Days of Our Lives Watching Days of Our Lives

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Oh wow, I had no idea Cady was starting as Jennifer this week. What a nice surprise at the end of today’s episode.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
"XYZ Actor has been hired, and is taping currently. His first episode is expected to air in early 2022."

:D

The funny thing is, they didn't do an announcement at all. All of a sudden, Jack, who wasn't in any of the prior scenes for that episode is in the second to last scene talking to some blonde woman and it took me a second to figure out that it was Cady and that it was Jennifer. I don't even think he called her Jennifer during the scene, so people who have no idea about the casting change are probably wondering what Dixie or Rosanna is doing in Salem.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I remember Ron saying in Soap Opera Digest that they were off track with their episodes because some summer sporting event that would have preempted Days didn't happen. So to get back on track they inserted an "event" to fill up a week or two to get the scripts back on track. Yesterday appears to have been the beginning of the "event" which is a blackout and prison break--with Orpheus and Rolf and Clyde all escaping to wreak havoc on Salem . . . again.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It could have been Wimbledon, which was always a week (or more) of pre-emptions of all NBC soaps in late-June/early-July. The original plan might have been to pre-empt for the whole two weeks. Then there is (was) the Summer Olympics, but those events typically get divided up among all the NBC/Universal networks.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It could have been Wimbledon, which was always a week (or more) of pre-emptions of all NBC soaps in late-June/early-July. The original plan might have been to pre-empt for the whole two weeks. Then there is (was) the Summer Olympics, but those events typically get divided up among all the NBC/Universal networks.

Yup. They wrote eight episodes that will fill out the original pre-emptations to get it back on track for holiday episodes and such.

Sarah Danner

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh wow, I had no idea Cady was starting as Jennifer this week. What a nice surprise at the end of today’s episode.
And what a sweet treat it is. Big fan of hers going way way back. As for Melissa Reeves, stay where you are.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I LOVE having JJ back. I wish he was staying.

I also enjoyed Jennifer and Kate's confrontation. Cady and Lauren would make formidable enemies. Cady just has so much more backbone than Melissa. I wish she was staying.

Also very excited to see Mr. Shin in Salem. I wish he was staying.

1605926416235.png

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
NBC is the best network to show what kind of crime rape is, thanks for Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Other primetime dramas are also delivering good work when it comes to rape stories. That's why I don't get who's greenlighting that rape stuff on Days. No rapist on Days is ever really guilty, there are always excuses. He might be in love with an alter ego of a mental ill woman like Stefan or be treated bad by his mother like Charlie. Days is the worst example for the issue rape of any show, not just soaps.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
No rapist on Days is ever really guilty, there are always excuses. He might be in love with an alter ego of a mental ill woman like Stefan or be treated bad by his mother like Charlie. Days is the worst example for the issue rape of any show, not just soaps.

The current rape story has been extremely cringe worthy, to say the least--poorly conceived and thought out. In recent history (maybe since Ron took over) the show has been terribly tone deaf--like for example playing out the story of a police officer shooting an unarmed black man and the focus of the story was feeling sorry for the police officer.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Kristen is portrayed as poor misunderstood woman who only reacts (killing etc) if she is forced to, as if she had no choice. Now Ava is back and this story seems to repeat.

There are parts of Days I still enjoy, but there are some episodes that are hard to watch, because they feature too many unlikeable characters.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Not to mention Ben, the former serial killer, being shoved down our throats as the show's leading man.

I agree with you completely--there are parts of Days that are still quite enjoyable and when those parts are being featured, watching the show is like comfort food for me. It's a shame about all the other parts.

Last edited:

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
When a new episode starts and I see Ben is in it, I'm worried about what's to come. Recently he had scenes with Shawn, whom I like, so it was better to watch, but all that Ciara stuff was torture. I also don't like Ben and Nu-Claire together. All these things I enjoyed about Claire are gone with the new actress.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
When a new episode starts and I see Ben is in it, I'm worried about what's to come.
I'm laughing because that is so much me too when I start an episode.

All these things I enjoyed about Claire are gone with the new actress.

I actually really like the actress, but I wish she wasn't playing Claire. They've taken everything that was quirky and unique and fun about Claire and wiped it away with the new actress. I'd prefer she was playing Allie. I also do not want her with Ben. I'd rather have her with Tripp. I liked her with Charlie. I liked Charlie but I suspected from the start he wasn't going to be a long term character. There's something about the actor playing Charlie that I really like.

Sarah Danner

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No rapist on Days is ever really guilty, there are always excuses.
Prime example: Dr. Bill Horton, who raped Laura because he "loved" her so much and wasn't able to be "with her" since she was married to Mickey. So naturally in his drunkenness, he proved his "love" to her through rape. Pig.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Ava who forced Steve to having sex with her can't believe her son Tripp could be a rapist and calls victim Allie a bitch, but she doesn't care her other son Charlie raped Allie. Ava and Kristen the female rapists of the show getting along very weil at least fits.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Gwen is starting getting on my nerves, but it's not the actress' fault, it's the writers. Chad is not looking good either right now.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Why is Days looking so cheap compared to NBC's Telemundo telenovelas? No telenovela got as much viewers as Days. Right now among women 18 - 49 Days got 0.4 same as Telemundo's Falsa Identidad II at 10pm. Among women 18 - 34 Falsa Identidad II is ahead of Days by 0.1.

Why is NBC giving telenovelas on locations shoots, a big cast and great looks while Days gets nothing at all?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd hazard a guess that Days is still more expensive to produce because of salaries--not just the actors, but the production team and crew members. The unions have set a lot of baseline salaries that have to be paid if you want to work in Los Angeles. A lot of the telenovelas probably have non-union shops and film in non-traditional places that allow them to hire cheaper labor. Another guess would be that NBC sees a lot more potential for growth in the Latin market and throws more money at them, hoping it will produce higher ratings and commercial revenue over time.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Maybe it's fun for Ron C having his second OLTL lady playing Vivian but I just want Louise Sorel back.