The Young and the Restless Watching The Young and the Restless

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've had the feeling for a long time (like...twenty years) that Peter Bergman is the reason Jack keeps being paired with much-younger women on the show. Everyone talks about how Eric Braeden throws his power around behind the scenes, but Bergman has a lot of power on his own. At this stage of Jack's life, he looks foolish mooning over young girls, but they never seem to chem-test him with woman more age-appropriate.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Looks like a happy ending for Summer & Kyle. It's rare for a supercouple to leave a soap together, so I enjoy it. Hope Harrison will live with them.

Victoria & Ashland is the best part of Y&R right now, but that's only because there are no better storylines.

Baby Chancellor plot is still a mess. It makes no sense that nobody really misses Mariah.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’m still watching here and there as my loyalty to this show will probably never die completely. But I just wish they would realize that I am no longer young but quite restless. It’s really hard to sit through some of these storylines without shaking my head.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've had the feeling for a long time (like...twenty years) that Peter Bergman is the reason Jack keeps being paired with much-younger women on the show. Everyone talks about how Eric Braeden throws his power around behind the scenes, but Bergman has a lot of power on his own. At this stage of Jack's life, he looks foolish mooning over young girls, but they never seem to chem-test him with woman more age-appropriate.

I am so over the old guy being paired with women young enough to be their daughters. Jack Abbott is what? 70? And Sally around 30? Tara about 30-35? It's way too big an age gap.
Ashland is about 60 and Victoria around 40 I assume.
Eric on B&B, 77 years old, always paired with women 20-30 years younger.

Just the thought of being with a man my father's age... ugh!!!!

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm in the age range of these middle-aged men you see with 'trophy wives' (or husbands) and I feel second-hand embarrassment on their behalf. But hey, if they're both getting what they need from the relationship, you do you. But don't get all huffy when people think you're taking your daughter out for dinner.

I know everything is magnified/exaggerated in soapland, but the Peter Bergman/younger woman thing has always bugged me.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Ashland is about 60 and Victoria around 40 I assume.
Eric on B&B, 77 years old, always paired with women 20-30 years younger.
At least Y&R is toying with Victoria & Ashland as a couple. Victor & Nikki have realized that Victoria is marrying a Victor-clone which is funny.

Eric's recent way to divorce was too much for me. His family talked about his non-existent sex life and between the lines it was said that Eric was still so good in bed so Quinn lost her mind not getting it and turned to another man.

Could hate sex between Adam and Chloe happen? Please don't go there, Y&R.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
At least Y&R is toying with Victoria & Ashland as a couple. Victor & Nikki have realized that Victoria is marrying a Victor-clone which is funny.

For some reason Victoria and Ashland are putting me to sleep. I still say he’s stringing her along and faking his illness, which means Victoria gets hurt yet again and we’re in for endless scenes of everyone trying to cheer her up while drinking coffee over the next five years until someone else comes along.

Last edited:

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
The birth of Baby Chancellor was torture and not just for Mariah.

Sometimes Y&R is good (or at least better) in writing, but sometimes really bad like this week.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The birth of Baby Chancellor was torture and not just for Mariah.

Sometimes Y&R is good (or at least better) in writing, but sometimes really bad like this week.

It felt like the longest storyline in daytime history to me. I wonder if now because of her ordeal she decides to keep the baby for herself?

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I get why writers turn characters crazy people when a contract expires and they no longer need a certain character like Stitch's sister Kelly, but why bring a nice character back just to ruin him?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They did something similar to JT. Maybe this will be a yearly tradition, bringing back a past character and turning them psycho. It's the producers' way of telling the viewers to quit dwelling on the past, when the show was better.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I've already watched today's episode and it's much-see thanks to those who return!

Leslie Brooks: Hooray!
Summer & Kyle: Great!
Harrison: Not so great.
NuNoah: Could be good.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like how Victor had to basically reintroduce Leslie to the modern audience by using her full name. Sadly most people watching today don’t remember the character.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wish Y&R would bring back more of its long time characters like this. I know time can’t stand still and we have to move on but I think given this show’s long and rich history, more cameos by some of the older characters could give some of these current storylines a little more credibility.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Conventional wisdom (such as it is) says that soaps don't re-visit their higher points like that very often because they don't want people to ask "Why can't the show be as good now as it was then?" After all, they're spotlighting the work of other people (the writers and producers from the past) and show business is full of egotistical people who know their stuff probably doesn't stand up to the more popular stuff of the past. So the producers tend to avoid reminders of that stronger era.

I think Leslie has been out of the loop for so long that she may as well be a new character, since most of the new viewers (new since 1982?) don't know who she is. For the most part the whole Brooks family dropped off the face of the Earth when Bill Bell replaced them with the Abbotts.

WarriorsFan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bad Boys
I think Leslie has been out of the loop for so long that she may as well be a new character, since most of the new viewers (new since 1982?) don't know who she is. For the most part the whole Brooks family dropped off the face of the Earth when Bill Bell replaced them with the Abbotts.
The Brooks daughters were a part of some memorable storylines during Y&R's first decade: Chris/Snapper/Greg triangle, Chris's rape, Leslie/Lorie/Brad triangle, Leslie's emotional breakdown, Lorie's parentage, Leslie/Lorie/Lance/Lucas quadrangle. I didn't see these live, I've only read about them.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wish I was old enough to remember early Y&R. I started watching somewhere around ‘82 or ‘83. I love looking at old clips of the Fosters, Brooks and Abbotts. I can watch those scenes all day long compared to the current show.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I've read again and again that Josh Griffith is finally writing the way Bill Bell did and this wedding week felt like classic Y&R. Do you agree? I'm not so sure, but Friday's (the actual wedding) episode was very strong in writing.

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've read again and again that Josh Griffith is finally writing the way Bill Bell did and this wedding week felt like classic Y&R. Do you agree? I'm not so sure, but Friday's (the actual wedding) episode was very strong in writing.
I watched most of the wedding week and no, I never got a feeling of classic Y&R. But maybe that’s just me. I think it has a lot to do with Ashland and Victoria. I just can’t get vested in them as a couple. I find their storyline quite boring to be honest.

Leslie Brooks showing up was a nice touch but ultimately her appearance won’t mean much. But if Brenda Dickson showed up? Now that would’ve made it a party!!