Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I just hope that many people around the world don't think that you're safe to be near other people if you wear a mask. I see so many people say "wear a mask!" as if that alone will be enough. It absolutely is not. The virus can reach you through the membranes in your eyes as well. So we should all be wearing protective goggles as well as gloves.

On top of that, if you have gotten virus on your mask or your clothes and you touch the fabric with your hands, then you will likely get infected. I see people touching their masks with their bare hands (on the news) all the time. I also see many with valved masks. :fp:

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
watched a lot of soaps and documentaries and felt like my brain was melting.
But to be fair, my brain felt like it was melting every time I tried to watch Sunset Beach back in 1998, and there was no lockdown back then.

Oops, wrong thread. :p

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Timothy Adams's pecs were worth melting my brain a bit, but I'm sure your mileage may vary.

I have to say, I'm surprised I don't see more face coverings for sale in shops. The only place I've seen them for sale is WalMart, and they were selling boxes of the cheap, disposable ones. I assume all these bright, tasteful versions I see around town with all kinds of bells and whistles are home-made or (more likely) cottage-industry types making them to sell to friends. No fashion houses or major clothing retailers are advertising their versions, though they've certainly had time to retro-fit their factories to make them.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Timothy Adams's pecs were worth melting my brain a bit, but I'm sure your mileage may vary.

I have to say, I'm surprised I don't see more face coverings for sale in shops. The only place I've seen them for sale is WalMart, and they were selling boxes of the cheap, disposable ones. I assume all these bright, tasteful versions I see around town with all kinds of bells and whistles are home-made or (more likely) cottage-industry types making them to sell to friends. No fashion houses or major clothing retailers are advertising their versions, though they've certainly had time to retro-fit their factories to make them.
Etsy is the place for fancy couture facemasks.

thomaswak

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
Reaction score
Whatever the others do here, I wear a mask every time I go out. Every time. No exception. And I really wear it. Not like those people sticking their noses outside it, or having the mask on their necks or head (yes, I saw that many time)

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
We had to wear a face mask in public places in NYC by early April. I always do and it is not really an issue since most places have AC. But when I go to do my laundry (no AC there) it is horror because of how hot it gets.

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals
I went to the supermarket today and I was surprised how many people were there without a face covering even those it's meant to be compulsory. I would estimate about a third of the shoppers there we not complying.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
I am more tolerant of people not wearing masks than other stupid behavior because both WHO and the CDC here in the US, as well as various western health organizations, swore up and down in the first months of the pandemic NOT to wear masks, that only sick people should wear masks, and the rest of us should leave them alone. The real reason was to save masks for health care workers, but they did NOT say that. They claimed that masks were a waste of effort and people were even shamed for buying and wearing them. Once you present as scientific fact ("healthy people don't need masks" and EVERYBODY was parroting that all over social media, websites, and every single newspaper had article after article on that) what is a political logistics necessity, the cat's out of the bag with scientific credibility. In this era of skepticism and often outright paranoia, any dishonest proclamation a science body makes comes to bite them in the ass.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where I work they made us wear them since April, but the clients/visitors/customers could do as they wished...which was kind of stupid, but by June people had caught on. When the county made it mandatory to wear them (except if you're outside away from people, like jogging or just walking to your car) it was kind of like taking care of a detail, because 95% of the county was already doing it.

Same way at the Wal-Mart in my area-- before, masks were required for the workers there, but suggested for shoppers. Now, everyone has to have one on-- not just at Wal-Mart, but at The Home Depot.

Ome

Admin
Solutions
Reaction score
All I know is, after an hour or so wearing one in the shop yesterday it was horrible. Every time I breathed out my glasses would steam up, it was the most unnatural thing I have experienced and I really do feel for all those nurses/doctors/carers having to wear them all day, every day.

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I really do feel for all those nurses/doctors/carers having to wear them all day, every day.

Ive sat down to eat my lunch and about to take a 1st bite and realise my mask is still on :eck: and at the end of a working day im very glad to jump in my car and remove it.:dance:
When im in bed at night my face tingles with a funny sensation of having a mask on but since wearing it from March Ive got used to it and its no big deal now, Im much happier with it than without

Just wish that the general public would adhere to guidelines and that some people should have learned to put their hand over their mouth when they cough or sneeze a very long time ago. Its gross!

Reactions: Ome

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Another foggy-glass sufferer here. A friend sewed a mask for me out of cloth remnants (printed with raccoons!) and everything else was okay, but the foggy glasses thing got really annoying because there was no practical way to adjust it to stop the fog from rolling in. At the end of the day there is a film of...something...along the bottom of the glasses that has to be wiped off, too. So I only wear it when she's around. :D For every other situation, I'm wearing the cheap, disposable blue ones that have the pieces of metal imbedded in the area that goes over the bridge of the nose. It cuts the fog down a lot.
about to take a 1st bite and realise my mask is still on
Where I work, they had free coffee set up for guests just as you enter the door. Two different people poured coffee all over themselves because they forgot they had masks on (before we decided to take it down). Offering coffee, food samples and stuff like that has been discontinued in supermarkets and other places out of health concerns, but I wonder if they will ever bring it back. We're certainly hoping we don't have to mind the coffee table ever again.

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals
If your glasses fog up it's not fitted snugly enough. Get a mask that has a small metal strip at the top and ensure it is bent over the top of your nose properly. This will stop your exhaled air from going upwards and should prevent the problem.

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
Do you support wearing face coverings in public?

Today in England it is finally compulsory for people to wear face coverings in shops and in most indoor public spaces. It's about time and should have been insisted on weeks ago when the lockdown was beginning to be lifted.

I was watching the TV news and although there is general compliance, there were still a significant number of people whinging about their right not to wear a mask.

Doctors, nurses, hospital cleaner, carers and a wide range of key workers have to wear face masks all day and here were some people moaning about putting a mask on for 5 to 10 minutes while they walk around the supermarket.
I wear them but I have breathing problems through my mouth and my nose and sensitive airways. Am also a lifelong asthmatic and am on both oral and nasally taken medication. And regularly use steam inhalation. Within five minutes of putting the mask on, in most shops, sometimes I literally can’t see very well and am having breathing problems and am on the verge of vomiting. So I have to take them off as soon as I get out of the shops. Within one minute of walking into the local chemists, I am having trouble.

Last edited: