What was the last documentary you watched?

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Watching six part documentary about Skidmore, MO on Sundance called "No One Saw a Thing" about the murder of Ken McElroy in the center of town in broad daylight in front of dozens of witnesses who ALL refused to talk.

Haunting.

Last edited:

Miss Ellie Fan

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Watching six part documentary about Skidmore, MO on Sundance called "No One Saw a Thing" about the murder of Ken McElroy in the center of town in broad daylight in front of dozens of witnesses who ALL refused to talk.

Haunting.
Is this also the town that Lisa Montgomery killed the pregnant girl in?

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Murder documentary (seems to be all I'm watching at the moment) about the trial of Oscar Slater. 'Scotland's Murder Mysteries' on Britbox, 8 part series focussing on different crimes, but first one on Oscar Slater - a German Jew convicted of the murder of an elderly spinster in 1908 - except he didn't kill and it was eventually overturned after eighteen years of hard labour.

Ukdallasfan

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Possibly, from what I’ve seen there are unanswered questions, a lot of them in fact.

Barbara Fan

Dallas Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
This hasnt been shown yet but looks as if it will be very moving and poignant

I dont really know who Kate Garraway is other than she is on morning TV and i dont watch it, but she is in the news herself over the past year as her husband developed Covid in March 2020 was put into a medically induced coma and has never come out of it and that must be horrendous for her and her family and I cant even begin to imagine what that must be like. He has lost 8 stone in weight and fed through a tube, is now free from Covid but has done enormous damage to many organs of his body and no one knows if he is "locked in " or not. She has appeared in many newspapers and magazines over past year talking about it and has now made a documentary on it which airs in UK next week

I think I will need the kleenex to watch it as he is the longest admisison to hospital with Covid pateint in UK and the scary thing is - he is only in his 50s

The first sneak peek at a forthcoming documentary centred around Kate Garraway and husband Derek Draper has been released.

ITV dropped a teaser trailer aimed at Kate and her husband Derek, the former Labour Party advisor, who wa rushed to hospital with Covid last year.

Derek was hospitalised with the deadly bug in late March, during the first wave of the pandemic, before entering a coma on April 5.

Now, an ITV documentary Finding Derek will explore Kate's family's grief and traumatic calendar year, as the first anniversary of Derek's illness arrives.

The sobering look at Kate's grief comes as she continues to support kids Darcey and Billy, with dad Derek still in hospital some 12 months on.

Kate has regularly updated GMB viewers over Derek's condition during sobering conversations with co-stars Ben Shephard, Adil Ray, Ranvir Singh, Charlotte Hawkins and Dr Hilary Jones, as well as Piers Morgan before his dramatic departure from the show.

James from London

Telly Talk 20+ Years
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've just done the first episode of Thatcher: A Very British Revolution. Fascinating stuff.

superman fan

LV

Reaction score
Awards
On Netflix us it was about the night stalker very scary! But good

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've just done the first episode of Thatcher: A Very British Revolution. Fascinating stuff.

I watched this series last year and it's a top class documentary. I was half expecting it to be the usual deification of the woman but I found the series to be a very balanced account of her life. It didn't change my opinion of her (I still detest most of what she stood for) but it's undeniably an engrossing account of the woman.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Knock Down The House (2019)

I recently watched this Netflix documentary which followed the campaigns of 4 progressive woman who were standing for seats in the USA House of Representatives in 2018. It focuses heavily on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as she was the only one of the group that won but the stories of the others were equally fascinating. Seeing what they had to overcome and achieve just to get on the final ballot was quite inspirational. Whatever your politics, it's a really well made documentary and an interesting insight into how American politics work.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Black Maternity Scandal (2021)

I watched this last night on Channel 4, a documentary that went out under their Dispatches banner. It addressed something of which I wasn't previously aware: that black women are 5 times more likely to die in childbirth than white women. It wasn't because black women are more likely to come from a more deprived background but because on attitudes and actions of healthcare professionals, often rooted in racism.

We heard shocking stories of how healthcare professionals ignored the concerns of black women, told their partners not to interfere and threated to have them removed from birthing rooms and how black women were less likely to be given pain relief because doctors think black people can tolerate more pain than other races. It was a real eyeopener.

I always thought Rochelle Humes, who presented the documentary was a lightweight, light entertainment presenter but here she was really good with a nice balance between empathy for the women and seriousness for the subject being investigated.

Catch it on All4!

pete lashmar

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched the Tina Turner documentary yesterday @pete lashmar and it is definitely a must see! Don’t worry I promise not to spoil anything for you but I would definitely watch it.
Just finished watching Tina and absolutely adored it. The story of her and her mother was heart wrenching and really shocked me. But wow, what a woman. A beautiful documentary.

James from London

Telly Talk 20+ Years
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched this series last year and it's a top class documentary. I was half expecting it to be the usual deification of the woman but I found the series to be a very balanced account of her life. It didn't change my opinion of her (I still detest most of what she stood for) but it's undeniably an engrossing account of the woman.

Yes, I thought they did a brilliant job of humanising her without requiring me to like her. And it’s just fascinating to see what passions she invokes in those old Tory boys, even now. (I kind of hate to admit it, but I found Kenneth Clarke’s final anecdote, about going to visit her when she had Alzheimer’s and playing along with her delusion that she was still Prime Minister, very poignant).

Most importantly, The Crown got her tiny Downing Street kitchen spot on!