What was the last film you watched?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Oh - I have such a soft spot for Supergirl. Mostly based on nostalgia, but I've grown to appreciate it in a whole different way. In fact I saw it in the cinema again a few years ago as part of a series of bad films. It got so many laughs for all the wrong reasons.
I love this film, and always have. If it was on TV I would always watch it. I recently ordered it on DVD along with a boxset of all the original Superman films, and the 2006 Superman Returns.
There's so much to love: Dunaway and O'Toole chewing up the scenery; Brenda Vaccaro quipping away like a sci fi version of Laura Avery; film Doris-from-Fame with her poster of Chris Reeves's bulge; and Cecil Colby's son in various states of undress (an early crush for my young self several decades ago :oops:).
Yes to all of this! All the reasons I love it. And Hart Bochner is gorgeous in it, who wouldn't love the idea of him being under a spell to love you! Yes please.
I've always been a bit of secret Superman geek.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I recently ordered it on DVD along with a boxset of all the original Superman films, and the 2006 Superman Returns.

Nice. I love an occasional super-binge.

Hart Bochner is gorgeous in it, who wouldn't love the idea of him being under a spell to love you! Yes please.

And even if the spell wears off he's still pretty good with bark, so it's win/win really

I've always been a bit of secret Superman geek.

Your secret identity is safe with me. :ms:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
What were the other movies?

Oh, it's an ongoing monthly thing and the films they show are quite random. I haven't been to many of them but do get notified. Some of them are the Psycho Killer Lesbian Elves type thing, or terrible hidden Schwarzenegger films. They're often based on current trends in film. For example, I recall they showed Shark Attack 3 recently to coincide with the release of The Meg.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have such a soft spot for Supergirl.
I love Supergirl, too. In all her incarnations. Like so many of those films, the production values are good. They just made the wrong script.
I recently ordered it on DVD along with a boxset of all the original Superman films,
I have the DVD, too. The Reeve era is not complete without it.

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Scamp. Starring Richard Attenborough, Dorothy Alison, Colin Petersen, Terence Morgan, Charles Lloyd-Pack, Jill Adams, Margaretta Scott, Geoffrey Keen

The Whole Truth. Starring Stewart Granger, Donna Reed, George Sanders. Also starring Gianna Maria Canale. With Michael Shillo, Peter Dyneley, Hy Hazell, Jimmy Thompson, Richard Molinas, John Van Eyssen, Philip Vickers, Agnes Lauchlan

The Mob. starring Broderick Crawford

Cosh Boy. Starring James Kenney and Joan Collins. With Hermione Baddeley and Hermione Gingold

The Good Die Young. Starring Laurence Harvey, Gloria Grahame, Richard Basehart, Joan Collins, John Ireland, Rene Ray, Stanley Baker and Margaret Leighton, Robert Morley with Freda Jackson, James Kenney, Susan Shaw, Lee Patterson, Sandra Dorne, Leslie Dwyer

Cat and Mouse. 1958. Lee Patterson, Ann Sears, Hilton Edwards, Victor Maddern

The Guns of Navarone.

The League of Gentlemen. Starring Jack Hawkins, Nigel Patrick, Roger Livesey, Richard Attenborough, Kieron Moore, Terence Alexander, Bryan Forbes, Norman Bird, Nanette Newman, Doris Hare, Patrick Wymark, Ronald Leigh-Hunt, Nigel Green, Gerald Harper, David Lodge, Melissa Stribling and Oliver Reed

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

I enjoyed it! Some of the language and pronunciation was a little American/contemporary at times, but not enough to spoil a decent film.​

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
First Man. I don't think I can say anything of value to add to what the film and the two main actors (Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy) offered. And the trailer doesn't do it justice because despite the grand topic, it is overall a low key movie about a low key character who happened to be thrust in the global limelight. Though it does have its nail biting moments.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Girl King (2015)

About the Christina, the 17th century Queen of Sweden.

In a way it's a prequel to The Abdication (1974) which starred Liv Ullmann, although it contradicts it in some of the details.
Greta Garbo also played her in Queen Christina (1933).

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yesterday I went to the new Halloween in the cinema, the movie was better than I thought, a real classic slaher horror movie.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I watched Cosmopolis yesterday. Almost the entire film takes place in the back of a stretch limo. It reminded me a lot of The Man Who Fell to Earth. R-Patz is in every scene and he's a really compelling, weird screen presence. More like a young Christopher Walken than a young Bowie though.

And I watched Maggie's Plan the other day. Really enjoyable and funny, with interesting, unpredictable characters, and a neurotic Woody Allen vibe.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh I forgot, I also watched this, which was lovely:

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
17 Again

Matthew Perry youthens into Zac Efron thanks to a mystical janitor with unexplained motivations and tries to redo high school.

I've seen this sort of thing done better. Efron is okay but he and Perry are not really enough alike to convince me they are the same person and Thomas Lennon steals the show from both of them. It's interesting to seem him with Matthew Perry in almost the reverse of the roles they later played in The Odd Couple on TV.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool -- a beautifully tender, compassionate, intimate love story. Full of heart and very moving.

Added bonuses: Julie Walters reprising her Educating Rita scouse accent and Billy Elliot dancing, joyously, to 'Boogie Oogie Oogie' by Taste of Honey.