• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Wearing Face Coverings In Shops

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do you support wearing face coverings in public?

Today in England it is finally compulsory for people to wear face coverings in shops and in most indoor public spaces. It's about time and should have been insisted on weeks ago when the lockdown was beginning to be lifted.

I was watching the TV news and although there is general compliance, there were still a significant number of people whinging about their right not to wear a mask.

Doctors, nurses, hospital cleaner, carers and a wide range of key workers have to wear face masks all day and here were some people moaning about putting a mask on for 5 to 10 minutes while they walk around the supermarket.

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I support wearing face covers/masks in public. I always believe at any time I could become asymptomatic and make someone else sick or someone could make me sick. I believe in being a responsible person.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Ah yes the good old UNITED Kingdom :innocent:

Why not compulsory in NI Scotland or Wales?

Thanks Boris.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I go back to work on the 4th and will have to wear a mask all day for 12 hrs. People can wear a mask in public for a few mins or couple of hours.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I go back to work on the 4th and will have to wear a mask all day for 12 hrs. People can wear a mask in public for a few mins or couple of hours.
Exactly. We have become such a selfish society. How many of the people who refuse to wear face covering in shops would be outraged if a surgeon was operating on a member of their family an refused to were a mask? How many of them would expect carers to wear masks while looking after their elderly parents. It's all about "me, me, me" for some people, others have to do the right thing for my benefit but I'm not prepared to do my bit to protect others.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
How long have you been in lockdown?
I have been isolating/shielding from mid April. At the end of June I was able to go out more though and have contact with a limited amount of people outside. I have been properly outside my house, I mean beyond the garden only 6 times.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
They're not going to bullshit this bullshitter.

This is obviously a scheme by the Ugly People Society.
I do smile a lot at people just to indicate that I'm friendly, even if I don't know them, and I still find myself doing it even though they can see it under my face mask.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Where I work they made us wear them since April, but the clients/visitors/customers could do as they wished...which was kind of stupid, but by June people had caught on. When the county made it mandatory to wear them (except if you're outside away from people, like jogging or just walking to your car) it was kind of like taking care of a detail, because 95% of the county was already doing it. Wearing them while out shopping becomes kind of fun when you can stick your tongue out at people without them knowing.
It will be difficult to recognize criminals
Totally seriously, this is the stated reason all the local banks are keeping their lobbies closed. All banking has to be done through drive-thru, which is annoying as hell but they have no choice, since they can't have people enter their facilities with their face covered or obscured. This has been a rule for decades, for obvious reasons.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have been isolating/shielding from mid April
That must feel weird.
I do smile a lot at people just to indicate that I'm friendly
I do that too, Angela. It such a simple, and yet so powerful thing to do, and I believe it can make people feel better, if only for a little while.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
AS an NHS employee who has had to wear full PPE all the time at work since mid march I think that everyone SHOULD HAVE TO WEAR a face mask in public, in shops, trains, buses

We have to in Scotland, yet i see lots of people flouting the rules - both in shops and on trains :(

If i have to wear it for 8 hours at work for the last dont know how many long weeks - people can wear it to do their shopping and stop being so selfish

The one thing i do notice is = i have asthma and i found i am sticking my tongue out a lot under my mask, maybe it helps me breathe, but i hope it stops when the masks finally come off or i will look a bit "GLAIKIT" as we say N of the border

The other thing is people / patients dont know we are smiling under the masks and deaf people struggle as so many will lip read and now cant.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
That must feel weird.
It's not been great. Mentally it's been hard. You think it would be a luxury to have that time off, but it's not when you are under house arrest basically. It's very hard to be motivated to do anything and there is no routine or normality. I read a lot, watched a lot of soaps and documentaries and felt like my brain was melting.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
It's not been great. Mentally it's been hard. You think it would be a luxury to have that time off, but it's not when you are under house arrest basically. It's very hard to be motivated to do anything and there is no routine or normality. I read a lot, watched a lot of soaps and documentaries and felt like my brain was melting.

I am jealous of people who were off work during the C19 crisis, I have a friend who was furloughed and she has loved every minute of it, she has taken up new hobbies / skills, improved her fitness and signed up to 2 online classes which are American so she gets up at 3am to take part!

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am jealous of people who were off work during the C19 crisis, I have a friend who was furloughed and she has loved every minute of it, she has taken up new hobbies / skills, improved her fitness and signed up to 2 online classes which are American so she gets up at 3am to take part!
I can see that and it's great that people have been making something positive out of being in furlough but there's another side to the situation.

I'm self employed and all my work dried up once the lockdown started so I've not worked for months. Because I live at alone I've not had a proper face to face conversation with anyone since March. I not touched anyone, shaken any hands, hugged anyone, shared a joke with anyone, cried with any one. I've had friends who have lost parents or partners to Covid-19 and I've not be able to console them properly. Yes, I've had phone conversations and Zoom calls but it's not the same. I don't drive so I can't easily get to someone to form "a bubble" with them and. Work would give me something positive to do amongst all the negativity of being in lockdown and without that it has been really difficult to feel appreciated, wanted or good about myself. Thankfully, I've mostly been ok but it's not been easy.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do I wear a mask? No, I don't. I've seen exactly TWO people in this town with mask on. It's more common in the bigger cities, but not compulsory.
The reason why I don't wear a mask when I go to the grocery shop is because no one else is wearing a mask. I don't want to be the only one. Yes, I know it's a silly reason, but that really is why. I rather stay at least 5 feet away from nearest person which is what I aim for.

I haven't worked since March 17. I am going back beginning mid August. I work in a school with almost 600 teenagers. Keeping 5 feet away from everyone at all times will be absolutely impossible.

I am wondering if I should start wearing a mask at least when I'm in a classroom. On the other hand, there have been no COVID deaths in this town yet and less than 100 infected.

I don't even have a mask. Those paper masks are good for nothing at all. I don't even know who sells proper masks that don't cost a fortune. I've only seen those filter masks that can only be used once. Anyone know if scarves are useful?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I started to go a bit nuts after about 3 weeks. There is only so much you can do around the house, I did some painting that needed done. Cleared out wardrobes and moved furniture around, moved it back. It was the fact that I couldn't see anyone else for months except those in my household. I missed the social interaction, and my two best friends worked in the Covid hospital here so I couldn't see them until a few weeks ago. I have been trying to get back to work since mid May but Occupational Health wouldn't have any of it because I had a shielding letter and had to follow gov advice. Constantly back and forth between docs and work for the last few weeks and finally the shielding is ending so I can go back but I have been told I could have to shield again! I haven't loved it and cant wait to get back some kind of normality and routine and work off some of this lockdown weight.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I can see that and it's great that people have been making something positive out of being in furlough but there's another side to the situation.

I'm self employed and all my work dried up once the lockdown started so I've not worked for months. Because I live at alone I've not had a proper face to face conversation with anyone since March. I not touched anyone, shaken any hands, hugged anyone, shared a joke with anyone, cried with any one. I've had friends who have lost parents or partners to Covid-19 and I've not be able to console them properly. Yes, I've had phone conversations and Zoom calls but it's not the same. I don't drive so I can't easily get to someone to form "a bubble" with them and. Work would give me something positive to do amongst all the negativity of being in lockdown and without that it has been really difficult to feel appreciated, wanted or good about myself. Thankfully, I've mostly been ok but it's not been easy.

I love you :love8::love8: