Watching The Colbys for the First Time

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm watching this show now, I'm only about a quarter of the way through the first season. A few things that stand out so far:
1. I don't know if this is popular/unpopular as I don't read much of the Dynasty forum but Fallon 2 is s far removed from Fallon 1 it's actually pretty distracting. They didn't just replace the actress, they literally switched out the character
2. Why does no one suggest a paternity test for the Jeff/Phillp/Jason/father thing. Dallas did it 5 years earlier, it wasn't like they didn't have the scientific technology
3. I don't remember thinking much of Jeff in Dynasty but here he feels like the attractive one (even if they're setting up Miles as the younger, hotter one)

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
2. Why does no one suggest a paternity test for the Jeff/Phillp/Jason/father thing. Dallas did it 5 years earlier, it wasn't like they didn't have the scientific technology
You're asking this about 6 episodes in? ....Maybe the writers felt they shouldn't have to go down that road?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Before DNA technology they went by blood type - it could be that Phillip and Jason shared the same blood type, so it would've been pointless to try and test.

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
You're asking this about 6 episodes in? ....Maybe the writers felt they shouldn't have to go down that road?

Sorry, 16 episodes in, just passed having Francesca up in court being hounded about who Jeff's father is. I assumed a simpler, less embarrassing way of ruling whether he was a Colby or not would be a blood test. As @tommie has just pointed out the science wasn't as advanced to work out which Colby was Jeff's father which is fair (though they weren't asking which Colby at that point, just whether he was a Colby, so they could have asked for samples from various family members and seen whether they match, no?). Doesn't matter now, it was just something that stuck in my head when I was watching it unfold.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As @tommie has just pointed out the science wasn't as advanced to work out which Colby was Jeff's father which is fair (though they weren't asking which Colby at that point, just whether he was a Colby, so they could have asked for samples from various family members and seen whether they match, no?).

Actually, no - the thing is that with blood tests of the past it's more of the fact that two people of certain blood types will produce a child of a certain blood type. It was a very crude way of determining paternity, but either way they would need to test Frankie's blood type and then the potential fathers blood type to see if they could produce Jeff's blood type. It was far from fool proof since the potential fathers might just have the same blood type.

Either way, asking what blood type Miles, Monica and Bliss had wouldn't matter since Sable and Jason could've produced children of different blood types than a Frankie and Jason child would've depending on what blood type they themselves had.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
It would have been so much FUN if Jason had made all his children line up to submit to a blood test...What a shock he might have had...!!

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
a paternity test for the Jeff/Phillp/Jason/father thing
Francesca up in court being hounded about who Jeff's father is
Right. Phil didn't believe the child was his. Frankie insisted it was. It wasn't on anybody's radar that Jason was a candidate for being Jeff's parent, other than Jason himself. So it wouldn't have occured to Miles -- who was bringing the case -- that another Colby was Jeff's father and demand paternity tests. IIRC, to him & the rest of the family, the Jason-Frankie hook-up was something from out of the present not the past.

Last edited:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm watching this show now, I'm only about a quarter of the way through the first season. A few things that stand out so far:
1. I don't know if this is popular/unpopular as I don't read much of the Dynasty forum but Fallon 2 is s far removed from Fallon 1 it's actually pretty distracting. They didn't just replace the actress, they literally switched out the character

The character is Fallon in name only, and she was written and directed that way. That became obvious as soon as Samms moved to DYNASTY's season 8, and she instantly became less of a hausfrau victim.

Every time I criticize the spin-off for not really trying to attract DYNASTY fans (for there was no other pool) as KNOTS did with a Ewing, I get the answer "well, they had Fallon who has a Carrington." But really, they didn't.

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The character is Fallon in name only, and she was written and directed that way. That became obvious as soon as Samms moved to DYNASTY's season 8, and she instantly became less of a hausfrau victim.

Every time I criticize the spin-off for not really trying to attract DYNASTY fans (for there was no other pool) as KNOTS did with a Ewing, I get the answer "well, they had Fallon who has a Carrington." But really, they didn't.

True. The only character from Dynasty was Jeff and hardly strong enough to spawn a spin off. The original concept was for Pamela Sue’s Fallon and Jeff to run a hotel but PS obviously didn’t want to.

In Joan’s autobiography she mentions there was talk of a spin off called Alexis which likely to be more successful than The Colbys as it features Dynasty’s most popular character. But Joan was deemed too valuable to the original so she didn’t push it, which she concedes may have been a mistake.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
She wasn't Fallon, she was Spinoffallon.
In Joan’s autobiography she mentions there was talk of a spin off called Alexis which likely to be more successful than The Colbys as it features Dynasty’s most popular character
I can only imagine how self-indulgent that would have been.
upload_2020-7-5_2-41-10.png

And dull.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
An Alexis spin-off would just be about how amazing Alexis is and who would want to watch that? No thanks, that's one character that needed others to balance them out.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
True. The only character from Dynasty was Jeff and hardly strong enough to spawn a spin off. The original concept was for Pamela Sue’s Fallon and Jeff to run a hotel but PS obviously didn’t want to.

I believe that was an early version of what eventually became Spelling's Hotel. I have always wanted a DYNASTY spin-off to have its timeslot after DYNASTY, and I think had it premiered in 1983 at that slot it would have had a better fate. But the love-boat-style nature of the Hotel concept was not really a Dynasty spin-off or of the soap genre. I think it's weird that they ended up saddling Fallon with a Hotel anyway on Dynasty--perhaps it was their way of punishing her.

In Joan’s autobiography she mentions there was talk of a spin off called Alexis which likely to be more successful than The Colbys as it features Dynasty’s most popular character. But Joan was deemed too valuable to the original so she didn’t push it, which she concedes may have been a mistake.

An Alexis spin-off would just be about how amazing Alexis is and who would want to watch that? No thanks, that's one character that needed others to balance them out.

Something tells me this is the usual Joan Collins self-aggrandizing memory rewriting the past. I doubt there was ever such talk. The hotel one is the version I have heard through the years, and at some early point of discussing the spin-off during season 5 there was talk of Amanda indeed marrying off to Moldavia and following the intrigue there, but ABC hated the idea and wanted something "very close to DYNASTY."

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I believe that was an early version of what eventually became Spelling's Hotel. I have always wanted a DYNASTY spin-off to have its timeslot after DYNASTY, and I think had it premiered in 1983 at that slot it would have had a better fate. But the love-boat-style nature of the Hotel concept was not really a Dynasty spin-off or of the soap genre. I think it's weird that they ended up saddling Fallon with a Hotel anyway on Dynasty--perhaps it was their way of punishing her.

Yeah, that and marrying Jeff again.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Are we sure about that ? I mean, whoring runs in the Colby history.
I have always said that Connie was one of the Colby brothers' mother. My money was on Philip. It would explain a fair bit. And Connie was older than America.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have always said that Connie was one of the Colby brothers' mother. My money was on Philip. It would explain a fair bit. And Connie was older than America.

And this would also explain why Philip doesn't even remotely look like Jason or Cecil.
This also means Frankie didn't sleep with 2 brothers. But with a nephew and his uncle. Still gross. No, it's worst actually :D

Last edited:

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Did Paulsen steal the season deoson nine collection from asble and museum to Jason