• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

What was the last book you read?

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've just finished read Hamlet which is an old book written about a hundred years ago. It's about this bloke who, quite frankly, seems to have rather a lot of issues going on and who can't tell a hawk from a handsaw when the wind is nor-nor-east. His bird just can't cope so she tops herself because he fancies his mum. Mind you, I wouldn't kick her out myself.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

An award-winning instant classic.

I haven't read anything by Sarah Waters before but I might start chasing up some of previous novels now.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Son of Black Beauty by Phyllis Briggs

Proving that the unnecessary sequel is not a recent Hollywood invention, this was published in 1950, 73 years after Anna Sewell's original. That said, Phyllis Briggs does a good job a capturing the tone, albeit with a somewhat darker tale, although right on the first page she oddly has her protagonist throw doubt on whether he really is Beauty's son at all.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Truth of the Matter by Gough Whitlam

Inside account of the still-controversial dismissal of the Whitlam Labor Government in Australia in 1975, written by the former Prime Minister himself.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Delightful. I expected it to be quite lightweight. It is, but in the best way.

Some nice background and insight to the different eras in which the series has run. And it captures the tone of the series well.​

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just finished 'Bambi The Forest Deer'. It's about a young deer who can't even stand up properly without falling over who is always very cute, lovable and well behaved. I was glad when the little bastard got shot.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Keys of the Kingdom by A.J. Cronin. I loved it! Well-written, wonderful story, often exciting, and ultimately hopeful.:rainbow:

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Boethius' The Consolation of Philosophy.(Translated by Richard Green)
Very accessible and it really did have an impact on how I view life.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The New Moon Race by Morris Jones

Examines the renewed interest in sending both manned and unmanned probes to the moon by various countries around the world. It was published in 2009 so does not cover the most recent developments such as Project Artemis but still gives an idea of what may be in store.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just finished reading At the Existential Cafe by Sarah Bakewell. If you like philosophy and/or early to mid 20 th century European history, you'll love this. It's very engaging and interesting. Bakewell helped me understand some philosophies I had a hard time getting.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just finished The Chain by Irish writer Adrian Mckinty. It's a fast paced thriller with an intriguing and disturbing premise.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Death of the Planet of the Apes by Andrew E.C. Gaska

In-continuity novel revealing what happened to Taylor after he disappeared during the second film.

I like the way the author has combined characters and incidents from not only the original film series but both TV series as well, added a dose of imaginative new material, and created a single coherent narrative while at the same time resolving a few inconsistencies.