• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The Bold and the Beautiful Watching The Bold and the Beautiful

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When I watch this show now I honestly laugh at how bad it has become. I’m not one of these people that likes to say everything was better back when but there’s absolutely nothing about this show that is currently holding my interest. I miss Taylor, Stephanie, Macy, Thorne and Sally. It’s just not the same anymore

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
It's so strange, but I just can't give up B&B even though I dislike it for a long time. For awhile I thought it's because they focus on just one storyline, but since there's that colored quadrangle at Forrester's I know it's the writing overall. What worries me the most that writing won't change. You can't hope there might be a new headwriter, no, it will always be Bell.

I'm just waiting for the day Bell kicks Scott Clifton out. It's hard to imagine but remember what happened to Jack Wagner: I thought we had to watch Nick forever and suddenly he was gone. Also expected Bill Spencer being frontburner for many years and now he only appears every now and then which I'm fine with because I can't stand neither Bill nor Katie.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's so strange, but I just can't give up B&B even though I dislike it for a long time. For awhile I thought it's because they focus on just one storyline, but since there's that colored quadrangle at Forrester's I know it's the writing overall. What worries me the most that writing won't change. You can't hope there might be a new headwriter, no, it will always be Bell.

I'm just waiting for the day Bell kicks Scott Clifton out. It's hard to imagine but remember what happened to Jack Wagner: I thought we had to watch Nick forever and suddenly he was gone. Also expected Bill Spencer being frontburner for many years and now he only appears every now and then which I'm fine with because I can't stand neither Bill nor Katie.

I couldn't give up B&B either - until Susan Flannery left. That's when I stopped watching, having disliked the writing for so long. I miss Stephanie/Susan, but I don't miss much else. I read spoilers and some quick recaps, mainly to see what happens with Steffy and Thomas. It annoys me that Bell has them pining away for Liam and Hope. It should be Liam and Hope pining for Steffy and Thomas. Bell's obsession with Liam reminds me of his obsession with Ridge. Again, he has a blonde and a brunette fighting for a waffler. Annika Noelle isn't even a natural blonde, but she had to become a blonde for the role of Hope. It really is Brooke/Ridge/Taylor part 2, and I'm afraid we're stuck with this triangle as long as the actors remain on the show. I don't think Finn will be allowed to stand a chance in the long run because Bell is obsessed with Liam being the one. Just look what Bell did with Thomas, making him an obsessed psycho just to prop up Liam and Hope.

But then again, if not the Steffy/Liam/Hope triangle with Thomas and Finn added, what else is there? Zoe is a horrible character. Carter is just plain dumb. The new Zende actor isn't even half as good as the previous. Paris looks like a joke with the styling of her. Then there's Flo and Wyatt who are 100% pointless and boring. Katie and Donna - the Logans that were never needed and are still just plain annoying. Bill Spencer is a ridiculous character with his obsessions with money and women he can't have. Quinn could be an excellent character, but they have her paired with an 80-year-old who is taming her down. I'd much rather see Quinn and Brooke fighting it out for real and have Quinn paired with a man who doesn't want her to be boring. Quinn and Bill would be excellent as a powercouple.

So while I dislike Hope and Liam a lot, their story with Steffy, Thomas and Finn is still more interesting than anything else on the show.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have to agree with most of what you said @Emelee. I’m very frustrated with this show as well, as it was once one of my favorite soaps. The Hope/Liam/Steffy /Finn storyline is hard to watch, but ur absolutely right when you say it is sadly the most interesting plot on the show right now.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The new Zende actor isn't even half as good as the previous. Paris looks like a joke with the styling of her.
Agreed. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something about the way this Zende speaks that irritates me. And Paris's hair: It's not so bad now that it's not pink, but it still looks like a shower cap.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You can't hope there might be a new headwriter, no, it will always be Bell.
And therein lies the problem. Bell sounds like a one trick pony. I'd imagine as the supreme leader of B&B no one else gets a look in with fresh ideas/stories. What is Bell's fixation on allowing one character to rule a soap for a long period of time? I remember a time I thought the soap had turned into The Jennifer Gareis Show.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've never been a regular viewer of B&B, but from the things I've seen and heard from other viewers, Brad Bell seems to be following his father's tendency to write repetitive stories in order to feed into the "comfort food" feeling of viewers. Just as children gain comfort from repetition (watching Frozen 400 times), they seem to think that doing 'lather, rinse, repeat' type stories will retain viewers who don't want "wild, inappropriate and/or out of character" stories. One can tune out for two years, then come back and recognize the same characters still doing essentially the same scenes and become re-engaged almost immediately.

As others have said, Liam/Hope/Steffy, et. al is the Second Coming of Ridge/Brooke/Taylor, and I don't think this is an accident. It's not that Brad Bell is a one-trick pony---he just thinks this is what the viewer wants. Old-school soap viewers will recall Y&R (under Bill Bell) had the Lance/Lorie/Leslie triangle that dragged on interminably, and I think he tried (with some success) to repeat it with Victor/Nikki/Ashley. So Brad Bell likely thinks these high-profile triangles that last multiple years are a necessary plotline right up there with Who's the Daddy?, Amnesia, and Back From the Dead stories. The cynic in me recognizes that they had to go to a new generation because it became increasingly silly to see 50+ Ridge and Brooke doing the same dumb bed-hopping while their grandkids are off learning to drive.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And therein lies the problem. Bell sounds like a one trick pony. I'd imagine as the supreme leader of B&B no one else gets a look in with fresh ideas/stories. What is Bell's fixation on allowing one character to rule a soap for a long period of time? I remember a time I thought the soap had turned into The Jennifer Gareis Show.

I remember when this began. Up until 1998, many storylines got to take space. Sure, some were more featured than others, but there was some balance. Then suddenly it was all about Brooke and Amber for at least 3-4 years. In late 2001 when they took in Joseph Mascolo and in 2002 with Jack Wagner, the show got more balanced again for a while. But then it was back to being centered around a few characters. Now it's basically the Liam show.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I'm pretty sure soap veterans still living the good life even though they had to accept pay cuts, but I wonder if actors from the 2010's can get rich thanks to their soap gig. Scott Clifton for example is in almost every B&B episode: in the 80's or 90's he would have been a millionaire, but what about today?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wonder if actors from the 2010's can get rich thanks to their soap gig. Scott Clifton for example is in almost every B&B episode: in the 80's or 90's he would have been a millionaire, but what about today?
Back in better times, the actors would sign contracts that guaranteed a certain pay rate per episode, and a guarantee of a certain number of episodes/appearances per week. So Average Actor X might get $2500 per episode, and have a two episode-per-week guarantee, earning roughly $250,000. But if the actor is in a hot story and they write him/her into more than two episodes per week (which used to happen a lot more back then), they would get paid an extra $2500 for every episode over their guarantee. They might end up with a lot of extra pay if their character catches on. If the character didn't really catch fire, they'd still be guaranteed to be paid for those two episodes per week, even if they only appeared once a week or less. The pay rates would be renegotiated when the contract comes up for renewal.

These days, as they hustle to pinch every penny and save production costs, I'm not sure this 'guarantee' model is used as much, if at all. It appears that actors are now only paid for episodes in which they appear, or in some cases get paid for "days of work" even if all the scenes filmed in that one day are dropped into multiple episodes. The soaps rely much more on off-contract actors--those who work when the show needs them, but don't have any guarantee that the show will use them.

I'm sure the contract details depend largely on how good the actor's agent is; nothing seems set in stone these days. Actors have publicly criticized their shows and even quit over attempts by the producers to reduce their per-episode rate or trying to "lower their guarantee" in contract negotiations (basically cutting their salaries). During Mal Young's stormy tenure on Y&R they lost several veteran actors to his refusal to give raises of any sort to anyone in the cast--even actors who had taken cuts for several consecutive years.

In the case of B&B, I'm sure actors like Scott Clifton don't get the per-episode rate of someone like Katherine Kelly Lang, but the frequency of his appearances make me think that he might not be that much behind her in yearly earnings. It all tends to balance out, however, because younger actors will never make as much as the veterans make now, even after the veterans' salary reductions. Longevity is no longer rewarded the way it was.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm sure I read/heard somewhere Katherine had requested and was granted additional time away from B&B. Prior to Covid-19 she would pop up frequently on TVSN (TV Shopping Network) here in Australia. She also would appear on Studio 10 (a breakfast morning show) either as a guest or guest host. Whether her request to appear less in B&B affected her salary I wouldn't know but I'd bet my house the B&B producers will do whatever it takes to accommodate Katherine Kelly Lang as she is indispensable. Imagine B&B without Katherine. But then I didn't think the producers would have been game enough to recast Ridge...I still don't like that decision.

If the producers seriously believe B&B can survive with the likes of Liam, Steffy & Hope then go ahead...test that theory. The producers might like to think this trio has a great standing with the viewers but I find their story boring and repetitive...think Ridge, Brooke and Taylor.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I didn't think the producers would have been game enough to recast Ridge...I still don't like that decision.
I can't imagine a better recast for Ridge than Thorsten Kaye, on the other side he is no Ridge at all. His chemistry with Katherine Kelly Lang is alright, but there's no destiny in it. Nu-Ridge had better chemistry with Katie and it wasn't bad with Caroline either. When Taylor returned for a short time I didn't see much chemistry with her, maybe that's a reason they didn't bring back that classic triangle.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
GH's Tony Geary started the trend of taking months-long summer vacations in exchange for not demanding large raises every time he renegotiated his contract. Pretty soon actors' vacations became a sign of how high you were on the proverbial Totem Pole at your soap. I would assume getting three months off every summer, or the month of December or whatever the demand was, meant more to them than the money; in Geary's case, he wanted to spend that time in Europe. KKL likely wants to do personal appearances ($$$) and polish up her image overseas like a lot of other B&B actors do. The visibility of B&B overseas makes it possible for the actors to be more well-known outside the US than inside it. I recall the actors who played Thorne and Macy went on frequent concert tours in Europe thanks to their popularity on B&B.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Annika Noelle isn't even a natural blonde, but she had to become a blonde for the role of Hope.
Even so, she's one of the best recasts I've ever seen.
As others have said, Liam/Hope/Steffy, et. al is the Second Coming of Ridge/Brooke/Taylor
At least they acknowledge that in-story. Hope and Steffy are forever saying that they will break the pattern even as they relive it.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lesli Kay did two good recasts--Felicia on B&B, but also Lois on General Hospital. It did not occur to me until now, but Rena Sofer (currently Quinn on B&B) was the original Lois on GH. With Ned's marriage on the rocks and her daughter Brook Lynn soon to return to Port Charles, Lois (with Lesli Kay playing her) would be a great re-addition to the cast. But that's for the GH thread.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When the show first started, I was sort of proud of how they cast the Forrester kids. Too often, soaps pay no attention to 'family resemblance' when casting a core family. Ridge and Felicia (originally played by Colleen Dion) had the dark hair and cheekbones of their father Eric, while Kristen and Thorne were blond and 'California' looking like their mother Stephanie.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’m not a big fan of the current Steffy/Liam/Hope storyline and I don’t think it even comes close to the intensity of what Brooke/Ridge/Taylor was but I will say that when I look at Steffy and Hope I do see their moms. It’s uncanny to me how much the actresses look like Brooke and Taylor. I think it was a fine job of casting