What was Dynasty’s most heart-tending moment?

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actually, it stood out because of Jeff's outburst. He was in pain. In another episode shortly after, he had to have that talk with LB, at the top of the stairs I think.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actually, it stood out because of Jeff's outburst. He was in pain. In another episode shortly after, he had to have that talk with LB, at the top of the stairs I think.

Yeah, that's a good point.

...Though I can't help but be reminded of a review for Season 5, focusing on a scene where LB asks Jeff about Fallon's whereabouts: "'Where's Mommy?' the kid asks, before giving the smug smile of a child actor who managed to memorize one line." :lol:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The issue is to have proper heartwarming moments you need to have subtlety and tact, something Dynasty stopped possessing after season 2. Their heartwarming moments thus become rather phoney and fake.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What do you need for heart-rending moments?

Well, first of all a good back story, a good lead up and for it all to make some sort of logic sense.

So... yeah. Dynasty pretty much ignored all of that when they tried to go with heartrending/warming moments. There were flashes of it, but they never quite made it there.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Rare moment of tenderness between Krystle and Alexis
Sorry but I don't see it. It's not like Alexis would slap Krystle in the face for telling her the good news, this is about the good news and yet it showed how different these women are.
Alexis has a natural phoney-ness when it comes to kind feelings she is supposed to display and it seemed to me that Blake and Fallon were the only ones who sensed that.
Now I'm sure she's happy that Steven is still alive, but to get that news from Krystle creates an awkward situation not to mention a missed opportunity because it wasn't Blake who played the night visitor.
"I want you and Adam to be there" / "Oh we will, of course we will".
The score at the end of the scene (Alexis' apartment score, I believe) adds a mood to the scene that doesn't quite befit the topic of the conversation and to me it seems to underline the different vibes coming from these characters.
upload_2018-5-19_10-26-2.png

Actually, it stood out because of Jeff's outburst. He was in pain
I'm sorry but the actor didn't do a very good job with this, neither did Jack Coleman when he tried to poop out a tear - and the others barely reacted to Jeff's outburst which is exactly what would have made that scene so spectacular.
John Forsythe looks as if he performs at gunpoint and Linda Evans cries because she's just standing there. If only they had showed that these characters were holding back their feelings for the sake of appearances.
Joan Collins' performance looks relatively dignified, with just enough 1950s melodrama.
Well, first of all a good back story, a good lead up and for it all to make some sort of logic sense
I think it totally depends on the acting. That's why a moment is a moment, and not a story. And that's why I felt sorry for Alexis when her wicked plan didn't work out, eventhough it didn't make sense to feel that way, story-wise.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
to get that news from Krystle creates an awkward situation not to mention a missed opportunity because it wasn't Blake who played the night visitor.

Oh, I really liked that she got the news from Krystle. I really liked that scene. I'm not sure it was moving, but it was very interesting to see these two in this situation.

he tried to poop out a tear

Ha!

a moment is a moment, and not a story

I like that. It's not quite the same thing, but a music journalist I like just ranked all the Rolling Stones LPs in order of quality, and I was most interested in listening to what he considers to be the best tracks on the worst albums. I guess that's sort of the musical equivalent of a moment (good song) as opposed to a whole story (bad album).

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think it totally depends on the acting. That's why a moment is a moment, and not a story. And that's why I felt sorry for Alexis when her wicked plan didn't work out, eventhough it didn't make sense to feel that way, story-wise.

A "moment" can work if we're talking about a catfight or an explosion (or a giant mass-shooting at a wedding) etc. When it comes to emotional stuff it doesn't really cut it to have random scenes for me, no matter how good the actors are. I need a proper crescendo I guess.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sorry but I don't see it. It's not like Alexis would slap Krystle in the face for telling her the good news, this is about the good news and yet it showed how different these women are.
Alexis has a natural phoney-ness when it comes to kind feelings she is supposed to display and it seemed to me that Blake and Fallon were the only ones who sensed that.
Now I'm sure she's happy that Steven is still alive, but to get that news from Krystle creates an awkward situation not to mention a missed opportunity because it wasn't Blake who played the night visitor.
"I want you and Adam to be there" / "Oh we will, of course we will".
The score at the end of the scene (Alexis' apartment score, I believe) adds a mood to the scene that doesn't quite befit the topic of the conversation and to me it seems to underline the different vibes coming from these characters.
View attachment 11032
"A natural phoney-ness" -- haaa!

I do like, though, that Krystle was the night visitor.

Willie Oleson said:
I'm sorry but the actor didn't do a very good job with this, neither did Jack Coleman when he tried to poop out a tear - and the others barely reacted to Jeff's outburst which is exactly what would have made that scene so spectacular.
The S.A.D. and other things caused a bad performance from JJ --- everything had been so frozen for a couple of years by this point that it couldn't work. And the lack of reaction from other, as you say, resulted in a tantrumus interruptus.

Willie Oleson said:
John Forsythe looks as if he performs at gunpoint and Linda Evans cries because she's just standing there. If only they had showed that these characters were holding back their feelings for the sake of appearances.
Joan Collins' performance looks relatively dignified, with just enough 1950s melodrama.

Although I rather liked Linda's minimalism, at least in her case. She credibly blinked back tears without affectation.

Of course, affectation is what we want from the others. Phony, shameless affectation.

