• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

What If

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
So, is Jeremy poisoning Sue Ellen to make her feel ill or is she actually sick and the doctors are reading tampered results? Hmm

The proposal was very cute :) Sue Ellen was mighty shocked JR wanted anything to do with a horse :giggle:

K

Karin Schill

Yikes Jeremy is pure evil in this story!
I know he ended up in prison on the show and came across as chilly. But I never thought he was this bad!

Kimberly is so going down with him.

Poor Sue Ellen bring poisoned. :(

Pam is like an elephant in the room. When will she be found?

I can see why Katherine wants her freedom.

Cute proposal. I look forward to the wedding.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?

What If

Part 40

"Well?" Lucy asked, grinning when JR and Sue Ellen came into the kitchen. U)

"She said yes," JR laughed. "Told you I wouldn't have any trouble sealing the deal."

Sue Ellen held up her hand and showed her new ring to her niece. "Isn't it beautiful?"

"It really is," Lucy smiled, standing up to give her aunt a hug. "I am really happy for you."

"Where are the boys?"Sue Ellen asked, stepping out of the hug. "I want to show them."

"They're out in the pool with Jenna," Lucy told her.

Sue Ellen nodded, kissed JR on the cheek, and walked out onto the patio.

"Bobby called from the office to talk to you," Lucy told JR. "He's on his way back to Southfork. He said for you to stick around, he had something really important to talk to you and Sue Ellen about."

"Thanks," JR's face grew dark. "If he wants to talk to both of us, must be bad news."

"Hope not," Lucy sighed. "We've had more than enough bad news lately in this family."

"Yes," JR agreed. "Sue Ellen will probably want to go over the guest list for the wedding with you later."

"I'll be around," Lucy told him. "Speaking of wedding guests, it doesn't look like Mitch is going to make it."

"That's too bad," JR said. "I know you wanted to see him."

"Yes, but I can go to Atlanta after the wedding and visit. That way he doesn't have to worry about leaving Afton."

"It's none of my business, but Afton can take care of herself. She can survive alone in Atlanta for a weekend," JR said. "Sounds like a bad excuse to me."

"Well, JR, contrary to your belief, you don't know everything. And you're right, it's none of your business.," Lucy snapped. "I'll be upstairs whenever Sue Ellen decides she wants to go over the guest list."

JR watched her stalk out of the kitchen and wondered why Afton was such a touchy subject with Lucy. He made a mental note to do some digging around to satisfy his curiosity and walked out onto the patio. He didn't believe for one minute that Mitch was refusing to come see Lucy because of Afton. If there was something else going on, he was damn sure going to find out what it was before that big city doctor had a chance to break Lucy's heart again.

"How's the headache?"

Cliff turned his head from the window and glanced at April. "Better. Down to a dull roar."

"You should be home in bed," April griped, "not running around answering Bobby's beck and call."

"I'm sure whatever reason he had for wanting me to meet him at Southfork is a good one," Cliff said quietly.

"He could have just as easily come to you!" April shot back.

"Maybe it's something he needs to talk to the whole family about at once," Cliff shrugged.

"Maybe, so," April sighed, turning off the main road and into Southfork. "Which means it's probably about Pam."

"Probably," Cliff agreed. "I know this isn't how you wanted to spend your afternoon. Thanks for driving me."

"That's what friends are for, Cliff."

"I hope it's not bad news," Cliff said. "I'm just getting used to having hope that I can maybe get Pam back to me. I don't want to lose that hope."

April parked her car in the driveway, shut off the engine, and turned to look at him. "I know, Cliff. Just remember, I'm here for you, no matter what happens."

Cliff smiled a small smile and nodded. He had a bad feeling about this, and he just couldn't shake it.

Kimberly looked at the envelope sitting on her desk and mentally debated about whether or not to open it. Jeremy had ordered her to deliver it to JR. She hated going in blind. If there was something in there that was going to fire JR up, he would take all of his wrath out on her. She also needed to consider the possibility that Jeremy had put something in there to implicate her, just out of spite.

She sighed heavily and reached for the envelope. Jeremy hadn't left instructions for her NOT to open it. She may as well take the opportunity to see what she was getting herself into.

She took a letter opener and broke the envelope's seal. She carefully pulled the contents out and spread them across her desk. Her eyes widened slightly when she realized what she was looking at.

"Oh, my God," she breathed out, "Sue Ellen?"

"Daddy!" Christopher jumped out of the pool and ran over to Bobby, "you're home!"

"Yes I am!" Bobby smiled. "And I am so happy to see you!"

"Did you bring me anything?" Christopher asked, excited.

"I sure did," Bobby laughed. "I have something for you and for John Ross. You can have it after I unpack. I need to talk to your Aunt Sue Ellen. Mind if I borrow her for a few minutes?"

"No. Can I stay in the pool with Aunt Jenna?"

"Of course," Bobby said. "I'll be back out in just a little while."

Christopher ran off back to the pool and Sue Ellen stood to give Bobby a hug. "I'm glad you're back," she smiled. "JR went up for a shower and Cliff is in the house with April and Miss Ellie."

"Good," Bobby nodded. He smiled when he saw the new ring on her hand. "I guess congratulations are in order."

"Yes," Sue Ellen beamed. "I can hardly believe it."

"I am so happy for you and JR. It's about time you guys got your act together."

"Long past time," Sue Ellen laughed.

They made their way into the living room where Ellie, April, and Cliff had gathered to wait for him.

"I'll go up and get JR," Sue Ellen offered.

"No need, darlin'," JR said, coming in from the foyer, "I'm already here."

"I think I'll go out to the pool and visit with the boys," April said, standing up. "Cliff, come get me if you need anything."

"Thanks, April," he squeezed her hand affectionately and watched her walk from the room.

"Well," Bobby sighed, running his hand through his hair. "I talked to Harv Smithfield today. I asked him to take a close look at the Zurich law firm that is handling Pam's estate. He found out some things that lead me to believe…" his voice trailed off.

"What?" Cliff urged him on, "lead you to believe what?"

Bobby took another deep breath and fixed his eyes on Cliff's face. "I think there's a very good chance that Pam is alive and being held somewhere against her will."

Kimberly parked her car across the street from the house and checked the address again. She pulled down the visor, checked her hair and makeup and then inhaled deeply in an effort to calm her nerves.

She was taking a huge risk by coming here, but she just HAD to know. The information Jeremy had told her to give to JR was explosive. JR was going to lose his mind. If any of it was true, it would cause shockwaves through Dallas's oil industry.

She got out of the car and quickly crossed the street. She reached out and pressed the doorbell, holding her breath and praying someone was home. She jumped a little when the door creaked open and a lovely young lady appeared in front of her. "May I help you?"

"Hello, Crystal," Kimberly tried to smile at the other woman. "My name is Kimberly Cryder. I have something very important I need to talk to you about."

"I don't understand, Bobby," Sue Ellen said. "How can they administer Pam's estate if Pam never hired them?"

"They were hired by a trustee on her behalf," Bobby answered. "They never even met with the trustee. Everything was done over the phone and through the mail."

"What kind of lawyer operates that way?" JR asked. "How can they serve their client when they don't even know who their client is?"

"This firm has a history of shady dealings," Bobby told him. "They've had multiple complaints filed against them and there's been at least three investigations by the government. Somehow, they always seem to slip out of trouble."

"So what can we do, Bobby?" Cliff asked. "All the communications between the lawyers and the trustee are privileged. There's no way for us to find out any details."

"I'm going to have to go to Zurich," Bobby answered. "Harv suggested I hire a PI firm over there, but I want to go personally. That's the only way I can trust the results of any investigation."

"When will you leave?" Ellie asked.

"Monday after the wedding," he told her. He turned his attention to JR and Sue Ellen. "I know you two were looking forward to a long honeymoon, but do you think you could postpone it until I get back? I don't think we all ought to leave the boys at once."

"Of course, Bobby!" Sue Ellen said. "But I have to tell you, I don't like the idea of you going over there all alone."

"That won't be a problem," Cliff broke in, "I'm going with him."

"I thought you'd feel that way," Bobby smiled.

"How much are you going to tell the boys?" Ellie asked.

"Just that I'm going to look for Information about Pam. They deserve to know that at least."

"Don't you worry about the boys," JR said. "The excitement of wedding plans will keep them distracted for a while. Sue Ellen and I will keep a close on them while you're gone."

"Then I guess it's all settled," Bobby nodded.

"There's something I don't understand," Sue Ellen cut in. "You said you had reason to believe Pam was being held against her will. Why do you think that?"

Bobby's eyes grew dark. "Because Katherine is involved. I don't know her exact role, but I promise you this; if it turns out she has hurt Pam in any way, a long jail sentence is going to be the least of her worries."

"Hello, April."

April looked up to see her ex husband standing over her. "Hi, Jack. I heard you were back."

"Considering the entrance I made I guess half of Dallas knows I'm back by now," he grimaced, taking a seat at the patio table across from her. "Ray told me you'd been spending a lot of time at Southfork lately."

"Sue Ellen and I have become close," April told him. "But today I'm here for Cliff."

"Oh yes. Cliff. How is my sister's widower doing these days?"

"Fine," April answered shortly. "And I'm not going to discuss him with you."

"Is that a fact?" Jack mocked her. "Afraid I'll bring up how you destroyed Jamie's marriage?"

"Cliff and Jamie had problems long before me and you know it."

"Maybe," Jack conceded, "but you sure had no issues crawling into the bed of a married man."

April stood up and glared at him. "If I were you, I wouldn't call into question anyone else's morals. Speaking of which, what brings you back to Southfork? Flat broke and in need of rescuing again?"

She stormed off before he could answer. Jack shook his head as he watched her disappear into the house. He leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. He knew he would run into her sooner or later. Time hadn't lessened his feelings about her - he still couldn't stand the sight of her.

"I already told you!" Crystal's voice was frustrated, "I don't know anything about any of this! I didn't even know my brother had a bomb until after he was dead! All I knew was that Jeremy had him a gotten a job, I swear!"

"I believe you,' Kimberly assured her, "but that is your brother in the picture with Mrs. Ewing, is it not?"

"Yes," Crystal said in a small voice. "What are you going to do with that? Mr. and Mrs. Ewing have been very kind to me. I don't want them to get hurt."

"I'm going to give all this to JR, just like Jeremy asked me to. What he chooses to do with it afterward is up to him."

"I'll never believe Mrs. Ewing had anything to do with the explosion," Crystal told her.

"I admit, it is rather unbelievable," Kimberly said evenly. "But I don't need to tell you, of all people,how dangerous Jeremy can be; JR too for that matter. I am going to pass along this information to JR and then get out of the way. I suggest, for your own good, that you do the same."

"JR? Why are you up here all by yourself?"

JR turned and smiled at his wife. He had come upstairs for a few minutes of peace and quiet. He wasn't sure how he felt about Bobby traveling to Zurich on what could be a wild goose chase and he wanted some time alone to consider how to approach Bobby with his concerns.

"Oh, just thinking," he told her. "Trying to wrap my brain around everything Bobby said."

"You don't like the idea of him going to Zurich, do you?"

JR chuckled. "Sometimes I forget how well you know me and how easy it is for you to read my face."

Sue Ellen shrugged and walked over to wrap her arms around his waist. "Well, I have had years of practice, after all."

She laid her head on his shoulder as he gathered her close for a hug. "How are you feeling?" he asked, changing the subject.

Sue Ellen knew better than to try to push him about Bobby if he wasn't ready, so she let the subject drop. "I'm fine," she told him. "Just a little tired."

"You want to lay down and rest for a while?"

"I want to lay down," she smiled at him seductively, "but I don't want to rest."

JR laughed again and bent his head to claim her lips. "You don't have to tell me twice, darlin'."

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Whoever it is, I will kill for her. Just point me in the right direction.

#TeamSueEllen

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Miss Texas 1967, I forgot to give you credit for the scene where Christopher is shown his picture with Kristen. Totally your idea ♥️

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?

What If

Part 41

"That's so neat, Uncle Cliff!" Christopher gushed. He was sitting next to his uncle on the sofa in Southfork's living room looking through a book on Canadian wildlife Cliff had given him as a present. "Did you see any of these when you were up there?"

"No, I'm afraid I didn't see one single moose," Cliff laughed. "But we were in the city. Maybe someday we can go back together and explore the wilderness."

"You in the wilderness?" April asked incredulously from her chair across from them. "Now that would be a sight to see!"

"It sure would," JR agreed, breezing into the room and heading to the bar to make himself a drink. "I have a feeling it would end in an emergency search and rescue."

"Hey," Cliff defended himself, "I can rough it if I need to."

"You DO know they don't deliver Chinese takeout to the Canadian wilderness, right?" April teased him.

Her comment drew a chuckle from JR and an outraged sigh from Cliff.

"I believe you, Uncle Cliff!" Christopher said firmly.

"Believing Cliff Barns," Jack said from the doorway. "Now there's a risky proposition."

"Jack," Cliff nodded at him. "Good to see you again,"

"I can't say the same," Jack said bitterly.

JR frowned, walked over to the couch and squatted in front of Christopher. "Why don't you go on upstairs and get cleaned up for dinner," he said. "After we eat, maybe Aunt Sue Ellen and I will play a game with you and John Ross."

"Okay, Uncle JR," Christopher jumped up. "Are you staying for dinner, Uncle Cliff?"

"Oh…I don't know…" Cliff stammered. "I hadn't planned on it."

"Of course he's staying. April too," JR ended all discussion on the matter. "Uncle Cliff came to Southfork to spend time with you, and that's exactly what he's going to do. Right, Cliff?"

"Right, JR," Cliff gave in. He turned his attention back to Christopher. "You go get cleaned up, champ. I'll be here when you come back."

"Cool!" Christopher gave Cliff a quick hug then ran out of the room.

"You want a drink, Jack?" JR asked the other man.

"No thanks, JR."

"Fine. Can I have a minute alone with you in the kitchen?" He didn't wait for an answer, simply walked from the room expecting that Jack would follow him.

"Now you listen here, Jack," JR said as soon as they were alone. "I don't know why you came back to Southfork and I don't particularly care. You're welcome here because Mama and Clayton say so, but I'm warning you to lay off Cliff and April. Cliff is a very important part of Christopher's life and I won't have him insulted in this house in front of that boy. If I can put up with Barnes being around, anyone can. Do I make myself clear?"

"Perfectly clear, JR," Jack bit off.

"Good," JR smiled. "That's enough unpleasantness then. Come on back into the living room and let me buy you that drink."

"Lucy? Do you have a minute?"

Lucy looked up and waved her aunt into her bedroom. "Sure, Sue Ellen."

"I just wanted to thank you for everything you did helping JR plan the proposal and the wedding. It was all so very sweet of you."

"Oh, your welcome, Sue Ellen. I actually enjoyed doing it."

Sue Ellen nodded at her niece. "I was wondering..well, JR has asked Bobby and Ray to stand up for him at the wedding. I need a couple of bridesmaids. I was wondering...would you be interested in being my maid of honor?"

"Me?" Lucy asked, surprised. "I thought you'd ask Jenna. Or maybe April."

"Well I plan to ask April to be a bridesmaid, but I really would love for you to be the one next to me. We've become so close over the last few weeks and you've done so much for me and the boys and JR. Lucy, there's no one else I would rather have at my side on my wedding day. I'd be honored if you'd agree."

Lucy's face broke out into a wide, bright smile. "I agree!" she laughed, jumping off the bed to give Sue Ellen a big hug. "I agree!"

"How is the packing going?" Ellie asked Jenna, taking a seat on the patio beside her.

"Slowly," Jenna admitted. "Sometimes I think I should just donate it all and buy all new stuff in Switzerland."

"I can understand that," Ellie laughed. "You know if you need some help all you need do is ask."

"I know, Miss Ellie," Jenna smiled. "I'm going to force myself to dedicate my entire day to it tomorrow. I'll leave Charlie's room like it is until she gets here at the end of the week. She's made it clear she wants to pack up her own room."

"I'm so glad she's coming back for the wedding," Ellie said. "It will be wonderful to see her again."

"Yes. She's very excited. And I know you are so happy to know your whole family will be here - Gary, Valene...and Donna too."

"Jenna, are you bothered that Donna is coming?"

"No. Not really." Jenna was silent for a moment. "I suppose things will always be a little awkward between me and Donna. But she's just as much a part of the family as I am. And it will be wonderful for Ray to be able to spend some time with Margaret."

"Yes, I know he's looking forward to it," Ellie replied. "Jenna, I know things haven't always been smooth for you in the family. First with Bobby and then Donna. But you have become like a daughter to me, same as Sue Ellen and Pam and Donna. You're a Ewing and I love you deeply."

"Thank you, Miss Ellie," Jenna smiled. "I love you all very much. Well… most of you. I'm still on the fence about JR."

Ellie laughed out loud and patted Jenna on the hand. "See there? You definitely belong. That was spoken like a true Ewing!"

"I don't know, JR," Ray said doubtfully. "Sounds like he's going over there on a wild goose chase."

"I had the exact same thought," JR agreed. "I won't tell him not to go. I can't. If it was Sue Ellen, I'd be doing the exact same thing."

"But?"

"But Bobby and Cliff are too emotionally involved. They both want her to be alive so badly I worry they'll be taken in by false hope."

"Well, what can we do about it?"

"I can't do anything. I have to stay with the boys. Plus, I've already been out of the office so long I'm surprised Weststar hasn't completely fallen apart. But you… well, I just figured since you were going to be in Switzerland anyway…"

"You want me to keep an eye on Bobby?"

"Not so much on him as out for him," JR said. "He'll need someone who can filter Information with reason instead of with hope."

"I'll do what I can, JR," Ray promised. "But you know Bobby will do whatever he wants no matter what I say."

"Yes," JR sighed, "but at least this way we have a fighting chance of keeping him from doing anything stupid. I don't trust Katherine and I don't trust this law firm. I'd just feel better if I had your eyes and ears on the situation. The last thing in the world Christopher needs is to have Bobby so consumed by finding Pam that he forgets where his responsibility really lies."

"This is just too weird," Jack sighed to himself as he watched the family fill up their plates from the buffett and take seats around the patio.

JR and Sue Ellen were so happy, they were practically giddy. Jenna and Bobby were laughing and cooing over baby Lucas while Ray looked on smiling. Cliff and April were sitting at the same table as JR and Sue Ellen and seemed to be having a wonderful time with the boys and Lucy.

"Weird," he said again.

"What's weird?" Clayton asked, sitting down beside him.

"This," Jack said, gesturing towards the family. "When I left Dallas, half of these people couldn't stand the sight of one another."

"Things change," Clayton shrugged. "And I think it's all changed for the better."

"Sorry, Clayton. I guess it's all just going to take some getting used to."

"I imagine so," Clayton said. "Have you thought any more about what you and I discussed earlier?"

"Yes," Jack said. "It's not that I don't appreciate the offer, Clayton, but I don't know much about horses. There's no way I can take Ray's place."

"I don't expect you to take his place," Clayton told him. "And you can learn anything you don't know. I need help. You need a job. You coming to work for me seems like an obvious solution to both problems."

"Yes," Jack agreed. "I promise to give it serious thought. I'll let you know in a few days. Before Ray leaves."

Clayton nodded and moved back to his seat beside Miss Ellie.

A loud wave of laughter caught Jack's attention. JR and Cliff were shooting water guns at the boys and everyone else seemed to be enjoying the show.

"Damn, this is weird," he said for the third time, shaking his head in disbelief.

Kimberly looked at her watch and decided it was time to call Weststar. She'd gone over her options over and over again on her mind. She only had one chance to walk away from this mess with Wendell - and that was to make a deal with JR.

She knew JR would be reluctant to work with her; in fact, his first instinct would probably be to call the police and hand her over. She was going to need to use every bit of her cunning and powers of persuasion to convince him she could be a valuable asset in his dealings with Jeremy.

She reached for the phone and dialed JR's office. "Yes. This is Kimberly Cryder. I was wondering if JR was coming into the office tomorrow and if he could spare a few minutes to see me. I wouldn't ask, but what I need to talk to him about is of vital interest to the future of Weststar."

She listened to the reply and shook her head. "No. It can't wait until the end of the week. I have to speak to him tomorrow."

She paused again as JR's secretary checked his schedule. "2:00 is fine. Thank you."

She hung up the phone and closed her eyes. She had the appointment. Now all she needed to do was figure out exactly what it is she needed to say to win JR over.

She looked at the picture of Sue Ellen with Crystal's brother again. "This might be the only real bargaining chip I have."

"You alright?"

Sue Ellen and JR had just tucked the boys into bed and were heading to their own room.

"Yes," she nodded. "Just a little queasy."

"You hardly ate a thing at dinner," he told her. "I'll be glad to get you to the doctor tomorrow morning."

"I'm fine, JR," she assured him, kissing him on the cheek. "It was a lovely evening, wasn't it?"

"Yes," he agreed. "Hate to say it, but I'm getting used to having Barnes around."

Sue Ellen laughed. "It's certainly a change for you both."

"Sue Ellen, you and I are eventually going to have to talk about our future plans regarding the business. I'm going back to the office tomorrow. I am going to have to make a decision soon."

"I know, JR," she sighed. "We can talk about it once you've been back a few days and have a better understanding of whether or not you want to keep running Weststar."

"Alright," he said, dropping the subject. "Would you like me to run a bath for you?"

"That would be heavenly," Sue Ellen smiled. "Thank you."

He kissed her and walked into the bathroom. She sat down slowly and placed her hands on her stomach. She wasn't okay, in spite of what she'd told JR. She was cramping horribly and had been since dinner. She just hoped that tomorrow her doctor would be able to provide her with some answers and some relief.

Jeremy laid on his cot with his eyes closed and smiled. Tomorrow was going to be a momentous day. Sue Ellen had a doctor's appointment and Kimberly would make her delivery to JR. Both appointments would have tremendous consequences for the Ewings.

His lawyer had told him that JR and Sue Ellen were planning a third wedding to confirm their commitment to each other. Jeremy had laughed at the very idea of that.

There would never be any happily ever after for JR and Sue Ellen Ewing. He intended to personally see to that.

He was so lost in thought that he never heard the guard approach his cell.

"Mr. Wendell? I have a message for you."

Jeremy got up and walked over to the bars. The guard placed a folded piece of paper in his hands then turned around and walked off. Jeremy unfolded the message and his face broke out into an evil grin as he read it. He shredded the note and walked over to the commode in the corner of his cell and flushed the evidence.

Jack was back at Southfork. Just as Jeremy had planned, no one there had seriously questioned his reasons for showing up so suddenly. Everything was in place now. All that was left to do is sit back and enjoy the destruction of the house of Ewing.

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm so very confused how Sue Ellen is sick but this is so good!! Can't wait to see how things continue to unfold.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

What If

Part 42

"Well, Mrs. Ewing," the doctor said looking over her file, "we'll do more bloodwork. It will take us a few days to get the results though. Looking at what was done at the hospital, I have to tell you, I'm a little concerned about the rapid drop in your estrogen levels. You had your last physical less than six months ago. It's very unusual to see this much of a drop in such a short amount of time."

"What does that mean?" JR asked. "What could be causing it?"

"Any number of things, including the rapid onset of menopause. Of course, it could also be a bad blood test. I'll know more once I get these new results back and I can compare the two. In the meantime, I want to do a pap smear and an ultrasound while you're here."

"An ultrasound?" Sue Ellen asked.

"Yes," the doctor said. "Most of your symptoms can be explained by a change in hormones, but the stomach cramps you described are a little concerning. I just want to rule out a gastrointestinal cause. In the meantime, we'll renew your birth control pills and add some supplements."

"Alright, doctor," Sue Ellen said.

"Is there anything that can be done to keep her from being in pain?" JR asked.

"Let's see what the ultrasound shows and go from there. Don't worry, Mr. Ewing. We'll figure it out and get her feeling well very soon."

"I understand, Mitch," Lucy sighed Into the phone. "It would just be too awkward for Afton in Dallas. Plus, I don't think JR and Sue Ellen would be too happy to have her around."

She twisted the phone chord as she listened to his response.

"No, it's fine. I'll just fly down to Atlanta next weekend. And don't worry. No one here has any clue. Afton's secret is safe."

They chit chatted for a while longer. Lucy told him her parents were coming in on Thursday and how excited she was to see them. He told her about his exciting new job as head of a department at one of Atlanta's largest hospitals. She avoided the subject of Afron as much as she could. The secret felt too much like a lie and Lucy was very uncomfortable with the entire situation. She wished Aton would grow up and do the responsible thing, but until she did, the less Lucy had to do with her, the better.

"My God, how did we accumulate so much stuff?" Jenna groaned. She was sitting on the living room floor surrounded by packing boxes and knick knacks.

"One shopping trip at a time," Ray laughed. "Have you heard from Sue Ellen yet?"

"No. JR is supposed to drop her off here when they're done at the doctor."

"I guess the two of you and Lucy will be finalizing all of the wedding plans today."

"Yes. The florist is coming back by and Sue Ellen's going to take a look at the menu for the reception. Then tomorrow, we're all going into town to buy our dresses. Has JR talked to you about your tux yet?"

"Yeah, we're going to be fitted tomorrow too."

"I just don't know how I am going to get everything done by Sunday, Ray," Jenna shook her head. "This place is hosting a wedding and it's a disaster!"

"Talk to Sue Ellen and see who she recommends to help you. There's no reason for you to try to do it all alone. It's not like we can't afford to hire help."

"I know. You're right, Ray." She stood up and stretched. "I think I'll take a break. I'm going to make a pot of coffee. Why don't you sit down and have a cup with me and tell all about whatever it is that's bothering you."

"What makes you think anything is bothering me?" Ray asked, following her into the kitchen.

"Because I know you," she reminded him. "I watched you yesterday at Southfork. You were keeping your distance from everyone but Bobby and me. So tell me what's on your mind."

"I don't know, Jenna," Ray shook his head. "Something seems off to me. I just have a bad feeling."

"About what?" Jenna asked, pouring them both a cup of coffee.

"Jack," Ray admitted. "He shows up out of the blue right in the middle of all this drama. He says he's broke, but he sure has had enough money for booze and designer clothes. And Clayton offered him a good job. You'd think he would have jumped at the opportunity."

"But he didn't?" Jenna asked thoughtfully.

"No. And he…"

"What?"

"JR and I were having a private conversation in the living room. When we finished we went out to the patio. Jack was in the kitchen. He looked guilty. It crossed my mind he had been eavesdropping."

"Well, I don't know Jack very well," Jenna said. "But I know you. You have good instincts, Ray. I think you should pay attention to them."

"Yeah, well, like I said, I can't put my finger on it, but my gut tells me Jack is up to something," Ray said, drinking his coffee. "I sure hope this is one time my instincts turn out to be wrong."

"Well the good news is nothing turned up on the ultrasound," the doctor said. "The bad news is I won't get the results from the bloodwork and the pap smear for a few days. In the meantime, we'll continue the nausea and dizziness medicine and add some supplements and something to ease your cramping. Do you still use the same pharmacy?"

"Yes, doctor," Sue Ellen nodded.

"Good. I'll have my assistant call your prescriptions in so that you can pick them up this afternoon."

"And there's nothing else you can do for her right now?" JR asked.

"I'm sorry,Mr. Ewing, but no - not until I get the test results back. If it turns out to be menopause, we'll start her on hormone replacement therapy right away."

"And if it's not menopause?" JR demanded.

"Then we'll probably need to do some other tests. But please don't worry, Mr. Ewing. Your wife is in excellent hands. We'll figure it all out. You have my word."

JR nodded and stood up, "thank you, doctor." He extended his hand to Sue Ellen and helped her out of her chair. "Call us as soon as you have her test results."

JR and Sue Ellen were quiet on their way to the parking garage. When they reached their car, JR took her hand and brought it up to his mouth. "Sue Ellen, why didn't you tell me you were having such awful stomach cramps?"

"I didn't want you to worry, JR. I honestly don't think it's that important."

"It's important to me, honey," he told her. "Don't keep how you're feeling from me anymore. Alright?"

"Alright, JR," Sue Ellen promised. He kissed her hand again then opened her car door. After she'd slid inside he closed the door and walked to the driver's side. He wished they didn't have to wait for her test results. He'd feel a whole lot better if they knew exactly what they were dealing with.

"He'll be in the office in about an hour, Mr. Lee. He's very busy, but I should be able to squeeze you in for just a few minutes around noon, will that work? Good see you then." Sly hung up the phone and rubbed her temples. The word had gotten out that JR planned to come into the office today and her phone had been ringing off the hook.

"Hi, Sly. "

"Crystal!" Sly exclaimed, looking up to see the other woman standing in front of her desk. "What are you doing here? I thought JR told you to take some time off."

"Yes, he did. But something has happened. JR and his wife have been so good to me… well, I just don't want to see them hurt. I need to warn them."

"Warn them about what?" Sly asked suspiciously.

"Kimberly Cryder." Crystal answered.

"Oh, dear," Sly sighed. "You'd better sit down and tell me all about it."

"Do you think they'll like it?" John Ross asked hopefully.

"Oh, boys," Ellie assured them, "they are going to love it. I promise."

"It was really expensive," Christopher told her. "Me and John Ross gave all of our allowance money but Aunt Jenna paid for the rest. We should put her name on the card too."

"If you like," Ellie laughed, "but I bet Aunt Jenna was happy to help and doesn't want to take any credit."

"You sure?" John Ross asked doubtfully.

"I'm sure, John Ross," Miss Ellie answered. She looked at the large crystal heart and shook her head with wonder about how thoughtful a gift it was. It had Sue Ellen and JR's names carved into the base along with all three of their wedding dates. "Who picked this out?" Ellie asked.

"Kinda all of us," John Ross told her. "Aunt Jenna asked us what kind of present we wanted to buy. We both said something special that they could remember how much they loved one another. Lucy told what we said to the guy who ran the shop and he suggested this."

"Well, it's the perfect gift!" Ellie gushed. "Let's find a box and some wrapping paper!"

Both boys smiled and nodded and followed Miss Ellie out of the room in search of wrapping paper.

"Sue Ellen," JR cut his eyes to the side so he could see her profile. "I need to tell you something."

"I know that tone, JR Ewing. It's something you don't think I'll want to hear."

"Yes," JR didn't even try to deny it, "but I'd rather tell you the truth and argue about it now than to wait until you find out on your own. Then we have to argue about both what I've done and the fact I didn't tell you about it."

Sue Ellen chuckled a little in spite of herself. "Alright, JR. Tell me...what did you do?"

"I asked Harry McSween to check into Mitch Cooper."

"Why?" Sue Ellen asked, surprised.

"Well he and Lucy have been talking again and she's very excited about it but…"

"But what, JR?"

"But he is refusing to come to the wedding and he's giving her some lame excuse about not wanting to leave Afton alone."

"Afton?" Sue Ellen's body stiffened at the other woman's name. "Why would she have anything to do with whether or not Mitch comes to the wedding?"

"Exactly my point! She's a grown woman. Mitch expects Lucy to believe that he can't come see her out of a sense of responsibility to his grown sister. I smelled bull."

"And did your investigation uncover whether or not it was in fact, bull?"

"Unfortunately, yes," JR grimaced.

"That's the thing about prying into other people's lives. You rarely find out anything you really want to know.," Sue Ellen sighed. "Well, how bad is it?"

"Bad," JR grumbled. "Harry got a local PI to camp outside his apartment building and take pictures. Already he discovered Mitch had a woman living with him. And they have a baby."

"A baby?" Sue Ellen repeated. "Oh, no! Poor Lucy!"

"It gets worse, Sue Ellen. According to the PI, the kid is old enough that it would have been born before Lucy and Mitch were divorced the last time."

"Maybe it's not his baby?" Sue Ellen wondered out loud.

"Maybe," JR shrugged, "but the PI said Mitch seemed very attached to the kid. He's sending me the pictures. I should have them this afternoon."

"Be careful, JR," Sue Ellen warned him. "Don't you dare say one word to Lucy until you know for sure exactly what the whole story is. There's nothing to be gained from causing her unnecessary pain."

"I promise, Sue Ellen. "You have my word."

Jack opened his bedroom door and looked around. The coast was clear. He walked silently to JR and Sue Ellen's bedroom and slipped inside. He glanced around the bedroom and made his way to the bathroom. He took a deep breath and opened the medicine cabinet.

He examined every pill bottle carefully. Sue Ellen was on several types of medication, plus the birth control pills. He took one pill from each of her bottles and one from her birth control packet. He slipped the pills into his pocket and made his way out of the bathroom, back through the bedroom, and out into the hallway.

He went down the stairs and out the front door.

He'd been lucky. He was sure no one had seen a thing.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Is Jack working for Jeremy?? Is he hurting Sue Ellen??

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Not Jack :(

Also when JR uncovers Pamela Rebecca's name it should become clear even without a birth certificate who her father is.

K

Karin Schill

Good that JR and Ray are looking out for Bobby.

Jenna and Miss Ellie's talk was sweet. In a way their relationship is a bit different from her other daughters in laws since she has known Jenna since she was a child.

I didn't see Jack working for Wendell coming at all.

I wonder how JR will react to the photo Kimberly has of Sue Ellen with Cristals brother?

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

What If

Part 43

"And the doctor didn't say anything else?" Jenna asked her.

"No," Sue Ellen shrugged. "She said she wouldn't know anything until she got the test results."

"How long will that be?" Lucy asked.

"A few days," Sue Ellen answered. "Until then, she left my medication the same and added something to ease my stomach cramps."

"Well, don't overdo it, Sue Ellen," Jenna said. "We need you healthy and full of energy for your wedding day."

"Oh, don't you worry about that, " Sue Ellen laughed. "I won't let anything ruin this wedding. Speaking of which Lucy, did you talk to your parents about being seated with the family?"

"Yes," Lucy told her. "They were surprised you asked them. They both said they'd be honored so long as JR was on board with it. They want to make sure he won't be annoyed over it."

"It was JR's idea," Sue Ellen smiled. "He'll be very pleased to hear they've agreed."

"I think it's wonderful you are making the seating of the family part of the ceremony," Jenna said. "I don't think I've ever seen that done before."

"It's very important to JR and me that the whole family feels like a part of this wedding. We want you all to be part of our special day."

"Do you have the order of entrance figured out?" Lucy asked.

"Yes," Sue Ellen nodded. "Jack and Donna will enter first. Then Jenna and Cliff. Then Gary and Valene. Of course Clayton and Miss Ellie will be seated last."

"Cliff Barnes is being seated with the family?" Jenna gasped.

"Of course," Sue Ellen laughed. "He's Christopher's uncle."

"And JR is okay with that? Really?" Jenna sounded shocked.

"He is," Sue Ellen chuckled. "He even laughed about how everyone in Dallas would die of shock."

"Hey, wait, Sue Ellen," Lucy said thoughtfully, "if Clayton is being seated with the family, who is going to give you away?"

"The boys," Sue Ellen beamed. "They'll be on each side of me and give me away together."

"Oh, Sue Ellen," Jenna sighed wistfully, "it's going to be such a beautiful wedding."

"Yes, it is," Sue Ellen smiled brightly. "I can hardly wait."

"How long will it take?" Jack demanded.

The chemist looked up from the assortment of pills lying on the counter in front of him. "A few hours. I'll call you when I'm done."

"No. No calls. I'll come back by in three hours."

"As you wish," the chemist shrugged.

Jack nodded and made his way toward the door. He glanced at his watch and frowned. Three hours to kill. He supposed he should check around for open job opportunities. That way, if anyone asked why he had gone to Dallas, he'd have a reasonable excuse.

JR frowned and sat back in his chair. Crystal and Sly had been waiting for him when he'd gotten to the office. Crystal had told him about her visit from Kimberly Cryder and the picture of Sue Ellen with her brother.

"Sly, you said Kimberly had an appointment to see me today?"

"Yes, JR. At 2:00."

"Alright. Thank you ladies. Crystal, do you need anything?"

"No," Crystal shook her head. "You've already done so much for me."

"Thanks for coming in and letting me know about Kimberly. You call me at the office if you need anything."

Crystal nodded and walked to the door.

"Do you need anything else, JR?" Sly asked.

"Yes. Get Bobby on the phone for me, would you?"

"Of course, JR."

JR turned his chair to the window and stared out at the skyline. What was Kimberly up to? And why in the hell had Sue Ellen been meeting with Crystal's brother? And why hadn't she ever mentioned it?

JR's face grew dark. It seemed like no matter how close he and Sue Ellen got, she would always have her secrets.

"You're not over at Jenna's helping the ladies plan the wedding?" Clayton asked.

"No," Ellie sighed, sipping from her coffee. "It seemed very important to Lucy that she does most of it on her own. I'm going with them tomorrow when they shop for dresses."

"I have to meet JR and the men tomorrow to be fitted for my tuxedo," Clayton grumbled. "Don't know why I can't just wear one I already have."

"Well, you know Sue Ellen," Ellie laughed. "She wants everyone to be coordinated."

"Yes," Clayton agreed. "Have you seen Jack around?"

"No, not since breakfast. I wonder where he got off to?"

"Avoiding me and the offer of honest work probably," Clayton groused.

"We have to let him try to find his own way, Clayton," Ellie told him. "If he decides not to work for you, you can't hold it against him."

"No, I suppose not. But he has to work somewhere. He can't lay around Southfork all day and expect us to treat him like a kept man."

"I'm sure he knows that, Clayton. Just give him some time. I'm sure he'll sort everything out."

"He'd better sort it out. And the sooner the better."

"Jordan," JR said calmly, "I appreciate your concern but I haven't even made up my mind yet."

"All I'm saying is that there's not any reason for you to sell your shares, JR. If you decide you don't want to run Weststar, you can always keep control of the company and hand pick your own CEO."

"Why does this matter so much to you?" JR asked.

"Weststar is the biggest oil company in Texas. How it operates affects my company and the company of everyone in the cartel. We don't need an unknown upstart running things. And you know, it'll affect Ewing Oil too."

"I'll look after Ewing Oil," JR told him. "As for the cartel, tell me why I should care one bit about them? Marilee has been running all over Dallas with Kimberly and Wendell plotting against me."

"JR, you know how Marilee is. She gets excitable sometimes. And I haven't done any business with Wendell or Cryder."

"Why not, Jordan? Did they leave you out of all their schemes?"

"No," Jordan admitted. "They came to me and asked me to throw in with them. I turned them down."

"Why?"

"It seemed personal," Jordan sighed. "There wasn't any real money to be made and you know I don't get involved in personal feuds. That's why I always declined to get in between you and Cliff Barnes."

"Well, Jordan, like I said, I haven't made up my mind about Weststar yet. But if you want, give me some names that would be acceptable to you as CEO. I'll talk them over with Sue Ellen."

"Sue Ellen?"

"She has as much stock as I do," JR reminded him. "She'll be an equal partner in any decision I make."

"Of course," Jordan smiled. "By the way, the wife and I are looking forward to the wedding."

"Not as much as I am," JR laughed, standing up to walk Jordan to the door. "Send me those names. I'll get back to you, Jordan."

JR followed Jordan Lee out into the reception area and walked him to the elevator. Once he was gone, he moved back toward Sly's desk. "Do you have any messages for me from Harry?"

"No, JR. Not yet."

JR nodded and went back into his office and shut the door. He was waiting on the information on Mitch Cooper, but he had another reason he wanted to talk to McSween; he wanted to know why Sue Ellen had met with the man who blew up his oil rig - and he wanted to know before the wedding.

Jack sat on the park bench and tossed bread crumbs to the birds. He checked his watch and realized it was almost time to head back to the chemist.

He's been roaming the country aimlessly for months when Wendell's man had found him. At first, Jack didn't have any interest in what Wendell was offering him. The money was insane, but Jack didn't want to come back to Dallas. He'd had enough of the Ewings and Cliff Barnes to last him a lifetime.

Jeremy had been persistent though. He'd reminded Jack about Jamie's death, how she'd be alive if Cliff hadn't hurt her and Sue Ellen hadn't shipped her off to California, how they had fought over the ten percent of Ewing Oil, how greedy they'd all been, and how April and Cliff had wound up with what had rightfully belonged to Jack Jeremy reminded Jack in excruciating detail that the Ewings didn't care about anyone or anything other than themselves and their precious Ewing Oil and they deserved whatever they got.

"You okay, Sue Ellen?" Jenna asked, her voice concerned.

Sue Ellen took a deep breath and nodded. "Just a dizzy spell."

"Get her some water," Jenna told Lucy.

Sue Ellen took the glass from Lucy and drank it all in a few gulps. "Thank you," she said, handing the glass back to her niece, "I'm much better now."

"Sue Ellen, you're shaking. And you're as white as a ghost. Maybe we should go back to Southfork so you can get some rest," Lucy suggested.

"Yes," Sue Ellen nodded. "I think that's a good idea."

"I'll help you get her to the car," Jenna told Lucy. "Should we call JR?"

"No," Sue Ellen waved her hand. "I'll be fine and there's no reason to worry him."

"Are you sure, Sue Ellen?" Jenna pressed.

"Yes," Sue Ellen managed a small smile, "I just need to rest a bit. I'll be just fine, ladies. I promise."

JR looked up from the papers he was studying when his intercom buzzed. "Yes, Sly?"

"Mrs. Cyder is here, JR," Sly's voice came out of the machine.

"Show her in," JR said and stood up.

"Kimberly, come in and have a seat," he nodded when she came into the office. "Sly, leave the door open, please."

"Hello, JR," Kimberly said as she took a seat. "It's good to see you back in the office again."

"Cut the crap," JR snapped. "Just give me Wendell's package and then get the hell out of my office."

"What?" Kimberly breathed out in shock. "How did you know?"

"For a woman who claims to be so smart, you sure do act stupid sometimes. Crystal told me."

"JR, this could all have very serious implications regarding Sue Ellen. I can help you with this."

"It'll be a cold day in hell whenever I need your help with anything, particularly if it involves my wife," JR said menacingly. "And if I find out that you had anything to do with Wendell's scheme to blow up my rig, I'll have your ass thrown in jail so fast, it will make your head spin. Now, get out."

"But, JR, Please listen to me!" Kimberly pleaded.

"Get out now, Kimberly," JR growled. "Don't make me have to tell you again."

"JR, I need your help!" Kimberly sounded panicked. "I'm afraid Jeremy will have me thrown in jail - or worse!"

"Well that's just too damned bad. You should have thought about that before you decided to come after me. You're on your own, honey."

JR watched as she stood up from the chair and walked to the door, her shoulders slumped and her head down. He reached over and picked up the phone. "Bob? I've got it. You and Ray get over here. Sue Ellen is in real trouble."

Sue Ellen rolled over and checked the time. She'd slept about an hour. Her stomach had been cramping like crazy, but the new medication had helped her a lot. She sat up slowly and fought back a wave of nausea. She didn't understand how menopause could possibly make her feel this poorly. She wondered for the thousandth time if there was something else going on with her body.

She got out of bed and walked to the bathroom, intending to take a pill for nausea before it got too bad. She opened the medicine cabinet and frowned slightly. Her medicine had been moved around. She kept the bottles in a specific order so that she could find the pill she needed quickly. The bottles had all been rearranged.

"Maybe JR was looking for something," she sighed to herself as she put everything back in its proper place. Her frown depended when she realized there was a pill missing from her birth control packet. How had that happened? Surely she hadn't taken two pills this morning by mistake?

"This is so strange," she muttered to herself. She made a mental note to ask JR if he'd been searching for something in the medicine cabinet. It just wasn't like him not to put everything back where it belonged.

Jack stared at the paper the chemist had given him. He didn't understand half of what the guy had told him, but he was sure it was bad. Sue Elllen's medication had been tampered with.

Jack wondered how Jeremy had managed to do it. There almost had to be an accomplice in the house, someone with access to JR and Sue Ellen's bedroom. Then again, if Jeremy already had a plant at Southfork, why did he need Jack?

It crossed Jack's mind that maybe JR had tampered with Sue Ellen's pills, but he dismissed the idea very quickly. JR seemed very happy and very much in love with his wife these days. And even if that was all an act, Jack doubted seriously that JR would stoop to poisoning the mother of his son. No. Someone else was hurting Sue Ellen.

He walked over to a payphone and dropped in some dimes. "Listen, this is Jack Ewing," he said when the person at the other end of the line came on. "Yes, I know I said no phone calls, but I have a question. How would you go about poisoning those pills? Could it be done by anyone?" The answer made him scowl darkly. "Thanks," He muttered, hanging up the phone.

Jack knew it was time to find JR and confess the whole story. He wished he had more time to sort out his personal issues, but he had to act now. If Sue Ellen kept taking these pills, she was as good as dead.

"Calm down, JR," Ray sighed. "All you have is one picture. You can't even tell where it was taken. For all you know Sue Ellen just happened to bump into the guy on the street."

"They're sitting down at a table together, having drinks!" JR thundered. "Doesn't look like a chance meeting to me!"

"JR, there's bound to be a reasonable explanation.Just go home and ask her instead of assuming the worst," Ray admonished him. "You don't have to get McSween to dig around. You know Sue Ellen won't lie to you."

"Look at this," Bobby spoke up. He held up the picture of Sue Ellen and Crystal's brother and pointed to a splash of color in the bottom left hand corner. "That's a lady's shoe," Bobby said. "There was someone else at that table with them."

"Kimberly Cryder maybe?" Ray asked.

"I doubt it," Bobby shook his head. "There's no way that Sue Ellen would have had drinks with Kimberly and not mentioned it to JR."

"Unless it was before we reconciled. Sue Ellen was meeting with Kimberly a lot before the Weststar takeover. We need to find out who that shoe belongs to and when that picture was taken.," JR said.

"Why do you think Jeremy had Kimberly bring you this stuff?" Ray asked. "If he wanted to use it to hurt Sue Ellen, why not just do it?"

"To sew doubt and cause friction in their marriage?" Bobby wondered out loud.

"I don't think so," JR replied. "There's no doubt he'd love to make Sue Ellen and me miserable, but he could have done that with just the picture."

"Then what is he up to?" Ray asked again.

"Wendell is facing murder charges and life in prison. The case against him rests heavily on Crystal and her testimony. He knows I have some influence over Crystal. This is his way of letting me know his defense will be to accuse Sue Ellen."

"Based on one picture?" Bobby asked incredulously.

"No. Not just the picture. Sue Ellen had a drink with Crystal's brother. That means she touched that glass and drank out of it," JR paused and shook his head. "Wendell has her finger prints. He's going to try to frame her for the explosion if I don't have all the charges against him dropped. If I were him, that's what I'd do.

"My God, JR," Ray breathed out, "You're right. That's why he sent you a copy of his lawyer's brief on bail. They're going to tell the judge they have proof that someone other than Wendell planned the explosion."

"Yes," JR nodded. "And that someone is going to be Sue Ellen.'

"Well, what do you want to do, JR?" Bobby asked.

JR was silent for a moment as he organized his thoughts. "If we can figure out where and when that picture was taken and who else was in it, we can blow a hole in Wendell's frame job."

"The best way to do that is for you to go home and ask Sue Ellen about it," Ray told him.

JR's eyes grew dark again. He knew Ray was probably right; but a part of him didn't want to take the chance that Sue Ellen might lie to him. As much as he hated to admit it, having her evade the truth would break his heart.

"Excuse me, JR," Sly stuck her head into the door. "You wanted to know as soon as Harry got here."

"Send him in," JR nodded.

"JR," Harry stopped when he saw Bobby and Ray. "Is everything alright?"

"Just fine, Harry." JR told him. "What have you got for me?"

Harry handed him an envelope. "Here's those pictures from Atlanta. We have some good shots of the mother."

"Fine, thank you Harry," JR took the envelope and put it in his briefcase.

"Sly said you had something else for me to check out."

JR grimaced and looked over at Ray. "No," JR finally answered. "That'll be all, Harry."

"Alright, JR. Call me if you need anything else," Harry nodded at Ray and Bobby and left the office.

"Good decision, JR," Ray said.

"JR, what mother in Atlanta?" Bobby asked.

"It doesn't matter," JR said. "It has nothing to do with Wendell or Sue Ellen." He picked up his briefcase and retrieved his hat from the hat stand. "Well, boys, let's go home and see what my wife has to say for herself."

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

What If

Part 44

Kimberly stood by the window and stared out over the Dallas skyline. She was devastated.

JR and Jeremy were at war, and she was caught in the middle. She'd known JR would be reluctant to accept her offer of help at face value, but she never would have believed he would throw her out of his office without even hearing what she had to say.

It was Sue Ellen, of course. Ever since she had saved him at the Weststar board meeting, JR had become inconveniently devoted to his wife. The very mention of her name seemed to trigger an emotional response from JR.

It occurred to Kimberly that perhaps she was approaching her problem from the wrong angle. JR wasn't his old self. He didn't seem to be able to control his emotions. Jeremy on the other hand - he was cold and calculating and unemotional.

If there wasn't a deal to be made with JR, perhaps there was a deal to be made with Jeremy. She walked back to her desk and picked up her phone. It was time to call Jeremy's lawyer and set up a meeting.

"Sue Ellen?"

Sue Ellen looked up from the papers she'd been reading. "Hi, JR," she smiled. "You're home early."

"Yes," JR agreed. "Something has happened and I need to talk to you about it."

"What is it, JR?" her voice full of concern. "Is everything alright?"

"No," JR told her. He set his briefcase down on the bed, opened it, and pulled out the picture of her and Crystal's brother. "Honey, I need you to look at this picture and tell me if you remember this man. I need to know when and where this picture was taken."

Sue Ellen reached out, took the picture, and studied it carefully. "That was a few weeks ago, JR. When you and I were separated. I was looking for a house. This was a Saturday morning. I looked at several homes. This man was the caretaker at one of them. He asked me if I wanted to see the garden."

"Why were you having drinks with him, Sue Ellen?"

"I wasn't having drinks with him, JR," she told him. "I felt… I don't know, a little dizzy. He told me to sit down at the patio table and he brought me some water. Why are you asking me about this? And how did you get this picture?"

"I'll tell you everything in a minute, Sue Ellen, I promise. First I need to know who else was there with you. See that woman's shoe? Was that the real estate agent?"

"No," Sue Ellen shook her head. "That's April's shoe. She went house shopping with me that day. JR, what is going on?"

JR sank down beside her on the bed. "The man in that picture isn't a caretaker, Sue Ellen. He was Crystal's brother. He didn't give you a glass of water because you felt bad, he only wanted your fingerprints. Jeremy Wendell sent me this picture. He's trying to set you up, honey."

"Set me up for what?"

"For the explosion of my oil rig and the murder of three men."

"Where's JR?"

Bobby looked up from his chair at the kitchen table. "He's upstairs with Sue Ellen, Jack. Whatever it is you want, it will have to wait."

"It can't wait," Jack told him, spinning around and stomping towards the living room.

"Now hang on!" Ray chased after him, grabbed him by the arm, and stopped him dead in his tracks. "You can't disturb them right now."

"Let me go, Ray," Jack growled. "I promise whatever they're doing up there isn't more important than what I have to say."

"I doubt that," Ray told him.

"Really?" Jack bit off, "you don't think JR would want to know right away that someone is putting arsenic in Sue Ellen's birth control pills?"

Jeremy smiled and waited patiently for his guard to undo his handcuffs. He sat down at the visitation table and absently rubbed his wrists.

"20 minutes,* the guard told him and left the room.

"Well, Kimberly," Jeremy grinned, "I must say I'm surprised to see you here. Did your meeting with JR not go well?"

Kimberly narrowed her eyes. "How did you know I had a meeting with JR?"

"Don't be obtuse, Kimberly. You know I have people keeping an eye on all of my interests."

"You knew I'd look at that package before I delivered it to JR."

"Of course," he laughed. "i would have been disappointed if you hadn't. I knew you'd go to him and try to make a deal to save your hide too. And I knew he'd more than likely throw you out of his office on your dainty little rear."

"So what now?" Kimberly asked him. "You can't possibly believe one picture and a set of fingerprints will be enough to convict Sue Ellen. She'll be able to explain that picture which will also explain the fingerprints."

"How will she explain the witnesses I have lined up against her?" Wendell asked. "Besides, I don't need to convict her. I only need to show reasonable doubt in my case. Sue Ellen will never be charged and she'll certainly not go to trial. But the publicity will be delicious. Think about it. She and JR were separated. She'd plotted with us for months to take him down, then changed her mind. That poor, poor woman ran back to her husband only to have him mistreat her again. She couldn't take it anymore, so she decided to take her revenge by blowing up his oil rig."

