Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve been watching an old US soap called The Doctors on YouTube and this popped up in my suggestions so I started watching as a companion piece to that. I’m currently in late 1970 on The Doctors, but this show feels like a contemporary of that lol. I certainly don’t mind, But I find that interesting.

I’m 9 episodes in and so far so good. The pacing isn’t the best but the story is moving along nicely and they’re doing a good job introducing everyone. I’m curious where this murder story will go, not to mention the brother and sister dating. I’ve seen some spoilers so I don’t mind if y’all say anything but I’ll keep posting as I watch!

One thing I really anticipate is everything with Pat. From what I’ve read she sounds pretty iconic so I’m curious if she’ll live up to her reputation. So far she isn’t doing too much.

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's been quite a while but it's time again for the sons & daughters, love & laughter, tears & sadness & happiness to come back!

Another binge session commences!

JamesF

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Please share your thoughts when you do! Now that I'm a long time finished, I'm actually jealous of those who still have S&D ahead of them for the first time.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
After a bit of posting about the virtues of Sons And Daughters this week, I've randomly found myself rewatching the first eight episodes in my spare time over the last couple of days. It was completely unintentional. I just wanted reminding of how Patricia was characterised in the flashback to the twins' birth in the first episode and found I couldn't stop watching. So it's still as addictive as ever.

It's not a proper rewatch, as I'm skipping most of the Melbourne stuff with lame Lynn and soporific Susan.

Curiously, perhaps for the first time in a very long Sons And Daughters viewing history, I've found myself appreciating Gordon as a character. He's stronger than I remember him being. Jill, too is speaking to me. There's a cheeky warmth to Kim Lewis that is enjoyable.

And that's in addition to all the old favourite reasons for watching: Patricia being frosty. Wayne smirking. And Peter Phelps's NSFW speedo acting in Episode Seven. :eck:

Whenever Sons And Daughters is mentioned I feel a pang of regret for selling (or losing. I forget which) my collection of immaculate S&D paperbacks.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I hate watching anything on YouTube and somehow forget to go back to Sons & Daughters. However I do really like it and have genuine affection for the characters and story. I keep forgetting exactly where I left off and end up re-watching episodes over again when I try and catch up in case I have skipped too far ahead. I should keep some kind of tally.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've watched a lot of great stuff on YouTube, I don't consider myself very picky when it comes to picture quality. The incorrect widescreen version of S&D is the only reason why I'm not watching it. Or do the eyes get used to it, eventually?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I've watched a lot of great stuff on YouTube, I don't consider myself very picky when it comes to picture quality. The incorrect widescreen version of S&D is the only reason why I'm not watching it. Or do the eyes get used to it, eventually?
They do sort off. I mean the picture quality itself isn't so bad. It's better than some stuff I have watched on DVD. It is a little strange having them all a bit squashed though. I cant understand the reasoning for it?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I cant understand the reasoning for it?
To avoid copyright infringement, because it's no longer the original video? I can't think of any other reason why someone would upload ALL those many episodes in the wrong aspect ratio? I mean did he really think it would be appreciated?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
To avoid copyright infringement, because it's no longer the original video? I can't think of any other reason why someone would upload ALL those many episodes in the wrong aspect ratio? I mean did he really think it would be appreciated?
But surely it's still copyright infringement. All they did was alter something that didn't belong to them?

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Could the episodes have actually been rerun in a different aspect ratio to avoid the blank spaces on each side?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I hate watching anything on YouTube

Same here. I normally use YouTube for quick references or to see clips. Watching an entire episode, much less an entire series is an anathema to me. That's why I'm so surprised I've made it up to Episode Twelve already.

However I do really like it and have genuine affection for the characters and story.

The Seven Network was just the best in the Eighties. Sons And Daughters, early Neighbours, early Home And Away.... They all have a very special something that you won't find anywhere else.

I don't consider myself very picky when it comes to picture quality. The incorrect widescreen version of S&D is the only reason why I'm not watching it. Or do the eyes get used to it, eventually?

My eyes are starting to get used to it. Either that or I'm so busy worrying about the lack of picture quality it's taking my mind off the ratio.

It is a little strange having them all a bit squashed though. I cant understand the reasoning for it?

When uploading videos to YouTube there are ratio options. My guess is the person who uploaded them simply went with the default YouTube option, which fully fills the standard widescreen shape. Hence losing the top and bottom of the picture.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just wanted reminding of how Patricia was characterised in the flashback to the twins' birth in the first episode and found I couldn't stop watching
I just watched the first 4 episodes and it's so instantly enjoyable, the pleasure of watching these actors combined with that authentic Australian atmosphere that feels so familiar, eventhough I've never been there.
At this moment I have no plans to continue, but one more episode won't hurt, I suppose.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Beryl is at the end of her rope...I can't leave her like this. I'll watch some more just to make sure that everything is alright.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Angela doesn't do very much, does she?
The Hamiltons are a very noble family and Wayne and Patricia know everything about expensive wines (and they like to flaunt it).
There are quite a few private audience moments with Gordon in his study, and then the others want to know what's been said.

Of course I remember Kevin and Lynn, my favourite couch potatos, but I didn't recognize Susan at all. Weird.
I also didn't remember Jill being there from the very beginning. She's a cool chick and far more likeable than Angela.

Both the Hamilton and Palmer family continue to be front page news (!) and Patricia always complains about the unflattering photos.
She's also very rude to her (illegal) housemaid.
Susan is driving everyone crazy with her ever-changing wedding plans, and evil Bill is the wrong guy anyway.
John walks around in his underwear as if nobody's watching (yeah right), and it looks like he and Fiona are back in Sydney again, which means he's run away twice.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Patricia always complains about the unflattering photos.

I'm a few episodes ahead of you, and caught an episode yesterday in which
Angela said that Patricia looked awful in a photograph. And Patricia furiously replied that she thought it was nice.

She's also very rude to her (illegal) housemaid.

"I'd hate to have to speak to the agency..."

Susan is driving everyone crazy with her ever-changing wedding plans, and evil Bill is the wrong guy anyway.
it looks like he and Fiona are back in Sydney again, which means he's run away twice.

I'm up to the end of episode 20, and this has reminded me how fast moving the series is in some ways. These storylines are still going on, but there have been yet more twists since then. Lots of them!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is the first time I see the similarity between John and Wayne's background. They both continue to disappoint their respective fathers, albeit for different reasons.
Wayne is Patricia's stepson, right? Because I don't think it has been mentioned yet (or maybe I missed it) and I think it's something that the viewers would like to know.

She's too busy secretly pursuing Anders...
Oh, you mean Anders!

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Ye Gods. I've watched this series in full two - maybe three - times before. But the pace is still surprising me. I've just finished watching Episode 27, which has several weeks' worth of developments and twists crammed into one episode. It's in danger of being anti-climactic. Many of the storylines of those early episodes are hurtling towards their conclusion. But I love how fearlessly confident the writing is. Even considering the original airing schedule of four episodes a week (or three in my ITV region for most of its run), there's no danger of the audience getting bored.

But it doesn't feel fast paced. It's not like Melrose Place or something where binge watching half a dozen back-to-back episodes will leave the viewer feeling fatigued and burnt out. The scenes are satisfyingly lengthy (though some of the YouTube ones are clearly edited for time, which is irritating), and there's a great deal of character exploration in there. Perhaps the sepia credits and mawkish theme song also lull the audience into a false sense of security.

Most of the developments have the right balance of being plot and character driven. All the relationships are getting quite incestuously intertwined. Some work for me more than others. Taking away my memories of how things pan out, the romance between
Wayne and Jill
feels a bit forced and very plot driven in these early stages. But it's causing enough strife for me to forgive the writers.

I also love how the backstory is being built upon. Recent episodes' references to Gordon and Patricia meeting have added new layers to the flashbacks to 1962. It's easy to visualise and makes the series feel very rich in history.

Now that many of the secrets have come home to roost, I'm going to miss that aspect of the show. It's still going to continue, of course. And the repercussions will ripple out. But I loved all the Scott Edwards business, and Fiona's hidden agenda in pretty much every interaction she had onscreen. Step aside Patricia: in these early episodes Fiona is the most devious character onscreen. The lies come so easily to her.

This is the first time I see the similarity between John and Wayne's background. They both continue to disappoint their respective fathers, albeit for different reasons.

Good observation. And I suppose Angela and Susan's journeys have parallels too. Both Daddy's girls who have unwittingly got involved with the wrong man with disastrous consequences.

Wayne is Patricia's stepson, right? Because I don't think it has been mentioned yet (or maybe I missed it) and I think it's something that the viewers would like to know.

He is, yes. I think the closest confirmation we've had so far is when Wayne referred to Angela as his "little sister", which if literal means he must have been born before Gordon and Patricia met.

I like that it hasn't been explicitly said. Like many of the relationships (John to Beryl* and his siblings; Angela to Gordon), there's an interesting message that blood and family are sometimes two very different things. And it's family that really counts.

*Even with the Patricia/John thing being pushed so heavily, I haven't yet seen a scene between Beryl and John where I've thought of her as his stepmother. It just hasn't even occurred to me. And I suppose that's how it should be.