Last edited by a moderator:

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In all honesty, I'm finding it hard to remember many moments in which the show genuinely moved me in that way (towards anger, frustration, murder: sure....). I'm not sure I've even ever cried when watching the show (with anger, frustration: Sure). I find what Tommie is saying accurate: How could it, when heartwarming moments often have to build, and be a result of, well-told stories? Of course, there are exceptions.

I'd say perhaps Claudia's goodbye in early Season 3 moved me when I first saw it years ago, as well as when Krystle holds Danny, thinking he'll be hers, and then later hands him over to Steven.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"A natural phoney-ness" -- haaa!
Is true! The official word* for it hasn't been invented yet because no-one ever thought that it could exist.
It makes perfect sense for this character, and the paradoxical nature of this characteristic perfectly explains why it's so hard to explain why Alexis never contacted her children.
The fear of Blake's threat should have worn off after spending so many years away from him.
The reason is Alexis, and that's all we need to know.
Natural phoney-ness, a subconscious need or desire to deceive and/or to put on an act, is a flaw that may or may not be related to narcissism.
It's not for me to find out, but at least they could update the dictionary.
I do like, though, that Krystle was the night visitor.
It's fine with me, but I think Alexis would have preferred to get that news from Blake, and not her nemesis.
The only heartrending part in this scene is the news, I don't get these "warm" feelings from the characters (in Alexis' case that makes sense, see explanation above).
However, if this scene was written with the intent to create a heartrending mood then it totally fails imho.
And it's funny that Krystle and Fallon's reconciliation is often described as phoney when that scene actually does create a heartrending mood.
And I don't mean the hugging, I could have done without that, but the mere idea that *I* felt sorry for Fallon (and that could have been the first time) because she was being rejected the only time she actually tried to help Krystle.
And it's precisely *this* moment:
upload_2018-5-23_23-13-49.png

No sighing, no eye-rolling, no "fine, whatever". Because this time it's not fine-whatever anymore, and if I can recognize it then Krystle (a much nicer person than me) should recognize it too.
(the score is extremely melodramatic, I agree, but that's not the actors fault).

*come to think of it, why not just call it "Alexis"?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, the scene with Krystle and Fallon in the conservatory is fine with me until Krystle, walking out, pauses in the hall and then goes back. She should have hesitated in the hall, and then continued leaving --- and that way her relationship with Fallon could become a touch-and-go kind step-by-step improvement thingy.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
and that way her relationship with Fallon could become a touch-and-go kind step-by-step improvement thingy.
I like that better for the scene itself, but this situation doesn't last forever. Steven comes back and Blake is going to be fine too. What reason does Fallon then have to behave friendly towards Krystle?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Credible pacing.
How many more episodes, or seasons? What would be the starting point, because that's what this is.
It takes a lot of energy to dislike someone who's never hurt you, of course I'll always prefer the bitchy Fallon but I don't think she had the energy that her mother had.
I also would have preferred this to be the beginning of a reconciliation, and to see how Fallon would try to adjust to her new feelings, or to be more precisely, feelings she no longer has i.e. she still wants to dislike her stepmother but she just can't and eventually she realizes that it takes less effort to just relax and treat Krystle like the decent human being she is.

But they decided to put all this in one scene, the angle being that she realizes that Krystle isn't a phoney gold digger and that she really really loves Blake.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How many more episodes, or seasons
I dunno. Just more.
Willie Oleson said:
What would be the starting point, because that's what this is.
It takes a lot of energy to dislike someone who's never hurt you, of course I'll always prefer the bitchy Fallon but I don't think she had the energy that her mother had.
But one scene is not enough.

Blake and Steven appeared to have made up, but they were actually related to each other, and one assumes they'd come to some understanding about the other while apart -- although of course they didn't.

But Krystle had every reason to suspect Fallon's gesture was disingenuous, even though it wasn't.
Willie Oleson said:
I also would have preferred this to be the beginning of a reconciliation, and to see how Fallon would try to adjust to her new feelings, or to be more precisely, feelings she no longer has i.e. she still wants to dislike her stepmother but she just can't and eventually she realizes that it takes less effort to just relax and treat Krystle like the decent human being she is.
Yes.
Willie Oleson said:
But they decided to put all this in one scene, the angle being that she realizes that Krystle isn't a phoney gold digger and that she really really loves Blake.
But I still say they did it too fast. The only change I want in that scene is Krystle not going back into the room from the hall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
Not sure I could pick any specific entire scene per se, but there were a few heart-rending moments that may be easily overlooked upon casual viewing, but they have stuck in my mind.

For instance, when Blake and Krystle visit Fallon at the hospital at the beginning of episode 17 of season 2 bringing her delicacies from St. Dennis and she - still reeling for finding out Blake may not be her father and unable to connect with her child - throws a fit and wants them to leave her alone.

Blake and Krystle stand in silence stunned, then Blake quietly says 'all right', kisses her head and they leave her alone. It seemed to me like a sweet gesture of a loving father who respects his daughter's wish, despite not being able to understand it.

Claudia was obviously great at expressing her pain and sadness. In the next episode, Krystle tries to cheer Claudia up by taking her out for lunch at - where else? - St. Dennis Club.

Claudia tries to explain to Krystle how finding her daughter is the only thing that matters in her life. She adds how everything else is meaningless - people, friendship, this city, this restaurant, this salad. It's all meaningless. I felt sorry for both women after seeing that.

Last edited: