• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Victoria - 40 years of Dallas

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I won't ask you to pick a favorite, but does any storyline stand out when you look back as something you loved doing?
I absolutely adored every episode the first five years. But if asked to single out one storyline it happens to be one that I was not featured in - the storyline involving Miss Ellie’s mastectomy. This was at a time when breast cancer was not openly discussed and I was so proud to be part of a show that explored and exposed the pain, fear, confusion and effects of breast cancer on a woman and everyone in her family.

Before the episodes on Dallas, breast cancer was whispered about in secrecy and fear. These episodes opened a national dialogue about an illness that affects too many women to this day. It took breast cancer out of the shadows and brought it into an open conversation. I was so proud of Barbara Bel Geddes and her performance. Just telling you this is simultaneously giving me goose bumps and making me cry. I shared all of this privately with Barbara…she was my hero.

mine too Victoria - she has great taste and appreciates a great talent
Still dont know where BBG got the strength to relive it once more, a very gutsy lady

"I’m not going to say what I did, but I took the necessary hours to think about it and met with my attorneys and the producers."

Yikes! They shouldn't have fxcked with her!

I agree, she was no push over and I love the fact that she didnt let them walk over her, back in the 80s and when it came to the TNT fiasco

Thanks BF for posting the Victoria interwiew it was very nice to her to share her Dallas memories with us ,I really like it :kiss::kiss:

It was former forum member Tessie who sent me it! I love it too!

B.J. Ewing

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And if she was to meet Pat D now I hope she would tell him to get that ridiculous pony tail cut off! That would be grounds for divorce in my book

Couldn’t decide between Agree and Funny, but your pony tail remark made you a Winner.

K

Karin Schill

Thanks for sharing the new articles. Reading that Victoria still speaks to fondly about her time on Dallas and the Bobby & Pam relationship put a big smile on my face. :)

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Another great Victoria interview c/0 Tessie and with People magazine. Again what a bright, smart, intelligent women and yes Id kill to meet her!

Victoria Principal, Now Rescuing Animals on Her California Ranch, Revisits Dallas 40 Years Later

Forty years have passed since the Ewing family first started bringing the drama in Dallas. When the show launched in April 1978, star Victoria Principal, who played Pamela Barnes, knew the series would go on to have a monumental run.

“When I went in for the part on Dallas, I had already fallen in love with the show and with the part,” Principal, 68, tells PEOPLE. “So my feeling from the moment I read it was that it was incredibly special and that I really, really wanted to be a part of it. I could not imagine not being Pam.”

Principal landed the role and spent nine years on Dallas.

“The first five years were some of the best television I’ve ever seen,” she says. “And then after year seven, there was a definitive decline. At year seven, it was time for me to renegotiate my contract and I was very candid about my concern and my disappointment; that we had had such good writing and so many wonderful plots, and that when the time came to renegotiate the writers’ contracts, I felt that a number of writers had left because they had not gotten the right deal.”

So after two more years on the hit drama, a pregnant Pamela died in a car accident. “I wanted an ending that was definitive,” the Japan-born actress says. “And I certainly felt that being blown up was definitive.”

As Dallas continued for five more seasons, Principal went on to appear in numerous TV movies, some of which she produced through her production company, before stepping away to focus on her health and wellness projects. She wrote her first of four books, The Body Principal, in 1983, and launched her skincare company, Principal Secret, in 1991.

“By the time I turned 50 I felt that I wanted to make a change in my life,” Principal says of ultimately leaving Hollywood after appearing in NBC’s Titans between 2000-01. “My interest had shifted in such a way that to not pursue my passion, which more and more really was my skincare company and creating products that could help many people.”

Since 2012, Principal has had a ranch outside of Los Angeles where she rescues and rehabilitates animals. When TNT relaunched Dallas that same year — complete with original cast members Patrick Duffy, Larry Hagman, Steve Kanaly, and Linda Gray — Principal didn’t want to revisit Pam’s story.

Aside from reuniting with her costars in 2004 for a CBS special, Principal hardly talks to fellow stars.

