The Bold and the Beautiful Watching The Bold and the Beautiful

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Replace Adam Gregory with Ronn Moss, and replace "Hope" with Taylor, and you have Ridge's storylines. Ergo, a good cast for his offspring.

I prefer a good actor who is also magnetic and interesting. Ronn Moss is certainly not a good actor, but he had some kind of an X-factor that worked in his favour. And Hunter Tylo was beautiful like a goddess in the 90s. You didn't really care that they weren't top-notch actors somehow. But the same thing didn't work with Adam Gregory. He lacked the X-factor and he wasn't convincing as an actor either.

Jacqueline MacInnes Wood (Steffy) looks so much like Hunter AND is a great actress. B&B should use her more than being prop for Liam and Hope.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ronn Moss was not a good actor but if you were a longtime fan you got used to him. I hated it when his hair went grey and he started coloring it or wearing a hairpiece. He ceased to look like a real person which made all of the love scenes look even more disturbing. I can't speak to the current Thomas because I really haven't watched since Bill blew up the Spectra building with Liam inside

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ronn Moss was not a good actor but if you were a longtime fan you got used to him. I hated it when his hair went grey and he started coloring it or wearing a hairpiece. He ceased to look like a real person which made all of the love scenes look even more disturbing. I can't speak to the current Thomas because I really haven't watched since Bill blew up the Spectra building with Liam inside

I never got used to him and he was part of the reason I could not stomach Ridge. Tylo's Taylor, from sophisticated and manipulative to adulterous and sanctimonious and finally to disheveled and psychotic may have ended up repulsive as a character, but it was obvious the actress put herself in the performance. Moss was always half-assing it.

I think the current Thomas is also a good actor, but so was the previous one. The problem with current Thomas is that they have painted him into a corner, and usually the way B&B gets out of this mess is with a recast.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I read an interesting bit of news I'd never heard about plans to expand B&B years ago. In an interview with actress Tracey Bregman, who plays Lauren Fenmore on Y&R and played the same character for several years on B&B, she spoke of how they had moved 'Lauren' over to B&B in anticipation of expanding the show to an hour. She would have been one of several characters added to expand the cast to share the work load. When the expansion never happened, she sort of drifted around the show without a purpose and ended up back on Y&R. I think B&B works better as a half-hour soap, and apparently Bill Bell (when he was alive) preferred the half-hour format. He resisted expanding Y&R for years before CBS got their way.
I never got used to him and he was part of the reason I could not stomach Ridge.
My mom referred to him as "Mulletor". But her nickname for Brooke is....unprintable.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When the expansion never happened, she sort of drifted around the show without a purpose and ended up back on Y&R. I think B&B works better as a half-hour soap, and apparently Bill Bell (when he was alive) preferred the half-hour format. He resisted expanding Y&R for years before CBS got their way.

By the time expansion talks were underway, soaps had started their ratings decline (supposedly because the O.J. trial was more fascinating to watch during the day). So CBS decided to hold that thought.

My mom referred to him as "Mulletor". But her nickname for Brooke is....unprintable.

He was usually called "Rigid" in the B&B forums.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I read an interesting bit of news I'd never heard about plans to expand B&B years ago. In an interview with actress Tracey Bregman, who plays Lauren Fenmore on Y&R and played the same character for several years on B&B, she spoke of how they had moved 'Lauren' over to B&B in anticipation of expanding the show to an hour. She would have been one of several characters added to expand the cast to share the work load. When the expansion never happened, she sort of drifted around the show without a purpose and ended up back on Y&R. I think B&B works better as a half-hour soap, and apparently Bill Bell (when he was alive) preferred the half-hour format. He resisted expanding Y&R for years before CBS got their way.

This is my first time hearing about that. Susan Flannery always said that she preferred the half-hour format as well and only stuck with Days at Bell's request after NBC expanded the show. The CBS station here aired Y&R a day behind at 9 AM and B&B was aired at 1:30, following Candid Camera and in later years, Frasier reruns. A few years ago they flipped it. Now Victor and Nikki air same day at 1, and Brooke and Ridge air a day late at 10:30, paired with a midmorning newscast

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
By the time expansion talks were underway, soaps had started their ratings decline (supposedly because the O.J. trial was more fascinating to watch during the day). So CBS decided to hold that thought.[/QUOTE]

The trial was not more interesting to watch than a soap, but the networks didn't give viewers a choice in what to watch. Cost-cutting began in earnest around that time, and in order to compete with the ratings success Days had found with Marlena's possession by the devil, other soaps began to introduce supernatural elements. Along with Proctor & Gamble losing interest in a format they had pioneered, this further fragmented the audience. Plus the much cheaper format of shock talk TV--Jerry Springer and his ilk. They could get ordinary people to act stupid without having to pay union health benefits.

Last edited:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think the half hour format worked in favour of B&B, which tends to feature some stories non-stop and forget about other characters--but that is also why it frequently makes big name hires and wastes them. All the actors and actresses it hired and dropped through the year would easily make another (or two) glamorous soap.

While other soaps have always had the three-part format of storytelling (some stories are at their beginning, some are midway, and some peak), B&B tends to go with one story all the time. This does not mean it is fast track--all of Los Angeles knew of Beth's identity except for Hope--but it does feature one story and set of characters at the expense of others.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Someone please...pass the road map of actors playing the same character. Reading this thread its dawned on me why I never watch this series anymore. The constant recast is too jarring. The only person I now recognize is Brooke (Katherine Kelly Lang). There is no sense of history with this series. Out of left field we discover long lost kids from some distant character.

B&B became lost when it centered itself around Liam Spencer. This series is desperately calling out for Sheila Carter to go on a murderous rampage, leaving only Brooke to survive.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Katherine Kelly Lang and John McCook (Brooke and Eric) are the only two original cast members left. Did I forget anyone?

I would definitely enjoy seeing Sheila make a re-appearance (preferably the OG Sheila, not that last time she was around), but I don't think Kimberlin Brown Pelzer is pursuing acting work any more. And if Brooke were the only one to survive, I have every confidence she would re-populate the earth within a few years with the help of a myriad of weak-willed men, producing children who would grow to adulthood during the commercial breaks and soon be battling their mother for the attentions of those same hapless men.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And if Brooke were the only one to survive, I have every confidence she would re-populate the earth within a few years with the help of a myriad of weak-willed men, producing children who would grow to adulthood during the commercial breaks
It's why B&B cornered themselves by having those children grow up overnight. It's hysterical to think Bridget should be played by a 28 year old rather than the actress Ashley Jones who is now 43. Katherine Kelly Lang is 58. Still if Dallas could get away with it why not B&B. There was only 9 years difference between Barbara Bel and Larry Hagman.

For me to return to watching B&B I'd like to see the actress Jennifer Finnigan reprise the role of Bridget and Jacob Young return as Rick Forrester. Jacob plays the role with the right amount of arrogance and privilege which Rick requires. But give the characters something to chew on rather than drop by as special guests stars because mommy dearest is getting married for the umpteenth time.

There are two reasons why I stopped watching B&B; the characters of Liam and Hope. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Katherine Kelly Lang and John McCook (Brooke and Eric) are the only two original cast members left. Did I forget anyone?

Yes, they are. But the show is now 33 years old. It is amazing that they even have two of the original actors, and even more amazing that the same families (Forresters, Logans, and Spencers together with the occasional Spectra) are still the focus of the show. I can think of no other soap that managed that.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's why I prefer Thorsten Kaye. He brings a warmth and a depth that was lacking before.

He's clearly the better actor of the two, but his voice seriously annoys me. He sounds like he has a cold with a sore throat. A rather silly thing to get annoyed with, but I can't help it.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There are two reasons why I stopped watching B&B; the characters of Liam and Hope. I'd rather watch paint dry.

I stopped watching when Susan Flannery left. She was B&B to me. And lets just say that the focus on Liam and Hope is not in any way luring me back as a loyal viewer. Decent and sometimes great actors both Scott and Annika, but oh so boring. Same with Heather Tom. Excellent actress - but Katie's the dullest character of them all. And that Flo character seems to be in the same dull category.

I read the spoilers and a few recaps here and there. I've seen maybe 5 full episodes since 2013 plus a number of previews and scenes on YouTube. I kind of follow B&B from a distance but spend far less time than actually watching the episodes. I have no interest in actually watching.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He's clearly the better actor of the two, but his voice seriously annoys me. He sounds like he has a cold with a sore throat. A rather silly thing to get annoyed with, but I can't help it.

He's not American born, so he's affecting an accent. His character on One Life to Live was Irish. I haven't watched much since he debuted, so I can't speak to his proficiency in the role

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
[QUOTE="Emelee, post: 220316, member: ]

I read the spoilers and a few recaps here and there. I've seen maybe 5 full episodes since 2013 plus a number of previews and scenes on YouTube. I kind of follow B&B from a distance but spend far less time than actually watching the episodes. I have no interest in actually watching.[/QUOTE]

With the short run time, reading the episode descriptions pretty much gives away the entire plot

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bouncing around between the different eras has been a bit disconcerting. It might have been better to make the episode selection and play them in chronological order rather than lumping a batch of weddings together, for example.

It was nice to see Lindsay Price and Lark Voorhries in the opening sequence the other day, even if they didn't appear in the episode itself. I was thinking of them a little while ago when they were looking for a designer for Hope For the Future. I thought it would be good if they brought Jasmine back. She might have become a successful designer somewhere by now.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
[QUOTE="Rove, post: 220235, member: ]
For me to return to watching B&B I'd like to see the actress Jennifer Finnigan reprise the role of Bridget and Jacob Young return as Rick Forrester. Jacob plays the role with the right amount of arrogance and privilege which Rick requires. But give the characters something to chew on rather than drop by as special guests stars because mommy dearest is getting married for the umpteenth time..[/QUOTE]

Jacob Young returned several years ago, but disappeared after his story dried up. As written in his adult years, Rick pretty much has nothing to do but feud with Ridge and Thomas over control of the company, and they tend to be more physical whereas Rick whines and manipulates his mother, or at least that's how it was when Kyle Lowder was in the role