V

rlr718

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
Medals
V was one of the amazing tv events of the 80s. Airing in May, 1983 as a two part miniseries. The following year in May, 1984 it continued with V: The Final Battle. That September a weekly series debuted lasting for only 1 season.
Did anyone else watch these? This is one of my favorites from when I was a kid.

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
Reaction score
Medals
I certainly remember watching V doing it's original run. How could one forget Diana (Jane Badler) and their red 1980's space alien fashion.

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Who can forget JB biting the head off that mouse? (Easy, folks--they subbed a chocolate one at the last second). I also loved that scene where someone (Kate Vernon?) approached their leader at a press conference and ripped the latex mask off to expose the reptilian skin underneath.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
Who can forget JB biting the head off that mouse? (Easy, folks--they subbed a chocolate one at the last second). I also loved that scene where someone (Kate Vernon?) approached their leader at a press conference and ripped the latex mask off to expose the reptilian skin underneath.
Kate Vernon was also in the reboot of Battlestar Galactica. She must like the sci-fi roles.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
The starchild baby with the reptile tongue was such a great shocker in a Rosemary's Baby kind of way, I don't feel it needed to be topped by the full-on-reptile twin brother.

Jason73

Admin
Reaction score
Medals
I loved V when I was a kid. I own the mini-series and the regular TV series but haven't watched in years. I've rewatched the mini-series a few times and always enjoy it. The tv series doesn't hold up as well.

I had a such a crush on Donovan when I was a kid.

I also read all the spinoff books in the book series.

1600227410103.png

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
I too enjoyed the show and I really enjoyed the 2009-2011 show, I was disappointed when it was cancelled.

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Showing my age, I thought they were talking about the series that aired around 1984-85, which was a year or so after the Visitors were originally defeated. I had no idea they rebooted it in 2009.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
LOL, I had that one too (translated version)
De bronafbeelding bekijken

To be honest, it wasn't a great read but since DVDs weren't available, and there was no market for complete series on VHS in Holland (just a few rental copies of mini-series) I used to buy all the novelizations of my favourite TV series. Or the original novels in case the series was based on that novel.
1600289225209.png

:bag:
I also read all the spinoff books in the book series
There are more? And what does that spin-off world look like? Who's in it?

Crimson

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
I loved V as a kid. I know I watched the two mini-series and, I assume, the series as well. I bought the DVDs when they were released, but promptly decided to not watch them. Basically, I didn't want to wreck my fond -- if vague -- memories of the series. I can't help but fear I would find it dusty and sluggish now.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
I didn't want to wreck my fond -- if vague -- memories of the series
It's always a great risk rewatching a childhood favourite from an adult point of view. But quality is timeless, and then it doesn't matter how dated it looks.
Sometimes it actually looks better than I remembered. I'm not saying this is the case with "V".
V was certainly not the first invaders from space story, and yet they managed to create an almost topical atmosphere, there was something grand about the way it was presented.
The sequel series looked exactly like that: a spin-off-ish continuation with little regard for the original concept. But at least it's trashy fun.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
there was something grand about the way it was presented.
Come to think of it, maybe it was the format itself (a prime time tv mini-series) that gave it so much impact.
Sci-fi (like horror) is a form of entertainment that usually mostly appeals to the fans of the genre, but V was presented in a more mainstream format, thus gathering more viewers than a late night sci-fi movie would do.
I mean, even my mother watched it.

Jason73

Admin
Reaction score
Medals
Or the original novels in case the series was based on that novel.
How was Lace as a book? It would be one I might be interested in reading. Did you think it was well written? (And by well written, I mean--is it a juicy page turner?)

There are more? And what does that spin-off world look like? Who's in it?
There were quite a few--maybe ten or so. They took place in different parts of the US. Some of them involved Donovan and Julie or Diana and others involved different branches of the resistance movement. Some of them tied into the TV series.

I can't help but fear I would find it dusty and sluggish now.
I re-watched the mini-series a few years ago and it was slow but I still enjoyed it. The TV series afterwards, was a different story. I didn't get past the first episode. Dusty and sluggish is a good way to put it.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
How was Lace as a book? It would be one I might be interested in reading. Did you think it was well written?
I think the book is better than the tv series, and it had a fourth "mother" candidate (actually, she was the most interesting character).
Rewatching LACE on DVD, however - to quote Crimson - "wrecked my fond memory of my first watch" back in the 1980s. It was so awful I couldn't even finish it.
Yes, it does happen every now and then.

As for LACE II, the novel is just as rubbish as the sequel mini-series.

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Im not a huge V fan but remember it airing on UK TV in the summer at the same time as the LA Olympic games

I was never a sci fi fan