Last edited:

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I have zero respect for the current President of the USA, however his opinion of Donna Reed is to be expected, he'll blame everyone else rather than his own administration! This President is an idiot! How dare he devile Donna Reed's memory. :mad:

Ellie2.jpg

May She Rest In Peace. :rip:

Knots Blogger

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
LOL! I have to admit that when this hit the news, my first thought was not “The Donna Reed Show,” my mind went straight to “Fake Miss Ellie” or “Miss Robot” as my brother and I like to call her.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
LOL was my thought, too. Anti-war activist, progressive, faux Miss Ellie, and a pioneer in helmet hair.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Oh... If only Trump was in Dallas.
In 1963.
November 22 at 12.30pm to be specific, and ridding through Dealey Plaza in an open top limo.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Um... Alexis,
Those of us in Texas are hoping you all will forget about that day.
:shy6:

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Honestly, I don't think there has been a sentence out of his mouth that hasn't been utter rubbish.

Knots Blogger

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don’t like Trump either and I certainly didn’t vote for him but maybe we could leave Trump out of our discussions of beautiful and glorious and wonderful nighttime soaps ?

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Good grief. Can you imagine the blow-back from Barbara Bel Geddes fans if Trump had used her name instead of Donna Reed's? I can just see the internet flooded with memes of Miss Ellie (Barbara Bel) asking Ray to get the shotgun :coffeelaugh:

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don’t like Trump either and I certainly didn’t vote for him but maybe we could leave Trump out of our discussions of beautiful and glorious and wonderful nighttime soaps ?

How about we just leave politics out of the Dallas forum? There are other forums here for discussing politics. We don't bring our Dallas discussions there. Maybe the people who want to talk politics can show this forum the same respect in return.

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Or alternatively, perhaps politicians could leave Dallas stars out of their ramblings.

A "Dallas star" - for just over half of a season.

OK Mel, forget I suggested that we actually use the various forums for what they're designed for. What a ludicrous idea.

As long as you prefer to let politicians dictate which forums are used for what types of topics of discussion, then by all means, let's go with that By the way, excellent example of why there are people who see a politician's job as running their lives for them. That makes things so much simpler, doesn't it?

Gary Ewing would have been a big fan of that type system. Gary Ewing was a compulsive gambler who drank himself into a two week long blackout and got a 15 year old girl pregnant. The Democrat party exists because the Gary Ewings of the world truly need someone to run their lives for them. If you're a "Gary" then you find people like Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden very appealing. Are you a "Gary"?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A "Dallas star" - for just over half of a season.

Yes.

OK Mel, forget I suggested that we actually use the various forums for what they're designed for. What a ludicrous idea.

If a main cast member is mentioned in the "real world" then there's going to be a degree of interest from fans. It's to be expected. The Dallas forum doesn't operate in a vacuum and there's going to be some crossover in the name of engagement.

Rather like someone starting a Dallas trivia game when there's already a games forum. Nobody panicked then.

Trump does elicit strong feeling in people. Since his contribution to the Dallas forum is confined to one thread the simplest solution for someone who finds this bothersome is simply to avoid that thread and instead enter one of the hundreds of other Dallas threads that exist.

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes.

If a main cast member is mentioned in the "real world" then there's going to be a degree of interest from fans. It's to be expected. The Dallas forum doesn't operate in a vacuum and there's going to be some crossover in the name of engagement.

Rather like someone starting a Dallas trivia game when there's already a games forum. Nobody panicked then.

Trump does elicit strong feeling in people. Since his contribution to the Dallas forum is confined to one thread the simplest solution for someone who finds this bothersome is simply to avoid that thread and instead enter one of the hundreds of other Dallas threads that exist.

"A&Q" is a Dallas game too. There was already a precedent set there.

A thread like this sets a precedent for using this forum for other threads that are designed to elicit discussion about our president. If it's alright for this thread, how can you say it's not alright for other threads too?

Realize that not everyone enjoys politics. Some people actually use places like this to get away from political discussion.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
"A&Q" is a Dallas game too. There was already a precedent set there.

But you got very bothered by this thread on the grounds that people should "use the various forums for what they're designed for."

Did you object to the earlier games thread on that basis, or does this line of reasoning only apply if the thread doesn't interest you?

If it's alright for this thread, how can you say it's not alright for other threads too?

If Boris mentions tomorrow that he did The Body Principal workout while recuperating then I dare say someone might find that of interest enough to post. But let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Some people actually use places like this to get away from political discussion.

The latter part of post #12 had a whiff of the political to it, I thought.

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Agree with KC. It's also why I stopped watching NFL. Can we move this to the SPORTS NEWS POLITICS thread? It doesn't seem appropriate here.

Otherwise, once started, I fear the onslaught of political threads will ruin the fun of this chat site. After all, if one is allowed, then to be fair, all should be allowed. And "there goes" SOAPCHAT.

Last edited:

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But you got very bothered by this thread on the grounds that people should "use the various forums for what they're designed for."

Did you object to the earlier games thread on that basis, or does this line of reasoning only apply if the thread doesn't interest you?

I didn't see anyone objecting to the idea of having Dallas oriented games in a Dallas forum. I didn't see anyone using that thread in a way that was a possible detriment to the forum. Here, I did see evidence that bringing a subject usually reserved for its own forum actually bothered people. Trivia games aren't divisive in the way that politics are. I suspect that at least on some level, you realized that already.

If Boris mentions tomorrow that he did The Body Principal workout while recuperating then I dare say someone might find that of interest enough to post. But let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

You're the super moderator. If you want to set the precedent that we can use the Dallas forum to insult the politics of each other's countries and insult the people their countries have elected, have at it. I don't think it will be good for the forum, but I'm not on the Soapchat staff. I can only make suggestions.

The latter part of post #12 had a whiff of the political to it, I thought.

I hope so! That was the intent. It's an example of how divisive it can be to bring politics into this forum. I had a choice: I could either say I think this is a divisive trend for the forum, or I could show you exactly what that divisiveness looks like. It wasn't my first choice. My first choice was to suggest that we leave political talk in the politics forum. Somehow it seemed reasonable. You responded "Alternatively, perhaps politicians could leave Dallas stars' names out of their ramblings."

OK. I suggest we take accountability for where we post what we post and you respond by suggesting we make the politicians accountable for where we post what we post?

It's up to you, but at least realize that when you set the standard for self accountability at zero, then anything goes. I happen to think it will be detrimental to the forum. My "Are you a Gary" post mentions Gary Ewing. Its even describes him, so it's Dallas related. I've got to think that people are bright enough to realize that post wasn't designed for us to talk about Gary Ewing any more than this thread was designed for us to discuss Donna Reed.

When you've got a thread where the topic of the thread leads to someone posting how they wish a country's political leader had been assassinated, that's a pretty good indication that it's going to make things divisive. I don't recall a time when that type of discussion has ever improved the atmosphere of a forum. Can you?

I wasn't "very bothered" that some people want to argue politics. It did bother me some that they want to do it here; that's the difference. I like to talk and argue about politics from time to time, but only where the other people around me want that type of talk.

It did bother me some that people want to take what belongs in the politics forum and bring it here because I think there are some people who specifically come here to get away from divisive topics like politics or religion. For them, this may even be an escape from that type of thing. It may be the only place where they can get away from it. Yes, I can enjoy arguing politics but I have to think of them too. I have places where I can go to discuss politics if I want, but where do they have to go if they do want to get away from politics for a while?

I don't see the precedent you're allowing as a positive for the forum, but maybe you do. Again, I'm not staff, nor do I want to be. I can only make suggestions.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But it's not really a political thread, is it? It wouldn't have been posted here if Trump had mentioned Joan Collins or Donna Mills.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
But it's not really a political thread, is it? It wouldn't have been posted here if Trump had mentioned Joan Collins or Donna Mills.

Quite. It is - or was - a lighthearted thread about a topical comment that's related to a member of the main Dallas cast. The title and the first post make it perfectly clear why it is here in the Dallas forum.