What does DALLAS mean to you?

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hearing my mother and her sisters talking about WHO SHOT JR, years after the series ended! They grew up watching DALLAS, in the 70s and 80s (my family never watched the 90s episodes)

I was curious about this show, which as a child in the 90s, hadn’t long ended, it was still very much in the recent past.

I finally watched Dallas around 2001-03, the first five or so seasons, and I was hooked, I watched the 1987-91 era before I watched the 1984-87 era funnily enough, and I was wondering if the show had been retooled into some sitcom??? I couldn’t believe that JR who just a few short years earlier struck fear into the hearts of many, could be defeated by a bunch hillbillies.

I made a vow to watch only the 1978-84 era over and over while taking the 1984-87 era with a pinch of salt, and disavowing the 1987-91 era.

B.J. Ewing

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I thought about this thread’s question and at first I didn’t have an answer. But then I read Rove and Sarah’s comments and I think that says it all...

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dallas means a lot to me.

I always tried to be available when it was on, so I never missed an episode of Lorimar Dallas.

I absolutely love the Dallas theme music. It was just so perfect.

The show was just so good to watch. Nothing will ever compare to it.

I love the show. Dallas is just the best. :)

You summed it up nicely!

I visited this thread again because during the first couple of years of Dallas, things were pretty rough in the world, and the show made such a good distraction. And here we are again, with uncertainty and doubt.

It's a great time to watch a fabulously wealthy family and the schemes of that Magnificent Bastard, the one we love to hate!

I encourage all of you to do a rewatch of your favorite seasons. Now is a great time for it!

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is a good thread! Thanks @Lastkidpicked!

I was only in 7th grade when I started watching Dallas, and it was just before we found out Kristin shot JR. A family friend suggested it and we never missed an episode after watching that first one.

It was something my whole family liked to watch together so it always reminds me of that. Friday night was Dallas night!

Since I grew up watching the show, when I watch it again, it's like having a group of old friends in my living room for an hour.

I've watched it quite a few times now and it's been like getting an education on what makes a good TV show work. I now understand the psychology behind what makes good TV. I see why they did things the way they did, in the best years of it. It's amazing they got such a great cast with such great scripts weekly and kept it as good as they did for as long as they did. They caught lightning in a bottle. Dallas was the real peak TV, before anyone ever said "peak TV."

Srqmom

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I was 10 in 1985 and remember bits of Dallas in the 80’s. Dallas and Dukes of Hazard resonated with me then as I was growing up in a small southern town. All the other shows were set on NYC or Cali and we couldn’t relate. It was fun to have characters with accents, farms, back roads. But of course, Dallas has the glitz we never had!
Now I got my 19 yr old son and younger hubby hooked on Dallas! The theme music is the best!

Last edited:

JC20071991

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Dallas provided me with a good distraction a few years ago. I was quite unwell and off work for a long period of time confined to my own home... I needed a distraction and it was a show I’d always wanted to properly watch and I knew at that point I’d have time to do so so I bought the box set off Amazon and watched the whole 357 episodes within a few months. Not only was it a great show with great performances and storylines but it also provided me with a distraction from everything else. It’ll always mean quite a lot to me for that reason.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
You summed it up nicely!

I visited this thread again because during the first couple of years of Dallas, things were pretty rough in the world, and the show made such a good distraction. And here we are again, with uncertainty and doubt.

It's a great time to watch a fabulously wealthy family and the schemes of that Magnificent Bastard, the one we love to hate!

I encourage all of you to do a rewatch of your favorite seasons. Now is a great time for it!

I've been a very naughty boy & purchased this. So it means I've got the entire series, twice!!

Dallas Complete Collection.jpg

The great thing about this release, is the DVD's are single sided.

I've now started a re-watch from the very first episode as I immerse myself into the continuing saga of Southfork Ranch once again.

Brilliant series. I absolutely adore this show. :love2:

Alexis Colby Carrington

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's special as it reminds me of my Mam. I remember watching the later seasons with her even though she'd watched from the beginning here in the UK, I remember it being on when I came home from school in the 80s - did I imagine this? April's season was the first I truly remember, the theme tune to the show is like no other, I also then watched the whole series from beginning to end when it was shown on CBS Drama here in the UK, then the rebooted version also. It's a great show and there isn't anything I don't like about it. I always preferred Sue Ellen to any other character.

Ukdallasfan

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Coming from a working class family in England, Dallas was like nothing I had ever seen before on TV. Rich people leading the kind of lives that my family could only dream about and, yet, there was so much unpleasantness and misery! It was a combination like no other and I loved it pretty much from the word go.
Echo the comments about it being reminiscent of family life- all sitting down together to watch the latest episode and then in agony for the next one with a whole seven days to wait.
I may be wrong but I seem to remember that it had a Thursday evening slot over here and I would rush to get my homework done as soon as I got in from school so that I could watch it guilt free. Those were the days...
It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who remains vaguely obsessed with the show! My family mildly make fun of me for it but I don’t care.
The final season for me was the real disappointment. Before that I persisted out of loyalty and love for the show and the original cast members, even though the quality of the plot lines was faltering rapidly :)

pd fan

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For me Dallas means a lot to me ,great memories of my childhood ,waiting every Saturday night with my parents to watch the show, I was only ten years when it was broadcast on tv in France I loved it from the very first time and never get it ,it was an old good time that I don't want to forget and Dallas was a big part of it ,at that time we had no internet and we were more happy ,anyway I always think it was the best soap from all the time and I never get tired to watch it again ,great story lines ,great cast and great actors, in my eyes it will be always the number one series :love7: