• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
you can bet Hal would be the one to kidnap them and then blow his own brains out.
I really liked Hal Mason, he was involved with various plotlines and I never knew how he was going to react.
the Ramberg offices just look so cheap and nasty. S&D always looks at its tackiest when it goes offset and onto real locations where they seem to have less control over the lighting and sound
But Ramberg's reception, although not exactly Trump Tower, looked like the real thing. And they've done at least one scene inside a real house and I thought it looked quite nice. It feels very different from the stage scenes, something about the sound being somewhat absorbed by all the real stuff and carpeting...I don't know.
Incidentally, all sounds produced by various equipments sound extremely loud.

Even when they don't, but for storyline purposes they need to hear it, e.g. at some point they are sitting inside the car and Gordon can hear the phone ringing in the hallway.
How were they ever going to have a private conversation inside the house?

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Your reviews are all brilliant. Thank you!

Yes I don’t know what it is about Andy either. I never liked him at all first time round (like you couldn’t put my finger in it either quite why) and he’s in it til the end of the series! He was hailed a sex symbol in Australia?!

Martin was a really good actor but very heavy to watch. He played the crocodile hunter in RTE. Rough in that to but great casting. Loved Peter, such a Sweetie.

Yes Fiona did become more sanctimonious. Shame about that. Irene was cool

You might find some fast forwarding scenes when you reach 1985. Annie Jones from pre Neighbours character reaches new heights of lack of watchability and Tim Palmer and his girlfriend soooo boring. Stick it out though, it does get good again in 1986 til the end

Lol Willie your comment about Terry’s chest. Too funny. Too true. Where do I find the poll you speak of?

Mel your almost half way through the show!

Anyway thank you all again for your fantastic write ups, look forward to reading more :)

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He was hailed a sex symbol in Australia?!
I think I can see why. He's got that popular "David Cassidy" look, but with a dash of Euro-exoticism. Very Dutch/German looking, come to think of it.
I'm sure he did great in all the girlie magazines!
Stick it out though, it does get good again in 1986 til the end
And I have Matt Kennedy's phone number, just in case:lol:
Where do I find the poll you speak of?
Oops, the polls are closed at the moment. I think the hairy chest has won?

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh my goodness. The first half of Episode #248 was a tour de force. Someone finally ranted at the dysfunction and selfishness. It was pretty bloody epic and I wanted to stand up and cheer.

Wasn't it just?? I actually thought this was going to be more of a slow burner, the affair and the who's the daddy story line, but it's call come crashing down pretty quickly in spectacular fashion. Poor, poor Angela. All she wants is it all, and she doesn't want to hurt anyone, so why do these bad things keep happening to her? It doesn't seem fair. First she's the first, and probably only, woman to have a mystery complication that requires her to not move for 7 months, and then her pesky husband ruins her goodbye with her bf, and as if that wasn't bad enough, the two selfish bastards cause her to have a miscarriage.

I'd be so rooting for Kevin and Peter as a romantic couple, but I know that's not going to happen.

I guess not but they would be such a cute couple, it's true.

Margaret is very, very greedy, and personally I find that more interesting than whatever it is that Patricia has in store for Martin. Nothing good, that's obvious.
The sister-feud itself is exhilarating, Richard Channing is going to love all the bitchery.

Oh indeed I am. Margret is a fascinating character, and I have no idea where all this scheming and backstabbing is going to end up, but I'm looking forward to the twists and turns and scores being settled.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I just can't believe how much has happened in these last 5 episodes!

Beryl Palmer is becoming more and more involved with the world of 80s high finance, much to David's chagrin, and Victor Hardy's disapproval.
"Lunch? And doesn't come home till 5 in the afternoon?"

Robin is my man now, he's like a smooth and clever version of Wayne.
He talks Amanda into a big scheme, the classic scenario of the secret miscarriage/fake pregnancy.
I think Betty Anderson Harrington was the first soap-minx who did it, well at least in prime time.
Amanda doesn't handle it very well and that's why Robin decides to make Patricia Amanda's protector and co-conspirator.

Jill convinces Gordon that the attempted rape was a set-up. They confront Patricia and then suddenly there's so much to & fro blackmail and ultimatums going on I wouldn't even know how to describe it.
Patricia to Robin: I have just been speaking to a couple of people who think they've got ME over a barrel. Are they in for one hell of shock!

That shock certainly applies to Wayne and Amanda when Robin reveals his blackmail plans. And then he wants more!
Wayne screams blue murder, but I can't help feeling a little satisfied. After all, the whole thing started with his greed.

The O'Briens are moving in, and their house looks significant larger than the Palmer's, probably because of the high ceilings.
I was a little confused to learn that Heather is married to Mike, not Jim. I'm so sure there was a Jim.
Son Jeff gets one of the best newcomers storylines when he unexpectedly becomes involved with David and Margaret's affair-in-progress.
It's revealed that he had also witnessed an adulterous tête-à-tête between his father and his secretary, which explains why he reacts so strongly to what's going on next door.
Heather O'Brien comes across as a nervous and apologetic person, a real Desperate Housewife, as it were.

Jill blurts out that Patricia's accusations are false, but Stephen sees no reason to believe her. But apparently there's reason enough to become a tiny little bit suspicious.
The follow-up conversation between him and Patricia is fascinating to watch.
Patricia can't let Stephen know that she is indeed trying to lure him away from Woombai, and she's clutching at straws to make a case for leaving Woombai and start a new business elsewhere with the (blackmail) fortune. But at the same time she also has to control her eagerness to prevent Stephen from becoming suspicious. Which he already is, and he's testing her.
It's almost like watching one of those ritual dances.
Eventually, the whole situation blows up and Patricia storms out of the room - ah, but not without a last-minute-twist! Didn't see that one coming.

Margaret, strenghtened in her belief that charity tycoon Beryl is taking her husband for granted, decides to move the affair to the next level.
Well, actually, she's giving Beryl a choice, it's almost the opposite of "I am saying I can have him any time I want".
It's totally absurd and intensely dramatic, it's hardcore soap opera. And now I'm going to take a nap.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
My, but there's been a whole lot of action in this thread in the last 24 hours!

after she makes friends with David again at the wedding, she's back to acting nice and being two-faced -- which in a way is more interesting because she still has something to lose.

I enjoy how Patricia can be sneaky and scheming while being nice to people, then blow up and become overtly rude and then go back to acting nice. It's a credit to the writers and actors that I can understand how she gets away with it and people keep forgiving and forgetting. But it's also not that much of a stretch. There's something underneath it all about people having hope that change can happen and this time it's for real.

It's so clever how they just decide that the twins finding out about David and Patricia's affair is The Worst Thing That Could Possibly Happen and everyone just goes along with it - including the audience.

Yes indeed. But I was still furious when David covered for Patricia by saying Beryl was ill. While Beryl stood there with him perfectly fine.

What I loved most about that scene it is that it doesn't end after John overhears Rob and Wayne talking about the affair -- I mean, the episode ends at that point, but then at the start of the next episode, the scene just carries on and on and on. Rob and Wayne realise he knows and they all just stand there in shock. Nobody knows what to say or do, not even Wayne. Rob just keeps apologising. It's really messy and great. It wouldn't happen in a soap now. They'd cut away to another scene after the initial revelation and then cut back a few minutes later, but it's that initial aftermath that's so fascinating.

It's quite a luxury to see this kind of awkwardness. And reactions to reactions. I'd imagine it's not easy to write and can understand the temptation to cut away from it. And I suppose on the other hand you have the US daytime soaps where scenes seem to get dragged out for two weeks. Thank goodness S&D strikes the balance.

The emotional highpoint of the whole wedding thing is, unexpectedly, John forgiving David for the affair while Patricia looks on. Again, there's a beautifully awkward moment where the two men don't know what to do with each other physically. If it was thirty years later, they might be able to hug, but David ends up just ruffling John's hair and John touches his dad on the arm. It's just so genuine and real.

I'm enjoying some of the more blokey interactions like this. Particularly with soaps being very emotional, it's great to see scenes like this where people seem authentically uncomfortable with it.

Then there's a very brief moment where Lynne is left alone with Patricia in the Hamilton living room. Panicked, she says something like, "Lovely shelves!" Patricia reacts as if she were talking about a precious piece of art and says, "Yes they are, aren't they?" It's a quietly excruciating moment for Lynne and really the only time I've felt anything like sympathy for her.

That moment was a standout for me as well. I've found interactions between Lynn and Patricia quite watchable. There's a servility to Lynn and it's clear she wants to be in good with Patricia even if she doesn't understand why. In their very first scene (just before the shelves comment), she's already apologising for Kevin's behaviour and there was just a hint of duplicity to it. She probably wouldn't have made the apology had Kevin not left the room.

Paul's got a weird Adam Carrington/Steven Cord/werewolf vibe about him. I keep waiting for him to do something evil, or just howl at the moon, but he hasn't yet.

Well, it's early days.

S&D always looks at its tackiest when it goes offset and onto real locations where they seem to have less control over the lighting and sound. The scene where Paul sets foot in his grandfather's office for the first time feels like it should be taking place in the executive suite at Colby Co or Ewing Oil, but instead, it's this cramped little room and with cheap plastic chairs!
But Ramberg's reception, although not exactly Trump Tower, looked like the real thing.
And they've done at least one scene inside a real house and I thought it looked quite nice. It feels very different from the stage scenes, something about the sound being somewhat absorbed by all the real stuff and carpeting...I don't know.

The location work has a charm to it, I think. But the atmosphere is noticeably different.

I remember the Return To Eden mini-series used a lot of locations, like Tara's apartment with a view of Sydney Opera House. And it just felt very Australian. The sound and lighting was probably better than S&D due to the budget and time allowance (although I do remember a cramped kitchen and wicker-heavy furniture), but I just enjoy these little tastes of the real environment.

Incidentally, all sounds produced by various equipments sound extremely loud.

It's the birds and crickets that seem most intrusive to me in the outdoor scenes. Sometimes the dialogue gets lost in there.

all those years of domestic drudgery and pent up Pavlovas and boxes of squashed marshmallows and crushed expectations finally rising to the surface.

Ha. Yes. And who can begrudge her an escape from that.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm sure this is the most friendly advice you'll ever get from Patricia Dunne Hamilton Morrell (Carr).
The confusing part is that they could use almost the exact same lines in a different situation and with different music, and turn it into something conniving and excitingly foreshadowing.
But in this case the story doesn't even hint at the future, or in what way Margaret's decision may or may not affect other people, the Palmers in particular.

I confess to still being confused by Patricia's motive here. It's so ambiguous. Maybe I'm overthinking it because it's Patricia, but it still feels like there's behind it.

Patricia declares war on Fiona Thompson! (and I'm drooling all over my keyboard as I type this).

Any time these two roll up their sleeves is full of promise.

Patricia's villainy reaches an all-time high when she plans to frame Terry for attempted rape, with some help from Robin.
It's just as bonkers as all the other big schemes because it's mostly based on predictions and assumptions of how everyone will react to the situation.

There was almost a pantomime element to this. Patricia has never been so boo-able and hiss-able. It's the most twisted she's been since a previous revenge plot which I won't mention because I think James is just about to reach it.

I applaud the writers for their cleverness to end the rape-saga with a bizarre kind of poetic justice. The whole story is filled with wonderful irony and it's a real payoff for something that had started such a long time ago.
Everything can change in the next episode, but this is how it feels right now.

This weekend I've been watching scenes which have done much the same thing.

he even managed to put on a sad face when Beryl and Lynn said their sad farewells.

Maybe he could hear the soundtrack.

Terry Hansen doesn't have a hairy chest at all.

How had I managed not to notice this?!

Apart from being banished from Woombai, he also finds himself removed from my VIP wank bank. Oh the shame!

Poor Terry. With the start he had it was just doomed not to have a happy ending.

Margaret, strenghtened in her belief that charity tycoon Beryl is taking her husband for granted, decides to move the affair to the next level.
Well, actually, she's giving Beryl a choice, it's almost the opposite of "I am saying I can have him any time I want".

This warning scene reminds me very much of a scene between Jenna and Pam in Dallas. A scene I've referenced just this week in the Recasts thread.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Poor, poor Angela. All she wants is it all, and she doesn't want to hurt anyone, so why do these bad things keep happening to her? It doesn't seem fair.

Yep. She's great at this outlook, isn't she?

I've really enjoyed Angela's selfishness this time round. It's given some great drama as you're seeing now.

Margret is a fascinating character, and I have no idea where all this scheming and backstabbing is going to end up, but I'm looking forward to the twists and turns and scores being settled.

You've every reason to look forward to it, RC. It's good now, but it gets even better!!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My, but there's been a whole lot of action in this thread in the last 24 hours!
We will be on that Most Popular Topics Of The Week list, even if it kills us.
but I just enjoy these little tastes of the real environment.
I'm that sad person who'd pause the video just to see what's on the shelves in the various shops.
It's the birds and crickets that seem most intrusive to me in the outdoor scenes
Yeah, "jump-scare" doesn't even begin to describe it. Tacky!
Patricia has never been so boo-able and hiss-able
Indeed. The thing with Martin's letter was worse, technically, but that was a spontaneous reaction to the situation.
This was just very, very sick. Fiona's desperate plea, and Patricia's reaction to that was downright chilling.
This warning scene reminds me very much of a scene between Jenna and Pam in Dallas
It seemed to me that, after the fire at Woombai, they had de-unhinged Margaret completely - but now I'm not so sure anymore. She actually believed she was doing the right thing!
It's been a while since Beryl had one of her powerhouse moments, but this scene made up for it big time.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
We will be on that Most Popular Topics Of The Week list, even if it kills us.

Either way, that line gets you a sepia freeze frame...

The thing with Martin's letter was worse, technically, but that was a spontaneous reaction to the situation.
This was just very, very sick. Fiona's desperate plea, and Patricia's reaction to that was downright chilling.

Oh yes, absolutely. The previous sick thing I was thinking of happened before the letter and it involved Martin's daughter. ;)

It's been a while since Beryl had one of her powerhouse moments, but this scene made up for it big time.

You'll be glad to know I'm just loving Beryl at the moment.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

The wrap-up of Terry’s storyline was just great. In fact Terry’s arc would rate as one of the most fascinating on the series in my eyes. I’m not sure about Bevan Lee’s “rapist to hero” edict. In fact I think it would do the writers and the character a huge disservice to describe his journey as such. Actually he turned out to be a unique character in that we saw his ugliness first and then got to learn about the other facets of his personality. It’s also worth noting that in the end he stepped up to own his mistakes and faults. And I can’t think of anyone else on this series who has done so at such risk. I’m not sure what a “hero” is exactly, but his actions have a nobility and an honour them. His speech in the courtroom to the sad instrumental of the theme was unexpectedly touching.

Beryl’s “new” suite is uncannily similar to the one Margaret had in her flat. I did appreciate that the old one was given an exit storyline, with Jim sitting down too heavily and going through it. It was a powerful piece of social commentary. Or a nice light moment for Leila Hayes. Take your pick.

Kevin returned from the Middle East on a plane filled exclusively with caucasian faces (including future Neighbours stripper/homebody Daphne as a flight attendant) Unfortunately he sat next to somebody whose British accent was so terrible it caused deafness.

There are two bright spots though. The first, of course, is that Kevin is back. I hadn’t realised I was missing him until there he was. The second is that I’ve found a Lynn mode I thoroughly enjoy as she tries to communicate to her husband by smiling while raising her voice, speaking slowly and half miming - her hands flapping nineteen to the dozen. The touching little notes passed from Lynn and David to Kevin during their one-to-one “conversations” are rather poignant. They might even make it into a Top Ten “props from the series I’d want to own”. And the tears sparkling in Beryl’s eyes on finding out Kevin was alive and well were a thing of beauty. More and more I think Leila Hayes is one of the more consistently watchable aspects of the show.

Who would have thought a character named Liz Smith could be so intriguing*? When Wayne hired another escort I thought the storyline may end up a bit of a yawn. Turns out this is another character I’ve almost forgotten who is more enjoyable than I’d given her credit for. So far the storyline is like a more convoluted version of Dallas’s Survival and Julie’s Return episodes, with Beth Newman thrown in for good measure.

Like hiding the affair from the twins (or indeed, hiding the Ewing boys’ disappearance from Jock) the current “keep-it-from-them-at-all-costs” issue is the Hamiltons’ financial status. The reasons for them being poorer are hidden in the small print of the financial pages, so it’s not for the likes of me - people who don’t have a private stream and only read the occasional Guardian - to understand. But it’s important to Barbara and Wayne that Gordon doesn’t find out owing to his recent heart problems. They’ve had to let the gardener go, and Barbara has taken a top secret club at the golf club, so we know it’s serious. Actually, Barbara working in front of all her social acquaintances saying she can “rely on their discretion” despite how they previously gossiped about her and Gordon is another thing I don’t understand. But she’s a sensible woman so I have to assume she knows what she’s doing.

Anyway, now Liz has fallen for Gordon over games of Scrabble, which grew deeper after he introduced her to his Dickens. Now she’s working gratis after Wayne almost had to let her go because of the financial situation. It’s all very promising because Barbara holds her in such contempt to start with so we know it’s going to get ugly. Already there have been a number of classic Barb acid drops and put downs. Irene has rumbled Liz’s real feelings and immediately confronted her (that’s a score to Irene for not going into a dramatic, Fiona-esque “I know something you don’t know” angst for half a dozen episodes first).

Gordon now knows about the financial crisis. Barbara and Wayne know that he knows. But none of them know how Liz feels. I’m curious about where this one will go.

Jeff has cheated at running by taking steroids, been found out, become a borderline alcoholic, walked into the road mid-argument and got hit by a car, found out he can never run again, been physically abused by his father and left home. Which all sounds quite interesting but actually isn’t greatly so. It’s struck me that the O’Briens’ ties to pre-series - namely Heather knowing David and Patricia since childhood - hasn’t really been exploited too much. Probably because there’s too much else going on to work it in properly.

*Incidentally, I looked up the actress playing Liz. I'm fairly sure this is her. Very accomplished.
I think this might also be her today...

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really liked Liz, funny to think I was watching prostitute storylines and rapists when I got home from school. I dont think I was even in secondary school. Sons and Daughters then flipping over to something like Rentaghost. :dance:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
funny to think I was watching prostitute storylines and rapists when I got home from school. I dont think I was even in secondary school. Sons and Daughters then flipping over to something like Rentaghost. :dance:

Oh God, yes! I remember the 4pm slot on ITV was usually aimed at younger kids with things like Rainbow or Alphabet Zoo.

From Beryl to Bungle in the space of 2 minutes. That's one weird watershed.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh God, yes! I remember the 4pm slot on ITV was usually aimed at younger kids with things like Rainbow or Alphabet Zoo.

From Beryl to Bungle in the space of 2 minutes. That's one weird watershed.

It was weird but wonderful. I think I learnt my morality and what not to do in life from watching soaps so young. It was also creatively inspiring, Barbie in my life would be blackmailing Cindy or cutting the breaks on her pink Caravan. My play was very much Sons and Daughters. I loved it. I need to do what you are doing and view it again.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Well things have gotten pretty damn exciting this last couple of episodes. It's all been happening. Martin's demise has been quite gripping and it's interesting how each Dunne sister's antics have contributed to his suicide. And what an interesting twist that it's now going to look like a murder. It's been a thrilling sequence of events and it looks like it's all about to get a lot more interesting. Obviously David and Angela are suspects, but Patricia, Margret and even Peter could all conceivably be implicated too. This is a very addictive period of the show!

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Well for me this show is really losing the plot now. Its like the writing team took acid over the weekend, came back and just brainstormed a year's worth of plot twists into one week without even bothering to hint at any plausability... Off-screen plane crashes, people falling down stairs, more affairs, blackmail...

I just can't believe how much has happened in these last 5 episodes!
Beryl Palmer is becoming more and more involved with the world of 80s high finance, much to David's chagrin, and Victor Hardy's disapproval.
"Lunch? And doesn't come home till 5 in the afternoon?"

Beryl & David seeming to split up for good all of a sudden over nothing. They were getting on so well again after the shooting, but the writers decided no, David needs another affair, and two contrived rows later he's flung himself into Margaret's arms. (It would be more understandable if he told Beryl it was because of her appalling fashion sense lately. That awful slime green outfit that makes her look like a weird priestess of some religious cult would drive anyone away.) And how stupid Margaret's 'confrontation' scene with Beryl, that would have been so out of character for her to have attempted a few episodes before. I can't keep up with the out-of-character ridiculousness of their behaviours.

Patricia can't let Stephen know that she is indeed trying to lure him away from Woombai, and she's clutching at straws to make a case for leaving Woombai and start a new business elsewhere with the (blackmail) fortune. .

Then all these twists and turns of will Pat get Stephen to leave Woombai, will he find out about her fake assault allegation, and then it all comes out when he walks in to Pat slapping Jill round the face. Then the next episode he suddenly believes Jill and is scheming with her and Gordon to trap Pat into signing the contracts to force her into staying... It's all so fast I can't keep up with the character motivations at the moment - are they trying to get rid of her, set her up, catch her out or all 3? Does Stephen really love her or not? That story has just lot me now, and then they've suddenly split up now and seem to have hated each other all along? Pat suddenly thinks he's a weak failure, when didn't she see that all along? And how can Pat keep blackmailing Wayne so he feels so cornered into running off. Why is he so worried about her threats when she is blackmailing so many other people and then it's not working out? Why didn't he and Amanda just call Pat and Robin's bluff about blackmailing them over the miscarriage? Wayne didn't know Amanda had miscarried at first anyway, so technically he hadn't done anything wrong here. He succumbs to blackmail threats far to easily.