“There were phone calls, but I didn’t really have get-togethers,” admits Principal. “We never hung out really anyway. We worked together and we had different lives. When I started the show Patrick was married and starting a family, Steve was married and starting a family, Larry was married with children, Linda was married with children. I was single. And so those are very different lifestyles.”

But she’s thrilled that new generations are experiencing the iconic drama. “I’m happy, based up all the emails that I’ve gotten, that people are introducing their children or their grandchildren to Dallas,” Principal says. “I’m so excited that people continue to remember Dallas.”

K

Karin Schill

Thanks for sharing that article from People magazine. It was great. :)

Interesting how they refer to that Pam was pregnant when she died in the car crash though as I have never heard that before.

Also Pam being blown up would have been more definite ending if they hadn't saved her and brought her to the hospital as a mummy for weeks. After they went through all that trouble to keep Pam alive on the show it really was a shame that Pam never came back since the door was definitely still open for her to return. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for sharing that article from People magazine. It was great. :)

Interesting how they refer to that Pam was pregnant when she died in the car crash though as I have never heard that before.

Also Pam being blown up would have been more definite ending if they hadn't saved her and brought he to the hospital as a mummy for weeks. After they went through all that trouble to keep Pam alive on the show it really was a shame that Pam never came back since the door was definitely still open for her to return. :(

They shot themselves in the foot by not killing Pam off.

It's funny how the most interesting thing about Dallas since Pam went into the oil tanker, in terms of getting people talking, is the character of Pam and Victoria Principal's refusal to ever return to the role. We had the mummy figure in Season 11, Margaret Michaels briefly as Pam in the first episode of Season 12, a Pam lookalike named Jeanne O'Brien played by Margaret Michaels in Season 13, and then the whole speculation abound with TNT Dallas about whether Pam was coming back and then Victoria squashing all the rumours with one message. For somebody who left Dallas in 1987 and never returned, it's amazing how Victoria Principal and the character of Pam continued to be relevant even when she hadn't been in the show for so long.

Plenty of people have said that they can't imagine Dallas without the villainous J.R. and I agree. I also can't imagine Dallas without Pam. These two represent the main moral conflicts going on in the show (Pam the moral centre who always tries to do right by everyone, and J.R. the ruthless and raw businessman who has no principles beyond Ewing Oil's profits and the Ewing standing), but Pam is the key link to all the relationships and feuds. She is a Barnes and married to Bobby from the rival Ewing family, so that's a feud in itself and plays into Bobby and J.R.'s feud, and into J.R. and Cliff's feud, and into Jock and Digger's renewed fallout in the early period of Dallas. Take Pam away, and it doesn't mean as much, as Season 11 showed. And also, none of the new characters introduced after that (Seasons 12-14) were engaging, quite the opposite; and J.R. seemed to have a personality transplant.

Last edited:
K

Karin Schill

Thanks for your input Mustard. I find it interesting to read your perspective considering that you didn't watch the show until some 10-14 years ago when it was first released on DVD. That gives you a different perspective compared to everyone who watched the original run.

I think you are right about Pam, she was very important to the show and it was never the same without her. Then again considering that the show was originally created to be about Bobby and Pam and the Barnes-Ewing feud that is not so surprising.

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks, Karin. Yes, it's true that Dallas was mainly supposed to be about Bobby and Pam originally, and the Romeo and Juliet factor of their relationship and marriage. But as Bobby is married to Pam and they're in love etc., who acts as the moral opponent to what Pam believes? It's J.R. Ewing.

Bobby might share Pam's views on a lot of things in going against J.R., but Bobby is firmly a Ewing in terms of business and isn't really connected much to the emotional side of the Barnes family like Pam is. Pam has feet in both camps, as she is both a Barnes (by upbringing) and a Ewing (by marriage), and J.R. is the distilled essence of Jock's most ruthless business side with very little of Jock's good side. And with Miss Ellie, you have the family factor, with her having feet in 3 camps in some ways, as a former girlfriend of Digger's back in the 1930s, a Southworth by blood, upbringing and sentiment, and a Ewing by marriage. All this, with the links and conflicts, mixing in soap opera and serious drama, is what made Dallas really tick for so long. It is false to just see it as the J.R, show, as some did. J.R. was a hugely important character, but the dynamic in the show and between the characters was even more important.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
“The first five years were some of the best television I’ve ever seen,” she says. “And then after year seven, there was a definitive decline.

Heh. I still say she reads this site. Along with her lawyer. Which is herself. :lol:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Heh. I still say she reads this site. Along with her lawyer. Which is herself. :lol:

well I hope she does and i would just love to say Id kill to meet her, she is THEE Dallas cast member Id do anything to meet and would cross oceans and continents to see

I know she will not appear at a Dallas event - she doesnt need to - or to sell her pics and photos and autographs

but it would make a BBG/VP fan very happy and would be the icing on the cake with a cherry on top
and I could die happy! LOL

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh yes please BF. That would be a dream come true! @Barbara Fan and I would LOVE to meet you Victoria :) if you ever want to visit Scotland or New Zealand (come in summer!) and Barbara Fan and I will be two of the happiest people on the planet ;-)

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Oh yes please BF. That would be a dream come true! @Barbara Fan and I would LOVE to meet you Victoria :) if you ever want to visit Scotland or New Zealand (come in summer!) and Barbara Fan and I will be two of the happiest people on the planet ;-)
And Sssspainnnnn!!!! Pleeeeeease VP!!:spinning:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity...ipal-pictures-Dallas-Pamela-Barnes-Ewing-pics

Hot hot hot!
Victoria Principal in pictures: 40 years since Dallas first aired

VICTORIA PRINCIPAL is an American actress who is best known for playing Pamela Barnes on soap opera Dallas. Take a look back at the TV star 40 years since the American show first aired.

Victoria Principal: The former Dallas star in pictures (Image: Getty)
Victoria Principal, 68, shot to fame playing Pamela Barnes Ewing in prime time American soap Dallas in 1978.

Pamela and her husband Bobby Ewing, played by Patrick Duffy, were one of the most popular TV couples of the time.

The actress played the character for nine years and was nominated for a Golden Globe Award in 1983 for Best Actress in a Television Series.

After leaving the iconic television show Victoria started her own production company creating and starring in several TV movies.

She then launched her own line of skincare products called Principal Secret and and became a best-selling author of well-being and health books.

Her first book, The Body Principal (1983) spent 12 weeks on the New York Times best seller list and became the very first number one in the ‘Advice, How To and Miscellaneous’ section when it launched in 1984.

The Japanese-born actress didn’t return to the show when it was rebooted in 2012 and continues to concentrate on her skincare company.

Take a look back at Dallas star Victoria Principal in pictures.

Victoria Principal shot to fame playing Pamela Barnes Ewing in Dallas (Image: Getty)

Victoria played the character for nine years (Image: Getty)

Pamela and Bobby were one of the most popular TV couples of the time (Image: Getty)

Victoria Principal was popular in the 1980s (Image: Getty)

Victoria Principal pictured in 1982 (Image: Getty)

Victoria was nominated for a Golden Globe Award in 1983 (Image: Getty)

Victoria Principal poses for a portrait in 1985 in Los Angeles (Image: Getty)

The actress launched her own line of skincare products called Principal Secret (Image: Getty)

Dallas first aired in 1978 (Image: Getty)

Her first book, The Body Principal, spent 12 weeks on the New York Times best seller list (Image: Getty)

Victoria Principal and Elliott Gould in the film I Will, I Will...For Now, 1975 (Image: Getty)

Victoria Principal during 9th Annual American Music Awards in LA (Image: Getty)

Victoria starried in several TV movies during the eighties (Image: Getty)

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks BF. That’s super! Lol they got several of the years wrong when those photos were taken but hey ho most people nowadays wouldn’t know that. Very complimentary and she’s gorgeous. Great to see her still in the news :) thanks for posting! Love to see her on a uk front cover again...