Fallon as the extension of that Carrington power, illustrated by the limousine with chauffeur. It's the kind of shady grandeur that really works for Dynasty, but I don't think they still did it in season 2.

4. Miles high with the Scott sisters - THE COLBYS

Frankie is on the verge of confessing her love for Jason, but Sable takes control of the situation and starts to paint a heavenly picture of the status quo in DYNASTY II Land.
She even apologizes to Frankie, but it's very clear that Frankie is supposed to read between the lines. And so she does, because Sable has checkmated her with words of kindness and understanding.

5. Greg Sumner makes Knots Landing great again - KNOTS LANDING
upload_2020-5-28_19-40-40.png

Gary Ewing and Kate Whittaker are still figuring out how to handle the old Carter couple who refuse to leave their house, a house that sticks out like a very sore thumb on the premises of a future multi-million dollar sports complex.
Greg agrees to give a TV reporter a promotional appetizer only to find the workers standing next to some old house doing nothing.
To show some good American labour spirit he climbs into the bulldozer and heads straight for the Carter house, unaware of the people still living in it. Panic and chaos ensues.
But the beauty of it is that the incident being filmed inadvertently captures Greg Sumner as the caricature of the ruthless industrialist who bulldozes over everything and everyone.

Falcon Crest I

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Fallon goes for a journey in the UFO, in The Colbys
2. A vintage blue convertible is taken for a spin from the Gioberti house and Maggie is behind the wheel, in Falcon Crest
3. Bobby and Pam are married. One of them is more apprehensive than the other, as they head to Southfork in their red Mercedes, Dallas
4. Laura departs the circle in her car for the last time, in Knots Landing
5. The magnificent mansion, the picturesque setting and a limo awaits to chauffeur Blake for the first time on screen, in Dynasty

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was probably too much of a hassle to rent/lease it for repeated appearances, and the insurance companies (both from FC and from the car's owner) were likely antsy about so many sets of hands handling the car. In the 1980s series Scarecrow and Mrs. King, one of the lead characters drove a vintage 1963 Porsche convertible that became such a hassle that they wrote the car going off a cliff (luckily he wasn't in it), then replaced it with a much more mainstream 1984 Corvette.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
1- Holly Harwood´s yacht (Dallas Season 5) If those walls could talk...

2- Ewing Oil two-door elevator (Dallas Season 5 on) If those walls could talk...II

3- Dusty´s helicopter landing in the Cowboys Stadium (Dallas Season 4) A display of the "strength" poor Dusty needed so badly at that time...

4- Mark Graison´s private jet (Dallas Season 5) His flight to Cannes with Pam changed many things in the show... not to mention the use that plane had in the future...

5- Mark St. Claire´s yacht (Knots Landing Season 6) Once again, the Abster using Greggie to do some murdering...

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. JR and Miss Ellie's helicopter visit to the Southern Cross.

A dramatic and emotional scene as Miss Ellie is put on the spot by JR who is desperate to take John Ross back to Southfork. In the end Miss Ellis does the right thing when Sue Ellen pleads with her not to take her son. It's also a notable scene as it's the first time Ellie meets Clayton.

2. Laura gives birth to Daniel in the back seat of a car.

laura daniel.JPG

After having been constantly at odds Richard and Laura pull together to deliver their baby. Daniel is not breathing and Richard gives him mouth to mouth to get him breathing. It's quite a turn around for Richard to be the hero of the piece as just a few episodes before he was having a breakdown and holding the family hostage.

3. Blake drives past the lilypond catfight

lily.JPG

Blake can't quite believe his eyes as he witnesses the first and second Mrs. Carringtons going at it "like a couple of female mud wrestlers".

4. Sable gets shot on a yacht.

After finally deciding to take the plunge with Zac the two are interrupted by Jason. A scuffle with a gun ensues and in a very dramatic moment Sable is accidentally shot.

5. Julia hitchhikes to the Tuscany Valley

Julia is en route to the Tuscany Valley to wreak all kinds of havoc, and as she gleefully tells the guy that picks her up, to bury her mother.