The Young and the Restless Watching The Young and the Restless

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Man In the Ironic Mask
Going back a bit, but I happened to channel-surf onto the Sharon/Nick wedding disaster episodes on Pluto tonight, and this is really good stuff.

Nick slept with Phyllis (again) when he and Sharon were on a break, and Mariah told Sharon about it right before the ReWedding. So Sharon shows up late to the wedding with all the family and adjacent members and just eviscerates Nick (and Phyllis, who was there with Billy) in front of everyone. Victor's sitting there with his patented Well I'll be damned look of amusement while Nikki is horrified. I'm usually not a fan of Sharon Case's acting, but she killed it. I was remined of how GREAT Gina Tognoni's Phyllis was, even as she left with her tail between her legs and got thrown out by Billy (who also learned of the betrayal at the wedding). Great stuff, especially the reaction scenes from all the various shell-shocked guests who sort of wandered away from the Church after the bombs stopped dropping.

And in other news, I got to see TRACI!! :love7:

Monzo

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Did Michelle Stafford leave GH at her own request or was there a disagreement on a new contract? If she left GH for Y&R, she's got a bad deal. What great material she would have had at GH, but at Y&R she is consistently under-challenged. I didn't like Nick's and Phyllis' current break-up at all. Nick is not someone who looks for problems when there are none.

I also liked Gina Tognonii. I'm surprised that no other soap has wanted it yet. I could have bet sooner or later she'd show up at GH.

What else can you do with Ashland other than let him die? I prefer a widowed Victoria to one jetting around the world for miraculous healing.

Do you think Sharon is a good therapist? I was surprised when Victor called her as a consolation for Abby.

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Victor's sitting there with his patented Well I'll be damned look of amusement while Nikki is horrified
These scenes were classic Victor and Nikki. It’s not often they are silent yet their expressions did all of their talking for them.

But I am still hoping for a Nick and Sharon reunion now that Phyllis is, hopefully, out of the picture.

Of course I’m still holding out hope for a Lauren and Paul reunion someday so maybe my thinking is a little too wishful at times.

And in other news, I got to see TRACI!!
I love when Beth is on and i wish they would use her more often. I always enjoy her scenes with Peter. They have terrific chemistry.

I also liked Gina Tognonii
I’ve always preferred her to Michelle. I’m not saying MS isn’t talented as an actress because I do feel she is, but I just never could warm up to her portrayal of the Phyllis character. She’s someone I just can’t get behind and root for, whereas Gina came off as much more likable for me.

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
For many years there was a low-grade casting war between Y&R and GH. GH "stole" Michelle Stafford, Billy Miller, and Maura West; Y&R in turn stole Jason Thompson, Genie Francis, and Tristan Rogers (temporarily). Y&R had more money and better studio facilities; GH had more breaks and (overall) less producer/writer turnover. It was said that Michelle Stafford left Y&R for GH because she was overworked and wanted to play a less-prominent character in an ensemble (rather than being a central character moving everyone's stories). It was also said, however, that she left GH to return to Y&R because they were better able to accommodate her salary demands. I'm not sure if GH simply did not offer her a good enough raise or if they even discussed counter-offers---the story just kept circulating that GH was not able to offer the same kind of money that Y&R could (and did).

They really did do Gina Tognoni dirty in that whole mess, though. She handled it with such class, though.

Of course I’m still holding out hope for a Lauren and Paul reunion someday so maybe my thinking is a little too wishful at times.
I'm holding out hope that Traci can secretly buy up Fenmore's Department Stores and toss Lauren out on her ass for all the rotten things Lauren did to her back in the 1980s. So yeah, I can relate.

Last edited:

Monzo

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Abby's grief and Devon's support made me aware of how it always works: Devon talks forever about how much he mourned Hilary and then at the very end he says casually that he felt the same way with Neil. Also, Lilly and Moses never really mention that they mourned Neil's death. When other characters, especially younger ones like the supposed Chance die recently, there is epic mourning, but with Neil there was no one who plunged into a crisis. Why not? Katherine's death as a result of the death of Jeanne Cooper drove the story for many weeks, even years with her last will changing again and again, but with Neil nothing happened.

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
A sudden death like KSJ/Neil often occurs when months, even years of storylines have already been mapped out. Since storylines for the characters are so interconnected it might be too difficult for the writers to throw it all out and re-focus on a story surrounding such a sudden death in the vein of what we are seeing with Abby. If they were to change the mapped-out stories for two or three characters, it will also affect the surrounding characters (usually to the detriment of their screen time). Certain story points have to occur on pre-set calendar dates, so they have to stick to that schedule, even if they have the chance to do some rewrites and re-focus minor plot points to make sure the overall narrative is intact. The self-contained episodes honoring KSJ were the best compromise, because they could be produced without changing the show's storylines.

In the case of Jeanne Cooper, it was noticeable that she was in decline even as she continued to appear. They had to know she was (at best) on the verge of retiring (voluntarily or otherwise) so they had time to craft some post-Katherine stories and consider what the show would be like without her around.

When a character is killed off (or "killed" and comes back from the dead) just for drama, it's obviously been planned far in advance and the writers who came up with it likely refer back to it at every opportunity since they wrote it and remember it. If you get another scriptwriter writing that day, he or she might not even know the show beyond an outline, and miss the chance to refer to a recent death in the family to help broaden the scenes being written.

Monzo

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
30 years after his November 26, 1991 debut as Y&R’s Michael Baldwin, Christian J. LeBlanc’s Co-Stars share what makes him so great.

Tracey E. Bregman: “Happy anniversary, my dear, sweet, amazing TV hubby. The one I love to play with, dance with and act with so very much! You make me laugh and cry — on screen only — harder than them all. Love you and here’s to 30 more!”

Greg Rikaart: “Having the writers at Y&R reveal that Michael and Kevin were brothers was probably the most fortunate thing that’s happened to me in my career. The success of our familial dynamic was and is in large part due to Christian’s insistence on having our relationship be as specific as it could be. Putting in the work at work inevitably led to a wonderful relationship that exists not only with Michael and Kevin but also between Christian and myself. Christian is an exceptional actor and fantastic human. I’m grateful he’s in my life and grateful to celebrate him and Michael Baldwin! Happy Anniversary, Mikey!”

Judith Chapman: “My son, my son ... you never call. Your glow outshines us all and I’m proud to be your mumsy. Thoughtful, professional Christian, thank you for always giving JuJu her five seconds of Zen.

Michelle Stafford: “Christian is one of the best actors I have ever had the pleasure of working with. He is a fantastic friend, as well. In my opinion, he should be working on Y&R. Every. Single. Day.”

Eric Braeden: “Christian LeBlanc ... Christian LeBlanc! Wait a minute, I know that guy. I remember him. He was a damn good actor. In fact, he was my legal advisor. Oh yeah, now I remember. Where has he been? Has he made too much money from me? I want him back by my side. Enough vacation for him! I can’t believe I’ve been paying you for 30 years. I promise to pay you more if you come back.”