The Bold and the Beautiful Watching The Bold and the Beautiful

Rove

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
B&B need a change,more drama,intrigues ,business,violence,spy story.
and bring back old cast Clarke,CJ,Macy,Connor,Zach,Felicia,Kristin,Margo,Amber,Karen
It once was an intriguing half hour show when the original core characters were there. Now with its repetitive stories, a focus on the younger cast and constant revolving door of recasts The Bold and Beautiful has lost its mojo.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
I hope none of the upcoming broadcasts involve Ridge and Brooke in the steam room. Those scenes used to make me cringe

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medals
I'm tentatively joining this thread while the Best Of is being aired - no spoilers. I'm a bit disappointed with the selection of episodes. Obviously they see best as synonym for weddings. And they've already gotten quite close to the present. I would have like to have seen some of the other shocking scenes that I've only read about that took place before I started watching.

So good to see Sheila back. She's still scary and Kimberlin Brown still has it.
Sheila was always my favourite character. She always means well. That's what makes her so compelling.
back old cast Clarke,CJ,Macy,Connor,Zach,Felicia,Kristin,Margo,Amber,Karen
Macy is supposed to be dead (again) but I don't believe it. Also, I don't believe Sally is alive.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
The actress who played Sally passed away, but several years ago the character was alive offscreen. I don't know if something has changed since then

Last edited:

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
The weddings may not truly be the best of, but those episodes have far more effort into them than the actual marriages

Rove

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
while the Best Of is being aired
I had a funny reaction this week when arriving home from work I turned the television on. I walked out of the room and when I returned there was Stephanie (Susan Flannery). I instantly stopped and watched the remaining episode and realized how much I miss this actress on television.

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I'm tentatively joining this thread while the Best Of is being aired - no spoilers. I'm a bit disappointed with the selection of episodes. Obviously they see best as synonym for weddings. And they've already gotten quite close to the present. I would have like to have seen some of the other shocking scenes that I've only read about that took place before I started watching.
I have been very disappointed in their selection of old episodes. Too many are from not even 3 years ago. The weddings have been featured before when they've done re-runs and some are already on the DVD of B&Bs Best Weddings.

Next week will feature fashion shows. And some of them are fairly recent episodes. Monday will be Lake Como from 1997. That location shoot and fashion show was AMAZING. They should have chosen to give us a whole week of it. 5 episodes from Lake Como.
But no. Tuesday will be an episode from 2012. Wednesday an episode from 2016. Thursday and Friday will be episodes from 2017. :re::re:

Why not take this opportunity to show us something meater, classic B&B? Something featuring former characters, the big fan-favourites. Stephanie, Sally, Taylor, Sheila, Macy, Thorne, old Ridge etc.

Wasted opportunity!

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medals
The actress who played Sally passed away, but several years ago the character was alive offscreen. I don't know if something has changed since then
No, it's still the same. Sally is supposedly cavorting on a beach somewhere with cabana boys.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
I recorded and watched the Lake Como fashion show and Brooke and Eric's wedding, but most of the episodes re-aired have been since Susan Flannery retired. Watching the young women all fight over Liam got old years ago

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Next week will focus on Brooke. (As if all weeks don't...) It will be these 5 episodes:
  • Eric & Brooke - taking off for their honeymoon (1990)
  • Brooke's Bedroom collection premiere (1998)
  • Episode 5000 with Eric, Stephanie, Ridge and Brooke at Big Bear (2007)
  • Brooke & Nick wedding (2006)
  • Brooke & Ridge (Thorsten Kaye joining B&B as new Ridge) (2013)

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
I recorded and watched the Lake Como fashion show and Brooke and Eric's wedding, but most of the episodes re-aired have been since Susan Flannery retired. Watching the young women all fight over Liam got old years ago
I loved Susan Flannery. But Kim Matula's Hope and Jacqueline MacInnes Wood's Steffy fighting over Scott Clifton's Liam is a gazillion times better, for me, than the Brooke-Ridge-Taylor triangle. First, all three actors in the younger triangle are very good, and the characters are much more complicated than the old triangle. Brooke (whom I loved in the Bill Bell years) was the sex kitten who kept hoping Ridge would dump his wife even though he never ever suggested he was tempted, Taylor was the preaching hypocrite who accused Brooke of sleeping with all the Forrester men while she herself went through all the Forresters and all the Logans (and had cheated on Ridge with James), and Ridge was just a moron who loved to stare at the camera with his mouth open: "Logaaaan...Tayyylor....Moooother..."

I appreciate how they gave Hope all these insecurities and hang-ups about sex because of her mother's history, how Steffy was willing to fight dirty, use sex, and not be a hypocrite like her mother, and jump into the bedroom line as if she were Brooke's daughter--who was her stepmother for years after all. Also how Liam managed to be non-committal to both without actually dumping either one hurtfully (Stephy and Bill's fling was the exception).

My biggest problem with B&B is how it burns through both talent and characters. I was watching the Spectra/Forrester competition in Monte Carlo, and the actor who played Thomas was amazing, as was the role. Why turn him into a whiny psychopath? Not to mention Rome Flynn as Zende who was quite a great pairing of role and actor. Sure, the actor decided to leave, but why get rid of a core character?

Also, the show is incapable of moving some characters to more age-appropriate plots. Brooke is a mother and a grandmother. Surely she can be involved in their lives more (hello, Rick and Bridget?) and not be in yet another triangle with Ridge (and currently Shauna). Even Pythagoras would have cried, "enough."

Not to mention, with everything that Thomas went through, and before with Steffy and her fling with Bill, how did their mother not appear? Even recast, Taylor should have showed up.

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I loved Susan Flannery. But Kim Matula's Hope and Jacqueline MacInnes Wood's Steffy fighting over Scott Clifton's Liam is a gazillion times better, for me, than the Brooke-Ridge-Taylor triangle. First, all three actors in the younger triangle are very good, and the characters are much more complicated than the old triangle. Brooke (whom I loved in the Bill Bell years) was the sex kitten who kept hoping Ridge would dump his wife even though he never ever suggested he was tempted, Taylor was the preaching hypocrite who accused Brooke of sleeping with all the Forrester men while she herself went through all the Forresters and all the Logans (and had cheated on Ridge with James), and Ridge was just a moron who loved to stare at the camera with his mouth open: "Logaaaan...Tayyylor....Moooother..."

I appreciate how they gave Hope all these insecurities and hang-ups about sex because of her mother's history, how Steffy was willing to fight dirty, use sex, and not be a hypocrite like her mother, and jump into the bedroom line as if she were Brooke's daughter--who was her stepmother for years after all. Also how Liam managed to be non-committal to both without actually dumping either one hurtfully (Stephy and Bill's fling was the exception).

My biggest problem with B&B is how it burns through both talent and characters. I was watching the Spectra/Forrester competition in Monte Carlo, and the actor who played Thomas was amazing, as was the role. Why turn him into a whiny psychopath? Not to mention Rome Flynn as Zende who was quite a great pairing of role and actor. Sure, the actor decided to leave, but why get rid of a core character?

Also, the show is incapable of moving some characters to more age-appropriate plots. Brooke is a mother and a grandmother. Surely she can be involved in their lives more (hello, Rick and Bridget?) and not be in yet another triangle with Ridge (and currently Shauna). Even Pythagoras would have cried, "enough."

Not to mention, with everything that Thomas went through, and before with Steffy and her fling with Bill, how did their mother not appear? Even recast, Taylor should have showed up.
I hated the Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle. I prefered him with Caroline (first choice) or Taylor (second choice), but the triangle storyline didn't interest me.

Steffy is a much more interesting character than Brooke or Taylor, but I think she should move on from Liam. I really don't understand the pull Liam has on Hope and Steffy. He's not rich, he's not sexy, he's not famous, he's not magnetic and he can't ever fully commit. Is he a God in the bedroom?? What else could it be?

With him and Hope now happily married with Beth and Douglas, can Steffy PLEASE be allowed to move on? Pining after that idiot for 3 years is so beneath her.

I prefer Matthew Atkinson as Thomas. I don't like what they've done to the character, but the actor is easily the most magnetic actor on B&B right now.

And then they go and make Sally a pathetic psycho about Wyatt........ What does she see in him????? He's even less interesting than Liam. I really don't want this for the terrific Courtney Hope.

My hope is that Sally and Thomas fall back in love and fight for Douglas. And that the show casts a hot new guy for Steffy.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
I prefer Matthew Atkinson as Thomas. I don't like what they've done to the character, but the actor is easily the most magnetic actor on B&B right now.
With the chance to watch in CBS reruns some old episodes, I realized the show has two version of Thomas: one is the psycho son of also deranged Taylor (Drew Tyler Bell, Thomas Atkinson) and the other is the charismatic son of also cad Ridge (Adam Gregory, Pierson Fode).

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
Yeah, they've swapped personalities pretty much every time they recast the role. Drew Tyler Bell blew up Rick's car, and then they were hanging out at Hope's party later like nothing happened

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Adam Gregory's Thomas was the worst. Always with an upmost stupid grin on his face and suddenly in love with Brooke, but also in love with Hope. But also scheming against them. But pretending to be an innocent and stupid idiot with a stupid grin.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Adam Gregory's Thomas was the worst. Always with an upmost stupid grin on his face and suddenly in love with Brooke, but also in love with Hope. But also scheming against them. But pretending to be an innocent and stupid idiot with a stupid grin.
Replace Adam Gregory with Ronn Moss, and replace "Hope" with Taylor, and you have Ridge's storylines. Ergo, a good cast for his offspring.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
Drew Tyler Bell earned an Emmy for best younger actor just prior to the recast. Apparently Adam Gregory was just brought in to sex up the character before his storyline quickly dried up

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I have no idea of how talented DT Bell might or might not be, but the "Younger Actor" and "Younger Actress" Emmy categories have always been problematic in my opinion. They would place young adults like Bell into the same category as "truly" young (like nine year-old) actors and attempt to judge them equally despite radically different demands and material. Shows would often submit anyone in the cast who fit the criteria (that they're younger than 25) hoping to increase their "Nominated for ___ Emmys!" number, whether they felt the material was Emmy worthy or not. The Emmys organization recently decided to combine the male and female categories to one "Outstanding Younger Performer" in an effort toward quality over quantity. Some truly great actors and actresses have earned these awards, but there have also been a few times when it appeared the winner was chosen more as "who's the best of a bad lot?".

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
I have no idea of how talented DT Bell might or might not be, but the "Younger Actor" and "Younger Actress" Emmy categories have always been problematic in my opinion. They would place young adults like Bell into the same category as "truly" young (like nine year-old) actors and attempt to judge them equally despite radically different demands and material. Shows would often submit anyone in the cast who fit the criteria (that they're younger than 25) hoping to increase their "Nominated for ___ Emmys!" number, whether they felt the material was Emmy worthy or not. The Emmys organization recently decided to combine the male and female categories to one "Outstanding Younger Performer" in an effort toward quality over quantity. Some truly great actors and actresses have earned these awards, but there have also been a few times when it appeared the winner was chosen more as "who's the best of a bad lot?".
The daytime Emmys have always been a joke. They require that actors submit two episodes, and the episodes always have to be uber dramatic or uber funny, so the more nuanced performances (which is the bread and butter of a medium that is coming on the screen every day for 52 weeks a year) always get left out.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Drew Tyler Bell earned an Emmy for best younger actor just prior to the recast. Apparently Adam Gregory was just brought in to sex up the character before his storyline quickly dried up
Bell had the idea of teasing a Brooke/Thomas storyline, which never really happened, and would have been a rehashing anyway: Taylor had already had sex, many times, with Brooke's husband. Instead they did the bizarre "psychedelic berries on the island" blackmail story, so that Thomas was once again a creep.

Somehow the show has never been able to write plots for any male but Ridge until Diamont's Bill Spencer came along, and then Liam. Even core male characters like Thorne (recast as many times as Thomas) and Eric have been often sidelined. But apparently the Spencer males broke the mold.