"Well, its my last show. Maybe not."

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
“The day I remember most clearly was my last day where I took off Jeff’s proverbial suit. They loved me because I never threw my costume on the floor. I always hung it up.” OF COURSE JEFF DID. “I put it on a hanger, placed it in the closet, looked at the suit and said ‘Goodbye Jeff,’ and closed the closet and that was the end of it. Bye.”
:(

The end of DYNASTY was a sad day for all of us.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Medals
Playing opposite Collins, John James had a device that made fart noises, which would so fool and exasperate her, she’d cry out, “JJ, would you go to the bloody bathroom?”
:crazy:

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
Reaction score
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
Medals
“Dynasty had very different kind of intensity,” James said. "There was something about it that drove people crazy."
JJ is actually right about that -- it's not just that DYNASTY was popular at the time ... it was seen by the press (and much of the public) as an almost ground zero kind of cultural entity during the '80s.

The frenetic press and hype it received from Spring of 1982, late S2, onward, even thru the dreadful 1991 reunion, was spastic and evergreen -- the kind of hype usually reserved for a fairly new show. Yet it continued with DYNASTY even thru its crappiest years when ratings were way down and nobody was even watching anymore.

It was kind of like people's collective sense of DYNASTY's potential was so pronounced that it superceded what the series actually was.

I think that goes back to not just the clothes but to what's been called the 'archetypal' casting for the original DYNASTY. Not everybody was Olivier or Streep, but nearly all the actors seemed perfectly cast in their roles for some reason, even when the writer-producers didn't usually know what to do with them.

Which is part of the travesty of the program: undiluted potential unrealized and subverted.

That's certainly why I'm here...

----

An archetype can be:
  1. a statement, pattern of behavior, or prototype (model) which other statements, patterns of behavior, and objects copy or emulate. (Frequently used informal synonyms for this usage include "standard example", "basic example", and the longer form "archetypal example". Mathematical archetypes often appear as "canonical examples".)

Last edited:

TJames03

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
So does everyone think Bellwood was being a bitch or that she was right in her opinions? So in all of their infinite wisdom (sarcasm.....), the producers slashed Bellwood's farewell scenes because they had the ass with her for taking them to task RE: their inane writing......

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
Reaction score
Medals
So does everyone think Bellwood was being a bitch or that she was right in her opinions? So in all of their infinite wisdom (sarcasm.....), the producers slashed Bellwood's farewell scenes because they had the ass with her for taking them to task RE: their inane writing......
Bellwood is an intelligent woman and an excellent actress. Just how was she going to feel about the ongoing creative morass that was DYNASTY? And, unlike the bigger stars, she wasn't even being all that compensated for it.

Nolan Miller dumps on her in that interview, but he seems to have a little bit of Jeff Colby in him: he aligns himself with whomever has stature -- and perhaps he felt he had to given his position as Spelling's in-house couturier. He goes out of his way to make excuses for Joan's on set behavior, but then trashes Bellwood's.

He's kinder to Oxenberg and explains her departure as being the result of bad representation.

I'm sure Pamela Bellwood became beyond exasperated over the scripting and characterization issues the show had going, and how they affected her portrayal of Claudia. That's not to say that I agree with her desire to have Claudia graduate into Good Mental Health Poster Child either.

Miller also suggests Diahann Carroll was a bitch. And has terrible things to say about Kate Jackson's neurosis.

Reactions: Ked

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
I was always wondering what went down with Bellwood and the producers in her final year ever since Nolan Miller made a comment about "nobody being sad to see her go" or something to that effect. Presumably, butting heads over the writing was it. Or at least part of it.

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
Reaction score
Medals
Bellwood said in that 2000 "E!" program on DYNASTY that Claudia "kind of died a horrible death... and there were reasons behind the scenes that that happened ... but I didn't want her to go badly -- I really didn't want her to go badly."

The Pollocks apparently harrassed her about her weight and her appearance during her last year since she was pregnant. Nolan put her in a lot of big sweaters and then placed her behind large plants and wing chairs, and that mostly obscured it. But Bellwood committed the cardinal sin of speaking about it publicly right after leaving the show, saying that the producers took what should have been a joyous time in her life and turned it into something unnecessarily stressful.

I can only imagine the clench-fisted psychic maelstrom that must have erupted among the brass after Leann Hunley outed the show on its static acting directive, with her stating that the line producer routinely rushed the actors in the middle of shooting scenes whenever they gestured too naturally... And we wonder how that lobotomized rigidity occurred with the actors?? Not only were they instructed to not move, but they were terrified of being assailed by the furies of Elaine Rich and her cigar (whether she smoked one or not).

Of course S.A.D. was there to be seen by the viewer for years, but no one had ever dared talk about it until just before Hunley left in 1988.

And let's not forget that Forsythe and others said that the producers "didn't know what they wanted" for the show, and it's painfully obvious. They just knew what they didn't want the actors to do.

A classic highly neurotic dictatorship dynamic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ked

TJames03

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
I would have totally had Claudia's charred arm slip down from under the sheet as her body was taken out in a stretcher.

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
Medals
It seemed that Pamela Bellwood's departure wasn't planned until later in season 6 as in Terry Wogan's Xmas 1985 interview (which I'm guessing was filmed probably late summer/early autumn) She states that while they didn't write in her pregnancy for s6, the producers did say that Claudia would have Adam's baby in season 7, or am I giving TPTB too much credit for forward thinking?

TJames03

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
Even at the height of her popularity, Claudia was always a supporting character, so if PB had an ego, I'm not sure where it was coming from.

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
Reaction score
Medals
Even at the height of her popularity, Claudia was always a supporting character, so if PB had an ego, I'm not sure where it was coming from.
Bellwood said, "Everyone had a really huge ego at that time -- but I think that's what the producers encouraged; I mean, they didn't really like it but it gave them a lot of publicity."

Don't know if that helps.

TJames03

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
Yeah, that helps. I suppose if you're part of something international that's taking the planet by storm, even minor players will get an ego.

TJames03

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
However, it should be noted that most of the cast fell off the screen when the show ended just as much as they exploded onto the screen when the show first reached popularity.

Majorfanofshow

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
What’s very clear is that James and Thomson never beleieved their acting was being directed in any way that wasn’t normal. SAD is a ridiculous and nonsensical excuse for the bad Actors dynasty hired to play several roles.