I hope the writing will recover from all this ridiculousness, but I'm determined to catch up with Mel O'Drama into the 400s so i'll keep watching anyway. At least while Pat is still around!

I feel sorry for poor John, I guess he's on his way out soon? I get the feeling the writers either don't like him anymore or his contract is maybe nearly up, but he is not getting ANY plots at all. He just hangs around like an extra in a couple of scenes each episode. He follows Andy round to a gig, then has a chat with Fiona, and then disappears for the rest of the episode. Shame we're losing all the good looking people... Angie, Paul, little Kevin. And bringing in Andy doesn't do it for me either, though I seem to remember he gets a lot handsomer in the opening credits later on?

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

After quite some episodes with no Patricia, I've noticed that Fiona has also been absent for a number of episodes. The last couple of episodes have seen battle lines drawn on a new feud which evokes the spirit of our two absent friends.

Karen Fox is on the scene and has very quickly established herself as a controlling schemer. Already there has been a dinner party scene in which she hosts (well, gatecrashes really, but it was happening at her place) a dinner party and charmingly puts down her new enemy with a series of carefully crafted under the radar put downs ("the ultra-modern look's not everyone's cup of tea", "I didn't mean to be rude but you've been so quiet I almost forgot you were here", "Isn't it lovely to meet someone so down-to-earth for a change?"). It's so very Patricia, trying not to compare them would be an impossible task. There are some significant differences, though. So far she's less artful, complex and fascinating. But it has only been a couple of episodes and while she's no Pat she's certainly proved watchable and entertaining.

And how could she not be entertaining when Karen's prey - the target of her upper middle class landmines - is the one and only Irene Fisher. I'd forgotten what a charismatic, fun and skilled actress Judy Nunn is. With the arrival of her son Todd and his over-protective common law stepmother Karen she has some more meaty scenes and it's wonderful. As you would imagine, Irene hasn't taken Karen's acid drops sitting down. She's showing caution, but when they're alone there's no mistaking that Irene will not prove an easy win for Karen. Their first scene together, in which Karen attempted to talk Irene out of the aforementioned dinner with her son showed Irene at her fighting best:

Nobody's keeping me away from my son. And if you try I promise you'll come off second best... I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm afraid I'm going to be around for as long as Todd wants me. Now if you'll excuse me I have a dinner appointment. I'd offer you a lift but I can't imagine what we'd find to talk about. ...I think I should make one thing very clear: when I fight a battle I win. And nobody is keeping me from my son. Least of all a tarted up girlfriend of my ex-husband. Can I show you the door?

Irene has an ally in Barbara. The friendship between these two is warm enjoyable and genuine and it's a little funny to think that Cornelia's Morag would be the character on the receiving end of similar fighting talk from Judy's Ailsa four years down the line on Home And Away. Foreshadowing Morag, Barbara - having had a conversation with Irene - was imperious, frosty and dismissive when Amanda introduced her to Karen. She managed to pull herself up to an imposing seven foot and glare down her nose, refusing Karen's proffered hand by keeping her arms firmly under the fur she was carrying. It was a marvellous sight to behold.

Some questions have been raised. Like why did Irene not confide in Amanda about Karen's pre-dinner visit. Todd I can understand, but she's bright enough to know that discussing it with Amanda when they were alone, the subject came up and the opportunity was there would have weakened Karen's threat. And why, within ten literal seconds of Karen's frosty encounter with Barbara, did Amanda start spilling all of her aunt's family secrets to this virtual stranger? Unprompted and without so much as a "may I take your coat":

She's not quite herself at the moment. Her family company's just gone on the rocks. ...She's normally very nice, but her husband's been ill and she's been forced to work. And her stepson - my creep of a husband... I shouldn't really be telling you this, but Wayne's had to take a job as a male escort.

She then went on to give Karen details of the company and Wayne's escort agency, conveniently saving Karen a whole lot of time. This undermined the character of Karen in my opinion. Finding out this information on her terms could have shown us how resourceful and determined she really is. Instead, she could not have been more passive. She was virtually handed a gold plated invitation to scheme so that her phone call to Wayne's agency could be read as curiosity if she wasn't so arch about it. In many ways it's the opposite of Patricia, who I associate with resourceful actions paired with an air of ambiguity even to the viewer. As I said though, Karen is at the very least entertaining and I look forward to more shallow scheming in the episodes to come.

Finally, I'm finding Amanda watchable. I cared not a jot for her marital sparring with Wayne. And even less for her girly chats with Lynn (if there's television in purgatory, I'm sure there must be a channel devoted exclusively to Lynn/Amanda, Lynn/Susan or Lynn/Andy scenes). But now that she's interacting with Irene and Todd she seems more interesting, more alive and more human. It's hard to pinpoint why, exactly. But gift horses and mouths.

With Jim being out of the picture for the time being and Luke doing little of any import, the O'Brien's continue to operate mostly in a vacuum with no real connection to the rest of the show. Actually it's worse than that. They do have connections to other characters but we're not seeing them. We just cut from the interesting stuff to the O'Briens. Now and then word will reach the Palmers of what's going on next door, but they don't seem to interact. The gap between the two modest neighbouring houses, it seems, is wider than the gap between Sydney and Melbourne.

Jeff is back home, now on the way to becoming a fully-fledged alcoholic. He also kind of killed the family dog when he left it alone at his hiding place with a box of snail bait. I must say there was some wonderful acting in those final scenes with the cute little dog. Unfortunately it was all from the dog who did a marvellous job of being hungry and then being dead (I didn't see him breath or move his eyelids, which are challenges for any actor I'd think).

The best thing about Jeff's runaway storyline was that he chose to ask Tony Parker to abet him. This meant a brief return for Tony and while most of his scenes were with Jeff, Tony managed to do what the O'Briens hadn't: he popped next door to see David and Beryl. It felt appropriate that his last scene was with Mr and Mrs P., albeit there was no sense of closure as he just kind of drifted off as though he'd be back in the next episode. Still, I suppose he's had a couple of previous exits, so I'll let them off.

Oh - and Kevin being back is wonderful. His delivery seems to have backtracked a little to that strange childlike kind of tone he used early in the series. But that's all the more nostalgically endearing. There's a balance being struck. It's interesting to see the boot on the other foot in terms of the extramaritals. Lynn is quite devastated, despite her own frequent wanders down the primrose path. The storyline of Kev-falling-for-a-colleague-who-then-got-blown-up-as-he-watched-leaving-him-with-PTSD-and-psychosomatic-selective-hearing-loss-only-to-fall-for-her-twin-sister-who-turns-up-on-his-doorstep-causing-him-to-lose-his-grasp-on-reality sounds absolutely ridiculous. But I'm believing it. Kev - a character I was almost glad to see the back of by the very end of his previous stint - is back to being the loveable and cheeky/sensitive young bloke we knew in Season One. No matter what the plot, if the character feels truthful I'll take it. The current state of play hints at yet more endings. But promising ones, perhaps.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Its like the writing team took acid over the weekend, came back and just brainstormed a year's worth of plot twists into one week without even bothering to hint at any plausability... Off-screen plane crashes, people falling down stairs, more affairs, blackmail...

It did seem to get particularly pacey around this point but I didn't find it off-puttingly so.

Here's what I had to say about some of that stuff:
#382 is so heart-poundingly good I'm in love with the series all over again. It's Sons And Daughters gold.

At its heart is everything that makes this series fly. Conflict; misdirection; continuity; and Patricia scheming for all she's worth.

...Fiona siding with Terry makes things so much more juicy and complex. Any relationship that either Fiona or Terry have is to be tested. Relationships that have already been to hell and back previously (think Terry and Jill; Jill and Fiona; Fiona and Gordon...)

...crucially, the recently cosy relationship between Fiona and Terry is put under the microscope in dialogue that will satisfy anyone who has been struggling to get their head round Terry's "rapist to hero" status.

...In a touch that calls back to those early episodes, Fiona and Patricia are kept apart for the entire episode, even as their enmity becomes the driving force. Patricia lies in bed looking fabulous and pretending to be shaken and angry. Fiona seethes with anger that nobody can see through Patricia's scheme. We know a confrontation of epic proportions must await, and with each interaction each of the women has with others, the stakes get higher and higher.

The final scenes are tense - almost Christie-esque - as all concerned with Woombai (minus Patricia) gather there to judge how they view things based on two very different stories (Jill and Patricia's version versus Terry and Fiona's). Gordon; Margaret; Stephen; Jill; Terry and Fiona all face off. Each with their own agenda and beliefs. The visuals are compellingly uncomfortable. Most of all, there's Jill - heavily pregnant with her rapist's child - standing across the room from him, spewing angry accusations. But on someone else's behalf.

By episode's end, when Fiona feels she's been betrayed by the people she loved and trusted, there's a feeling that anything could happen next. And it probably will.

It feels like the series has had a soft reboot, or has entered an exciting new phase. The things we were concerned about in recent weeks have been resolved or have morphed into other concerns. The O'Briens have brought a kind of grounding to the series. Even less-than-exciting scenes of young Katie going all melty over the sight of John and Andy, or Jeff and Tony playing a computer game have a heart to them that conjures up images of early days at the Palmers'. Heather in particular is already a very welcome addition, and I especially enjoy the discomfort she's shown over knowing more about the neighbours' strife than she feels is appropriate at this stage in their relationship. There's been a wonderfully Knotsian scene in which Heather reluctantly visits newly abandoned Beryl - ostensibly to borrow some eggs, but actually because Tony has asked her to look in on Beryl while he is out. She finds Beryl in domestic turbodrive, apparently giving the kitchen a good clearout and talking nine to the dozen like a short circuited Stepford Wife. Heather simply stands there silently, smiling politely but looking increasingly uncomfortable. It's a terrific moment for both women.

This welcome prosaic scenario of new neighbour etiquette makes the more plot driven stuff going on seem even more exciting while at the same time somehow validates it by setting it firmly in reality. Heather fretting over having to make small talk with their new neighbour has contrasted perfectly with a soapy tumble down a flight of stairs; a dramatic plane crash (offscreen, naturally) resulting in burns; and a Leanne Rees style photoshopped setup designed to bring down one of the most moral characters and ruin the lives of those around him.

David and Margaret's affair has given some cracking scenes. I'm pleased to see characters taking sides as that's always good for tension, and it's been really good to have Doug and Rosie thrown into it: Rosie sensing trouble instantly and trying to keep out of it. Beryl shouting at Doug for interfering and revealing that Doug hadn't fixed Kevin and Lynn's relationship as he'd previously thought (this felt particularly cruel given what a sweet action this had originally been. It was very satisfying to see this moment called back and "sullied" so that Beryl immediately knew she'd spoken out of turn). A scene in which Doug visited an unapologetic David and said he was ashamed to call him son is perhaps my favourite moment for Doug in the entire series, and a little reminder to long term viewers of the combative nature of this relationship in the early days, and the progress that David's actions have rapidly undone.

Even by the standards of recent episodes, things have suddenly become incredibly fast moving. This is real miss-an-episode-and-you-won't-have-any-idea-what's-going-on stuff. It's very exciting.

Beryl & David seeming to split up for good all of a sudden over nothing. They were getting on so well again after the shooting, but the writers decided no, David needs another affair, and two contrived rows later he's flung himself into Margaret's arms.

David in particular seems to be the go-to in terms of characters whose brains are in their y-fronts. But because of that it feels right in character for him, as does the contrivance of the rows. My views on that at the time:
David really is a slime. He’s been manufacturing arguments and freezes with Beryl, as he is wont to do when there is the slightest hint of fanny on the horizon. All the better to rationalise his infidelity as justified. It’s frustrating to watch, because he never seems to learn or grow. To build on James’s Knots parallels, this is akin to watching Gary Ewing of Season Two and three on a loop.

Pat suddenly thinks he's a weak failure, when didn't she see that all along?

It has similarities to how absolutely Pat turned against Gordon as their relationship crumbled. Sure, the rot was there all the time with Gordon, but it felt in character for Pat to see attack as the best form of defence.

Why didn't he and Amanda just call Pat and Robin's bluff about blackmailing them over the miscarriage? Wayne didn't know Amanda had miscarried at first anyway, so technically he hadn't done anything wrong here. He succumbs to blackmail threats far to easily.

Great point. And another example of some of the poor writing for Wayne.

I hope the writing will recover from all this ridiculousness, but I'm determined to catch up with Mel O'Drama into the 400s so i'll keep watching anyway.

I've found some very satisfying character moments twixt thee and me, so I'm hopeful you won't be disappointed.

Oh - and I'm looking forward to seeing you here. The pav's baking as I write.

I get the feeling the writers either don't like him anymore or his contract is maybe nearly up, but he is not getting ANY plots at all. He just hangs around like an extra in a couple of scenes each episode. He follows Andy round to a gig, then has a chat with Fiona, and then disappears for the rest of the episode.

Agreed. After his exit to join the Air Force, I felt John never quite fitted in again.