Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I've just finished reading 'Do Auxiliary Electrical Circuits Still Function To 100% Potential In A Black Hole When Faced With A Negative Reactor'.

It was quite a read but probably not for most people on here because I doubt any of you would understand it, except maybe Sar because she's dead brainy like me.

:laughs:
To be honest dear Mo, I don't feel it stretched me enough intellectually.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've finally finished reading My Life by Bill Clinton. I felt if I don't read this while in lockdown, I'm never going to do it.

I bought this book about 15 years ago and made many failed attempts to read it but previously never got further than the first few chapters. The problem was the start of the book goes into tedious detail about his childhood, including books he read and what he thought of them and characters he portrayed in school plays, that I quickly got bored with it. It's also a very long book, about 1,000 pages and it doesn't get to the part of this life when he first stands for elected office until about a quarter the way in. It is however a fascinating insight into the man and I learned a lot about him including his genuine lifelong commitment to improve opportunities for black people and those of other races and his strong and deep Christian faith. He's quite defensive at time about his record and the most interesting part of the book was his time running for and being governor of Arkansas.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
9780099575191.jpg

I'm on Page 98. It's 1931 and they've just started playing Bing Crosby on the radio.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've finally finished reading My Life by Bill Clinton.
Clinton was and is a man of many contradictions, as I suppose we all are.
I read The Clinton Tapes by Taylor Branch a few years ago, which is also a fascinating, almost day by day, account of his White House years.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Clinton was and is a man of many contradictions, as I suppose we all are.
I read The Clinton Tapes by Taylor Branch a few years ago, which is also a fascinating, almost day by day, account of his White House years.
In his autobiography he talked about the contradictions saying he lived parallel lives of how the public viewed him versus the man with the personality flaws that he tried to keep hidden. In the epilogue to the book he said both lives were becoming reconciled and he was continuing to strive to achieve this.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Art of Ramona Quimby, by Anna Katz (explores all the different ways that Ramona Quimby [Beverly Cleary's classic children's literary character] was depicted in the books about her [all her facial variations, situations, what have you, from all the major illustrators], with commentary by the author, and essays by Annie Barrows and illustrator Jacqueline Rogers [in essence, a veritable Ramona Quimby museum in one big volume]).

artoframonaquimby1.jpg
artoframonaquimby2.jpg

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Minds of Billy Milligan by by Daniel Keyes
Another multiple personality case study. The condition is even rarer in males and this was also the first time it was used in an insanity defence at a criminal trial.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Home Work by Julie Andrews.

After wading through Bill Clinton's epic autobiography, I decided to read something much lighter. The book only covers Julie Andrews's Hollywood years from when she was playing Eliza Doolittle on Broadway to starring in the film That's Life in 1986. There were no major revelations in the book although she does hint at a possible relationship between her husband Blake Edwards and Lynne Frederick but she stops short of saying anything happened between them. She never explicitly discussed the extent of Blake's drug abuse, only using the euphuism of him "self medicating" and suggests that he only used prescription drugs and nothing illegal. I got the feeling that the most interesting stories in her life were not in the book and this was just a sanitised version of her reality.

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm on to Finding Freedom (Meghan and Harry), what do you reckon @Mo Mouse ?

It wouldn't be my sort of read, Sar, but each to their own. Effectively, they seem to want to 'earn' money for being who they are rather than what they are prepared to do which is something I don't like but I am just one mouse and not the voice of the people who seem to love them.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
It wouldn't be my sort of read, Sar, but each to their own. Effectively, they seem to want to 'earn' money for being who they are rather than what they are prepared to do which is something I don't like but I am just one mouse and not the voice of the people who seem to love them.

I intend to do a follow up by reading Lady Colin Parker's version (which is at the moment still ridiculously overpriced).

Mo Mouse

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I intend to do a follow up by reading Lady Colin Parker's version (which is at the moment still ridiculously overpriced).

Being the brainiest bird on the forum, it doesn't surprise me when you read dead grown up books, Sar. I bet they haven't even got pictures in, have they.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Being the brainiest bird on the forum, it doesn't surprise me when you read dead grown up books, Sar. I bet they haven't even got pictures in, have they.

They do but I skip over them Mo. Useless to me.

Mo Mouse

LV

Reaction score
Awards
They do but I skip over them Mo. Useless to me.

I bet you know all about square roots and long division, don't you Sar. Were you one of those child prodigies who was studying rocket science when you were 5 whilst all the other kids were writing stories about what they di in the holidays ?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Yes, to be honest @Mo Mouse, I'm still only 11. I haven't told many people but they are shocked by my advancement, especially when it comes to dissecting Dallas.

Mo Mouse

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, to be honest @Mo Mouse, I'm still only 11. I haven't told many people but they are shocked by my advancement, especially when it comes to dissecting Dallas.

Well, I'm only 12, Sar. Maybe we could arrange a play date or do our homework together.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I'd really like that @Mo Mouse - you could show me your cheese collection. Maybe share some.

Mo Mouse

LV

Reaction score
Awards
People often tell me that they have seldom met anyone so cheesy.