The Young and the Restless Watching The Young and the Restless

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My favorite soap ever -- decades of love and history with it.

And we get to (re)start it with the news that Hack Writer from Hell Chuck Pratt is out!

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
God, this was such an excellent show in the Bill Bell heyday--he and his staff knew exactly how to time and pace a storyline. It has been so horrible neglected and abused over the past decade. Even with a return to form, I'm not sure that the show could ever be the same again without Jeanne Cooper.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It is a shame that Jeanne Cooper didn't live long enough to see Sally Sussman Morina returning to head-write the show. It would have given her a reason to go on! SSM learned the soap biz at Bill Bell's side, and has gone back and forth to the show ever since. I don't want to pin all the hopes on her (after all, it's a very different climate in soaps nowadays), but this is definitely a goodwill gesture to fans who have been severely tested with the recent failed regimes (all the way back to Lynn Marie Latham).

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It really is epic news, though I've seen wildly varying effects "story consultants" can have on soaps. Still, you can't help but feel optimistic for the show's future.

It just makes me wonder: what the hell took them so long?

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I hate to get my hopes up, but if someone wanted to rebuild the Chancellor family--recast Philip IV and bring back Ronan and Nina as well--I could show some interest.

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The headwriter change happened today, December 07. It felt more like Y&R than it has in forever. They overdid it a bit with the John Abbott stuff but that's a smallest-violin-in-the-world kind of complain. They book-ended the show with melancholic versions of Nadia's Theme, a wonderful touch. The Abbotts felt real. Jess Walton (Jill finally sounded like herself) and Beth Maitland were phenomenal. I got more of a sense of Ashley than I have in a long time. Even Billy and Victoria were a little touching. And Victoria had a good start to a Victor/Victoria scene. Very, very promising.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, this is the first time I had watched an entire episode in ages. I just hope they can fix what has long been the show's weak spot, the Winters family. It's hard for me to see Little Richie--er, Devon--and not roll my eyes.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If Devon could take Hilary to the top of one of the many buildings he seems to own and push her to her death, that would be great. Or they could tone down her incessant dissatisfaction. :rolleyes:

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Seeing Jill is always a nice reminder of the show's glory days. Now if only they could bring back her grandson (Philip IV), even if they have to recast.

I guess Dylan will stop being dull when he's off the show.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Did anyone have a chance to watch the replay of Victor and Nikki's wedding that aired last Friday? (December 30) It was a great reminder of what made people love soaps in the first place--romance, drama, cast members both past and present there for the event, and even a bit of intrigue--and the wedding actually happened! Nowadays Nikki would lapse into a coma and they'd get married sometime between next month and the Twelfth of Never. :p

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lol @ Steve Burton leaving to "pursue new adventures."

Please, he was fired. He certainly can't go back to GH!

Against viewers will, he was shoved down everyone's throats for years and he thought he'd make-believe it big going to YandR.

Wrong! Now his part on GH is recast! Lol!

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He was great on GH because his character was brain damaged and since there's so few soaps to go around nowadays, his soap career is probably over.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's what happens when you repeatedly hitch your wagon to the same horse...or in this case, a broken-down ol' jackass named JFP.

It's a weird situation with GH though. Billy Miller was very, very popular as Billy Abbott on Y&R, and is now about as interesting as a pile of toenail clippings playing Jason Morgan on GH, the role that made Steve Burton so well-known. GH couldn't show Burton the door fast enough in 2012, so I don't think they would invite him to return....but Jason is being written so poorly these days that Burton would not entertain such an invitation, anyway.