"You can't prove any of that," Kimberly said.

"I don't have to prove it," Jeremy shrugged. "The insinuation will be enough to cause a scandal. And poor Sue Ellen. I hear she hasn't been feeling well. The stress of the situation may have terrible consequences for her health."

"And what part would you want me to play in this scheme?" Kimberly asked.

"I'm not sure that I need you at all, my dear. You've already served your purpose."

"So what happens to me?"

"I don't know, Kimberly," Jeremy said smoothly. "And frankly I can't be bothered to care."

"You'd better start talking, Jack," Bobby narrowed his eyes, "or so help me I'll let JR tear you apart."

Jack raised his eyes and looked around the table. Bobby and Ray looked angry, but JR was so furious he was literally shaking with rage. "I guess I should start at the beginning," Jack sighed.

"I was working as a handyman at a hotel in Phoenix in exchange for room, board, and booze. A PI working for Wendell found me. He knew all about my falling out with the family. He knew about Jamie and the fight over her shares in Ewing Oil. He knew I was angry and bitter. And he knew I was flat broke. He offered me $250,000 in cash if I would come back to Southfork and act as a spy for Wendell. I said no and told him to get lost."

"Keep going," Ray pushed him.

"But a few days later, Wendell showed up himself. He took me to dinner and talked to me about my sister. How she would still be alive if it hadn't been for all the fighting and obsession over Ewing Oil. He reminded how none of you mourned her at all; only fought over the property she left behind. He was very convincing and he upped his offer of cash to $500,000. So I said yes."

"You said he wanted you to spy for him," Bobby said. "Exactly what kind of information was he interested in?"

"Sue Ellen," Jack shrugged. " He wanted to know if she and JR were getting along. He wanted to know what kind of mood she was in. Mostly though, he wanted to know about her health - how she was feeling."

"I never talked to Wendell directly once I got back to Southfork. It was always the PI who talked to me. I told him JR and Sue Ellen seemed to be very happy. I told him she seemed happy in general. I also told him that she was having a lot of dizzy spells and seemed to be sickly -pale and tired. He knew she had an appointment with her doctor. He told me to make sure she was getting her prescriptions filled at her regular pharmacy. So this morning I went into her medicine cabinet and looked at the labels. And I took a pill from every pill bottle."

"Why?" Bobby demanded.

"I was suspicious. The only reason he could possibly want to know where her prescriptions were being filled is if he…"

"If he had someone at the pharmacy tampering with her medicine," JR finished for him.

"Yes. So I took the pills to a chemist to be analyzed. This is what he found," Jack handed the paper the chemist had given him to JR.

"I don't understand this," JR snapped, handing the paper to Ray.

"It's a chemical breakdown of every pill. They're all normal - except her birth control pills. JR…," he stopped and took a deep breath, "Sue Ellen is slowly being poisoned with arsenic. They've been putting it in her birth control pills."

Sue Ellen paced paced and forth in front of the bed. Bobby had come upstairs and told JR he needed to get down to the kitchen right away. JR had told her to stay put. She wondered if whatever they were talking about had anything to do with Jeremy Wendell and his plans to frame her.

Sue Ellen has known Jeremy hated her. She didn't blame him really. She'd used him to snap up as much Weststar stock as she could and then turned around a s backed JR. Plus, he's made several sexual advances toward her. The first few times, Sue Ellen had been gentle in her rejection, but the last time she has been brutal with him.

Still though, it seemed to her that Wendell would have to be completely unhinged to try to frame her for the explosion. Surely he had to know that the accusations against her would never stick.

She wondered if Wendell had more to incriminate her than just the picture of her with Crystal's brother and her fingerprints. She sat down on the bed beside JR's open briefcase and picked the picture up again. She noticed another envelope and wondered if it contained more fabricated evidence against her. She picked up the envelope and opened it carefully. She pulled out its contents and her eyes widened in shock. She flipped through the dozens of photographs, not believing what she was seeing.

"No, JR," she whispered. "Please, God. Not again."

She stood up a little too quickly and was overcome by waves of dizziness and nausea.

"JR, how could you do this to me?"

Her last thought before she lost consciousness was that JR would never change; he would always betray her love.

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh Lord... I assume Sue Ellen found the pictures of the mother in Atlanta? I feel like it's Afton with Cliff's baby but I'm not sure if the timeline works out?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Ugh Flafton. :tv:

Hopefully it is a misunderstanding and JR will have a good (and honest) explanation.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

What If

Part 45

"So, what are we going to do now?" Ray sighed.

"Get Sue Ellen to a doctor!" JR shot back. "Everything else can wait."

"Be careful where you take her," Jack warned him. "Wendell knew about her appointment this morning. That means he has to have someone in her doctor's office."

JR ran a distracted hand through his hair. "The doctor who treated me in the hospital," he said thoughtfully. "He gave me his card."

"Just be careful, JR," Jack said. "Wendell has so many spies I don't know who you should trust. He knew so much about her, where she was spending her time and with who. The only thing he got wrong was her drinking."

"And I guess you cleared that mistake right up for him?" Bobby accused.

"I never told him anything useful," Jack defended himself. "All he ever got from me was confirmation that Sue Ellen and JR seemed to be completely reconciled and that she hadn't been feeling well. After I got back to Southfork, I realized my anger at you all was misplaced. Jamie's death was an accident. No one is at fault for what happened to her."

"Well, you did figure out her medicine was being messed with and figure out how," Ray said. "I guess that counts for something."

"Come on, Ray!" Bobby growled, "he should have told us what was going on right away. Sue Ellen could be very sick…"

Bobby's words were interrupted by a panicked scream from upstairs.

"What the hell?" Ray jumped out of his chair.

"JR!" Lucy's voice yelled. "Come quick! It's Sue Ellen! I can't wake her up!"

Jenna sat at the kitchen table and drank her tea. The boys were upstairs, excitedly planning how they were going to decorate their new rooms as movers packed her and Ray's belongings up in boxes.

Jenna couldn't help but to feel a little sad. She'd loved this house and she and Ray and been very happy together here, but she'd never felt like it was really hers. Ray had built it for Donna, and even though the other woman had never lived here, Jenna still felt her presence sometimes.

She jumped a little when the ringing phone disturbed her thoughts.

'Hello?" she said into the receiver. "Oh my God, Ray! No, no...the boys are here. You go on to the hospital. I'll look after them. And I'll find Miss Ellie and Clayton. Call me as soon as you know how she is! I love you."

Jenna hung up the phone and shook her head. Poor Sue Ellen! She'd been through so much recently. That poor woman deserved some peace and happiness so badly.

"What now?" Jenna muttered when the doorbell rang. She got up and moved from the kitchen to the living room and opened the front door. Her eyes grew wide with shock when she saw who was standing in the doorway.

"Hi, Jenna. It's good to see you again."

"Hello, Donna. Please. Come in."

"I don't care about any of this!" Jeremy raged. "You should have been contacted by JR Ewing by now!"

"As I said, Mr. Wendell," the lawyer sighed, "I haven't heard from him. I can contact him if you like."

"No!" Jeremy snapped. "I want him to come to me."

"As you wish," the lawyer stood up. "If there's nothing else…"

"There is," Jeremy told him. "Have the PI meet with Jack Ewing again. I want to know how Mrs. Ewing's appointment went this morning."

"Mr. Wendell," the lawyer tried to choose his words carefully. "I don't understand this need for Information about Sue Ellen Ewing. It's dangerous. It could possibly lead to other charges and you're in enough legal jeopardy at the moment."

"You just do as you're told," Jeremy narrowed his eyes. "Let me do all the thinking. You just push the papers. I'll be out of here in a matter of days. I know exactly what I'm doing."

"Oh, Ray!" Ellie rushed to her sons and Lucy in the hospital waiting room. "Have you heard anything?"

"No," Ray shook his head. "We just got here."

"Where's JR?" Clayton asked.

"He rode in the ambulance with Sue Ellen," Bobby answered. "We haven't seen him yet either."

"This is just awful," Miss Ellie fretted. "Poor Sue Ellen!"

Lucy watched her family out of the corner of her eye, but she didn't speak. Her grandmother was right; it WAS awful...and for more reasons than Sue Elllen's poor health.

She'd found Sue Ellen passed out of the floor of her and JR's bedroom. That was bad enough, but what Lucy had found scattered around Sue Ellen on the floor had shook her to her very core.

JR had managed to fool them all; but he hadn't changed. He was still the same lying, nasty, cheater that he'd always been. Even if Sue Ellen managed to recover from the poisoning, Lucy knew her broken heart wouldn't heal anytime soon - if ever.

And JR needed to pay for what he'd done - to all of them.

"Mr. Ewing, I've ordered bloodwork to check the levels of arsenic in Mrs. Ewing's blood. How we move forward with treatment will depend on how much is in her system."

"Why hasn't it shown up in her previous bloodwork?" JR demanded.

"Because we don't check for arsenic in standard tests,' the doctor told him. "If what you're saying is true and we're able to confirm poisoning, we'll have to notify the police."

"I've already done that," JR snapped. "There's a detective with the Dallas PD on his way over here now."

"Alright. We need to do some work on your wife now," the doctor said gently. "We need you to go to the waiting room with your family. I'll come get you the minute we know anything. Nurse?" the doctor waived her over, "could you please escort Mr. Ewing out to the waiting area?"

"I want to know the minute she wakes up," JR told the doctor.

"Yes," the doctor nodded. "I promise."

"The boys are fine, Ray. You stay there with JR. Everything is okay here. Call me as soon as you hear anything. Love you."

Jenna put down the phone and turned her attention back to Donna. "Sorry about that."

"No need to apologize," Donna shook her head. "I hope Sue Ellen will be okay."

"Yes, me too," Jenna sighed. "She is so excited about the wedding. Would be a shame if she had to postpone it."

"Yes," Donna agreed. "Jenna, I noticed you didn't mention to Ray that I was here."

"No, he has enough on his mind right now without having to worry about his wife and his ex-wife having coffee together."

"I suppose. But there's really no reason for him to be worried. I only came because I didn't know if things would be awkward when we saw each other again and I thought it would help to talk alone before we spent time with the whole family."

"Donna… " Jenna stopped to take a deep breath. She didn't really know how to put what she was feeling into words.

"Jenna, Ray and I loved one another very much. But we were never meant to be together. We were too different. I was too demanding and he was too proud. I know in my heart that he is very happy with you. I can see it in his face whenever he talks about you and Lucas and Charlie. And whatever was missing with me, he found with you, that's for sure."

"What do you mean?" Jenna asked.

"He would have never left Dallas for me. He certainly wouldn't have moved to Switzerland.He wouldn't even have considered it. Jenna, I am always going to be a part of Ray's life because of Margaret, but that's all I am to him - the mother of his daughter. You are the love of his life. And I am very happy he found you."

Jenna studied Donna's face closely and then smiled. She knew the other woman was right. Whatever threat she had thought Donna might be to her marriage to Ray was all in her head. "Thank you, Donna," she smiled. "I'm glad you stopped by today."

"Me too," Donna smiled back at her, "me too."

"Mr. Ewing?" JR looked up to see the doctor standing in front of him.

"Yes?" JR stood up. "Is my wife awake?"

"Yes. We found very elevated levels of arsenic in her blood. I have called in a poison control specialist. He will recommend a treatment. We'll both need to talk to the police detective as soon as possible."

"He's right there," JR pointed at McSween who was sitting in the corner questioning Jack. "Can I see my wife now?"

"Not yet," the doctor told him. "She is extremely agitated right now. It's probably just the effects of the arsenic, but…"

"But what?" JR demanded.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Ewing, she says she doesn't want to see you."

"What?" JR asked, confused. "Why?"

"As I said, it's probably just the effects of the arsenic. After the poison control specialist sees her I will give her something to calm her down. You can see her then."

"Thank you, doctor," Lucy appeared from out of nowhere. "Please keep us posted."

The doctor nodded and walked away.

"I don't understand," JR muttered sadly. "She's probably scared to death. She needs me. Why wouldn't she want to see me?"

"Oh, I don't know JR," Lucy said bitterly. "Maybe it's because she found out your dirty little secret."

"What are you talking about?" JR snapped at her.

"She knows all about Afton, JR," Lucy told him. "And so do I."

"Should we go to the hospital?" April asked.

"No, Bobby asked us to head over to Jenna's and help with the boys. They'll both be very upset about Sue Ellen being in the hospital."

"I can't believe this," April shook her head. "I know Jack was angry, but to spy for Wendell? And not tell JR that he suspected Sue Ellen was being poisoned?"

"Yeah.," Cliff agreed. "He has a lot to answer for."

"What are they going to do about Wendell?" April wondered. "He has to be dealt with."

"Oh, I imagine JR will want to personally take care of Jeremy Wendell," Cliff said. "I wouldn't give a wooden nickel for that man's life once JR gets through with him."

"Mrs. Ewing? Did you understand what I just said?"

"Yes," Sue Ellen nodded at the doctor. "You've ordered tests to check my kidney and liver function to make sure the arsenic hasn't done any permanent damage."

"Yes," he told her. "And we'll be giving you something to counteract the arsenic in your system as well. Do you have any questions for me?"

"No. Thank you, doctor."

"Alright. May I bring Mr. Ewing back to see you now? He's very worried about you."

"No," Sue Ellen said firmly. "I don't want to see JR or anyone else. I just want to be left alone."

The doctor nodded and stood to leave the room. He wondered how long he would be able to keep JR Ewing at Bay. He suspected that sooner, rather than later, JR would storm in to see his wife - whether she wanted him or not.

"Lucy, what the hell are you babbling about?" JR snapped at her. "My wife is sick and I don't have time to deal with your foolishness!"

"I'd lower my voice if I were you," Lucy warned him. "Unless you want the whole family to know about your creepy obsession with my sister-in-law."

"I am not going to tell you again," JR growled, "I have no idea what you're talking about!"

"Really?" Lucy mocked him. "So all those pictures of Afton in her underwear that were scattered around your bedroom floor when I found Sue Ellen don't belong to you?"

"Pictures?" JR repeated, clearly confused. "Of Afton? In her underwear?'

"God you're good," Lucy laughed bitterly. "If I hadn't seen them myself I might actually believe you had no idea what I was talking about. You're lucky I picked them up and put them back in your briefcase before everyone else got upstairs and saw for themselves how sick you are!"

JR took a deep breath. He was truly confused. He wanted to strangle her, but he also wanted to keep calm until he figured out what the hell she was talking about.

"Lucy, I honest to God don't know about any pictures of Afton in my briefcase and…"

JR groaned when it all clicked in his mind. "Harry. Pictures of the mother…"

"What?" Lucy snapped.

"Lucy… I had a PI down in Atlanta checking on your ex-husband."

"What? Why?!"

"I… well hell, Lucy, I wanted to make sure he wasn't lying to you about why he wasn't coming to the wedding. The excuse about looking after Afton didn't wash with me. The PI told me Mitch had a woman and a baby living with him. I asked him to go back and get pictures of the baby's mother. He brought them to the office this afternoon right after I found out about what Wendell was doing to Sue Ellen. I put them in my briefcase and forgot about them. Lucy, I swear I never even looked at them, and I had no idea that they were of Afton!"

"JR," Lucy's voice held barely contained fury. "When are you going to learn that you can't pry into other people's lives on a whim? You can't control everything and everyone around you! Don't you see how much destruction it causes?"

"Yes," JR said, "Lucy I know I was wrong, but I swear I was only trying to protect you."

"JR, the road to hell is always paved with good intentions. Now Sue Ellen thinks…"

"Sue Ellen thinks the same thing you did," JR bit off. "That's why she doesn't want to see me."

"JR, I am mad as hell at you," Lucy told him. "You had no right to try to interfere in my relationship with Mitch."

"I'm sorry, Lucy," JR turned his head away. "Truly. I just assumed Mitch was lying."

"I believe you," Lucy said, reaching up to touch his cheek to turn his face back to her. "And I think as stupid as it was, it was kinda sweet of you to want to protect me. JR, that baby is almost four years old and she belongs to Afton. They've been staying with Mitch since before he and I split the last time. I know all about it. He's not hiding anything from me. Afton has had a very hard time since giving birth. She's had some problems. That's why Mitch doesn't want to leave her alone."

"Sue Ellen told me once that my biggest problem was that I judged everyone else by the standards of my own character. She's right, I guess," JR admitted. "What am I going to do Lucy? How am I going to get Sue Ellen to listen to me and believe in me now?"

"Don't worry, JR," Lucy hugged him. "We'll think of something. I promise. But YOU have to promise ME. No more prying into the lives of other people!"

"I swear it, Lucy. Never again," JR grinned slightly, "well I promise... family anyway… business is another matter all together."

"Alright, JR," Lucy shook her head. "I guess that will have to do."

Jeremy slammed his fist down onto his cot. He was having a hard time keeping his frustration under control. WHY hadn't JR contacted him yet?

Kimberly had delivered the package. He was sure JR had already worked out that Jeremy intended to build his defense around framing Sue Ellen. Why hadn't JR called his lawyer yet? Surely Ewing would be willing to make a deal with Jeremy in order to keep his precious wife's name out of the papers linked to three murders.

Of course, he supposed it was always possible that JR would try to outsmart him instead of trying to make a deal with him. That would be a huge mistake. Jeremy had cards left to play that JR couldn't even begin to imagine. Part of him actually hoped he got to play then.

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Poor Sue Ellen. I hope she can recover now that they know what's been happening with her, and I feel bad for JR too (even when he tries to do something good it blows up in his face).
I hope both he and Sue Ellen can get through this and I hope the family comes together and finds a way to nail Jeremy's arse to the wall.